Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
One of the best match ever? EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
One of the best match ever? EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
One of the best match ever? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
One of the best match ever? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
One of the best match ever? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
One of the best match ever? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
One of the best match ever? EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
One of the best match ever? EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
One of the best match ever? EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

One of the best match ever?

+3
gallery play
noleisthebest
Tenez
7 posters

Go down

One of the best match ever? Empty One of the best match ever?

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:31 pm

Not much drama in spite of a 5 setter and I think Fed could have won that one in 4 if not 3 had he not been too tired...but what I find extremely impressive is the pace and clean hitting. I don;t think we can find a match which comes close in terms 2 players playing at their best level, trying to out hit their opponent.

I am open to suggestions but you can see that the 2 players play with freedom, clearly executing the way they want. Before that Fed v Nalby or Fed v Safin but I fear that if I look at those older matches now they will look poor in comparison, essentially as fed's BH will look weak in comparison.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

One of the best match ever? Empty Re: One of the best match ever?

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:13 am

Well, this is tennis as it should be played.

SBH, standing on or inside baseline, no gamesmanship, no time wasting, between friends in good spirit, play to win, man to man and may the best man win.

As pure as it can get in professional world.

Oh, I forgot!
No grunting and no groaning.
No kids. Men only.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:50 am

yep. I just watched a replay of fed v Nalbandian in Paris indoor 07. Nalbandian was playing well but it was a clear disadvantage for Federer as his BH was such a weakness back then. I mean great BH considering but when hammered by Nalby, it forced Federer into so much running. Quite unfair if anything. Even his FH was way too loopy.

How can he make such a mistake of not trying a bigger frame. ....he did he tried a few times but didn't feel quite right.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:05 am

..and Murray the scrapper...especially in that second set.

One for you Slippy!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:56 am

Stan and Fed are by far the most entertaining players of the past 30 years so put them together on 1 court and you'll get fireworks. About this year's AO match: it was a great match, i only felt Federer could have been a little more consistant. His A level throughout wouldn't allow Stan to push him all the way.

I can add the links of some famous epics but i guess we all know 'm

So how about this one:

Check it out, it's crazy. winner after winner after winner. Two men stepping inside the court every time they can.
Amazing and sad both men faded away without winning a slam.

Last edited by gallery play on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:04 am; edited 3 times in total

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:58 am

Roj? Do you mean Stan?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:00 am

Tenez wrote:Roj? Do you mean Stan?
changed it Big Grin

watch my link will you?

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:28 am

I will when im at my desk.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Yes I remember this match GP. It was the time when I was betting a lot and made big losses during the match but ended up making some nice money so the drama side was amplified.

Great shot making, really good but it was just before the RRunners' domination and you can see the footwork is much less demanding that now. Fed and Stan hurt each other on every shot almost there is no round of observation.

I guess another very high level match woudl be Kyrgios v Federer in Miami this year.

But I don;t know if it does the same to you but I find it more difficult to watch Federer's match from the past now. I used to watch them a lot but I feel like Fed has now "2 FHs", whereas when I watch old matches I think it;s disturbingly unfair to see how he fights those guys with his SHBH and small racquet. So in a way he had even much more merit then than winning now. He doesn;t run as much nowadays but his shots have more purpose.

I feel that Fed and Nadal have lifted the bar again this year...very bizarre. The scary thing is that some youngsters nowadays can challenge them.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:13 pm

gallery play wrote:Stan and Fed are by far the most entertaining players of the past 30 years so put them together on 1 court and you'll get fireworks. About this year's AO match: it was a great match, i only felt Federer could have been a little more consistant. His A level throughout wouldn't allow Stan to push him all the way.
I can add the links of some famous epics but i guess we all know 'm
So how about this one:

Check it out, it's crazy. winner after winner after winner. Two men stepping inside the court every time they can.
Amazing and sad both men faded away without winning a slam.

I think I'll never be a convert to Nalby however smooth his ballstriking was...Baggy had more flair.
I didn't see the match but just from a few minutes of the clip it looked pretty monotonous: long crosscourt exchanges and then a winner dtl. Rinse amd repeat. Pure baseline.

Nishi is far more dynamic to watch for me and better than Nalby. Goffin, too.

Nalby was a bit of a narcissist.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:23 pm

I'd say the match vs Stan was probably Federer's worst match at the AUS open this year. A completely disjointed error fest. The match against Berdych was superb.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Emancipator wrote:I'd say the match vs Stan was probably Federer's worst match at the AUS open this year. A completely disjointed error fest. The match against Berdych was superb.
Not sure about that. Berdych is a bit robotic for Fed and makes him look better than he is. Versus Stan the errors are certainly kind of forced.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:25 pm

But there weren't even many winners in the Wawrinka match. Fed had just 47 winners to 50 UFE.

Against Nishikori Fed hit 83 winners with just 47 UFE - now that's clean hitting.

Against Berdych 40 winners and just 17 UFE in just 3 sets (62 64 64)

You picked a bad example for what could have been an interesting point.

Generally speaking I think Federer neutralises Stan too easily and Stan ends up making too many errors.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:30 pm

I was going to say actually that Nishi v Fed came close too to be the best match ...but I did not see it all and the ups and downs were a bit too much. But when both were on top, it was pretty high quality and intense.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Too me Stan is a much better player than Berds. 3 slams to 0 and a convincing H2H....so the higher tennis has to be between Stan and Fed ...not Berds.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:35 pm

Not necessarily - depends on the match.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:36 pm

Tenez wrote:I was going to say actually that Nishi v Fed came close too to be the best match ...but I did not see it all and the ups and downs were a bit too much. But when both were on top, it was pretty high quality and intense.

That was a great match - pulsating. Beautiful rallies and shotmaking.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:37 pm

... wrote:
I think I'll never be a convert to Nalby however smooth his ballstriking was...Baggy had more flair.
I didn't see the match but just from a few minutes of the clip it looked pretty monotonous: long crosscourt exchanges and then a winner dtl. Rinse amd repeat. Pure baseline.

You didn't stop watching after 2 minutes did you?

Of course there are many more matches like this but i was triggered when Tenez wrote "2 players play with freedom, clearly executing the way they want."  Because that's exactly what you see here. I remember watching that match and was stunned how both were in a kinda hurry to pull the trigger, before the other did it first. But it's not brainless bashing tough. They were both wrong footing and out manoeuvring each other all the time. Personally i think you just don't see this brand of tennis anymore.
Federer (not in top shape yet that year) was lucky he met a nervous Baggi in the final and not fat dave.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:40 pm

Emancipator wrote:
Tenez wrote:I was going to say actually that Nishi v Fed came close too to be the best match ...but I did not see it all and the ups and downs were a bit too much. But when both were on top, it was pretty high quality and intense.

That match annoyed the shit out of me. Federer for not finishing Nishi off, and Nishi for hanging in just for the sake of it.
The highlight of the AO was by far the final set of the tournament.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Tenez wrote:But I don;t know if it does the same to you but I find it more difficult to watch Federer's match from the past now. I used to watch them a lot but I feel like Fed has now "2 FHs", whereas when I watch old matches I think it;s disturbingly unfair to see how he fights those guys with his SHBH and small racquet. So in a way he had even much more merit then than winning now. He doesn;t run as much nowadays but his shots have more purpose.
True. Even in those 2006 indoor clips. He seemed so untouchable back then. But now you can see how neutral his BH actually was.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:45 pm

gallery play wrote:
Emancipator wrote:

That match annoyed the shit out of me. Federer for not finishing Nishi off, and Nishi for hanging in just for the sake of it.
You mean the last 5 games! Winking Magic!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:55 pm

Tenez wrote:
gallery play wrote:
Emancipator wrote:

You mean the last 5 games! Winking Magic!

If we're talking just single sets then that was one of the best sets of tennis I've ever seen where both players were playing high quality stuff. Federer literally had to go into God mode to get the break back and Rafa saved so many BPs with incredible winners. I think the first 6 BPs were all saved with winners from Rafa.

Nalby was such a talented player. That BH is special. One of the few players that could dictate against peak Federer.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:03 pm

gallery play wrote:
... wrote:

You didn't stop watching after 2 minutes did you?

Of course there are many more matches like this but i was triggered when Tenez wrote "2 players play with freedom, clearly executing the way they want."  Because that's exactly what you see here. I remember watching that match and was stunned how both were in a kinda hurry to pull the trigger, before the other did it first. But it's not brainless bashing tough. They were both wrong footing and out manoeuvring each other all the time. Personally i think you just don't see this brand of tennis anymore.
Federer (not in top shape yet that year) was lucky he met a nervous Baggi in the final and not fat dave.
How did you know!!! tongueout

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:39 pm

gallery play wrote:The highlight of the AO was by far the final set of the tournament.
+1

It was amazing. High quality plus drama. After being broken, Fed was creating BPs again and again but Rafa initially managed to hold every time. In the end, Fed broke (twice) but then Rafa still got to 15-40 on Fed's serve in the final game (I am still nervous when I think of the FH winner Fed hit at 30-40).

Fed coming back from a break down in the final set against Rafa. If anyone told me before the final that this could happen I would laugh my head off.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Let us refresh our memory:

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:16 pm

I must have seen those five games half a dozen times at least.

Another one that I love rewatching is the fifth game of the first set in their Indian Wells match (when Fed breaks for 4:1 lead).  Fed hits a number of breathtaking BHs in that single game.

I have TennisTV subscription so I watch it there.  Unfortunately I cannot find it anywhere on a free feed.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:04 pm

... wrote:Let us refresh our memory:

In the beginning of this clip at 1-3 15-15 down, Federer hits a FH winner pumps his fist a little.  Even though It still looked hopeless for fed at that point, at least for anyone watching. But somehow he must have had the feeling he was fully in the match. I mean, how many times have we seen him depressed and despondent in a situation like that? Not that day, This moment is the match in a nutshell. He seemed to know the outcome.
Actually, Luthi said something like that too. He was completely in awe by Fed's determination that day.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:23 pm

What I just noticed was the moment Federer broke how adrenalin propelled him and at the same time deflated Nadal.

Both were tired and that small moment made a big difference as Nadal started making errors he didn't before, simply because he was a step late, as if his legs felt just that bit heavier all of a sudden.

Nadal played best ever, yet it was not enough. 
The Neo BH earnt that trophy singlehandedly!!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Pretty amazing how Nadal comes back from 3/4 0/40 and saves 4 or 5 BPs. and then 15/40 with 2 points to get back on serve again. Never say die.

Federer was deserved to win in 3 or 4 sets.....but I feel he was "lucky" in that 5th ....lucky to play that well.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:22 am

Yes, Nadal added a lot to this match.
He gave everything, yet finally his gutless play "paid off", i.e. he wasn't able to win with it any more even though he was playing close to the baseline.

He missed a few crucial points si ply because he was scared to pull the trigger.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:46 pm

Good Collection of AO BH's.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:06 pm

Tenez wrote:but I feel he was "lucky" in that 5th ....lucky to play that well.
Don't agree. He was quite unlucky Nadal's do or die strokes at all those breakpoints landed all in. But Nadal simply ran out of lifelines in the end.
I would say in Wimbledon 2007 final there was some luck involved. Nadal had the momentum and was twice on 15-40 on Federer's serve.  One magic game by Federer changed the match, and from there Nadal was unable to recover. AO 2017 Federer played magic game after magic game in the fifth, it was Nadal who was lucky for maintaining the lead for so long.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Yes i only meant lucky to dind his grove....many times in the past it deserted him. As i said he could have won in 3 or 4 sets had he been fresher....but then again quite lucky to have that extra day of rest after those tough 5 setters in Semi.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:30 pm

... wrote:What I just noticed was the moment Federer broke how adrenalin propelled him and at the same time deflated Nadal.
I don't agree about Fed.  I think Fed's body language looked (very shockingly to me, having seen his body language in previous matches vs Rafa) quite positive throughout the fifth set, even while he was behind and trying to find that break.

I totally agree about Rafa though; the look in his face was so telling.

Funnily, that body language then stayed with them not only for the rest of the match but also through IW and Miami.  Unlike in the past, it was Fed who looked comfortable and Rafa who looked like he knew he would not win.

I suspect it is because when they play they both know who "holds the better cards".  In the past, it was Rafa.  On a given day, Fed could play lights out and win, but they still both knew that, everything else being equal, Rafa was more likely to win and Fed needed to get lucky.  Whereas this spring it was the other way around - and they both knew it too.

And while they fight their best in spite of it, they cannot quite hide it in their body language.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:24 am

I avoided to re-watch that match till tonight as it was frustrating to see Fed miss so many opp to break and lose. But gosh that was so close despite the 4 setter.

I think this is one of the best match ever from Fed where he lost, USO11 as well but to me he did not play nearly as well in 2011 than in that uso 15 match.

Problem is Djoko is everywhere. Never seen a guy moving so well. It must have been so depressing from fed to be hitting great shots after great shots yet to see the ball coming back. Conds are quite fast....but doesn't help against this Djoko.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Nowhere near being the best match ever or even of that tournament, but the speed at which the ball shoots off from the racquets off these two very attacking players is great to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNJbfggF6AE 
Love Davy vs Feds

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:55 pm

luvsports! wrote:Nowhere near being the best match ever or even of that tournament, but the speed at which the ball shoots off from the racquets off these two very attacking players is great to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNJbfggF6AE 
Love Davy vs Feds

And that is what makes it a great match. Rare to see tennis played at speed. fed would have beaten anybody that day. And Djoko woudl have outrun anybody too. Djoko court speed is ridiculous!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down