Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon

4 posters

Go down

Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon Empty Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon

Post by luvsports! Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:53 pm

The All England Club is considering the use of an artificial playing surface at Wimbledon to cope with scheduling demands, according to The Mail On Sunday.
It is reported that talks are already underway regarding implementing the surface initially at club level to begin with. Such a move would be significant for Wimbledon. A tournament that prides itself on tradition.
According to The Daily Mail, the plans are being considered in order for more matches to be played on the premier courts at the tournament. Centre Court and Court One. Currently there are only three that takes place. Creating an imbalance between men’s and women’s games. The thinking is that new surface would accommodate more games being played before it is worn out.
Former world No.4 Tim Henman is a member of the All England Club committee. He has confirmed to the Mail that the idea is being looked at. It is possible that a hybrid practice court could be implemented in the near future.
“In an ideal world, you’d like to have four matches on Centre Court and Court No1,” Henman told the Mail on Sunday during a coaching session on HSBC’s Court 20 with the charity Give it Your Max.
“What people never focus on is the fact it’s a natural surface. It’s grass. You’ve got to have that court for 13 days and if you kill it in the first five days, then you’re in trouble.
“Wimbledon are investing a lot of money looking at the hybrid thing. When you see the football and rugby pitches now, they’re three per cent artificial. 
“We’re certainly looking at, “What does five per cent look like on a tennis court? What does 10 per cent look like on a tennis court?”
“If you go back a few generations, it was huge in America, Australia, India and a lot of it has died out because of the maintenance, the cost, the quality of court. If that area can evolve then it may be relevant for Wimbledon.”

Since 2001, courts at Wimbledon have been sown with 100% perennial Ryegrass. A cool-season grass that germinates faster than any other common lawn grass.
Should the plans got the go ahead, it is unclear as to when they would come to fruition. Any decision in unlikely to have an impact on next year’s tournament.

Thoughts?

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon Empty Re: Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:02 pm

I am not surprised.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon Empty Re: Officials Pondering The Use Of Artificial Playing Surfaces At Wimbledon

Post by legendkillar Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Just urgh!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:43 pm

I wonder how differently it would play.

Has anyone played on something like this?

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:50 pm

I only played on artificial clay, very nice.

The layer that was underneath actually looked like fake grass...the nasty plastic stuff.

I really can't imagine artificial grass, though.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:57 pm

I see the upsides. The best football fields are indeed a few percent artificial. And you can't really tell the difference. 
If the idea is to maintain the same court over 14 days, then it could be great.  Heck, if the maintanance of grass court will get cheaper and better manageable maybe we'll get to see more grass tournaments throughout the world.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:03 pm

gallery play wrote:I see the upsides. The best football fields are indeed a few percent artificial. And you can't really tell the difference. 
If the idea is to maintain the same court over 14 days, then it could be great.  Heck, if the maintanance of grass court will get cheaper and better manageable maybe we'll get to see more grass tournaments throughout the world.
That's the spirit!

I just don't understand how can grass be a few percent artificial, is it a cross with stg more durable?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:30 am

noleisthebest wrote:
gallery play wrote:I see the upsides. The best football fields are indeed a few percent artificial. And you can't really tell the difference. 
That's the spirit!

I just don't understand how can grass be a few percent artificial, is it a cross with stg more durable?
You can compare it with clothing. It's a mix of natural and synthetic material. They basically inject artifical fibers between the natural ones.
I don't know if it will work on a short cut tennis court but on a football field the the effect is that the grass keeps it's density. The fake blades of grass kinda protect the natural ones. It's the 100% synthetic grass (the ones they use in f.i. hockey) which changes the dynamics of the sport drastically. Tennis should stay away from those unless they want to bring back the carpet courts. Some football clubs use them but the hybrid ones (at least less than 10% artificial) are much more popular amongst the football players. 

I think it could be very interesting for tennis, as long as they find the right balance: the feel of a natural court and the playing tolerance of a artificial one

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:19 am

gallery play wrote:[
You can compare it with clothing. It's a mix of natural and synthetic material. They basically inject artifical fibers between the natural ones.
I don't know if it will work on a short cut tennis court but on a football field the the effect is that the grass keeps it's density. The fake blades of grass kinda protect the natural ones. It's the 100% synthetic grass (the ones they use in f.i. hockey) which changes the dynamics of the sport drastically. Tennis should stay away from those unless they want to bring back the carpet courts. Some football clubs use them but the hybrid ones (at least less than 10% artificial) are much more popular amongst the football players. 

I think it could be very interesting for tennis, as long as they find the right balance: the feel of a natural court and the playing tolerance of a artificial one

Very interesting!
Now I know why football pitches always look so beautifully green!

Sounds like a good idea in theory, and I’m sure they’ll be able to find the right solution in order to keep the balance right.

My only fear is that artificial blades don’t become what sand is to hard courts.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:58 am

noleisthebest wrote:My only fear is that artificial blades don’t become what sand is to hard courts.

That's a danger indeed. The ball sticks to a dry hybrid field. That's why they put a lot of water on a hybrid football field just before the match starts, to make sure the ball keeps "going".  They can't do that on a tennis court.
So if Wimbledon is going to do something with this, they will have to redesign the ball too.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:21 am

gallery play wrote: The ball sticks to a dry hybrid field. That's why they put a lot of water on a hybrid football field just before the match starts, to make sure the ball keeps "going". They can't do that on a tennis court.
I see...that makes sense.
Maybe instead of changing the ball, players could wear better gripping shoes like footballers (not quite the same but slightly longer "spikes"). Maybe it would’t compromise movement too much.
There would definitely be no sliding on grass then (Nole)
gallery play wrote:
So if Wimbledon is going to do something with this, they will have to redesign the ball too.
I am sure Wimbledon will do it, that's where all sport is heading with sponsor/TV money.

I just hope they can somehow preserve the "spirit" of grass Yikes , Wimbledon care about their prestige a lot and like to impress, so they'll probably do a very good job, at least at the beginning.

At the end of the day, we don't want clay conditions in the finals there, do we?
I remember when I was in Wimbledon for the Olympics final, the baseline was so bad with big holes and grooves , ready for sowing potatoes! That was because natural grass didn't have time to regrow properly after the "real" Wimbledon that had finished a few weeks before.

Plus, it would be nice to see 4-5 matches on CC.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum