Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Why test sportspeople for cocaine? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:25 am by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Why test sportspeople for cocaine? EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Why test sportspeople for cocaine? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Why test sportspeople for cocaine? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Why test sportspeople for cocaine? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Why test sportspeople for cocaine? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Why test sportspeople for cocaine? EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Why test sportspeople for cocaine? EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Why test sportspeople for cocaine? EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Why test sportspeople for cocaine?

+4
noleisthebest
Veejay
bogbrush
mikeyM1000
8 posters

Go down

Why test sportspeople for cocaine? Empty Why test sportspeople for cocaine?

Post by mikeyM1000 Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Yes, it's a stimulant but even if you snort a line in the dressing room before a match it will have more or less worn off by the time you end the warm-up. So why do they test for it? Moral policing?

Having said that, the rules as they currently stand mean Evans will get a ban. How long would be appropriate? It would seem ridiculous to give him a longer ban that Sharapova.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Why test sportspeople for cocaine? Empty Re: Why test sportspeople for cocaine?

Post by bogbrush Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Totally agree, it's a criminal matter but surely nothing to do with the sport.

Ridiculous really, especially when the effects of genuinely PEDs in tennis is all too obvious and so little seems to be done about it.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:39 pm

asking why the drug is illegal and banned shouldn't be exclusive to athlete alone as using it is illegal for everyone,not just athletes so whether its performance enhancing or not is totally irrelevant
dan evans was stupid in his press conference,he should have just claimed that he kissed a girl like richard Gasquet did
I mean if Sharapova can lie her way out of failing ma drugs test why cant he do the same?
how long a ban he should serve is a tough one,i don't think that such offence deserves a harsh long ban but at the same time they don't want to be seen going soft on failed drugs test
a failed drugs test is a failed drugs test,if you've broken the rules then you have to face the consequences

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:43 pm

Absolutely - he has to face the consequences. And yes it's illegal, but plenty of professional people use it without fear of being tested or losing their jobs.
Maybe it's just a case of, what the hell, we're doing a test anyway, may as well test for it.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:48 pm

mikeyM1000 wrote:Absolutely - he has to face the consequences. And yes it's illegal, but plenty of professional people use it without fear of being tested or losing their jobs.
Maybe it's just a case of, what the hell, we're doing a test anyway, may as well test for it.
no I think that they test for it for the same reason why they test for any drug,to try and keep sport clean
also certain jobs do do random drugs test,but that doesn't seem to be the case where cocaine is most rife

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Maybe cocaine does have an impact on performance.

I don't have a clue how it works, haven't had any, but it must do something to players for it to be (banned?) and tested.

I am annoyed as I like Evans, the only watchable Brit.

I know he is an ultra git but is a great player.

I suppose ITF had to look like they are doing something and justify their salaries and expensive offices...and Evans was an easy target.

Scum.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:07 pm

mikeyM1000 wrote:Yes, it's a stimulant but even if you snort a line in the dressing room before a match it will have more or less worn off by the time you end the warm-up. So why do they test for it? Moral policing?

Having said that, the rules as they currently stand mean Evans will get a ban. How long would be appropriate? It would seem ridiculous to give him a longer ban that Sharapova.
Do you know that meth has the same effects as cocaine but unlike cocaine it can last up to 3 hours. It sharpen reflexes, boost your confidence, and make you see everything in slow-mo giving you extra time to react. Player may put some of the power in a tissue and that woudl extend the effect. Noah was accusing Becker of doping on cocaine back in the 80s.

Having said all that, i doubt Dan used it for cheating but more for recreational. However who knows. He is a relatively high profile athlete being caught doping. It's rare. I'd say it is not smart...but nothing to be alarm...and this is why I did not start a thread on it.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:41 pm

a. Because it is, for very good reason, a class A drug and dealers should be executed by hanging (as they are in some countries).
b. Because these people are role models for kids.
c. Because someone under the influence of this drug can be dangerous. Cocaine causes aggression even in short term.
d. A clean sport means a clean sport.
e. Because you are, in fact, helping the user even if they don't realize it.  I know two people who have taken their life from it (one by jumping from a high rise), and three others who have suffered long term psychosis.
f. Because their performance on field is paramount - and is dependent on their physical and mental health.  Their employer wants them to be on the top of their game in a multimillion pound business. Which football club owner is going to want to be associated with druggies - or have those people in their club potentially losing games, sponsors, fans, and massive amounts of money?

They do blood tests in sport already, so it's not hard to add it.  These people are paid a fortune and represent a football club and sponsors.

Also, other jobs do do random testing for drugs.  I believe all jobs should.  For example, if I went under the knife , I would want to know my surgeon isn't abusing drugs.

Did you really need to ask this question?

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Daniel wrote:a. Because it is, for very good reason, a class A drug and dealers should be executed by hanging (as they are in some countries).
c. Because someone under the influence of this drug can be dangerous. Cocaine causes aggression even in short term.
e. Because you are, in fact, helping the user even if they don't realize it.  I know two people who have taken their life from it (one by jumping from a high rise), and three others who have suffered long term psychosis.
f. Because their performance on field is paramount - and is dependent on their physical and mental health.  Their employer wants them to be on the top of their game in a multimillion pound business. Which football club owner is going to want to be associated with druggies - or have those people in their club potentially losing games, sponsors, fans, and massive amounts of money?

They do blood tests in sport already, so it's not hard to add it.  These people are paid a fortune and represent a football club and sponsors.

Also, other jobs do do random testing for drugs.  I believe all jobs should.  For example, if I went under the knife , I would want to know my surgeon isn't abusing drugs.

I didn't need to, just felt like it.
Hard to argue against any of that, although there are some civil liberty/nanny state issues (for the all jobs bit) I suppose - best leave those to bogbrush!

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Indeed.  Thumbs Up

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Does cocaine make you strong? Or just pleasure crap i.e more focused etc?

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Daniel wrote:a. Because it is, for very good reason, a class A drug and dealers should be executed by hanging (as they are in some countries).
If things were that simple. Why people feel the need to get drugs in the first place? That's what concerns me. Some have the need to execute others who are not like them.....interesting cases as well!

they should not. Only stupid parents and stupid kids would allow for a stranger to be a role model.

I give you that...but that's a symptom not the cause.

A clean sport means a clean sport.
Clean "professional" sport doesn't exist. Sport should have nothing to do with money....in an ideal world. But this is not an ideal world.

shit happen. If you take drugs is that your life has already spun out of control.
As I said sport and money shoudl not mix....in an ideal world.

so other jobs do do random testing for drugs.  I believe all jobs should.  For example, if I went under the knife , I would want to know my surgeon isn't abusing drugs.
fair enough.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Sounds like 90% of what you've just written is "so what." as if nothing can be done. When it can. The cause of someone doing cocaine is 1. Drug dealers aren't executed and 2. The user chooses to do it.

There is no mystery.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Daniel wrote:Sounds like 90% of what you've just written is "so what." as if nothing can be done. When it can.

You are pointing to one "wrong"....without quite looking at all the wrongs of this world.

Eve had a bite at the apple...should have she or should not have she bitten it?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Tenez wrote:
mikeyM1000 wrote:Yes, it's a stimulant but even if you snort a line in the dressing room before a match it will have more or less worn off by the time you end the warm-up. So why do they test for it? Moral policing?

Do you know that meth has the same effects as cocaine but unlike cocaine it can last up to 3 hours. It sharpen reflexes, boost your confidence, and make you see everything in slow-mo giving you extra time to react. Player may put some of the power in a tissue and that woudl extend the effect. Noah was accusing Becker of doping on cocaine back in the 80s.

Having said all that, i doubt Dan used it for cheating but more for recreational. However who knows. He is a relatively high profile athlete being caught doping. It's rare. I'd say it is not smart...but nothing to be alarm...and this is why I did not start a thread on it.
crystal meth and cocaine are two very different types of drugs and very different types of highs..cocaine can last up to 3 hours depending on how much you continually take where as even smoking a quarter gram of crystal meth can keep you awake for days
meth/speed was created as an alternative to cocaine but the drug and the high is very different
on crystal meth you can do physical things,it can definitely be performance enhancing,like run twice as fast exercise much harder,it makes you very aware and sharp,however when you come down off it takes at least a week to recover sometimes up to 3 weeks,thats a whole week you cant get out of bed.the high is so clear that you just do anything without even thinking,nothing is a problem until you come off it as realise everything you've done while you've been on it
where as cocaine is more of a confidence booster isn't even something you can really dance on on,hence the reason why you find it in bars,not on the dance floor in clubs
it does make you very sharp between the ears,which is why its abused so much among bankers and stock brokers,they can actually work and function well on the drug depending on its purity
the other thing about cocaine is that most people need to drink alcohol when they are on it,something you don't need to do with meth

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:13 pm

Jahu wrote:Does cocaine make you strong? Or just pleasure crap i.e more focused etc?
most addicts use it as a confidence booster

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:17 pm

good points Daniel
I also believe that athletes are looked at as role models by young kids who aspire to want to be just like them,thats something that usually just happens automatically with someone who is living their life in the public eye,whether your parents condone it or not,thats just the reality
you would expect an athlete to try and set the right example for those kids who do look up to them as role models

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:44 pm

Veejay wrote:
Jahu wrote:Does cocaine make you strong? Or just pleasure crap i.e more focused etc?
most addicts use it as a confidence booster

So a line of cocaine to make me feel macho while I'm a total cuck?  Sad.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:49 pm

Why hang the drug dealers? I support Class A/B/C drugs, I would legalize them, a good way to clean the planet of weak dumb useless people, sounds sick but not bad in the end.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:54 pm

That doesn't work.  They don't drop dead overnight and they make everyone else's life a misery first. That's if they aren't too busy robbing people to feed the habit.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:01 pm

Veejay wrote:
Tenez wrote:

crystal meth and cocaine are two very different types of drugs and very different types of highs..cocaine can last up to 3 hours depending on how much you continually take where as even smoking a quarter gram of crystal meth can keep you awake for days
meth/speed was created as an alternative to cocaine but the drug and the high is very different
on crystal meth you can do physical things,it can definitely be performance enhancing,like run twice as fast exercise much harder,it makes you very aware and sharp,however when you come down off it takes at least a week to recover sometimes up to 3 weeks,thats a whole week you cant get out of bed.the high is so clear that you just do anything without even thinking,nothing is a problem until you come off it as realise everything you've done while you've been on it
where as cocaine is more of a confidence booster isn't even something you can really dance on on,hence the reason why you find it in bars,not on the dance floor in clubs
it does make you very sharp between the ears,which is why its abused so much among bankers and stock brokers,they can actually work and function well on the drug depending on its purity
the other thing about cocaine is that most people need to drink alcohol when they are on it,something you don't need to do with meth
They are both amphetamines. As mentioned the main difference is the lasting effect but dosing is essential. Agassi used meth as a enhancing drug to get all the benefits of it when he had lost confidence in himself and his game. He gave him the great reflexes so important to his game, plus the confidence....

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:31 am

... wrote:Maybe cocaine does have an impact on performance.
Of course it has. Cocaine increases dopamine release. That means body as well mind can perform at an unnatural level.
Eventually a player's coke abuse would do him more harm than good but for the sake of the sport: let's keep this stuff being tested.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:02 am

Tenez wrote:
Veejay wrote:
Tenez wrote:

They are both amphetamines. As mentioned the main difference is the lasting effect but dosing is essential. Agassi used meth as a enhancing drug  to get all the benefits of it when he had lost confidence in himself and his game. He gave him the great reflexes so important to his game, plus the confidence....
http://www.differencebetween.net/science/health/difference-between-cocaine-and-amphetamine/
cocaine is not an amphetamine unless its cut with speed or crystal meth,its derived from the natural coca plant where as speed/crystal meth is the purest from of amphetamine
I strongly disagree with anyone who thinks that you can snort cocaine and then go and play a pro tennis match.cocaine increases your heart rate,and can make you sweat and dehydrated,this is already before running,so imagine then going and doing strenuous exercises while youre  on cocaine,your heart is going to POP
when youre high cocaine its hard to focus properly,especially in an environment like a tennis court,
the biggest thing against it being used to perform better is sport is that it inhibits you to move easily,you cant relax on it either
crustal meth is definitely performance enhancing,it makes you very aware and you can become very focused too,the high is far more relaxing then cocaine
the extreme energy levels allows you to run faster for longer,endure longer and never feeling tired until your body gives in
there are far more downsides then performance enhancing abilities,when your come down from it,your body is too tired to do anything for at least a week
youre awake for 2-3 days before crashing and burning
the paranoia that comes with taking the drug is far worse then any other drug,it only takes 1 single thought for your mind to create a whole story that you start believing to be true,i.e you heard the police sirens while walking down the road,you then start thinking they are coming for you..this is why you can never believe anything a meth addict tells you cause you don't know if its true or if they imagined it all
you also do very dangerous things while your own it,not like jumping off a building thinking that you can fly,but more like having unprotected sex with some random stranger in the toilet of a night club and thinking that's perfectly ok to do something like that,completely ignoring the dangers involved

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:06 pm

All drugs like that are actually going to be bad for a top tennis player.  If they don't affect you physically, they will mentally.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down