Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Any Snooker Fans? EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Any Snooker Fans? EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Any Snooker Fans? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Any Snooker Fans? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Any Snooker Fans? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Any Snooker Fans? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Any Snooker Fans? EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Any Snooker Fans? EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Any Snooker Fans? EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Any Snooker Fans?

+4
Tenez
legendkillar
noleisthebest
Daniel
8 posters

Go down

Any Snooker Fans? Empty Any Snooker Fans?

Post by Daniel Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:30 am

Maybe a good omen for Federer? I noticed this while compiling some stats.

Stephen Hendry ended his campaign on 18 majors (The equivalent of the Slams) and reached 28 finals.

Federer is currently on 17 and 27.  If he wins his next final (should he reach one), he has actually equalled Hendry by the numbers Yikes

Thumbs Up

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Any Snooker Fans? Empty Re: Any Snooker Fans?

Post by noleisthebest Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:59 am

I used to be...in the days when Mark Williams was skinny!

I enjoyed his rivalry with Hendry, and Higgins was there, too...and then came Ronnie!

Yes, that 18/8 analogy with Fed sounds interesting.

I wonder if Fed would take it or does he think he can do better than 18.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:13 am

I used to be too. Now I only tune in to Masters , World, and possibly UK (the majors). Barry Hearn has dumbed the sport down and if you think tennis has issues with conditions favouring defenders and plodders... haha - think again! It has NOTHING on snooker.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:19 am

I used to watch it.

Kinda looking back Hendry was almost revered as Nadal is now Laugh Laugh

I think a lot of it was because he defeated Jimmy White most of the time! There was certainly a lot of a affinity for Jimmy and Hendry was certainly perceived as a villain. I remember Hendry saying he enjoyed winning more than the sport.

O'Sullivan provided glimpses, but his un-predictable nature whilst captivating at times just wore thin on me and the whole 'I am done with snooker' and then coming back just made me get frustrated with him.

I know it sounds clichéd, but there just isn't the personalities in the game or even the natural talent. Similar to tennis I guess where the high risk shot makers are few and far in between.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:45 am

I would associate Federer to Ronnie more than Hendry for sure. But the main difference is one has mastered his daemons the other is still mastered by them.

The only thing that would get me back to snooker is whether Ronnie were on its way to win his 8th World championship. ....so not going to happen tomorrow.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:09 am

O'Sullivan in the last few years has definitely mastered them or has the beating of them.  He won the World Championship 2012, 2013, and reached final 2014.  He's also one of the oldest to win a final and certainly one of the oldest to defend it.

He also won UK champs in 2014.  Federer and Hendry don't suffer with bipolar disorder, so it's not a fair comparison regardless.  For all O'Sullivan's problems, he is #3 on the Majors list, and holds a number of top records.  O'Sullivan is definitely the most gifted cueist of all time, and one of the most gifted sportsmen.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:11 am

I don't know about all these "disorders"...OCD, "bipolar"...they never used to exist in the past.
You just had to suck it up and keep going!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:12 am

noleisthebest wrote:I don't know about all these "disorders"...OCD, "bipolar"...they never used to exist in the past.

The disorders did exist, it's just people didn't take it seriously and were ignorant of medical science.  You only need to look at Stephen Fry and his suicide attempts to know it's true.  It's impossible for someone with that deficit to "suck it up".  You're speaking from a position of never having suffered with it. Bipolar isn't "feeling under the weather" - it's an incurable, serious, and debilitating mental illness.

Last edited by FedererKing on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:18 am

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:55 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I don't know about all these "disorders"...OCD, "bipolar"...they never used to exist in the past.

Being a mental health sufferer myself I can say I don't take offence with the comment above. I agree in the past there was a culture that existed that for a bad day at the office, it was suck it up and carry on.

That has changed. I don't like or agree with the labels, but sometimes you can have a bad day when everything is going fine. Now I can't legislate or even come to terms why I have the "illnesses" I do, but I think me being a complex anti-social bugger does me no favours. 

Now after years of being drugged (as that is the NHS's favoured approach) I said no and decided to fight it head on and try a more natural approach. It's far from perfect, but I have managed to find the right balance. I accept that some days have highs and some have lows. I underwent a more cognitive approach and it helped massively. 

The key to living mental health problems IMO is to understand yourself and have others help you with that. Drugs don't help with that.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:39 pm

legendkillar wrote:Now after years of being drugged (as that is the NHS's favoured approach) I said no and decided to fight it head on and try a more natural approach. It's far from perfect, but I have managed to find the right balance. I accept that some days have highs and some have lows. I underwent a more cognitive approach and it helped massively. 

The key to living mental health problems IMO is to understand yourself and have others help you with that. Drugs don't help with that.
I really recommend you for that. That is the only way out in my view. When it comes to my soul, I would not let a single pharmaceutical company intervene with my being. I take on the ups and down as a challenge, no different than the weather and try to understand why I am going through a storm when everybody else seems to be in sunshine. It's part of the most important knowledge: knowing oneself. Drugs are just delaying the fight and make you weaker in the face of it.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:01 pm

legendkillar wrote:

Being a mental health sufferer myself I can say I don't take offence with the comment above. I agree in the past there was a culture that existed that for a bad day at the office, it was suck it up and carry on.

That has changed. I don't like or agree with the labels, but sometimes you can have a bad day when everything is going fine. Now I can't legislate or even come to terms why I have the "illnesses" I do, but I think me being a complex anti-social bugger does me no favours. 

Now after years of being drugged (as that is the NHS's favoured approach) I said no and decided to fight it head on and try a more natural approach. It's far from perfect, but I have managed to find the right balance. I accept that some days have highs and some have lows. I underwent a more cognitive approach and it helped massively. 

That's the way to do it LK!
What doesn't kill you make you stronger. (cooo, I am full of cheesy quotes today Blush)

Life is not fair, it's tough...but the art is in learning to enjoy little things and not lie.

Keep going! Thumbs Up

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:06 pm

Tenez wrote:
I really recommend you for that. That is the only way out in my view. When it comes to my soul, I would not let a single pharmaceutical company intervene with my being. I take on the ups and down as a challenge, no different than the weather and try to understand why I am going through a storm when everybody else seems to be in sunshine. It's part of the most important knowledge: [b[knowing oneself.[/b] Drugs are just delaying the fight and make you weaker in the face of it.

Absolutely!
And such a fascinating and mysterious microcosmos we are...The deeper one delves, the more interesting it becomes.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Cheers guys.

I was on 3 kinds of meds for 4 years and I reached a point where in that time where I was like "I am no better for it. It hasn't made me any better and if anything I am worse for it"

So I tried to re-connect with the world and all that was natural. So I go on long walks and explore other places and talk to my family more and friends and of course Mrs LK. Winking

I challenged my MHT to stop plying everyone drugs because it is the most cost effective treatment. Treat people on the merit of their condition/illness. Sick of doctors lining their pockets from medical/pharmaceutical companies. 

I try my hardest to switch off from the world and embrace the beauty outside of that bubble. Forget my work and the media and everything. Not tennis of course smiley

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:33 pm

And so it was Winking

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Wow. you're amazing!

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon May 01, 2017 2:59 pm

Has anyone noticed how some people get all the luck?

I remember watching Nadal for years and realised that any framed ball, any net call, even every wrong HE call, every draw (though this one might not be down to luck) were always in his favour.

In snooker, Selby is the one! It's awful. He won his match versus Ding purely on stealing at least 6 frames on luck alone.

Now again versus Higgins, his luck (or run of the ball as they call it) is absolutely disgusting.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Steve Davis thinking O'Sullivan "even a greater genius than Woods and Federer".

Quite a statement. I'd agree over Woods maybe..but not Federer.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:16 pm

It's possible they are actually the same breed.  That performance by Ronnie just then was abnormal.  But tennis is far more involved and less one dimensional than snooker - not least the physical aspect.  And you need to adapt to far more variables and conditions.  So, yeah, Fed def has it for me.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Ronnie is a massive Federer fan.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:43 pm

This Kyren Wilson looks so much like Adolf Hitler. Same hair cut even if it was not for the famous fringe and mustache.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:14 pm

There’ll be a theory about this on YouTube in no time.

Did they ever prove he had no children? In any case, they never did find the body did they? We know Nazi scientists were working on potions for everlasting youth.

I suppose there’s be the usual denials but just in case I’d change your name if I were you, and go deep undercover before they come for you.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:02 pm

It’s a final frame decider between Trump and Hitler.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Shit...I was not supporting Adolf on this occasion!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:22 pm

To make it clear. I would never support Adolf.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Tenez wrote:To make it clear. I would never support Adolf.
I have already reported you and you will shortly be detained for hate crimes and scheduled for re-education.
A tolerant society rightly forbids any difference of opinion.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:32 pm

....not since Steve Davis quit the game  Big Grin

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:52 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Tenez wrote:To make it clear. I would never support Adolf.
I have already reported you and you will shortly be detained for hate crimes and scheduled for re-education.
A tolerant society rightly forbids any difference of opinion.

I know that's why I felt the urge to precise my thoughts!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down