Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Amazing what you can read nowadays!  EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Amazing what you can read nowadays!  EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Amazing what you can read nowadays!  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Amazing what you can read nowadays!  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Amazing what you can read nowadays!  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Amazing what you can read nowadays!  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Amazing what you can read nowadays!  EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Amazing what you can read nowadays!  EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Amazing what you can read nowadays!  EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Amazing what you can read nowadays!

2 posters

Go down

Amazing what you can read nowadays!  Empty Amazing what you can read nowadays!

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:57 am

Amazing what you can read nowadays!  Empty

Here is what we can read on another forum.

I had this thought about serve and volley. The slowing down of surfaces didn't kill it, it is just players technically unable to execute such a basic shot. It was ony during the Djokovic/Harrison encounter that Henman was commenting on that a pitch map was shown of rally hit point between Henman/Lopez 2007 and Djokovic/Harrison. 75% of Henman's shots were in the service boxes. About 4-5 shots in the Djokovic/Harrison match were in the service box.

I am sure Sampras, Rafter and Henman would've still continued to play the same way they had before surfaces were slowed down. You see I think today's player are not great at serving and volleying and are incapable of being able to play in such a manner. Yes we are blessed with some great servers in Raonic, Karlovic, Isner who hit a mighty serve, but cannot volley for taffy! Federer, Nadal, Djokovic are great volleyers, but don't have the potent serve to be able to follow into the net with a put away volley. Also Djokovic for me does not cover the net well.

I think even on Wimbledon grass there is room for a serve and volleyer. You could easily put a 115mph serve in and ghost in behind it with a volley. For me so many players in this championship have timed their runs to the net behind a serve or a FH up the line so poorly it makes you chomp. It seems when the baseliners came along in Hewitt, Safin and Federer and they had success that coaches were now telling their juniors sod volleying, baseline grind outs are the way forward for success. That now ushered a period of players that were baseline equipped and utterly net deprived. Yes it is simple to suggest that baseliners are now ranked by survival of the fittest, but I want coaches to be more bold. Take Roddick. When he was in his serving pomp, I think it was unknown as to where he should take his game. Do we improve the volleying or do we try to equip him with as many baseline variations as possible? I think that confusion in his early years from 2001-2003 condemned his game to such weaknesses that he was always going to be picked off by the better shot makers out there. I think had he gone for the volley, then he could've picked up a few more Slams.

Take today. You have Federer who is coming in behind serves. He is certainly an able and competent volleyer, but you see so many hesitations in his service games when he does hit a serve out wide or up the line and he follows it in 2-3 seconds too late. You see for me it is not that the top baseliners can't volley, it is just they don't commit to the play. Timing is out of sync and sometimes it can be painful to view. The shot should be in the mind before the player has served. In other words I am going to serve out wide and follow in with a cross court volley put away. I think if Federer was more comfortable with the idea of serve and volley and the execution of it, then I think he could easily experience more success.

So I urge all coaches out there, bring back the art of serve and volleying!!

LK is a nice poster but how on earth can we write something so far away from the truth?

Did he forget that in 2002, the year they increased the ball's size, Sampras lost in the first round of Wimbledon versus George Basle? Did he forget the thrashing Henman got versus Hewitt? Does he remember who were the players reaching the 1/4F in 2002? (Hewitt, Nalbandian, Lapenti, Andrea Sa, Kraji, Henman, Schalken, Malisse) and who got to the semi? (Hewitt, Henman (thanks to playing Andre Sa), Malisse and Nalbandian.

So suddenly in 2002 everybody forgot how to play SV? C'mon LK you can do better than this!!!

You say guys like Pete and Edberg coudl still volley their way to Wimbledon's wins? The truth is actually that guys like Llodra and Stepanek would most likely beat the old guard on those slow conds.

Last edited by Tenez on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Amazing what you can read nowadays!  Empty Re: Amazing what you can read nowadays!

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:05 pm

Last edited by noleisthebest on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Amazing what you can read nowadays!  Empty Re: Amazing what you can read nowadays!

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:33 pm

http://www.ja606.co.uk/articles/viewArticle/130670

Discussion taken there as well....

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:00 pm

good to keep both places going, I am really pleased both forums are alive, it's been a great experience leaving v2 and having "created" these two tennis homes where we can talk freely without various morons telling you what you can and cannot say Cheers

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Exactly! I wish I could advertise this one on the other forum.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down