Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Wimbledon - Wimbledon prediction game 4th round - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Wimbledon - Wimbledon prediction game 4th round - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Wimbledon - Wimbledon prediction game 4th round - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Wimbledon - Wimbledon prediction game 4th round - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Wimbledon - Wimbledon prediction game 4th round - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Wimbledon - Wimbledon prediction game 4th round - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Wimbledon - Wimbledon prediction game 4th round - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Wimbledon - Wimbledon prediction game 4th round - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Wimbledon - Wimbledon prediction game 4th round - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Wimbledon prediction game 4th round

+7
gallery play
Slippy
legendkillar
Tenez
naxroy
bogbrush
luvsports!
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Wimbledon - Wimbledon prediction game 4th round - Page 3 Empty Re: Wimbledon prediction game 4th round

Post by naxroy Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:49 pm

indeed

which describes why federer is even more favourite today than a week ago

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Wimbledon prediction game 4th round - Page 3 Empty Re: Wimbledon prediction game 4th round

Post by Slippy Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:15 am

So the centre court choices on Wednesday should be a no brainer surely:

Nadal v Del Potro (assuming he wins)
Djokovic v Nishikori

Any chance that the AELTC makes the right call?

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:14 am

Slippy wrote:So the centre court choices on Wednesday should be a no brainer surely:

Djokovic v Nishikori

The AELTC tend to put the paying public first - and CC holds the biggest crowd as well as the Royal Box.  Somebody who has a ticket for CC expects to see the biggest draw, which is Federer.  If I went on QF day with a ticket for CC but was told I'd watch the Nadal and Djokovic matches whilst No. 1 would have Federer I'd feel 100% short-changed, and I'd not be alone. 

Like Federer, Nadal has played every round on CC.

Players (and their supporters) who want things to be 'fair' need to appreciate that the players are providing entertainment to a paying public.  I'm not sure it's quite as obvious as you think.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:52 am

Tennis podcast did a flash poll of which match should be on Court 1. Only a few thousand votes I think but it was something like:

Fed v Anderson : 45% 
Djoko v Nishikori : 30%
Nadal v DP : 25%

I guess it heavily depends on whether you want to see a competitive match or not. So far this tournament, the losing players have won a total of three sets on centre court (from 22 matches). It’s fair to say the matches have been as one-sided as I can recall. It can’t be right that the flagship court just gets a bunch of glorified training sessions.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:10 am

barrystar wrote:
Slippy wrote:So the centre court choices on Wednesday should be a no brainer surely:

Djokovic v Nishikori

The AELTC tend to put the paying public first - and CC holds the biggest crowd as well as the Royal Box.  Somebody who has a ticket for CC expects to see the biggest draw, which is Federer.  If I went on QF day with a ticket for CC but was told I'd watch the Nadal and Djokovic matches whilst No. 1 would have Federer I'd feel 100% short-changed, and I'd not be alone. 

Like Federer, Nadal has played every round on CC.

Players (and their supporters) who want things to be 'fair' need to appreciate that the players are providing entertainment to a paying public.  I'm not sure it's quite as obvious as you think.
Quite. People pay their money and they want to see the players they want to see, which means Federer.

I think they might shove him over to Court 1 to show willing but I'm certain the people who paid the biggest ticket prices will be disappointed.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:12 am

Just stick Djokovic back on Court 1. He won't mind. CC will give him more stick no doubt if he appears.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 am

Slippy wrote:Tennis podcast did a flash poll of which match should be on Court 1. Only a few thousand votes I think but it was something like:

Fed v Anderson : 45% 
Djoko v Nishikori : 30%
Nadal v DP : 25%

I guess it heavily depends on whether you want to see a competitive match or not. So far this tournament, the losing players have won a total of three sets on centre court (from 22 matches). It’s fair to say the matches have been as one-sided as I can recall. It can’t be right that the flagship court just gets a bunch of glorified training sessions.

It's a fair point you make about competitiveness being part of the entertainment, and if the 'sum' of the two players in one match are more interesting than a genius trashing a nobody in the other there is added validity to the point - so I'd accept that you need to take DP (a former slam winner) and Nishikori into account.  I am also interested by the 'flash poll', although whether it chimes with your average Wimbledon visitor I don't know.  The reason why so many of the Show Court matches have been glorified training sessions is down to the lack of challengers to the best players generally, and the AELTC moved quickly to promote Monfils to the Show Courts when they realised that he is providing such sunshine as there is to what has been a very drab tournament so far.  The bottom line is that they cannot sensibly put Federer or Nadal on Court No. 2 at the moment - there would be bedlam at the ground, and disgruntlement on the show courts.

The QF is different, it's all show courts.  Ultimately there are three out of the four QF's (assuming DP gets through) that are obvious CC contenders involving past Champions - on paper I reckon that each is as likely as the other to be a one-sided affair.  I think I'd put Djkoko v. Nishikori on CC and it's a toss-up for the other match - DP's status as a former slam winner is not negligible, nor is Anderson's as USO RUP last year.  Were I at CC I'd want to see Federer, and I think most others would too.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:48 pm

it is simple:

djokovic has not played on CC as much as nadal or federer who played there all their matches, so djokovic will play on CC most likely.

federer is defending champion, most times champion and seed number 1 for wimbledon, so I have no doubt he will be on CC to

Nadal to play court 1 (and I am sure he is fine with that (grass is more damaged there)

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:54 pm

btw, I have a question

I know CC has roof, but is it posible to play at night? has it happened already?

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:43 pm

No lad.

Grass is a live surface and needs time to recover. 

Which is why it's pretty impressive the ground staff have kept the courts in such sterling condition given the heatwave the UK has experienced. My back garden looks like a wheat field!

Last edited by legendkillar on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:49 pm

I was in the resale ticket queue yesterday. Nadal was on centre vs Vesely, with Monfils and Anderson in the 4th set with Djokovic to come.
Tickets to see centre court were 10 times more popular, even when Nadal had won a set (so people preferred to see a 1/3rd completed Nadal match compared to last set of Monfils Anderson and all of Djokovic match).
In the queue speaking to them too, many Nadal fans and those who had come to see Rafa, a few Argentinians for Del Potro, barely any Djokovic. Tonnes of federer fans in general, but not so many in resale queue as he was first on centre court and his match was done before resale tickets are sold.

If they're doing it on popularity, it will be Federer vs Anderson, and then Nadal vs Del Potro. People care more about big names than competitive matches.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Shocking game from Simon to lose serve and leave DP serving for the match.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Slippy wrote:Shocking game from Simon to lose serve and leave DP serving for the match.
But two amazing points to break back

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:33 pm

so it is CC for nadal and djokovic and court 1 for federer

didnt expect that to be honest

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Also I dont understand why quarters of the same half arent played at the same time

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:46 pm

Good call by Wimbledon. Pleased to see that they’ve gone that way.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:33 pm

Slippy wrote:Good call by Wimbledon. Pleased to see that they’ve gone that way.

I agree vis-a-vis Djoko, otherwise I'm pleased I haven't got tickets for CC tomorrow - I'd feel short changed to have to go all the way there and not see the player I'd want to see.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:08 am

Good luck to Roger and Delpo tomorrow!

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:10 am

naxroy wrote:Also I dont understand why quarters of the same half arent played at the same time
Agree. It would be better that way.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3