Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies

5 posters

Go down

Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies Empty Re: Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies

Post by noleisthebest Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Hehe, this sounds like Tnz wrote it ...6 years ago. 

Good that you are bringing it to the masses, LS. Big Grin

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies Empty Re: Piece I wrote for Yahoo Sports UK on the golden oldies

Post by luvsports! Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Cheers. I've been working on another one for more than six months. Spoken to some really big names but don't have the contacts to land it!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:50 pm

Well done LS!!!! We are all proud of you here....bar Daniel maybe! Winking

NITB...My first real question about peak time was FO 2010....when I saw federer lose to Soderling. I thought he played better than in his previous FO....yet lost. I thought mmhh strange, even though the rain did help Sod, I thought Fed's timing was better than in his mid 20s.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:13 pm

Cheers T, thanks for ya help!

Yes, Daniel has many views on me. No chance he is proud :P

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:24 pm

luvsports! wrote:Cheers. I've been working on another one for more than six months. Spoken to some really big names but don't have the contacts to land it!
What’s that one about?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Stay tuned Winking

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:38 pm

Well done Luv, I will print this and go sound smart at local tennis club  Big Grin

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:03 am

Interesting notion for sure. I think 30 will only be considered the new 20 if they trend sustains itself. If you take the 70's when you had the likes of Rosewall making Slam finals at 38, a lot of that could be attributed to restricted competition (give most players didn't play a full calendar).

Fast forward 80's/90's when it seemed the norm that players were declining as early as mid 20's to late 20's and done by their early 30's. I believe players did play a lot of tennis as most events if not all were still BO5 before the rise of BO3 we see today.

When you consider Agassi's late career surge, it was somewhat unprecedented given it was a throwback to nearly 30 years prior. I would argue yes he was playing his best tennis at that late stage.

What we could be on the cusp of is a new trend in tennis. We don't know what the landscape will look like once Federer, Nadal and Djokovic bow out. Which is why this could be a unique era. Same even on the Women's side. Once the Williams toodle off.

I will say we have seen the odd spike which yielded less success. Look at Ferrero, played some of his best tennis when he had a late surge in form and fortune. As did Haas previously, Hewitt (once his body held up) was playing some better tennis than his early years. Roddick and even Karlovic. Played better in their latter years. I would say there is a stronger argument that players are evolving later in their careers. A point Tenez always drummed was equipment hasn't changed dramatically which essentially gives one element a player doesn't have to truly navigate to evolve more effectively.

Time will tell if this becomes the norm.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:13 am

Sampras said he played his best ever match/tournie at the US Open at the age of 31.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down