Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Wimbledon - Wimbledon 2012 Draw EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Wimbledon - Wimbledon 2012 Draw EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Wimbledon - Wimbledon 2012 Draw EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Wimbledon - Wimbledon 2012 Draw EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Wimbledon - Wimbledon 2012 Draw EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Wimbledon - Wimbledon 2012 Draw EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Wimbledon - Wimbledon 2012 Draw EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Wimbledon - Wimbledon 2012 Draw EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Wimbledon - Wimbledon 2012 Draw EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Wimbledon 2012 Draw

5 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Wimbledon - Wimbledon 2012 Draw Empty Wimbledon 2012 Draw

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:03 am

It should come out today....this morning even I suspect.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Wimbledon 2012 Draw Empty Re: Wimbledon 2012 Draw

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:10 am

Novak Djokovic gets Roger Federer in his half. As per usual, but they've never played at Wimby. Murray-Nadal on the other side.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:11 am

Men's quarters: Djokovic-Berdych, Tipsarevic-Federer, Ferrer-Murray, Tsonga-Nadal. #Wimbledon

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:18 am

Last edited by noleisthebest on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:05 am

Yep...though as mentioned on teh other board, it might just be luck this time. We will never know.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:23 am

Last edited by noleisthebest on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:05 pm

but I can tell you that they did up the level to the pro standard for a game or two; Murray really did let his forehand rip a couple of times like I have never seen him before: flat with tons of pace (and I mean TONS) down the line,

---------------------------------

I have seen it before. They all can do it, even Murray. It's doing it when it matters which is difficult. Not in an exho with no fear at all.

Same here, I'd like to see him take on Nadal but I doubt he'll get there.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:09 pm

For once, or at least in a long time, Fed gets a decent draw... no real floaters that can bother him on grass (on paper) until the quarters. I actually think we'll see Isner instead of Tipsy in Quarters, but if Fed is there to meet him, Fed should be at least in decent form.......... So- finally- Fed v Djokovic on grass- with the #1 ranking on the line!!

Murray got the draw I wish Nadal had gotten. Hard to see Murray making it through.

I wish Raonic would have been in Nadals half and some other big hitters, but he does have some early round floaters that could trouble him. If he gets to the final this year, I won't use the "easiest draw" reasoning.

Djoko/Fed half starts monday?

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Last edited by noleisthebest on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:03 pm

TimRuffin wrote:Murray got the draw I wish Nadal had gotten. Hard to see Murray making it through.

Same here! But that will never happen will it?

but he does have some early round floaters that could trouble him. If he gets to the final this year, I won't use the "easiest draw" reasoning.

I think it's pretty easy actually. The only one as a real threat is Tsonga but guess what he broke his fingers last week! Who do you think are those floaters?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:20 pm

Haas/Kol are both good grass courters and Nadal is vulnerable early, but yeah- looking at it again- he should cruise to Quarters.. For some reason, I thought Delpo was in his quarter too.......

Lets' face it though... the big 3-- they should cruise to quarters no matter what- given the way things play out tourny after tourny..

So at least Nadal has some tough potential quarters/semis.. Delpo could be there in the semis.

I thought the Tsonga finger injury was a scare and turned out to be okay? Guess that is Nadals luck then.

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:39 pm

I believe Federer has ben injured (a serious niggle for sure, his back?) since Madrid. He has played poorly since.

I would be surprised if he were to reach the semi this year again.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Tenez wrote:I believe Federer has ben injured (a serious niggle for sure, his back?) since Madrid. He has played poorly since.

I would be surprised if he were to reach the semi this year again.

The hip is my guess- which caused some of the lateral movement deficiencies we saw. although Fed has been saying he's 100%- as late as practice before the Halle final-- fans on his website who observe his practices were saying he was favoring movement to his right, and was "grumpier" than usual.

I have suffered from back issues for years, and it can flair up in a second.. As a matter of fact, for past six months I have felt great, was sitting in my office chair last week- felt a stabbing pain- didn't think anything of it... a few hours later I'm in bed and was in great pain for days...... It happens that quick and for no reason. So for sure- with back- you never know when it will act up.

I actually mentioned this on his website in response to some pictures fans posted of him being interviewed a day or so ago on the grass while sitting in a chair. He was sitting slightly slumped over, with his back slouched and his behind kind of in the center of the chair-- the classic bad posture in a chair technique. I've noticed he always sits like that- which is bizarre to me- becasue as a back pain sufferer- that's the worst way to sit. It damages the discs. The strange thing is it actually feels the best- even when in pain- it takes pressure off nerves.... so if u are having back pain- sometimes you forget and sit like that.......... Either way- shocking to me that his physio,doctors haven't corrected that posture..

If Fed could make it to semis at French off form- I would be surprised if he can't do it here. We'll know soon enough how he is going to fare. If he doesn't cruise in early rounds, it will be inevitable someone will take him out later.

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by CommonSense Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:17 pm

If that's true, Madrid turned out to be a curse. He paid a huge price for that trophy. Such a shame to be carrying an injury during the most important part of the year for him. Sad

CommonSense

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Interesting reading Tim. I have been trying to mention this to another website and of course they coudl not see anything and thought I was trying to find excuses. I visually noticed his drop of mobility in the FO second round v Ungur (before he lost the 3rd set) and since then all his results have confirmed something was wrong.

It's a real shame and was surprised he played Halle but I think he decided to play through the pain cause sometimes that coudl be the best way to reinforce the back.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:47 pm

CommonSense wrote:If that's true, Madrid turned out to be a curse. He paid a huge price for that trophy. Such a shame to be carrying an injury during the most important part of the year for him. Sad

I agree- how horribly ironic if Nadal and Djoko were blessed to lose early in Madrid and Federer ended up hurting himself. I beleive Djoko said something to that effect- no one was going to leave that tournament uninjured if they played long enough.

Fed said in an interview before clay that his biggest concern was coming into Wimby/Olympics physically beat up.. I thought some of his demeanor at the French was partly that... he had no conviction he would beat Nadal in a final so mentaly he might have felt like he was just beating himself up for no reason when his bigger goals were right around the corner.... but the champion in him forced him to keep putting forthe effort to win.

I think we'll see if he's feeling okay early. I could see something was wrong immediatly in 2010. It will show.

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:53 pm

When I saw that first Wimby 2010 round match, I went back to watch the Halle 2010 final v Hewitt on youtube. And there you can see Federer losing his footwork in that second set (most likely a groin injury). He was playing superbly before that second set. Such a shame!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:11 pm

yep, I had a real battle on bleacher report with some Nadal nuts about that year at Wimbledon. His upper leg was strapped (when does Fed ever do that?!) for his early round matches.. What was also conveniently ignored by those jerks was in the USA prematch show before the Berdcyh match.. Darrin Cahill was breaking down the match and predicted that Berdych was going to beat Federer. Mary Jo Fernandez who is married to Fed's agent and very close to the family/insider- says "normally, I'd disagree with you but Roger has been dealing with a leg injury and recently a VERY BAD BACK. I think it will be close, but Berdych might win a close match" This is on national television BEFORE the match.......... but when Fed brought up the issues afteward, these nuts all pretended he pulled out out of thin air......... anyway- sorry to rant, but I know for a fact- Federer was clearly injured that year.

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:12 pm

I read Kohlschreiber had to pull out of Eastbourne with injury... already potetial good grass courters for Nadal to meet are dropping away. I never understand why the quality players in his quarter always seem to have some misfortune or get upset before they meet him!! tennisgods are a funny lot.

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:43 pm

TimRuffin wrote:I read Kohlschreiber had to pull out of Eastbourne with injury... already potetial good grass courters for Nadal to meet are dropping away. I never understand why the quality players in his quarter always seem to have some misfortune or get upset before they meet him!! tennisgods are a funny lot.

Always the case. As soon as he gets a decent opponent, he falls apart before the match!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Tenez wrote:
TimRuffin wrote:I read Kohlschreiber had to pull out of Eastbourne with injury... already potetial good grass courters for Nadal to meet are dropping away. I never understand why the quality players in his quarter always seem to have some misfortune or get upset before they meet him!! tennisgods are a funny lot.

Always the case. As soon as he gets a decent opponent, he falls apart before the match!

I know-- really.. am I just being a biased fan- or is that not the case? The guy just gets the breaks...

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by CommonSense Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:17 pm

TimRuffin wrote:
CommonSense wrote:If that's true, Madrid turned out to be a curse. He paid a huge price for that trophy. Such a shame to be carrying an injury during the most important part of the year for him. Sad

I agree- how horribly ironic if Nadal and Djoko were blessed to lose early in Madrid and Federer ended up hurting himself. I beleive Djoko said something to that effect- no one was going to leave that tournament uninjured if they played long enough.

Fed said in an interview before clay that his biggest concern was coming into Wimby/Olympics physically beat up.. I thought some of his demeanor at the French was partly that... he had no conviction he would beat Nadal in a final so mentaly he might have felt like he was just beating himself up for no reason when his bigger goals were right around the corner.... but the champion in him forced him to keep putting forthe effort to win.

I think we'll see if he's feeling okay early. I could see something was wrong immediatly in 2010. It will show.

Yes, ironic indeed.
Thing with his condition is that we may see no telling sign early. He could be cruising all the way til the semi or final and then flops unexpectedly. Wasn't that what happened in Halle? Many thought he'd lose to Raonic and yet he triumphed and then went on for an easy win the next round. He actually still looked pretty good at the beginning of the Haas match with that early break. All credits to Haas for playing an exceptional game for his age and i'm tempted to say he caught Fed off guard. But that doesn't sound right bc Haas just beat a very competent defending champ in straights. Fed must have known it wouldn't be a walk in the park. So I'm still mystified and very saddened by the loss. I think it's more than his injury.

CommonSense

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:25 pm

CommonSense wrote:
TimRuffin wrote:

Yes, ironic indeed.
Thing with his condition is that we may see no telling sign early. He could be cruising all the way til the semi or final and then flops unexpectedly. Wasn't that what happened in Halle? Many thought he'd lose to Raonic and yet he triumphed and then went on for an easy win the next round. He actually still looked pretty good at the beginning of the Haas match with that early break. All credits to Haas for playing an exceptional game for his age and i'm tempted to say he caught Fed off guard. But that doesn't sound right bc Haas just beat a very competent defending champ in straights. Fed must have known it wouldn't be a walk in the park. So I'm still mystified and very saddened by the loss. I think it's more than his injury.

I thought he moved better in Halle, but there were still issues covering the lines laterly. I just think he's so good on grass in other ways- that he can still beat those guys even if gimpy. His serve also went up and down.

He's practicing alot at Wimby though- so maybe he is feeling good.. He played Raonic yesterday and Wawrinka today. there is a great picture of him on a practice court and Nadal is on the court next to him and bending down.. Fed is swinging his racquet and from the angle of the picture it looks like Federer is spanking Nadal with his racquet!! lol....

I tried to post it here but it says no links for 7 days or soemthing.

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:26 pm

On 606-- Socal is having an absolute fit over Djokovics draw and it beign rigged-- threatening to boycott watching the tournament,etc.. lol

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:45 pm

The draw looks pretty straight forward,as expected Fed/Djokovic on course to meet in the semi final and Nadal/Maurray on course
Isner is the only serious threat in Rogers quarter,other then that I think Feds quarter final streak looks safe to me

Last edited by Veejay on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:48 pm

TimRuffin wrote:On 606-- Socal is having an absolute fit over Djokovics draw and it beign rigged-- threatening to boycott watching the tournament,etc.. lol

LMAO!!! Big Grin Big Grin
I don't think Djokovics quarter looks tough,he can handle any one of those players in his sleep
Plus look at how he kept beating the odds at RG

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:58 pm

TimRuffin wrote:On 606-- Socal is having an absolute fit over Djokovics draw and it beign rigged-- threatening to boycott watching the tournament,etc.. lol
Big Grin 🤡

Socal really makes me laugh. I was hardly ever in agreement with him but he is still a good poster to discuss with.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:59 pm

I think it's more than his injury

=========================

What is worse or more than an injury CS?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:04 pm

We should get Socal to join this forum...I loved winding him up..
He probably blames Federer fans for Djokovic draw..as he once claimed they are the greatest evil in tennis Big Grin

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:44 pm

Tenez wrote:
Big Grin 🤡

Socal really makes me laugh. I was hardly ever in agreement with him but he is still a good poster to discuss with.

Yeah- he's really going beserk-- mostly how Djokovic has to beat Federer and Nadal constantly to win.......... I'm thinking.. how about a 30/31 year old Federer having to beat inprime Djokovic and Nadal to win?........who's got it worst?

so Gav lets him post anythign he wants about how evil Federer fans are,etc... but bans you becasue you were making Nadal fans "uncomfortable" by telling the truth? lol... hypocricy

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Veejay wrote:We should get Socal to join this forum...I loved winding him up..
He probably blames Federer fans for Djokovic draw..as he once claimed they are the greatest evil in tennis Big Grin

Fed fans are the worst aren't we? lol

btw-- some great interviews coming out from James Black, Henman about what a true nice guy Fed is and how they view him as the GOAT... Good stuff...

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:55 pm

TimRuffin wrote:

Fed fans are the worst aren't we? lol

btw-- some great interviews coming out from James Black, Henman about what a true nice guy Fed is and how they view him as the GOAT... Good stuff...

Post them here Cheers Cheers

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by CommonSense Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Tenez, not necessarily worse. Perhaps just a bad combo of existing injury together with a massive mental collapse that led to a most unexpected loss.

Assuming that he's still carrying an injury according to the visual evidence you and Tim both witnessed, how come he was able to rise above Raonic in a very tight 3 setter but caved in so easily to Haas? Did Haas played SO much tougher than Raonic that caused the injury to flare up more? I was only able to watch the 1st set. It was a straights loss. Did he try as hard as he did playing Roanic?

I'm speculating a sudden and devastating loss of confidence. Is this worse than the injury? I don't know. I think confidence is like magic. Depending on the severity of the injury. You could still win full of confidence even when injured; but it's far harder to win without confidence even when you're not injured. Does that make sense? :lol:

CommonSense

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:14 pm

I couldn't post link.. but here is James Blake interview on Federer..

You've played 11 times in your career, is there a match you remember most?

It is clear that my best memory is my only victory against Roger. I had played a great match, in a great stadium, the Olympic Games ... He had beaten me so many times before, it was great to finally win when he took this competition very seriously and he was the favorite for the gold medal. I was very proud at the end. There are also other games that come to mind. The final of the Masters Cup in 2006. I played great all week, beat Davydenko, Nadal, Nalbandian ... When I reach that level, I feel I can beat anyone. But Roger showed me he was still one floor above. He played even better, it was incredible. The same year, when we played at the U.S. Open, I took a set. Then we played two very tight sets, where I got a chance to break. Yes, I felt really good on the court that day. I really thought I had the chance to win this encounter. In addition, I thought it was perhaps the last time I would have a chance to win a Grand Slam title. Finally, he beats me, then he wins the tournament ... Here, I tell myself he's the best player of all time.

You were using a specific strategy against him?

Facing him, everyone adopts the same strategy. We try our best to avoid his forehand which is his strong point. We try to stress his backhand ... But hey, he moves so well, it's hard to say that he has weaknesses. It was not simple, because he has the same type of game. Everyone is trying to control the exchange with our forehand, one is aggressive. On the other hand, he had a much more effective backhand. And much better footwork.

He really had no weaknesses?

Not really ... It is certain that his backhand was weaker than the forehand, but the difference was minimal. He had to work more on this, but I would not call it weak either. Again, he moves so well that it allows him to shift to his forehand.

And you remember your first match against him? In 2003? Did you already have the impression of seeing a different player in front of you?

Yes, I remember very well, it was also at the U.S. Open. I was surprised by this defeat (victory of Roger 6-3 7-6 (4) 6-3), because I played very good tennis at that time. I remember the tournament well because I was also very impressed by Nalbandian (Federer and Nalbandian played in the rounds before the quarter finals with a win for the Argentinian in four sets ). Very quickly, I saw in Roger a player who was going to become a star.

It was not frustrating to lose so many times against him?

If it's super frustrating, but, on the other hand, he plays so well that he pushes you to get better. He pushes you to work harder on lots of aspects of your game. You progress from week to week, you feel you can beat the best, then you end up facing him and he is always there, as strong. Inevitably, it challenges you and it makes you reflect on what you have to work on, to improve, to attain a higher level. It's always good to compete with the best and it is especially rewarding to get to beat them at least once. Defeats frustrating, but hey, what's the point of getting upset, to be frustrated ... He is so strong and he's really a great guy!

He is your favorite opponent?

(Laughter) No, because I like winning too. To play him so many times and lose so much, it's really hard to bear. My favorite opponent is the one I could beat occasionally. Afterwards, he remains my favorite opponent in the locker room. It is super good. He's really a great guy, who pays attention to others, kind and who is involved in the sport.

And indeed, in the locker room, how is he? He is one of your friends?

Yes, he's a great guy, cannot be more relaxed than him! It's impressive, he is super friendly. It is the attitude that I like to have too, when I am off the court. We had the opportunity to play several exhibition matches both, in Asia, in particular, and we took the opportunity to spend time together, talk, play tennis, to laugh, have fun .. He is undoubtedly a great ambassador for tennis.

Without Federer, you think you would have won more titles?

Oh yes, sure! I would have won more, but like many others I imagine. He won so many trophies and he would have earned even more if he had not lost against Nadal! After, it was often played in the finals twice in Masters 1000, Masters Cup once, not counting the matches in Grand Slam ... Yes, I think I would have a thicker track record. I even think I could have won a Grand Slam. But think about it, it is useless. To get excited, it's not the thing to do, it's not my style. I'm mostly happy with what I did and very proud of what I accomplished.

What impresses you most about him?

Be number one for so long, have the objectives he has, to fulfill them and keep this momentum for so many years ... This is awesome! I think psychologically it is very, very hard, getting up, going out to play every day in training, while keeping the same winning mentality. And see him play at this level at 30 years and still win, it's incredible. He is always so excited to win tournaments, the Masters 1000 and is still able to evolve at this level, with the same pressure.

You think he has changed tennis?

Each player, who was above the others, who have set the bar a little higher, changed tennis in his own way. Roger is one of them. He placed the bar very, very, very high, especially with the huge number of records in Grand Slams. He also changed tennis in the sense that he made it advance. Tennis requires a lot more effort than a decade ago and that's how it's going to continue in the next ten years. Players are faster, tougher, more powerful. The technique has improved. Federer was at the beginning of this new era of tennis. That's why it's unfair to compare it with Sampras, Agassi, Connors or Laver. The game is changing and he is part of this change.

He created new moves?

I do not know ... If he did, it means he is perfect. I think he has especially improved the shots of others. I think he managed to combine what is Agassi, solid behind his baseline, adding better footwork. He moves so well that it allows him to have a step ahead of his opponents. I do not think he created shots, he has especially improved them.

How do you explain he is still so strong?

It is especially a big mental strength. Many players in his position would have been tired and weary of what they do. But, he still loves what he does. He loves his sport. It's amazing, his talent and hard work never seem to run out and still work as hard as ever.

Roger has played a lot without a coach. How is it possible to win so much nevertheless?

Yes, it is quite surprising. I think a lot of players at the end of their careers, work on the circuit without a real coach. They are nearing the end, they need other things, they know the trick, its workings ... Having a coach is no longer as important or as vital as before. But Roger did it early, while he was at the top of his career. In my view, he knows so much tennis, he is so well prepared that he is able to do it alone.

How would you describe him? A monster, a genius, a magician?

A bit of everything! A monster, yes. But what he does on the court is genius. Frankly.

Between 2003 and 2008, you saw him grow?

He mostly played progressively more intelligently. He always had the talented backhand, but improved it from 2003. But you can imagine, I say he progressed when in 2003 he was already almost number one! It really shows how the game has progressed.

Do you have any anecdotes about him?

When I had problems in the neck, I was in the hospital in Rome, I received only one email from a player to get news. "Hi! I hope you are well and that you will recover quickly all your strength! "It was Roger.

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:16 pm

According to Tim Henman, a few rain showers could help Roger Federer notch up a record-equalling seventh appearance on the honours board.

This theory revolves around the fact that Federer stands unchallenged as the master of indoor courts, as he proved last winter by romping to back-to-back titles in Paris and London.

“If the Centre Court roof comes over,” Henman says, “you will be talking about the world’s first indoor grand slam.”

As a long-time friend and admirer of Federer, Henman finds it bewildering that so many pundits and commentators are prepared to write off the greatest winning machine the game has seen. Particularly at Wimbledon, where Federer’s tally of six championships leaves him one short of Pete Sampras’s magnificent seven.

“If he wins another grand slam – and I believe he will – then I would expect him to do it at Wimbledon or the US Open,” Henman said.

“The surface in New York is actually faster, but the nature of the movement on a grass court means it is a difficult place to defend. Federer doesn’t really do much defending because his style is so aggressive.

“We saw him lose to Novak Djokovic in Paris in very unhelpful, windy conditions, which suited Djokovic’s attritional approach. You have to play with a far greater margin for error when it’s windy.

"You can’t aim as close to the lines. Certainly on a clay court with a slightly irregular bounce you can’t take the ball so early.

“But I’d like to see Roger play Novak under the Wimbledon roof. I think that might produce a different result, because right now, he is the best indoor player in the world.”

Henman has always had a strong relationship with Federer, stretching back to the year when they met in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon in 2001.

Henman won that match in four sets, and at one point in 2004 he had a record of six wins from seven head-to-head encounters (though Federer would eventually reclaim the lead in the series).

Even since Henman’s retirement in 2007, their bond has endured. And it has also proved profitable for Paul Annacone, the American coach who has worked with both of them. It was Henman’s recommendation to Federer that earned Annacone one of the most sought-after jobs in tennis.

Henman still keeps in touch with his old friends and assured Telegraph Sport that Federer has never been in better shape to add to his vast collection of silverware.

“I would bet that 99 per cent of the players want to be playing at Roger’s level right now,” he said. “So why are so many people writing him off?

“The challenge for Roger right now is obviously Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, two of the greatest players of all time, but what a great challenge to have. I actually think that Roger’s best level now is higher than it was when he was winning everything in sight; it’s just that everyone else has improved too.

“Let’s go back to last year’s US Open. He had match point against Djokovic, and Djokovic hit a one-in-a-hundred shot. If you move forward from that, in the last nine months he has won seven tournaments. He’s 30 years old, but he’s in phenomenal shape. His hunger and desire are as great as anyone’s.

Andre Agassi made the final of the US Open at 35, and he was nothing like as natural an athlete as Roger.

“We’re very good in focusing — certainly in this country — on what we haven’t got. With someone like Federer, goodness, let’s try and keep him around for as long as possible. He’s the best player that’s ever lived, so let’s enjoy him while he’s here.”

The question of how long Federer will go on for has diverted plenty of tennis insiders, but the truth is that no one really knows. Possibly not even Federer himself.

At some point, he will presumably find that diminishing returns kick in. But for a man who stands well clear of Andy Murray at No 3 in the world, that day must still be some way off.

“I think Roger appreciates how lucky it is and the opportunity he’s got,” Henman said, “and he wants to make the most of it. I stopped at exactly the right time.

"I was 33 and was struggling with different aspects, especially as we had just had our third child. But the reality is that there’s plenty of time to be retired.

While you’re an athlete playing at the highest level you want to make the most of it.” And we who follow the game should make the most of Federer too. To paraphrase George Orwell, all players are unique, but some are more unique than others.

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Yes I remember that one! With the big nazi word! :roll:

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Heman makes a lot of sense here but he is not taking into account Federer's current form.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, I recognise this forum is pretty quite for now.

May i invite you to join JA606 as there are some very good posters who left v2 for JA after the Gav "fiasco". For those who have known 606 (the original one) they will feel at home!

www ja606.co.uk/articles/browseByTag/Tennis/1/MRU

I tricked the link so yuo need to add a dot cause of the 7 days rule.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:50 am

Tenez wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, I recognise this forum is pretty quite for now.

May i invite you to join JA606 as there are some very good posters who left v2 for JA after the Gav "fiasco". For those who have known 606 (the original one) they will feel at home!

www ja606.co.uk/articles/browseByTag/Tennis/1/MRU

I tricked the link so yuo need to add a dot cause of the 7 days rule.

Thanks for the link Tenez,I cant seem to sign up,every time I do it says enter a valid birth date
Ive tried every possible way of writing my birth date ,what am I doing wrong?

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Last edited by noleisthebest on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:25 pm

noleisthebest wrote:"what am I doing wrong?"

tell the how old you really are! Winking

LOL
I managed to sign up and even activate the account but once I tried to make a comment I was immediately signed out and since then I cant sign back in again
Who is that muppet you're having an argument with,the one who is saying Nadals game is the greatest he has ever seen..
Shoulda gone to specsavers!

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:32 pm

LOL! Some are so funny...but again has to be a Nadal fan.

But I don;t mind those as much. It's those who really bent facts systematically to support their points.

I don;t think I have known someone as cunning in that respect as Lydian from V2.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:39 pm

Tenez wrote:LOL! Some are so funny...but again has to be a Nadal fan.

But I don;t mind those as much. It's those who really bent facts systematically to support their points.

I don;t think I have known someone as cunning in that respect as Lydian from V2.

weak-minded is a better word, Tenez. I am convinced it's a woman. Just cannot imagine anyone to be fervent Nadal fan and a man at the same time Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:40 pm

Yeah Lydian is quite crafty,but she should never argue with me when I brought the poor sportsmanship stuff up
That usually shuts every Nadal fan up,even Amiritia or whatever his name was

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:42 pm

noleisthebest wrote:

weak-minded is a better word, Tenez. I am convinced it's a woman. Just cannot imagine anyone to be fervent Nadal fan and a man at the same time Winking

LMAO..I guess thats why Amiritia made such big things about him being Nadal fan and being heterosexual! Big Grin

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:42 pm

noleisthebest wrote:

I really thought she was too but he denied it many times.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Last edited by noleisthebest on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Veejay wrote:Yeah Lydian is quite crafty,but she should never argue with me when I brought the poor sportsmanship stuff up
That usually shuts every Nadal fan up,even Amiritia or whatever his name was

Veejay - I shut Lydian up at every single occasion too and that is the reason he left (or threatened to ) V2 (and 606 before that) 3 or 4 times and in turn that's the reason why Gav banned me....and probably you too. Lydian was Gav's protege cause he thought Lydian was a balanced and knowledgeable poster however badly he kept losing his arguments. It was the last blow when even Nadal admitted his extra time taking was the consequence of his style and not OCDs.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by CommonSense Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:56 pm

As far as I'm concerned both Amritia and lydian are female.

Tenez, I gather Gav must be a rabid nadal fan? I notice rafa fans are out en force everywhere. They really assume nadal is going to win W.

Veejay, so what's the deal at ja606? Can you post there?

CommonSense

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:06 pm

CommonSense wrote:As far as I'm concerned both Amritia and lydian are female.

Well if he says he is not then he must have a strong anima in him ( A Jungian term)! .

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next