Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2) EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2) EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2) EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2) EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2) EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2)

3 posters

Go down

Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2) Empty Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2)

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:41 pm

...has come to Melbourne to present the trophy on Sunday. To the man that will only be one slam away from leveling his record:

"I was fatigued the last couple years. I feel like my last win at the U.S. Open was my last fuel in my tank. That's when I knew I was done.“Why wouldn't I?” Serve and volley on both serves. That's the only way I know how to play. People say it's harder to do it, the technology. But I think technology would have helped me out. If I used these racquets that Rafa is using, it's easier to serve, easier to volley. I could serve harder, longer. It would have been easier. So it all evens out. But I think serve-and-volley tennis, it would have been just fine today. I just think you need to know how to do it."

Asked to comment on Federer:

"Seems like he wants to play for another four or five years. The fact that he's able to keep it so fresh is impressive.
I still get in the gym. I work out a touch, I play a lot of golf.
The Rebound Ace court they had at that time was tough on my body, tough to serve and volley on.
I miss the game, but I don't miss the stress."

Last edited by noleisthebest on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2) Empty Re: Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2)

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:26 pm

I know this was not a "horrific blister" or "icerink fast courts" exciting stuff,  but I find Sampras's reply to my "Is S&V dead or alive?" thread below very interesting.

https://ourtennisforum.forumotion.co.uk/t516-is-sv-dead-or-alive

He says he'd do it both on 1st and 2nd serve.
Is he deluding himself or not?
Would he have won against Nadal today?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2) Empty Re: Poor Sampras...(Is S&V Dead Or Alive? Part 2)

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:48 pm

he lost 5 times in a row v Chang! I don't think he would have woin 2 points v Nadal....not with his nat gut strings, not SVing, not with his 85inc racquet and not with his then fitness.

Reaching the FO final just one could have maybe entertained the discussion....but he did not even reach the Fo and only reached the Semi once or twice.....

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:50 pm

Don't know if you saw this sentence, as I added that paragraph later, but he talks anout him playing with current technology!

"Why wouldn't I?” Serve and volley on both serves. That's the only way I know how to play. People say it's harder to do it, the technology. But I think technology would have helped me out. If I used these racquets that Rafa is using, it's easier to serve, easier to volley. I could serve harder, longer. It would have been easier"

I really can't imagine Sampras doing it. Never on these slow courts.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:55 pm

I don't know why, but I have a feeling, Sampras is extremely vain and cannot recover from Fed smashing all his records.
I think he said all this S&V stuff just to spite Federer.
I even think he'd be happy for Nadal to overtake Fed in the slam count.

The only thing he hasn't said is that Nadal is the best volleyer.....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:58 pm

I think Sampras simply underestimates just how bad things have gotten in tennis.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:01 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Don't know if you saw this sentence, as I added that paragraph later, but he talks anout him playing with current technology!

"Why wouldn't I?” Serve and volley on both serves. That's the only way I know how to play. People say it's harder to do it, the technology. But I think technology would have helped me out. If I used these racquets that Rafa is using, it's easier to serve, easier to volley. I could serve harder, longer. It would have been easier"

I really can't imagine Sampras doing it. Never on these slow courts.

That is what kidding me! Those guys win 14 slams....but have no clue! In fact I think he would get beaten by an in form Llodra. Look who he lost to in his career....just journeymen.....and when they slowed Wimbledon, he lost to Basle!!!! It does not matter how many slams you have won....it does not make you a good analyst of the game! Toni never won anything but he knows how to make a champion! And he did not tell him to go to the net!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:09 pm

Every time I think of Sampras in today's conditions I imagine Berrer!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:16 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Every time I think of Sampras in today's conditions I imagine Berrer!
Pretty accurate description!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:18 pm

http://www.petesampras.com/sampras2.html

Click on Sampras slam and look at who he was losing sets in a superfast surface!! Nowadays on slow?  Laugh 

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Says "site under construction" when I click on it!
Will try on the desktop later.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:29 pm

strange....the link works well for me.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down