Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Masters - Canadian Masters 1000 - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Masters - Canadian Masters 1000 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Masters - Canadian Masters 1000 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Masters - Canadian Masters 1000 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Masters - Canadian Masters 1000 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Masters - Canadian Masters 1000 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Masters - Canadian Masters 1000 - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Masters - Canadian Masters 1000 - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Masters - Canadian Masters 1000 - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Canadian Masters 1000

+8
Slippy
Daniel
Emancipator
N2D2L
noleisthebest
summerblues
Tenez
bogbrush
12 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Masters - Canadian Masters 1000 - Page 3 Empty Re: Canadian Masters 1000

Post by Tenez Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:33 am

Just watched some highlights. Nadal was standing so far back. He can't do that in 2017, he made Shapa look better than he was.

Always the same thing with Rafa...asa there is a bit of pace, be it Dimi (19yo) in Rotterdam, young Cilic, Delpo or Pouille, or Gilles and Kyrgios on slow grass, he panics. Young Djoko was right: "nadal is easy to beat".

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:29 am

Nadal just won a slam doing that Tenez...  It was 2017.  Nadal is still beating top players standing that far back. What has 2017 got to do with anything?

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:30 am

DECIMA wrote:
Daniel wrote:let me guess... Nadal injured?  Right?
Nope, has anyone claimed he was? You also speculated that Nadal would blame his Wimbledon loss due to injury, I challenged you to find evidence, will you acknowledge he hasn't done so? You complain that Tenez makes claims without evidence, but these claims have been similar.

I am getting that in before Tenez and Slippy arrive to make excuses, actually. Apparently, the only reason Coric beat Nadal was clear injury.  No way could a younger player beat this power house when  he's fit.  And within 24 hours they are made to look stupid by an 18 year old. I didn't say Nadal definitely would do that - only that he has a track record of doing so.  And I have another year or more to wait before I am happy he won't.  He's made excuses long after the fact before today.  he also wasn't very gracious in defeat at Wimbledon either, if you read what he wrote.  It was typically speaking out of both sides of his mouth  i.e.,  So maybe he deserve it a little more than me.  What kind of crappy statement is that?

Nadal was also at his humble best today too - shouting odds at the umpire.

Last edited by Daniel on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:38 am; edited 5 times in total

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:33 am

Well the draw has opened up like a dream. Haase, Mannarino, Anderson, Schwartzman, Shapalov in the Quarters of a Masters. Luck of the draw has taken a new meaning.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:34 am

Looks like he was fine from what I saw, unlike the two losses to Coric!

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 am

legendkillar wrote:Well the draw has opened up like a dream. Haase, Mannarino, Anderson, Schwartzman, Shapalov in the Quarters of a Masters. Luck of the draw has taken a new meaning.

Zverev is still a huge threat, but Federer can beat anyone at the moment.  It won't last forever, so we best enjoy it while we can.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:41 am

Daniel wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Well the draw has opened up like a dream. Haase, Mannarino, Anderson, Schwartzman, Shapalov in the Quarters of a Masters. Luck of the draw has taken a new meaning.

Zverev is still a huge threat, but Federer can beat anyone at the moment.  It won't last forever, so we best enjoy it while we can.

In current form, I'd pick Federer day and night.

I'd be intrigued to see Zverev vs Mannarino/Shapalov given that both will have more partisan support with the French Canadian contingent.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:49 am

Oh what lovely news to wake up to! Big Grin

Shapa won! love
Nadal lost (and no number one) Gift

Two for the price of one! cracker

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdoch Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:02 am

For the first time in a long time, I'm seeing a young player who has the potential to be the real deal.

Shapovalov has genuine power on both wings and combines that with some clever angles. He also is not anchored to the baseline and although he butchered a few volleys, I like that he was willing to put himself in those positions.

His backswing on his groundstrokes seems unusually large, which may become an obstacle to him, but at age 18 his potential is enormous.

HM Murdoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:05 am

Daniel wrote:

Laugh
One day you will be right.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:08 am

legendkillar wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I'd be intrigued to see Zverev vs Mannarino/Shapalov given that both will have more partisan support with the French Canadian contingent.

Federer will be tired today. Agut will have a good chance. When was the last time Fed played 3 matches in a row?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:10 am

HM Murdoch wrote:For the first time in a long time, I'm seeing a young player who has the potential to be the real deal.

Shapovalov has genuine power on both wings and combines that with some clever angles. He also is not anchored to the baseline and although he butchered a few volleys, I like that he was willing to put himself in those positions.

His backswing on his groundstrokes seems unusually large, which may become an obstacle to him, but at age 18 his potential is enormous.

He certainly has the potential but as I mentioned I would not say that based on beating Nadal on HC. A few youngsters have done it before or have got very close. Doing it over Bo5 v Nadal is very different.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:14 am

Tenez wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Federer will be tired today. Agut will have a good chance. When was the last time Fed played 3 matches in a row?

Agut has racked up 5 hours and 20 minutes on court as opposed to Federer 2 hours and 49 minutes which is nearly half of Agut. Fed might be tired, but probably not as much as Agut.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:25 am

Agut is 7 years younger and that makes aaaaaaaall the difference in the world to legs after a long match.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:33 am

The guy went and played a clay event prior to Montreal!

Age isn't going to be a factor in this match. Seriously if you are going to tell me a guy is going to be flaked after 2 matches compared with a guy who has played more matches and a warm up event on a different surface before lacks the advantage?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 am

legendkillar wrote:The guy went and played a clay event prior to Montreal!

Age isn't going to be a factor in this match. Seriously if you are going to tell me a guy is going to be flaked after 2 matches compared with a guy who has played more matches and a warm up event on a different surface before lacks the advantage?
Agut is a very good player who can beat a tired Federer.
Esp the way Federer played last night.

It's all in the legs when tennis is fast, and Gutty can play very fast, great FH!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:49 am

Anyone can beat a tired player, but Federer has played 2 matches and already is tired?? It sounds like the guy is made of glass or a delicate flower.

Federer isn't going to be running on fumes after 2 matches on the back of 3 week break. Agut himself had a 3 set slog against Monfils in which Monfils was a corpse on court and it still took him 3 sets to put him away. He isn't going to be less tired than Federer that's for sure.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:50 am

Tenez wrote:Just watched some highlights. Nadal was standing so far back. He can't do that in 2017, he made Shapa look better than he was.

Always the same thing with Rafa...asa there is a bit of pace, be it Dimi (19yo) in Rotterdam, young Cilic, Delpo or Pouille, or Gilles and Kyrgios on slow grass, he panics. Young Djoko was right: "nadal is easy to beat".
I saw the highlights, too. Shame they didn't show TB.

It was difficult to gauge the flow of the game, but the interesting thing was they both started playing same distance (1m) behind the baseline.

When Nadal tried "to mix things up" and moved back to ad boards, Shaovalov took over and moved closer.

Still, both spent a lot of time behind the baseline.

Shap's silent grunting reminded me a bit of Stan, but his love for the ball and smoothness/freedom in movement, had Federer's stamp.

A great competitor for an 18 year old.

Also, what I liked was the Ostapenko side in him.
He keeps going for his shots time after time...the abandon, love it!

He is well built, and excellent serve for his height. A robust SBH-er, real talent.

Compare him to sweaty Thiem, what a difference!

Hope he builds on this and doesn't crush under media pressure like Pouille.

Last edited by ... on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdoch Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:56 am

Tenez wrote:
He certainly has the potential but as I mentioned I would not say that based on beating Nadal on HC. A few youngsters have done it before or have got very close. Doing it over Bo5 v Nadal is very different.
It's not so much the result as the weapons at his disposal.

He appears to have point-ending shots on both wings and a strong, attacking mentality.

HM Murdoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:04 am

Even if Fed wins this, we will be short 10 points on Nadal.

Andy: 7750
Rafa:  7555 
Fed:   7545

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:32 am

legendkillar wrote:
Tenez wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Agut has racked up 5 hours and 20 minutes on court as opposed to Federer 2 hours and 49 minutes which is nearly half of Agut. Fed might be tired, but probably not as much as Agut.
I did not realise Agut spent so much time.....still Fed will be tired.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 am

It's not simply 2 matches...it's 2 matches in a row. Fed mentioned at the age of 27/28 that TMS1000 were "almost" harder than slam because of the 5 days in a row.

Hopefully, Agut won't return as well as Ferrer.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:39 am

... wrote:...Compare him to sweaty Thiem, what a difference!
you mean baby Muster!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:45 am

Tenez wrote:
... wrote:...Compare him to sweaty Thiem, what a difference!
you mean baby Muster!

Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:49 am

HM Murdoch wrote:....
He appears to have point-ending shots on both wings and a strong, attacking mentality.
That's very clear. But against Nadal quite a few players can do that. The difficulty is crossing the line v Nadal and doing it versus players who hit a pacier/flatter/deeper ball than Nadal. Cause when nadal is challenged by pace, he tends to stand further back and his shots fall shorter making it easier for the attacker.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:13 am

Tenez wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
Tenez wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I did not realise Agut spent so much time.....still Fed will be tired.

Indeed. His 2nd round match which was 2 sets took nearly 2 hours! Opposed to Federer's first match in the tournament which was under an hour! Yikes

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:25 am

Tenez wrote:

It's not simply 2 matches...it's 2 matches in a row. Fed mentioned at the age of 27/28 that TMS1000 were "almost" harder than slam because of the 5 days in a row.

He said that at 27/28 when he was playing a full schedule. This year he skipped Clay and had a 3 week break prior to this event. Agut didn't have either. There is no way that Federer should be tired or more tired than Agut after 2 matches even if back to back. There is a real danger over-amplifying issues which I don't think are going to impact Federer massively this year. His planning and schedule this year have been meticulous and immaculate and superbly effective.

He has been greatly assisted by the fact that the two biggest physical threats are currently out of the equation and the rest of the field are dropping like flies. The bodies are piling up. I can imagine Federer is smug inside knowing taking that time out last year and the clay this year and the field is dying on it's feet. It's worked a treat. When you consider Murray fought and ran like a mad man for the No.1 ranking and Federer this year will simply just stroll up and take it. An amazing contrast which poetically makes me laugh and smile because of the ease of it. Effortless in many ways. smiley

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:34 am

But it's tough on legs to play matches every day, LK. Esp at 36.

Imagine if footballers had to.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:41 am

legendkillar wrote:
Tenez wrote:

He said that at 27/28 when he was playing a full schedule. This year he skipped Clay and had a 3 week break prior to this event. Agut didn't have either. There is no way that Federer should be tired or more tired than Agut after 2 matches even if back to back. There is a real danger over-amplifying issues which I don't think are going to impact Federer massively this year. His planning and schedule this year have been meticulous and immaculate and superbly effective.

He has been greatly assisted by the fact that the two biggest physical threats are currently out of the equation and the rest of the field are dropping like flies. The bodies are piling up. I can imagine Federer is smug inside knowing taking that time out last year and the clay this year and the field is dying on it's feet. It's worked a treat. When you consider Murray fought and ran like a mad man for the No.1 ranking and Federer this year will simply just stroll up and take it. An amazing contrast which poetically makes me laugh and smile because of the ease of it. Effortless in many ways. smiley
Actually, it's not a question of being tired....it's a question of feeling stiff, aching. When comes 36.....the following day is terrible. You heard that athlete are taking a minimum of 8 strong ibu per day....when you are 36.....it's getting awful. Remember Agassi being flown to hospital after his every match of the his last 2 USO?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:44 am

Oh come on, Federer won't be tired. The first match was a warm up session and the second wasn't tough rallies.

I think this might be a challenge if Federer serves abd hit his backhand as badly as he did yesterday. He was really poor.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:46 am

Agree with BB. It's not like he's had two brutal back to back matches. He had a light run around and one proper match (which itself wasn't excessively long). Much more likely RBA will be feeling it given his matches to date.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:48 am

Jahu wrote:Even if Fed wins this, we will be short 10 points on Nadal.

Andy: 7750
Rafa:  7555 
Fed:   7545
I spotted this yesterday. Happily Nadal has some points to defend at Cincy so Federer would go into day 1 the event ahead.

He really needs to take this golden offer of 1000 points here.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:52 am

... wrote:But it's tough on legs to play matches every day, LK. Esp at 36.

Look at Teddy Sheringham ...

Played until he was 40!! Outfield.

Federer has played 2 matches and already mentions of him being tired are surfacing. Keep it in context to this season. He hasn't played week in week out.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:55 am

legendkillar wrote:

Federer has played 2 matches and already mentions of him being tired are surfacing. Keep it in context to this season. He hasn't played week in week out.
It's not so much the age as it's consecutive days of play.
Federer could play fine twice a week like footballers do...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:57 am

Tenez wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
Tenez wrote:

Actually, it's not a question of being tired....it's a question of feeling stiff, aching. When comes 36.....the following day is terrible. You heard that athlete are taking a minimum of 8 strong ibu per day....when you are 36.....it's getting awful. Remember Agassi being flown to hospital after his every match of the his last 2 USO?

I am not disputing aches or pains. I am disputing him being tired after 2 matches!

He hasn't played a full season this year. Tiredness is not going to be a huge factor in Federer's performance in Montreal. Yes it was a poor performance yesterday by his lofty standards, but I wouldn't be too concerned. Agut struggled yesterday to put Monfils to bed. I can't imagine there will be a big swing in form for him.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:00 pm

... wrote:
legendkillar wrote:

Football and tennis are 2 different beasts. Footballers would love weeks apart between matches like tennis players...

Football would not be the comparative I'd like to use with tennis.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:01 pm

In thay case Agut will be tired too.
Monf can drain blood out of stone and really wear you out with his court coverage...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:01 pm

legendkillar wrote:
I am not disputing aches or pains. I am disputing him being tired after 2 matches!

He hasn't played a full season this year. Tiredness is not going to be a huge factor in Federer's performance in Montreal. Yes it was a poor performance yesterday by his lofty standards, but I wouldn't be too concerned. Agut struggled yesterday to put Monfils to bed. I can't imagine there will be a big swing in form for him.

Well as I said, I meant stiffness and aching....which is the result of tiredness after a match. Even the loss of the first set v Ferrer, is to me most likely the result of aching/stiffness. Once his body got warm, he was able to retrieve his game. Even in Wimbledon, that was often a pattern...difficult start then easing into the match.

Now playing 3 times in a row makes it even harder.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:02 pm

... wrote:In thay case Agut will be tired too.
Monf can drain blood out of stone and really wear you out with his court coverage...

He will for sure. Watching the match was physically draining!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:04 pm

legendkillar wrote:
... wrote:
legendkillar wrote:

Football and tennis are 2 different beasts. Footballers would love weeks apart between matches like tennis players...
But modern tennis is tougher than football, isn't it?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Tenez wrote:
legendkillar wrote:

Well as I said, I meant stiffness and aching....which is the result of tiredness after a match. Even the loss of the first set v Ferrer, is to me most likely the result of aching/stiffness. Once his body got warm, he was able to retrieve his game. Even in Wimbledon, that was often a pattern...difficult start then easing into the match.

Now playing 3 times in a row makes it even harder.

Or just poor form. He isn't going to be physically disadvantaged more so than Agut. Not a chance. On the back of 1 tricky match we are now saying Federer is on the back foot despite Agut struggling more so against an opponent who was struggling physically badly.

It feels like this is excuses at the ready if by some miracle Agut downs Federer.

I see no reason to panic just because he struggled against Ferrer.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:12 pm

... wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
... wrote:
legendkillar wrote:

But modern tennis is tougher than football, isn't it?

So many factors ...

I can honestly say from playing both, football was tougher. Football is a contact sport. Least I can say with tennis I don't have to worry about the danger of someone kicking lumps out of me. That said though you'd imagine you spend more time on a tennis court than a football pitch.

The demands more so now in professional sport are totally unsustainable for the human body. I look at players now and wonder what their bodies will be like when they hit 50. The long term effects.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:13 pm

I saw only the second set of Federer's match yesterday, there were many UEs, possibly because of his footwork.

Agut will still be fresher than him.

Not excuse building, at all, just observing what happened.

Fed will probably win tonight, but if he makes the final, he should skip Cinci.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:19 pm

How will Agut be fresher exactly?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Oh god a full page of who will me tired more or who is more fresher.

Fed was OFF yesterday, god knows what, but woke up after first set, still a crap play.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:33 pm

legendkillar wrote:How will Agut be fresher exactly?
7 years younger.
More supple joints, quicker recovery.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:34 pm

Come on NITB, this is getting ridiculous. Has Tenez got some compromising photos of you?

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:34 pm

Jahu wrote:Oh god a full page of who will me tired more or who is more fresher.

Fed was OFF yesterday, god knows what, but woke up after first set, still a crap play.

I can see you are missing your "discussions" with Vee...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Get here, be good.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:49 pm

bogbrush wrote:Come on NITB, this is getting ridiculous. Has Tenez got some compromising photos of you?
How did you guess! Laugh

All I am saying is Federer is very creaky after matches these days.
His style of play demands highly tuned footwork, so it affects him even more than most others.

Flying tennis with lots of volleying like he played in AO is super draining.
More than 6 hour slugfests of AO 2012.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next