» Wimbledon 2017 Talk
Yesterday at 2:48 pm by legendkillar

» U.S Election
Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:32 pm by Veejay

» Grass Season - Expectations
Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:55 am by DECIMA

» Cristiano Ronaldo statue
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:08 pm by Veejay

» Federer Definitely Has Stocholm Syndrome!
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:15 am by Daniel

» Fight for #1
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:00 pm by Veejay

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Davis Cup 2017

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Davis Cup 2017

Post by Veejay on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:28 pm

@LK
just listening to mark petchy and john inverdale 
davis cup may be changing from best of 5 sets to best of 3 sets,the decision will be made in august in vietnam ( of all places??!! )
but petchy reckons that it wont make much of a difference drawing the bigger names to play the tournament
he thinks that they could still be put off wanting to play if they have to travel to a destination thats too inconvenient for the player plus the possibility of having to adjust to a different surface 
there was however talk about possibly having the event every second year or as 1 event played for a month straight rather then several weekends throughout the year like you mentioned before
but petchy thinks that the DC would still a tough sell without the big names in the game

the other conversation was about the junior players...it costs about a hundred grand a year to develop a juniors player!! thats way too much,theres no guarantee that a juniors player will make it as a pro..
when i lived back in s.a i knew a guy wayne whithouse who won juniors wimbledon in 1997 but never made it as a pro
he was however being sponsored

Veejay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:12 pm

Vee,

Interesting. I don't think Petchey is factoring in that the big names is not the biggest issue facing the competition. The very fact they are addressing the format says to me that not only will that be more attractive to the players, but the fans too.

I agree about the final being in a neutral venue not working. I don't think the DC quite has the profile to make that profitable and attractable to the fans. Plus the fans are not 'tribal' as such as compared with say football fans. Seats essentially would go to the nationals of said venue.

The junior player stat doesn't surprise me. One of the biggest criticisms thrown at the LTA was the amount of money they pumped into fledgling youngsters. On top of that the wildcards Wimbledon threw at waster UK players. For me they need to measure outcomes based on progress. There is a small window in which a promising junior has to be able to convert that promise into sustained talent. It's a lot of pressure to cope with.

legendkillar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:30 pm

well obviously they think that trying something new may help boost the popularity (or lack thereof)  of the event but we wont know how successful the changes will be until its tried and tested
i actually think that dedicating a month or maybe just 2 weeks straight to having the event from start to finish would be a better idea then having it every second year cause even if it were every second year,the players would still need to take the time out from their busy schedules 
i just dont understand why it costs so much to develop a young talent into a pro player
i recall that a gold medal winner at the 2012 london olympics cost almost £5million's worth of funding to make that happen 
other sports were even more expensive 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/datablog/2012/aug/13/olympics-2012-cost-per-medal-team-gb-funding

Veejay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top