Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
worst tennis losses EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
worst tennis losses EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
worst tennis losses EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
worst tennis losses EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
worst tennis losses EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
worst tennis losses EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
worst tennis losses EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
worst tennis losses EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
worst tennis losses EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

worst tennis losses

+7
Daniel
summerblues
bogbrush
barrystar
Tenez
noleisthebest
gallery play
11 posters

Go down

worst tennis losses Empty worst tennis losses

Post by gallery play Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:27 pm

No sweet without the sour. Which tennis results hurt you the most?

(doesn't have to be about Federer)

Mine are:
1. W08, nuff said
2. AO09, all those missed bp's...
3. Rome 06. The one which made Raf feel like he could survive a H-bomb, and the one which made Roger feel his main rival could survive...a H-bomb. Very defining match, even though no slam. 

I've been watching tennis since the seventies but some losses really started to sting when Fed was involved. Even back in 2001 losing to Henman, it wasn't funny

gallery play

Back to top Go down

worst tennis losses Empty Re: worst tennis losses

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:43 pm

I never watched Fedal, so no scars there...but I hated Nole’s losses to Nadal in Hamburg and Madrid 2008 I think.

And Nole’s loss to Fed in RG 11, wow, that felt like a fall from parachute that failed to open, just the sheer shock of The Streak that came to an end.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:53 pm

Yes W08 for sure....fed mentioned again in a french interview how it was so dark and had to keep playing. So frustrating....now imagine that match with his new racquet! Wah

A few goran losses v Pete at Wimby really annoyed me as I felt Goran was the more talented, Pete the more professional.

AO09 of course. It was such a gloomy day....winning more points tan Nadal...but the wrong ones.

FO07.....all those BPs in that first set wasted.

But also all the Wimbies and USOs he lost to Djoko...in particular USO 11 but also USO 09 v Delpo....wasted that one which he should have won in easy 3...like today in fact!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:12 pm

For me with Fed it’s AO09 streets ahead of the rest. W08 I could take; AO09 opened the door to Nadal’s career slam and was heart-breaking and inexplicable in equal measure. If I could have one Fedal defeat back but leave all the rest untouched it would be that one.

Otherwise: Herman’s SF loss to Goran 2001; Lendl to Connors USO 1982, Goran to Sampras 1998, Agassi to Sampras USO 2001 & 2002, Fed to Nadal RG07.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:23 pm

Is this some kind of therapy session, a sort of antidote to the unbridled relief earlier?

I’ll join in anyway.

AO 09. Made me feel sick
FO 06 or 07, both stank as missed opportunities.
W 1981, effectively the end of Borg
All Feds W final losses.
USO 1982 & 3, Connors rabble rousing to break Lendl

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:51 am

Hard to beat childhood emotions:

1.  W80 final
2.  RG84 final
3.  W85 Mac's QF loss to Curren

From Fed's matches, definitely W08 loss.  Until then I was hoping Fed could hold Rafa at bay outside RG.  That is when I realized it was not to be.  I never expected Fed to beat Rafa in a slam after that; that is probably why AO09 was not as emotional for me (but that also is probably why AO17 was so fabulous).

To this day I remember BB's comment on BBC606 from I think just before W08 - it went something like:  "Rafa is a great player; will never be No 1".

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:46 am

W08 is the worst for me, but Federer had mono that year and was feeling the effects of it.  So I won't be too harsh.  Still, he should have won.  Most galling thing about the whole thing was watching Nadal jump around in the stands.  Not an ounce of grace to the guy.  Connors is an arsehole too.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:07 am

summerblues wrote:Hard to beat childhood emotions:

1.  W80 final
2.  RG84 final
3.  W85 Mac's QF loss to Curren

From Fed's matches, definitely W08 loss.  Until then I was hoping Fed could hold Rafa at bay outside RG.  That is when I realized it was not to be.  I never expected Fed to beat Rafa in a slam after that; that is probably why AO09 was not as emotional for me (but that also is probably why AO17 was so fabulous).

To this day I remember BB's comment on BBC606 from I think just before W08 - it went something like:  "Rafa is a great player; will never be No 1".
The internet never forgets......  Cool

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:26 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I never watched Fedal, so no scars there...but I hated Nole’s losses to Nadal in Hamburg and Madrid 2008 I think.

And Nole’s loss to Fed in RG 11, wow, that felt like a fall from parachute that failed to open, just the sheer shock of The Streak that came to an end.
not RG15??

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:31 pm

RG 15, maybe for him, not me.

I was annoyed with how he played as well as how the French stuffed him...he was tired and nervous.

He did not even have a day of rest before the final as he had to play his semi vs Murray two days because of poor scheduling.

Main thing he beat Nadal the same year in straight sets, and I was there to see it! Big Grin

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:45 am

Henman 2001 Wimbledon. Hurts the most as I felt that was his one shot. I've never willed a Slam for anyone, but for him I always wanted a Wimbledon for him.

Roddick 2009. Gut wrenching for him.

Safina FO 2009. Was it this final in where she DF'd on matchpoint? She was broken at the end I believe. Always a harsh way to lose a Slam.

Becker Wim 1995. When it dawned on me he was finished.

So many others, but those I remember very well.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 am

Murray’s worst losses I would say would be:

1. Nishikori US16 - Murray dominated every tournament from Queens onwards but threw away this match from 2 sets to 1 up, after being distracted by a gong. Pretty sure he’d have won that event had he got through that match.

2. Roddick Wim 09 - Well though Roddick played, Murray owned him and to be Roddick’s only top 10 victory ever at Wimbledon is a bit galling. Given how Fed played in the final, would have had a shot at the title. 

3. Djokovic Oz 14 - I think this is the right year. After a tough first two sets were split, Murray looked to be on top but then fell for Novak’s dying swan routine and never recovered his concentration, as a miraculously recovered Novak won 9 games in a row, helped by a tide of unforced errors.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:09 pm

They didn't play in '14. I assume you mean '15?

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:26 pm

Slippy wrote:Murray’s worst losses I would say would be:

What worst losses? He only had worst wins. The guy sucked the entire joy of watching this beautiful game. No body (maybe Granollers  but he often lost, so nothing much about him) make tennis as dull as Murray.

Every time he is on court, I always wish the opponent beats the crap out of him ( baring when he plays Djokovic. That time I wish they both lost, but alas tennis will have  winner).

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:36 pm

A loss is still a loss.

Regardless of who it is.

Live and let live.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Fed's worst loss I remember were:

1. Rome 2006 final loss to Nadal having match points. This was a career defining match for both. Clay was no longer a problem for Fed, but Nadal was going to be for a long time.

2. RG2008 final loss.The worst loss in a slam final for Fed. It scarred him. And so bad it just didn't remain a tennis match when facing Nadal. It became psychological. Fed won against Nadal in bo3 after that. But just couldn't get confidence to do in in longer format. Subsequent losses in W08, AO09, RG11, AO2012... they all have been  largely due to that.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:51 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
Slippy wrote:Murray’s worst losses I would say would be:

What worst losses? He only had worst wins. The guy sucked the entire joy of watching this beautiful game. No body (maybe Granollers  but he often lost, so nothing much about him) make tennis as dull as Murray.

Every time he is on court, I always wish the opponent beats the crap out of him ( baring when he plays Djokovic. That time I wish they both lost, but alas tennis will have  winner).
LOL! Excellent...and yep I agree.

The good thing about Murray is that he wins matches he should not...so whatever he achieved is good to take.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down