Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer

+3
truffin1
mikeyM1000
N2D2L
7 posters

Go down

Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer Empty Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:22 am

truffin1 wrote:The serving had nothing to do with Federer across the net-  Nadals hand was in good enough shape for him to serve at his upper limits.. Surely he would have done so if he could against Dimitrov..
This is actually a very good question, anyone who watched both the Dimitrov match and the Roger match will be able to observe that Nadal's serving was far better in the latter match. 

This is the explanation:
The blister itself was never actually the problem. Yes it was painful without treatment, but with treatment the pain was less, and I think Nadal has a relatively high pain barrier so that was not a huge issue during matches. 
The problem was the taping of the blister. They could not simply leave the blister exposed, that would leave the area of the skin vulnerable to infections. 
Against Nishikori and Dimitrov Nadal's hand was taped up, the tape covered the blister (obviously).

This is a picture of his left hand with taping (and powder) against Dimitrov.

Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer Rsi-te10

As you can see from the picture, the taping will be on his hand which touches the racket as he serves, and thus mean Nadal cannot grip the serve as much, hence his serving issues against Dimitrov (it is no coincidence he served his record number of double faults).

Therefore Nadal decided to change things, he himself said in the interview that many were saying, he had to step up his game against Roger. So the Nadal camp made a decision to not have taping anymore, and instead protect the blister with simply a 'pad dressing'. This has its negatives, there is more risk of it coming loose for example as it cannot be as tight as the tape; but it means Nadal can have a much better grip of the racket (obviously). 
When Eurosport reported yesterday Nadal was not using tape they were right… partly, but if you looked closely at pics of him training you could see him with the dressing on the blister. Many people noticed this, I think HN on v2 as well alluded to it.
This is the picture from the match against Federer, you can spot what I'm talking about on his left hand:

Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer Rafael10

As I said this has its negatives in that it has a higher chance of coming loose, but against Federer the positives outweighed the negatives, it helped his game and serve compared to against Dimitrov. Nadal is not a magician, he cannot make his blister simply disappear during points and appear again (the camera focused on it when he changed his dressing in the 2nd set), but overall I think Nadal's decision to not go for the taping against Federer paid off.

Last edited by Julia Santamaria on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer Empty Re: Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:25 am

Yep - will you stop being an idiot now, or will you carry on?

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer Empty Re: Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:26 am

I know you're upset Julius, but calm down... my prediction did not actually make your favourite lose.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:29 am

I'm not that upset - I didn't expect Murray to beat Fed given his long layoff, so wasn't too disappointed with the result.

Have to admit I don't recall you predicting Murray to win.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:30 am

No I thought Fed would win that match.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:32 am

Thanks for fulfilling your pledge to admit you know nothing about tennis AND blisters!!

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:34 am

truffin1 wrote:Thanks for fulfilling your pledge to admit you know nothing about tennis AND blisters!!
!!!!

That serves me right for predicting Fed to win!!!

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:36 am

Julia Santamaria wrote:
truffin1 wrote:Thanks for fulfilling your pledge to admit you know nothing about tennis AND blisters!!
!!!!

That serves me right for predicting Fed to win!!!

You only predicted that because either a) you know nothing about tennis or b) you genuinely believe in your jinxing.
Actually you do know a bit about tennis, but the jinxing thing really does make you look like an idiot whether you believe in it or not.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:50 am

yes you are a good jinxer, I give you that. I find it amusing that you behave like a superstitious old granma. Maybe you are possessed by one old woman spirit...which could explain why you are attracted by a fit young boy like Nadal.

I'd like to analyse you! Should be interesting. Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Tenez wrote:yes you are a good jinxer, I give you that. I find it amusing that you behave like a superstitious old granma. Maybe you are possessed by one old woman spirit...which could explain why you are attracted by a fit young boy like Nadal.

Ha ha, I idolise and support Nadal, but I am not attracted to him.
There is a difference bewteen me supporting Nadal, and me supporting Kirilenko  Winking

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Julilus I know you are angry that the player you despise has reached a final, but keep calm and control your anger- you seem to be fuming.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
Tenez wrote:yes you are a good jinxer, I give you that. I find it amusing that you behave like a superstitious old granma. Maybe you are possessed by one old woman spirit...which could explain why you are attracted by a fit young boy like Nadal.

Ha ha, I idolise and support Nadal, but I am not attracted to him.
There is a difference bewteen me supporting Nadal, and me supporting Kirilenko  Winking

Yes, Kirilenko can play for a change.. Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Turns out my prediction was wrong!!!!!!!!!

Big Grin

Maybe you'll learn that Nadal is a big liar too?  That the surface wasn't faster; that you, Nadal, and his fans, were simply preparing an excuse; that Nadal cheats; and a whole host of other things?

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:05 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Julilus I know you are angry that the player you despise has reached a final, but keep calm and control your anger- you seem to be fuming.

Clearly you're no judge of people either.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:07 pm

mikeyM1000 wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:Julilus I know you are angry that the player you despise has reached a final, but keep calm and control your anger- you seem to be fuming.

Clearly you're no judge of people either.

With gloaters and excuse makers like you, Julia, it's hardly surprising, is it?  You do Nadal no favours at all.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:17 pm

You should see the disgusting posters that invaded Federer's official website fan forum during the match.   Horrible haters that call themselves Nadal fans- cursing, calling Federer names, calling his fans name..  I've never seen a worst display and I've been on every match thread on that forum for years.   It just shows you what he's created.  I can't for one second think of a Fed fan taking the time to sign up on Nadals website and post such crap.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:21 pm

To me Nadal fans are such fun to wind up as they know nothing about tennis and at the same time fight for his "honour" as if it's a matter of life and death.
I've always thought they provide decent material for a social study!

I have never seen anything like it!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Curious Amri and I ask this question seriously...    We know the blister thing was excuse making, jinxing on your part and all that, the you've had blisters and it's impossible to play nonsense.. but how do you realistically explain Nadal having all those issues against Dimitrov but came out now  and blister did not affect him in any way.   His best serving of the tournament, he reached his top mph and avg mph was highest, depth on forehand was incredible.  The serving had nothing to do with Federer across the net-  Nadals hand was in good enough shape for him to serve at his upper limits.. Surely he would have done so if he could against Dimitrov..

Was the Dimitrov match just a bad day and really as Nadal said- the blister was hardly a factor- but his fans seized on it and ran with it?

Did the blister heal even though his fans said it couldn't/wouldn't?

Did his doctors deaden it with some of his special concoctions?

Your honest opinion? how did the blister go from being realistically a small factor to nothing at all?

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:33 pm

truffin1 wrote:You should see the disgusting posters that invaded Federer's official website fan forum during the match.   Horrible haters that call themselves Nadal fans- cursing, calling Federer names, calling his fans name..  I've never seen a worst display and I've been on every match thread on that forum for years.   It just shows you what he's created.  I can't for one second think of a Fed fan taking the time to sign up on Nadals website and post such crap.
There were a few Federer fans who came onto Vamos Brigade and said they wished Nadal snapped his leg in two.
On MTL a poster called Dutchie made an article in different ways he wished Nadal would die, which got a few replies from Federer fans before the article it was deleted by the mods.
Even on this forum, FK said he would be happy to see Nadal get a serious injury and retire.

However the vast majority of fans, Fed and Nadal, don't wish ill on their rival, in a serious way.
I myself as I have said support Nadal first, Berdych second; but I like Federer's game too. Certainly I want to see him continue playing. The only players' game I dislike is Raonic/ Karlovic.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:11 pm

A serious injury that's REAL, I may add.  Would be perfect justice for a cheat.  I'd much prefer to see him go into decline though, because he is such an awful person he'd lose his mind.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:13 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
truffin1 wrote:You should see the disgusting posters that invaded Federer's official website fan forum during the match.   Horrible haters that call themselves Nadal fans- cursing, calling Federer names, calling his fans name..  I've never seen a worst display and I've been on every match thread on that forum for years.   It just shows you what he's created.  I can't for one second think of a Fed fan taking the time to sign up on Nadals website and post such crap.
There were a few Federer fans who came onto Vamos Brigade and said they wished Nadal snapped his leg in two.
On MTL a poster called Dutchie made an article in different ways he wished Nadal would die, which got a few replies from Federer fans before the article it was deleted by the mods.
Even on this forum, FK said he would be happy to see Nadal get a serious injury and retire.

However the vast majority of fans, Fed and Nadal, don't wish ill on their rival, in a serious way.
I myself as I have said support Nadal first, Berdych second; but I like Federer's game too. Certainly I want to see him continue playing. The only players' game I dislike is Raonic/ Karlovic.

Fair enough if you've seen Fed fans go onto Nadals website.  I guess I can't fathom wasting my time or being so classless so hard for me to imagine other fans being that way... but there are bad apples on both sides, no doubt.

I don't mind it as long as it's not over the line on a general tennis forum.  Certainly people should be able to talk about Nadals gamesmanship and cheating-- all factual things. The whole viewing public saw him being coached from the stands last night- and he didnt' even need it..  People are here to talk about tennis and personal feelings will come out.. but it's just pathetic to me that someone would take the time to seek out a persons personal fan website, sign up, then spend time just throwing out hate with not a shred of tennis talk behind it...   oh well.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:17 pm

truffin1 wrote:The serving had nothing to do with Federer across the net-  Nadals hand was in good enough shape for him to serve at his upper limits.. Surely he would have done so if he could against Dimitrov..
This is actually a very good question, anyone who watched both the Dimitrov match and the Roger match will be able to observe that Nadal's serving was far better in the latter match. 

This is the explanation:
The blister itself was never actually the problem. Yes it was painful without treatment, but with treatment the pain was less, and I think Nadal has a relatively high pain barrier so that was not a huge issue during matches. 
The problem was the taping of the blister. They could not simply leave the blister exposed, that would leave the area of the skin vulnerable to infections. 
Against Nishikori and Dimitrov Nadal's hand was taped up, the tape covered the blister (obviously).

This is a picture of his left hand with taping (and powder) against Dimitrov.

Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer Rsi-te10

As you can see from the picture, the taping will be on his hand which touches the racket as he serves, and thus mean Nadal cannot grip the serve as much, hence his serving issues against Dimitrov (it is no coincidence he served his record number of double faults).

Therefore Nadal decided to change things, he himself said in the interview that many were saying, he had to step up his game against Roger. So the Nadal camp made a decision to not have taping anymore, and instead protect the blister with simply a 'pad dressing'. This has its negatives, there is more risk of it coming loose for example as it cannot be as tight as the tape; but it means Nadal can have a much better grip of the racket (obviously). 
When Eurosport reported yesterday Nadal was not using tape they were right… partly, but if you looked closely at pics of him training you could see him with the dressing on the blister. Many people noticed this, I think HN on v2 as well alluded to it.
This is the picture from the match against Federer, you can spot what I'm talking about on his left hand:

Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer Rafael10

As I said this has its negatives in that it has a higher chance of coming loose, but against Federer the positives outweighed the negatives, it helped his game and serve compared to against Dimitrov. Nadal is not a magician, he cannot make his blister simply disappear during points and appear again (the camera focused on it when he changed his dressing in the 2nd set), but overall I think Nadal's decision to not go for the taping against Federer paid off.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:19 pm

Truffin I will put that above post in the article, if that's ok with you; and below I will again post the admission I promised if I got my Federer prediction wrong.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:21 pm

[url=/t549-i-am-an-idiot-who-knows-nothing-about-tennis-or-blisters#32615][/url]

[url=/t549-i-am-an-idiot-who-knows-nothing-about-tennis-or-blisters#32615]I am an idiot who knows nothing about tennis or blisters smiley[/url]
Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer Empty by [url=/u36]Julia Santamaria[/url] Today at 11:22 am

Turns out my prediction was wrong!!!!!!!!!

Why did Nadal's blisters not hinder him in today's match?- an answer 364988687

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Truffin I will put that above post in the article, if that's ok with you; and below I will again post the admission I promised if I got my Federer prediction wrong.

I'm not sure I undertand or what you are asking me... which above post? which article?  but okay.  I like the admission part!

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:40 pm

truffin1 wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:Truffin I will put that above post in the article, if that's ok with you; and below I will again post the admission I promised if I got my Federer prediction wrong.

I'm not sure I undertand or what you are asking me... which above post? which article?  but okay.  I like the admission part!
I posted my post answering your question in the article, and my forfeit a few posts above.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueClay Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:22 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:I know you're upset Julius, but calm down... my prediction did not actually make your favourite lose.

Nadal was using the blister as a crutch to yet again be the underdog. Not saying he did not have a blister problem but he exaggerated it as he always does. That is the way Nadal rolls and you have to admit it. Federer could be playing lights out and have better form coming into the Nadal match and Nadal could have one of his arms cut off and Nadal would still have the big advantage in that match-up. It is just the way it is.

BlueClay

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Nadal actually said that the blister itself isn't an issue, it's the blister tape that was affecting his serve- and given the difference in performance between Dimi match and Fed match- looks like he was accurate.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Nadal actually said that the blister itself isn't an issue, it's the blister tape that was affecting his serve- and given the difference in performance between Dimi match and Fed match- looks like he was accurate.

That's what everyone who knows anything about tennis said. Alas, some Rafa fans thought he was lying after the Dimi match.

Yes Amri - I am still incandescent with rage and suspect I will probably be angry for the rest of my life. It will make sleeping at night very difficult, but possibly therapy will help. If only I had your jinxing powers perhaps I could have affected the outcome. On the other hand I suspect a therapist would frown on that viewpoint.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:40 pm

mikeyM1000 wrote:
Yes Amri - I am still incandescent with rage and suspect I will probably be angry for the rest of my life. It will make sleeping at night very difficult, but possibly therapy will help.
Don't worry, he may lose to Stan.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:45 pm

I'm happy with either outcome. A new slam winner is always welcome, especially these days. but I like to see records broken, and this may the only double career slam I ever get to see.

What you need to do Amri is forthrightly proclaim that Stan will win and that Rafa has no chance. That will guarantee the latter of the two above outcomes. Rafa's fate is in your hands - it will feel great to know that you helped him to win.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Amri, where has the thread in which you admit you are an idiot who knows nothing about tennis gone?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:49 pm

It's this thread - but renamed. I don't think he really meant it  Sad

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:50 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Amri, where has the thread in which you admit you are an idiot who knows nothing about tennis gone?

Scroll up the thread, you'll see it.

Edit: 6:21 pm you'll see it.

Last edited by Julia Santamaria on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:52 pm

mikeyM1000 wrote:I'm happy with either outcome. A new slam winner is always welcome, especially these days. but I like to see records broken, and this may the only double career slam I ever get to see.
He says, with a Swiss flag hanging from his back.

What you need to do Amri is forthrightly proclaim that Stan will win and that Rafa has no chance.
That's not true though, both player have a chance, but Nadal is bookies favourite.

Rafa's fate is in your hands - it will feel great to know that you helped him to win.
Rafa's forehand and tennis helps him win, stop trying to take credit away from Rafito.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:05 pm

I'm not Swiss.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:29 pm

I know, I was indicating the Swiss flag to support Stan, not due to your nationality.

It's like at the O2 where many English Nadal fans bring in a Spanish flag.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Amri, where has the thread in which you admit you are an idiot who knows nothing about tennis gone?

Scroll up the thread, you'll see it.

Edit: 6:21 pm you'll see it.

But why?

You need to be able to laugh at yourself now and then, Amri...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:I know, I was indicating the Swiss flag to support Stan, not due to your nationality.

When have I supported Stan?

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:00 pm

mikeyM1000 wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:I know, I was indicating the Swiss flag to support Stan, not due to your nationality.

When have I supported Stan?
This Sunday you will Winking

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:14 pm

But I just said I don't really have a preference. You may make things up (I'll be charitable and not call it lying) but I don't.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:25 pm

Are you sure? Winking

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:33 pm

At the start I made up lots of stuff about Rafa that I didn't mean, but I've already admitted to that, and it was for a strictly limited period.
The irony is that you believe the made up stuff and don't believe the true stuff. Can't help you there, I'm afraid.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:56 pm

mikeyM1000 wrote:At the start I made up lots of stuff about Rafa that I didn't mean, but I've already admitted to that, and it was for a strictly limited period.
The irony is that you believe the made up stuff and don't believe the true stuff. Can't help you there, I'm afraid.
Maybe, but perhaps not; maybe I've got it the right way round.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:18 pm

But I would know better than you, obviously. I actually know (and I tell you) whereas you don't know and just guess.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Look I know you know better than me, and I know what you tell me; but that doesn't mean necessarily what you know is what you say.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Look I know you know better than me, and I know what you tell me; but that doesn't mean necessarily what you know is what you say.

Impressive stuff, Amri!
Started out as a Nadal fan, then turned a budding junior tennis correspondent and now the latest stage of your metamorphosis - a quasi psycho-philosopher!
Keep it up, you are going places!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:35 pm

I'm not a quasi psycho-philosopher lol, I'm just using logic.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:23 pm

I'm not sure logic is the right word, because logic usually reaches a definitive conclusion, whereas your statement leaves it open - the reverse could also logically be true.

Anyway, we're just figments of Tenez' imagination, so it's a moot point.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down