Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» General Election 2019: Advice
Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? EmptyYesterday at 8:15 pm by Tenez

» UK Elections 2019
Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? EmptyThu Dec 12, 2019 11:49 pm by Jahu

» Russia banned from all competitions for 4 years!
Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? EmptyThu Dec 12, 2019 11:36 pm by Jahu

» Some humour for this forum
Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 6:51 pm by naxroy

» Generation Worthless
Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? EmptySun Nov 24, 2019 10:43 pm by BEL19VE

» World Tour Final - London 2019
Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? EmptySun Nov 24, 2019 12:23 am by naxroy

» Will Nadal ever win a Tour Finals title?
Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? EmptySat Nov 16, 2019 2:34 am by summerblues

» When cupcake draws can't save you
Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? EmptyFri Nov 15, 2019 10:16 pm by Daniel2

» Fall 2019 tournaments
Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? EmptyFri Nov 15, 2019 2:16 pm by legendkillar

December 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum


Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Go down

Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? Empty Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by BEL19VE on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:45 pm

I really don't know.

All I can see is that he moves poorly on the surface, but really his game should be perfect for it.
Didn't he train in Barcelona when he was a teenager? Surely he could have learned to slide etc. perfectly then- and for a guy who puts in so much to training- is it that difficult to adapt to learn how to move on clay?

BEL19VE

Posts : 5418
Join date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? Empty Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Murray is a very artificial player with no spark and no weapons.
Lendl taught him how to blast a CC FH, and his fitness coach made a monster out of him.
But really, despite all those muscles, all he is able to do with hem is blast the ball for a set or two and run hard chasing the ball.

Clay tennis requires a lot of guile, but Murray's guile is all wrapped up in counter-punching.
He doesn't know how to attack intuitively, all his attacking efforts are learnt and unsure, hence ineffective.
He is also quite heavy and lacks proper light-footed tennis movement.
He is almost looking too big and strong for current tennis courts, like some hybrid cross of a giant rabbit/kangaroo.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27761
Join date : 2012-06-18

Back to top Go down

Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? Empty Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by Daniel on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Same. Murray is another baseline retriever with no real weapons. His only ally is consistently returning balls (like Nadal except Murray is worse at it). I have no idea why he is bad on clay, but my guess is, his footwork sucks.

Daniel

Posts : 3645
Join date : 2013-11-06

Back to top Go down

Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? Empty Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by Tenez on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:13 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:I really don't know.

All I can see is that he moves poorly on the surface, but really his game should be perfect for it.
Didn't he train in Barcelona when he was a teenager? Surely he could have learned to slide etc. perfectly then- and for a guy who puts in so much to training- is it that difficult to adapt to learn how to move on clay?
He went to Barcelona for the other "obvious" reasons!

Tenez

Posts : 20364
Join date : 2012-06-18

Back to top Go down

Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? Empty Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by BEL19VE on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:15 pm

Tenez wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:I really don't know.

All I can see is that he moves poorly on the surface, but really his game should be perfect for it.
Didn't he train in Barcelona when he was a teenager? Surely he could have learned to slide etc. perfectly then- and for a guy who puts in so much to training- is it that difficult to adapt to learn how to move on clay?
He went to Barcelona for the other "obvious" reasons!
Ah yes, he was a fan of the football club.

Great to see we are on the same wavelength!!

BEL19VE

Posts : 5418
Join date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? Empty Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by Tenez on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:16 pm

yes clay is extremely demanding on the footwork. You cannot rely on big muscles to move you around.

However I think Murray could do better if he tried harder. He seems to care more about Wimby and the HC season.

Tenez

Posts : 20364
Join date : 2012-06-18

Back to top Go down

Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? Empty Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:20 pm

I am not bothered why Murray is nit doing well on clay...I'll leave that to money mongering media, I want to know why Fognini is not doing better on clay?
Why does not anybody care about Dolgopolov or Paire....they could be such great clay players, miles better than Murray.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27761
Join date : 2012-06-18

Back to top Go down

Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? Empty Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by Tenez on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:43 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I am not bothered why Murray is nit doing well on clay...I'll leave that to money mongering media, I want to know why Fognini is not doing better on clay?
Why does not anybody care about Dolgopolov or Paire....they could be such great clay players, miles better than Murray.
Easy! Tey rely on too thin margins....and they are not talented enough to find those thin margins consistently.

Tenez

Posts : 20364
Join date : 2012-06-18

Back to top Go down

Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces? Empty Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum