Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
djok* - Djokovic's greatest triumph - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
djok* - Djokovic's greatest triumph - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
djok* - Djokovic's greatest triumph - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
djok* - Djokovic's greatest triumph - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
djok* - Djokovic's greatest triumph - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
djok* - Djokovic's greatest triumph - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
djok* - Djokovic's greatest triumph - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
djok* - Djokovic's greatest triumph - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
djok* - Djokovic's greatest triumph - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Djokovic's greatest triumph

+6
Jahu
legendkillar
noleisthebest
gallery play
bogbrush
luvsports!
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

djok* - Djokovic's greatest triumph - Page 2 Empty Re: Djokovic's greatest triumph

Post by gallery play Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:54 am

I may even win 90% + against my mate on every point...  So... I'm clearly ready to take on Federer, right?
Good logic, BB will be very happy you're teaming up with him

Whistle

gallery play

Back to top Go down

djok* - Djokovic's greatest triumph - Page 2 Empty Re: Djokovic's greatest triumph

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:50 am

gallery play wrote:
I may even win 90% + against my mate on every point...  So... I'm clearly ready to take on Federer, right?
Good logic, BB will be very happy you're teaming up with him

Whistle
I think he's wring an absurd statement to illustrate the absurdity of the opposite argument. You write lists of % results against each other and draw conclusions from it, which is ridiculous. You home in on some stats about Djokovic this year to prove he's better yet ignore that (i) he's been losing to all sorts of players who wouldn't previously have got a set, and (ii) these losses have meant he's not generally been playing the calibre of opponents who he would have in the past and thus his stats would be expected to be better anyway.

There's simply a very weak standard of analysis being done to back up a fatuous hypothesis. 

I mean, I'm sure you're delighted that you have nitb backing you up with priceless stuff like "You don't understand the basic concept that players simply get better with age".

I've not taken that out of context and there was no reply to my mockery of it by asking why Laver isn't winning everything.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:02 am

The problem with you BB, isn't that you don't read other's post very well, it isn't that you comment on matches you obviously haven't seen, it isn't that you don't understand that stats mean EVERYTHING in sport, it isn't that you constantly twist the meaning of words of others, it isn't you put words in others people's mouths..
it is your everlasting patronizing tone. Maybe it's my interpretation of that tone so no offense.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:20 am

Stats don't mean everything in sport.

A % won't tell you that Federer has way more shots and tricks in his arsenal than Nadal.  The stats you provided don't tell you how fast they were running compared to yesteryear, nor unforced errors, nor serve % in, nor serve speed.

Thus, largely, they are worthless.

Bogbrush is right that the exact same variables are in play.  If you put Nadal this tournament up against Dustin Brown - who he struggles with on grass.... where does your argument go when Nadal loses again?

Nadal isn't a better player now than he was in 2008.  Know why?  Cause he's lost 5 times - many of them to total rank outsiders.  If he were getting better, the last 5 years of losing to rosol, darcis, kyrgios (then low ranked), brown, and muller... would not have happened.

But it did.

So.... you and NITB need to explain why that happened if he is getting better and better year on year.

Do you realize that your argument makes zero sense?

And likewise with Djokovic. He's just come off a total lack of tournament wins.  If he's getting better and better... how did that happen?  NITB will, of course, like a raving fanboy, blame family, his wife, his pet dog, his diet, the moon.

When facts and observations don't follow the narrative - play the excuse game.

Last edited by Daniel on Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:26 am

Also, I keep repeating this, but scientific studies and tests have proved that as we age, we lose fine motor skills, speed, agility, and eventually even our eye sight is shot (i mean..  Bogbrush has deliberately chosen Laver as an example to illustrate the absurdity of NITB's position).

This isn't a debate we are having here and you all need to realize it.  Esp NITB.  You're arguing with science fact.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:12 pm

gallery play wrote:The problem with you BB, isn't that you don't read other's post very well, it isn't that you comment on matches you obviously haven't seen, it isn't that you don't understand that stats mean EVERYTHING in sport, it isn't that you constantly twist the meaning of words of others, it isn't you put words in others people's mouths..
it is your everlasting patronizing tone. Maybe it's my interpretation of that tone so no offense.
No, it's not just you...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:17 pm

bogbrush wrote:
I mean, I'm sure you're delighted that you have nitb backing you up with priceless stuff like "You don't understand the basic concept that players simply get better with age".

I've not taken that out of context and there was no reply to my mockery of it by asking why Laver isn't winning everything.

Well, sorry, but there is no other way of saying it.

I am genuinely surprised you can't see it as it is so obvious and common knowledge.

If you don't believe me, believe Federer, Nadal and Djokovic who have said so many times how they all push each other to be better players.

If a guy beats you continually, you work your socks off to improve your game and beat him. Simples.
Not to mention continuous improved timing.

Look how harder Nadal is striking his BH now.

Nole couldn't volley to save his life a few years ago and this Wimbledon he hit some first class tough volleys.

There are so many examples....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:20 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Well, sorry, but there is no other way of saying it.

I am genuinely surprised you can't see it as it is so obvious and common knowledge.

If you don't believe me, believe Federer, Nadal and Djokovic who have said so many times how they all push each other to be better players.

If a guy beats you continually, you work your socks off to improve your game and beat him. Simples.
Not to mention continuous improved timing.

Look how harder Nadal is  striking his BH now.

Nole couldn't volley to save his life a few years ago and this Wimbledon he hit some first class tough volleys.

There are so many examples....
Oh my God, you’ve doubled down.

Ok, so tell me if that is true why Rod Laver isn’t winning Slams today.

(this is going to be fun)

Last edited by bogbrush on Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:22 pm

gallery play wrote:The problem with you BB, isn't that you don't read other's post very well, it isn't that you comment on matches you obviously haven't seen, it isn't that you don't understand that stats mean EVERYTHING in sport, it isn't that you constantly twist the meaning of words of others, it isn't you put words in others people's mouths..
The problem with you gp is you don’t appear to have absorbed the lesson that there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Stats are handy but you need to know how to interpret them. That’s where the insight such as that which I provide comes in.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2