Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Win or Lose what are your top 5? EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Win or Lose what are your top 5? EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Win or Lose what are your top 5? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Win or Lose what are your top 5? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Win or Lose what are your top 5? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Win or Lose what are your top 5? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Win or Lose what are your top 5? EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Win or Lose what are your top 5? EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Win or Lose what are your top 5? EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Win or Lose what are your top 5?

+2
noleisthebest
Tenez
6 posters

Go down

Win or Lose what are your top 5? Empty Win or Lose what are your top 5?

Post by Tenez Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:03 pm

What are the results you appreciate most:

1 - a Federer win

2 - a Nadal loss (it's probably my first choice nowadays)

3 - a Murray loss

4 - a Djoko loss

5 - A Davydenko win

Sadly 3 of my top 5 are players losses. It's essentially because those 3 are suffocating the rest of the field.

Last edited by Tenez on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Win or Lose what are your top 5? Empty Re: Win or Lose what are your top 5?

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:13 pm

oooh, tough one, really tough!
Same as you when it comes to Nadal. As a woman, I will have to replace "appreciation" with raw emotion:

1) Nole win
2) Nadal loss
3) Paire win
4) Murray loss
5) Federer win

interestingly, when I consider the opposite feeling (the "I can't stand it" one) I get this:

1) Nadal's wins (esp over Nole & Federer) & trophy biting
2) Nole losses to Nadal and Murray
3) Fed's losses to Nadal in particular, also Murray
4) Murray's USO win
5) Players losing to Nadal because of choking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:24 pm

5) Players losing to Nadal because of choking

=================================

What's so bizarre is that 95% of those very close set, cose matches falls on Nadal's side. It'slike the tennis gods are punishing us for disliking Nadal.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:30 pm

Tenez wrote:5) Players losing to Nadal because of choking

=================================

What's so bizarre is that 95% of those very close set, cose matches falls on Nadal's side. It'slike the tennis gods are punishing us for disliking Nadal.

I can't help it!
I have had a very strong dislike from day one. No other player has ever come close to it.
Equally, I'll die not being able to understand how anyone could choose him as their favourite with all the other players around ( unless they are Spanish).
I really feel sorry for every player who has lost to him in one of those close matches. It must leave some bad scars.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:30 pm

1 Nadal retires
2 Fed wins
3 Nadal loses
4 Murray loses
5 Djokovic beats Nadal

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Veejay wrote:1 Nadal retires
2 Fed wins
3 Nadal loses
4 Murray loses
5 Djokovic beats Nadal

LOL!

I woudl certainly not like to see Nadal retire and get away with all those positive stats. The second part of your career is much tougher for those kind of guys and I want to see him lose many times.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:35 pm

I remember last years Wimbledon i was jumping and fistpumping during the Nadal-Rosol match, i really got into that match. A week later when Fed beat Djoko it was kinda odd, i really thought Djoko would be harder to beat but when he did beat Djoko i wasn't ecstatic more surprised actually (giving his dodgy back). When Fed beat Murray a few days later it felt.. logical! And it was more a relief he finally took the top position again. So at the end of that Wimbledon edition the Rosol win was the biggest joy, Federer winning Wimbledon was very satisfactorily but did not led to an outburst of joy.

1. Nadal losing (preferably getting one-two punched thoughout the match, his matches against Djoko are quite annoying, even though i really love it when Djoko wins)

2. A clean straight set win form Fed at a big stage. Now i think about it, this probably beats a Nadal loss.

Really hard to pick the next ones... I guess this year the best moments for me were:
Stan against Djoko first set at the AO and Delpo at indian wells.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:40 am

gallery play wrote:I remember last years Wimbledon i was jumping and fistpumping during the Nadal-Rosol match, i really got into that match. A week later when Fed beat Djoko it was kinda odd, i really thought Djoko would be harder to beat but when he did beat Djoko i wasn't ecstatic more surprised actually (giving his dodgy back). When Fed beat Murray a few days later it felt.. logical! And it was more a relief he finally took the top position again. So at the end of that Wimbledon edition the Rosol win was the biggest joy, Federer winning Wimbledon was very satisfactorily but did not led to an outburst of joy.

Exactly the same here. However I can say Nadal's loss was more of an intense momentaneous pleasure. Federer's win was a nicer, guilt-free, long term joy, placing him at last with the 7 wimbers...even if less intense than Nadal's loss at the time.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:52 am

It really is such a strange phenomenon how we all get this intense satisfaction from something basically negative, but I suppose in a small way all that symbolises a tiny victory over things or values we don't support, which explains why we are all so sensitive and jumpy over doping in sport, whereas thousands of worse things happen around us every day and we are never so vehement about them.

As if sport is the last bastion of "hope", childlike world of play where everything is lovely and enjoyable. If only!!!

I really don't know how else to explain the thrill of watching Rosol pound those serves and forehands, that really was sheer delirium. Better than Sod's win in RG.

Must be because Nadal looked really desperate to win, so it was sweeter to see him lose.

And if only we knew he was going to take 7 months off, it would have been even better!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:36 am

I'd say it's simply supporting the virtue of taking one's destinity over one's own hand. Whereas for the retrievers, the negative thoughts are on every point! they beg for their opponent to miss, which is not a very honorable thought. And this is why the crowd almost always ends up supporting the attacking player.

The attacking player plays on his own terms without, in principle, caring who is on the other side. He is not wanting his opponent to miss, he simply doesn;t want to give him the ball. If you looked in the 90s, there was much less negative tennis at the top. It was about who had the better serve, better volley, or returns...and who could deliver those under pressure....while now the retrievers thrive under pressure cause there is no added pressure for them...their margins are still good enough.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:58 am

Yes, that's true and interesting, and universally applies to all sports.

Who will support Italy over Brazil in football, or why were the best footballers always scoring goals, not goalkeeping?

Still, I don't mind seeing good counter-punching in tennis, if it's done stylishly and a player is coordinated and moves well.

It could be interesting to find out why players choose the style they play: obviously talent is the biggest factor, the phsical predispositions, and the character of a player.
In most cases it's obvious, but not always, and that's what' s fascinating.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:00 am

Yes, retrievers plays a great part in tennis.....problem is when we do everything for them to succeed.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:03 am

Yes, that's terrible, or as someone once famously said: Death of tennis Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:12 am

Just look at with how much heart little Berankis plays and then you see someone like Granolers lumbering about fifty places above him in the rankings...or Almagro glued to the baseline treating the inside of the court as a minefield.

I suppose despite being pros, players must all enjoy playing to some extent, esp when they play well and must take some pride in how they do it.

I would really like to know what they prefer, eg Gulbis vs Nadal, I know Gulbis said he'd rather win ugly than play good tennis, but I don' t believe him.

He is a perfect example of someone who is non-compromising and persevering despite the relative lack of success (compared to his ability), and that is admirable.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Here are my top 5 win/loss scenarios for Wimbledon 2013:

1) Nadal loses in 1st round
2) Nadal loses in 2nd round
3) Nadal loses in 3rd round
4) Nadal loses in 4th round
5) Nadal loses in 5th round

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:27 pm

The fifth round is normally called the quarter final.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:10 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Here are my top 5 win/loss scenarios for Wimbledon 2013:

1) Nadal loses in 1st round
2) Nadal loses in 2nd round
3) Nadal loses in 3rd round
4) Nadal loses in 4th round
5) Nadal loses in 5th round

My Wimbledon dream wish has come true....now I can rest in peace and I don't mind who wins it, ABM, of course Winking

I am just so happy Nadal is out of competition, this Wimbledon is pure success from now on, it can't have started any better, I am happy and I know it!!!! Bubbly

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:43 pm

It's funny I just came back from the club and there was a 68yo gentleman very nice, a committee member who was saying how happy he was about Nadal's loss but because of that his wife and daughter were really angry at him. Even tonight he sheered like crazy about Nadal's loss.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:03 am

Tenez wrote:It's funny I just came back from the club and there was a 68yo gentleman very nice, a committee member who was saying how happy he was about Nadal's loss but because of that his wife and daughte were really angry at him. Even tonight he sheered like crazy about Nadal's loss.

Poor him.....I suppose it will be paella for him for breakfast lunch and dinner for the next few months...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:30 am

noleisthebest wrote:I am just so happy Nadal is out of competition, this Wimbledon is pure success from now on
Hehe.  I had similar thoughts today - just midway through the first day, and I already know this Wimbledon will have a happy ending.

Of course, it means that whatever common hopes we may have had for Nole's Wimbledon are history - Good Luck Mayer Winking.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down