Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Sharapova announces failed drug test - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Sharapova announces failed drug test - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Sharapova announces failed drug test - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Sharapova announces failed drug test - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Sharapova announces failed drug test - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Sharapova announces failed drug test - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Sharapova announces failed drug test - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Sharapova announces failed drug test - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Sharapova announces failed drug test - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Sharapova announces failed drug test

+9
Slippy
legendkillar
Tenez
Veejay
Autumnleaf
Daniel
N2D2L
noleisthebest
luvsports!
13 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Sharapova announces failed drug test - Page 2 Empty Re: Sharapova announces failed drug test

Post by Autumnleaf Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:11 pm

Still shocked by this story. Not by the PED use obviously, but by the sheer stupidity and the fact that she got busted in a sport with a history of silent bans. 

So what really happened there? Her story that she and her team simply didn't notice is incredibly hard to believe, since that drug is on the watch list since early 2015 and on the drugs banned from 1.1.2016 since september 2015. Enough time to get on top of it imho. I can believe some athletes with lesser ressources to fail to notice, because they simply don't have such a team behind them. Anyway, since there is no limit to human stupidity, it could still be true.

Now other possibilities would suggest that she expected to get away with PED use because she is a top star in tennis. So why didn't she then? Did she piss off the wrong people either in ITF or even in her own team?

ETA: Dick Pound came out saying now that several tennis players had tested positive for Meldonium (presumably in 2015) which was one of the reasons they banned the drug.

Pilic outed Alexander Zverev as a Meldonium user, because the poor boy is suffering from diabetics.  Cry
http://www.vavel.com/en-us/tennis-usa/616815-alexander-zverev-uses-meldonium-with-doctors-permission-according-to-croatian-drug-expert.html
http://www.mopo.de/sport/sascha-zverev-im-halbfinale-die-mopo-erklaert-das-wunderkind-3718274

It's incredible how many sickly people are among those athletes. Sports must be dangerous to health. Winking

Last edited by Autumnleaf on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:20 pm; edited 3 times in total

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Sharapova announces failed drug test - Page 2 Empty Re: Sharapova announces failed drug test

Post by Autumnleaf Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:14 pm

Veejay wrote:But this is why Sharapovas case makes no sense,if the drug was legal then technically she wasn't doing anything wrong for the last ten years so why lie about the reasons why you were taking the drug?
The truth is that she doesn't want to admit to using PEDs

Exactly. Her statement was aimed at getting sympathy from the public. That's why she conjured up some mysterious illnesses and even family history of illness that would necessitate the use of the drug. In short every indication except the one she was really taking it for: performance enhancement. Of course that story of hers was so far-fetched that it fell right back on her feet.

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:16 pm

Not sure why you say that. Anyhow until they catch the real suspects I m not going to be happy on such a poor case. Big name no proof.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:37 pm

Tenez wrote:Not sure why you say that. Anyhow until they catch the real suspects I m not going to be happy on such a poor case. Big name no proof.
Don't tell me you believe her heart-breaking story about the terrible illnesses that afflict her/ her family? Of course the poor gal couldn't find any other drug to treat those illnesses with, especially since she had to import them from Eastern Europe. There aren't many bigger names in WTA, Serena is the obvious one missing and the authoritys have been very lax on her for sure.

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:55 pm

Tenez defending Sharapova here is one of the funniest things I've seen. Kind of proves what I've thought all along about the motives of Tenez's accusations.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:56 pm

By catching Sharapova, the ITF and WADA have shown that no stars are too big or too popular to be given a pass on this issue.
They have also shown that the anti-doping mechanisms, despite not being 100% perfect, can still be quite effective which is a good thing.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:18 pm

"Tenez defending Sharapova here is one of the funniest things I've seen. Kind of proves what I've thought all along about the motives of Tenez's accusations."

I'm curious to know what that may be??
I don't think he has a hidden agenda but seeing that you do I would love to know what you think that is

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:31 pm

That he's giving the benefit of the doubt to players he likes.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:23 pm

I don think tenez likes Sharapova but he will have to confirm that

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:32 am

Russian foreign minister Larvov:

"The recent situation raises a lot of questions when a flurry of bans and accusations has been aimed at our leading, great athletes."

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/russian-foreign-minister-questions-meldonium-ban

Yes, they all dope, but as far as I am concerned this is nothing but a political game.
Sharapova is a doper but Serena Williams is clean.

In short, West is "best".

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:51 pm

Murray is the latest loud mouth to jump on the " ban her" bandwagon
As I said on another thread,it's always the biggest dopers that are the loudest about doping

http://www.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/10199999/andy-murray-criticises-sponsor-over-maria-sharapova-backing

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Tenez wrote:Not sure why you say that. Anyhow until they catch the real suspects I m not going to be happy on such a poor case. Big name no proof.

There is proof. That's why she's been found GUILTY of testing positive. There has  be evidence before you can call someone guilty - that's the entire basis of our democratic legal system.

As for Murray, he's been vocal about banning cheats every time.  I HIGHLY doubt he is a doper - and I can't stand the man.  But that's why needing proof is important - otherwise you just go into Witch Hunt mode and consider anyone who can run 100m a cheater.

You guys on here need to really examine yourselves.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:09 pm

You don't need proof to suspect someone of doping
You have voiced your suspicions on several players multiple times,so where's your proof?

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:36 pm

I'd bet my life's savings on Murray being on the juice. Big Grin British sports really took an upturn before the London Olympics. Just like Spanish sport around Barcelona 1992. Probably a coincidence. Winking

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:04 pm

I believe that Murray was on steroids when he was being coached by Brad Gilbert
This is my opinion based on what I know about steroids,I don't know what/ if he is on now

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:25 pm

Autumnleaf wrote:
Don't tell me you believe her heart-breaking story about the terrible illnesses that afflict her/ her family? Of course the poor gal couldn't find any other drug to treat those illnesses with, especially since she had to import them from Eastern Europe. There aren't many bigger names in WTA, Serena is the obvious one missing and the authoritys have been very lax on her for sure.

I don't care about her story. I simply do not think one second she took that drug knowing it was being tested by WADA. Had she known, she woudl not have taken it. As simple as that. In that respect it makes her very different from the real dopers who try to avoid testing. .

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:28 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Russian foreign minister Larvov:

"The recent situation raises a lot of questions when a flurry of bans and accusations has been aimed at our leading, great athletes."

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/russian-foreign-minister-questions-meldonium-ban

Yes, they all dope, but as far as I am concerned this is nothing but a political game.
Sharapova is a doper but Serena Williams is clean.

In short, West is "best".

Exactly. There is a famous French politician saying exactly the same thing...and of course he is not popular with the media.

And AL...doping is very rampant in women tennis....it's not just Serena! Far from it unfortunately. I'd say 99% do..including Sharapova.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:14 am

Veejay wrote:You don't need proof to suspect someone of doping
You have voiced your suspicions on several players multiple times,so where's your proof?

You aren't doing that/  You are judging him guilty and stating it as a fact.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:41 am

FedererKing wrote:

If he was judged he'd already be stripped of all his titles.
Unforunately, we can only say what we think based on what we see.
And what we see is very obvious.

As you said so pointedly in the Star Wars thread, you don't  need to open the nappy to know what's in it...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:32 am

Another proof this is just a political witch hunt:

==================================
Sharapova:

“A report said that I had been warned five times about the upcoming ban on the medicine I was taking. That is not true and it never happened,” she said. “That’s a distortion of the actual ‘communications’ which were provided or simply posted on to a webpage.

“I make no excuses for not knowing about the ban. I already told you about the December 22, 2015 email I received. Its subject line was “Main Changes to the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme for 2016.” I should have paid more attention to it. But the other “communications”? They were buried in newsletters, websites or handouts.”

==================================

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:01 am

I still don't get why you and tenez believe this is political cause Sharapova chose to come out and make this public

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:38 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
FedererKing wrote:

If he was judged he'd already be stripped of all his titles.
Unforunately, we can only say what we think based on what we see.
And what we see is very obvious.

As you said so pointedly in the Star Wars thread, you don't  need to open the nappy to know what's in it...

That's true - but Star Wars being crap has an awful lot of real evidence - and stating it is crap is not libelous.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:14 pm

Veejay wrote:I still don't get why you and tenez believe this is political cause Sharapova chose to come out and make this public

She chose to cause she woudl have looked much worse if she had to tried to hide it...and then they would have let it out....and I am pretty sure they would have.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:13 pm

I can understand that it would have looked worse had she tried to cover it up out and somehow the result was leaked,but I'm convinced that the ITF covered nadals failed drugs up and I believe that they were to deal with Sharapova the same way,possibly suspend her but give her the option to give whatever reason she wanted to for her absence
if you look at suspicious cases like Henin,,It seems like Henin was first suspended or banned before she went public claiming that she wanted to retire

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:46 pm

Veejay wrote:I can understand that it would have looked worse had she tried to cover it up  out and somehow the result was leaked,but I'm convinced that the ITF covered nadals failed drugs up and I believe that they were to deal with Sharapova the same way,possibly suspend her but give her the option to give whatever reason she wanted to for her absence
if you look at suspicious cases like Henin,,It seems like Henin was first suspended or banned before she went public claiming that she wanted to retire

Yes but that is our very point. One cannot read or hear a simple piece of positive news about Russia in our media, they are back to the top of the hate list cause they do not wish to surrender. There is this constant bashing of Russia as it is the last rampart to the western "New World Order" and its army NATO. Sharapova is an important symbol of Russia and tarnishing it is trendy nowadays in our press.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:42 am

Tenez wrote:Sharapova is an important symbol of Russia and tarnishing it is trendy nowadays in our press.
Don't see how a girl who has lived in the US since the age of 7 (!) can be an important symbol of Russia. She is a product of American sports, having been trained in the Bolletieri Tennis Academy in Florida.

She was sponsored by major American companies like Nike, managed by IMG and founded her own business centered in the states. She's been the highest earning woman athlete for many years now and it wasn't for her sporting dominance.

"Williams has established herself as arguably the most dominant player in the history of women’s tennis during her two-decade career. But for all of her brilliance, she has looked up to Sharapova when it comes to endorsement earnings since Sharapova was dubbed the “It” girl after her 2004 Wimbledon victory. Much has been made of the disparity, and Sharapova’s 10-year run atop the world's highest paid female athletes. Race, corporate bias, likability and beauty are all part of the discussion in why Sharapova earns almost twice as much as Serena from endorsements and appearances, despite only one-quarter the singles Grand Slam wins."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2015/07/09/serena-williams-vs-maria-sharapova-by-the-numbers/#7b5c731b4f3a

So her Russian background hasn't hurt her marketability in the US in the least.

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Do you really think Russian atheletes are the ones doping? Do you think it is more rampant there than in the UK or States? So why has the press been so harsh versus Russian athletes? It was based on a report cautioned from teh West...Are we paying attention to doping reports published by Russians or Chinese? There is a lot to be suspicious about Serena, Froome, Murray and many others....but hey never a word!

Sharapova is probably Russian's most known athlete around teh world. Even though she is well embedded into the western world and so since a young age, she will always be for us all "the Russian player" so she is indeed a huge "Russian sport" symbol. It is difficult to argue against.

I am not saying she was definitely singled out because of her nationailty but in today's circumstances, I 'd say I am 95% certain.

Our press seemed also too happy about it.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:05 pm

Tenez wrote:Do you really think Russian atheletes are the ones doping? (...)

Our press seemed also too happy about it.
Russia clearly has/had a state protected/ sponsored doping system which was exposed. (Sharapova wasn't part of that though) The fact can't be excused by pointing fingers at other wrong-doers. Nope, they are not the only ones, they are not even the only ones caught using the Latvian drug. They might be less refined which I think is likely, although... I'm always surprised just how basic the drugs used by caught athletes are. The caught athletes might also have less clout economically.

Valuable athletes that bring money to their sport will probably be protected more from their federations. Lately I am incredibly suspicious of the Norwegians. Their sweep of x-country skiing is a joke and the margin of their wins even more so. For some reason they are immune to suspicions. It's not extended to Western Europeans in general though, as e.g. an Austrian skier with outstanding results in the Tour de Ski was busted for EPO right before the Sochi Olympic games. So I conclude that Norwegians might have special protection due to the status of the sport in their country and the money they bring in accordingly.

Lance Armstrong is another example for having special protection from the UCI because he brought in an American audience/sponsors. The same is true for Chris Froome wrt the British market. It's a classical conflict of interest, why catch someone and harm the reputation of the sport?

The Sharapova case is truly special. Is this the most high profile case in global sports ever? It might very well be. Maybe they tried to strike a deal with her, but they couldn't agree on terms? Her allegations wrt "players citing injuries" instead of taking the fall points to that. Why would ITF/WTA bring down a player that is a rich source of money for them? Certainly not simply because she has a Russian passport, when she is an American darling at the same time.

The press will always be happy about any high profile doping cases as it brings a lot of attention and scandal. They make a living out of that. That's also why the Sharapova wasn't getting much attention around here - a foreign doper in what is a fringe sport - story doesn't sell.

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:09 pm

deleted - DP

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:15 pm

Sharapova gets suspended as a UN goodwill ambassador
(Did she ever even do anything for them??)

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:01 pm

Sharapova gets suspended as a UN goodwill ambassador
(Did she ever even do anything for them??)

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:27 pm

Probably not...but that is to me a pretty clue that it is politically motivated.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:10 pm

It's definitely become political now lol
I don't I've ever seen her do any humanitarian work,she's too full of herself to do that anyway
You'll never see her use her status to help others the way Federer does
He is always taking time out of his busy schedule to contribute to the various charities he supports
I must say she's really fallen from grace in a spectacular way,there's nothing left to be arrogant about

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:21 pm

Hehe veejay, you really don't like Maria, do you?

I am sure she does humanitarian work, but probably doesn't advertise it as well as Federer. Winking

Last edited by noleisthebest on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:22 pm

I don't like her either.....but actually a bit more now than before this story for some reasons.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:28 pm

I never liked her gamesmanship..controlling time on court etc.

But I liked her gutsy game and graceful demeanor.

And that steely Russian resolve reserved only for their finest.

But now...after this ugly, vicious political onslaught my respect for her has grown.

The fact that she made the first move, and a bold one.

And seeing everyone turn back on her...all dopers including Capriati, Mladenovic...Murray..not to mention Holy St Rafa...even Nole had to say that she has to pay...

She really is standing alone on the bare mountain top.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Im258Ea5FJA

I hope she remains tall.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:41 pm

My mate is off to interview Sharapova's dad!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:43 pm

luvsports! wrote:My mate is off to interview Sharapova's dad!
Cool!
Though, he's very similar to Nole's dad.
Nothing silky there Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:44 pm

Tenez wrote:I don't like her either.....but actually a bit more now than before this story for some reasons.

Principled Tenez !
Hates all people he thinks are doping apart from the ones who aren't beating his hero !

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:44 pm

LS, I'm impressed, how did you get these powerful contacts ? Cool

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:46 pm

In fact, e guy to interview is not Yuri, he is actually boring and plain greedy...you want Russian Fed Cup captain, now he is a legend!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:46 pm

I can't stand her,i dislike her just as much as Murray,I find their smug arrogance really offensive
Sharapova was never the real deal,it amazes me how she's managed to spin her "career" there's nothing expectional about her game,crap serve,average athlete,mediocre forehand
I think her career is one big fluke,her success as a pro athlete has far more to do with her looks then her ability or achievements

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:48 pm

noleisthebest wrote:In fact, e guy to interview is not Yuri, he is actually boring and plain greedy...you want Russian Fed Cup captain, now he is a legend!

Ther he is, he is actually an ex-captain now because of this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/18/sports/tennis/wta-suspends-russian-official-for-comment-about-williams-sisters.html?_r=0

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:51 pm

Veejay wrote:I can't stand her,i dislike her just as much as Murray,I find their smug arrogance really offensive
Sharapova was never the real deal,it amazes me how she's managed to spin her "career" there's nothing expectional about her game,crap serve,average athlete,mediocre forehand
I think her career is one big fluke,her success as a pro athlete has far more to do with her looks then her ability or achievements

that's the beauty!
She isn't an athlete but has a big heart and laser groundstrokes.
No mucking around with her, she goes for the lines and corners all the time.

Nice flat shots, too.

I also like that arrogance, because it's genuine. Women are like cats...they can't stand each other...so why pretend...

I do feel a bit sorry for her, though, because I think her fathers greed has turned her heart into stone.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:03 pm

I don't mind someone being arrogant if they have the goods to back it up
It seems likes she has alienated herself from the other players on tour cause no one apart from serena has shown support
I do agree that she does show heart and is quite a fighter but I still struggle to be impressed by her success cause most of her greatest achievements have come at a time when the tournament was hers to loose

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:06 pm

DONALD TRUMP wrote:
LS, I'm impressed, how did you get these powerful contacts ? Cool

He was on my journo course. Google Teddy Cutler. Brilliant.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:18 pm

Veejay wrote:I don't mind someone being arrogant if they have the goods to back it up
It seems likes she has alienated herself from the other players on tour cause no one apart from serena has shown support
I do agree that she does show heart and is quite a fighter but I still struggle to be impressed by her success cause most of her greatest achievements have come at a time when the tournament was hers to loose

The way I see it, Serena ruined women's tennis same way as Nadal.
Pushed the physical bar over the top.

Forced Henin - THE best woman player ever  to retire too early because she simply couldn't cope physically even though she doped as well.
Serena is a great player as well as athlete but the steroids that pumped her muscles gave her that extra speed on  serve as well as the weight on her shots.

She kind of changed women's tennis irreversibly for worse.

She was the one that needed to be kept in check, but American tennis was desperate for trophies, and they never expose or punish their tennis stars, do they?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:49 pm

It should be you doing the interviews. I have a friend who used to work at Eurosport....he had plenty of great interviews,....helps to have a brand like Eurosport to back you up though.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:50 pm

DONALD TRUMP wrote:
Tenez wrote:I don't like her either.....but actually a bit more now than before this story for some reasons.

Principled Tenez !
Hates all people he thinks are doping apart from the ones who aren't beating his hero !
Typical Trump non-sense: Did Sharapova beat Federer?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:52 pm

Tenez wrote:

It should be you doing the interviews. I have a friend who used to work at Eurosport....he had plenty of great interviews,....helps to have a brand like Eurosport to back you up though.
Naaah, I should be doing all those interviews... give readers something to get excited about! Cool

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next