Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
tennis - Money in tennis nowadays..... EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
tennis - Money in tennis nowadays..... EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
tennis - Money in tennis nowadays..... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
tennis - Money in tennis nowadays..... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
tennis - Money in tennis nowadays..... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
tennis - Money in tennis nowadays..... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
tennis - Money in tennis nowadays..... EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
tennis - Money in tennis nowadays..... EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
tennis - Money in tennis nowadays..... EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Money in tennis nowadays.....

3 posters

Go down

tennis - Money in tennis nowadays..... Empty Money in tennis nowadays.....

Post by Tenez Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:48 pm

I was looking at this h2h and found a very interesting stat. Hewitt and Murray are just 6 years apart. Hewitt has still the better record in terms of slams and tournaments wins, ranking wise. However they peaked 8 or 9 years apart and the price money has increased considerably since as Murray has made $26M as opposed to Hewitt $19M. I believe this is the result of the Federer Nadal years who put tennis back at the top of most interesting and watchable sports. Inflation is also a factor but I suspect most of it is due to tournaments able to increase prize money.
Having said that it is also the result of Murray's many slams finals.....good money....yet no cigar (no titles that is). Hewitt messed up the USO04, AO05....Whereas Murray lost 4 I believe....so I don;t think the 2 extra final can explain teh difference of $7M in prize money.
So in conclusion the reason for more money at the top is probably due to inflation and Federer/Nadal demand.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=MC10&oId=H432

Tenez

Back to top Go down

tennis - Money in tennis nowadays..... Empty Re: Money in tennis nowadays.....

Post by noleisthebest Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Yes, FEDAL definitely raised the profile of tennis as a sport, and with it the money.
Would be interesting to see how things change in years to come.
Murray will never be a fan magnet, I don't know anyone who'd pay to go and watch him, unless he's playing Federer, Djokovic, Berdych or Tsonga etc...

The prospect of Djokovic Murray playing final slams is truly grim, and I hope they don't turn into a trend as they really are a horrible match-up.

Having said that, I actually enjoyed watch them live in O2when Nole beat him. It was just sweet. Live, they look a lot different and less irritating as yo don't have the harrowin close-ups and growling expressions in your face all the time....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Isn't Nadal already ahead of Sampras in prize money? He hasn't won as much though, has he?

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down