Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What now for Roger?
Snooker.....as there is no tennis... EmptyToday at 9:50 am by bogbrush

» Slam chase
Snooker.....as there is no tennis... EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 12:46 pm by barrystar

» Wimbledon Day 13, Sunday 14th July
Snooker.....as there is no tennis... EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 7:03 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» Generation Worthless
Snooker.....as there is no tennis... EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 3:09 pm by naxroy

» Wimbledon seeding is disrespectful, says Rafael Nadal
Snooker.....as there is no tennis... EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm by barrystar

» Women final
Snooker.....as there is no tennis... EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 4:54 pm by bogbrush

» Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July
Snooker.....as there is no tennis... EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 12:10 pm by paulcz

» Wimbledon Day 9, Wednesday 10th July
Snooker.....as there is no tennis... EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 pm by Tenez

» Wimbledon Day 10, Thursday 11th July
Snooker.....as there is no tennis... EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 pm by Jahu

July 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Snooker.....as there is no tennis...

Go down

Snooker.....as there is no tennis... Empty Snooker.....as there is no tennis...

Post by Tenez on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Anyone but Neil Robertson!

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Snooker.....as there is no tennis... Empty Re: Snooker.....as there is no tennis...

Post by noleisthebest on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Although I even have a photo of myself playing snooker in a pub as a student, and have a half-size table at home, I stopped following it a while ago.
Last thing I remember was that blond guy dying from cancer...that was so sad.
It was the time of Mark Williams, Higgins, Hendry rivalry when Ronnie busted on the scene  and blew  them all away...
Who are the big names now?
Is here any doping in snooker?  Winking

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Snooker.....as there is no tennis... Empty Re: Snooker.....as there is no tennis...

Post by Tenez on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Ronnie is still the biggest name though he lost yesterday. The run of the ball is so key in snooker especially over 11 frames.

There is doping. In fact dopamine is a substance that makes you calm and steady.....key for snooker though I would not go as far as say it's being commonly used. There is match fixing apparently though.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Well, none of it comes as a surprise...unfortunately!

Still, just like tennis, great fun to play it whatever level you are...
I remember when I watched it, there were some rebels a la Nadal and his sleeveless capri look trying to break the mould of traditional black tie and jazz things up by wearing different colours.
There was a young star from Hong Kong and they were trying to hype him so much in order to break into Asian market...

I saw a photo of Hendry the other day, can't believe how much he's aged...even Ronnie's wild features have softened now.

Well, that's a woman's angle on the subject Blush

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Tenez wrote:Ronnie is still the biggest name though he lost yesterday. The run of the ball is so key in snooker especially over 11 frames.

There is doping. In fact dopamine is a substance that makes you calm and steady.....key for snooker though I would not go as far as say it's being commonly used. There is match fixing apparently though.
The issue with snooker is it has way too much luck, and when you shorten the format of a major, anyone can win.  The UK championship now has rounds first to 6 frames.  That's simply not good enough for what was the second biggest tournament in history.  So now, all we have with a proper format is the World Championship.  And who is champ there?

Selby only won the UK in the first place because of the smaller format for example.  Barry doesn't seem to care that he's made a major into a normal ranking event.  Imagine the slams with a first to 1 set, and that's what you have here.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:31 pm

I agree. It used to be first to 9 before if not 10. Not only they have allowed many more entries and then reduced the number of frames. This Hearn is a pain...though he has made it more lucrative for the players. But I believe there is less interest from the European crowd and more from the Asian one.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:58 pm

The reason Barry was able to be a saviour to darts is because he was able to keep massive formats (because darts is a fast game), but with snooker, instead of adding some shot clock events and also modelling the tour better, he's just stripped tournament formats down to first to 6 and 4 formats and to hell with it.  He doesn't have a clue about snooker, just business.  The new points system for 2014 is a money list.  In other words, players are ranked according to how much money they have won.  While this at least is better than what we have currently, it's a ramshackle of a system that no respected sport would ever deploy.  Just get a PROPER rank system and tour, Barry.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:37 pm

That's my luck! I create a threat about anyone but Robertson...and bloody Robertson wins it! He is the Nadal of snooker. Such a negative player. And also...taking his time and making everybody wait.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Funny you say that, because I watched his SF match for a few minutes the other day just to see who that was (what a wierd expresionless pair of eyes he has, btw!) and it was the other guy who took ages to take a shot (nearly 2mins).
I don't know how anyone could watch those two...

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:58 pm

It's the best sport to get a snooze in the middle of the afternoon. I hear Virgo and Taylor and I get a very nice 15mn nap.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DEC1M8 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:03 pm

Tenez wrote:That's my luck! I create a threat about anyone but Robertson...and bloody Robertson wins it!
I would like to thank you on behalf of Nadal fans over the world for delivering 13 Grand Slams for Nadal Hug 

DEC1M8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:07 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Funny you say that, because I watched his SF match for a few minutes the other day just to see who that was (what a wierd expresionless pair of eyes he has, btw!) and it was the other guy who took ages to take a shot (nearly 2mins).
I don't know how anyone could watch those two...
The only ones who can are die hards and the very people who are destroying the sport.  It's a terrible ad for snooker to see such slow negativity.  I am glad Slowby was dumped out though.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down