Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Women's qf day prediciton game - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Women's qf day prediciton game - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Women's qf day prediciton game - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Women's qf day prediciton game - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Women's qf day prediciton game - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Women's qf day prediciton game - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Women's qf day prediciton game - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Women's qf day prediciton game - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Women's qf day prediciton game - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Women's qf day prediciton game

+3
noleisthebest
Tenez
luvsports!
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Women's qf day prediciton game - Page 2 Empty Re: Women's qf day prediciton game

Post by Tenez Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:19 am

It sounds she did to me. It's normal she tries to overturn the referee's decision. Manning up doesn't mean lying down.

So she moved on.

I personally am not impressed to have a player from abroad pretending she is british and a whole crowd pretending she is when we all know that this athelte is no more British than me.

I live in Britain, love this country (yet dislike it too at times, like I dislike France at times too), however deep down I would never fight for Britain over France. I have little respect for people who do not embrace their origins.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Women's qf day prediciton game - Page 2 Empty Re: Women's qf day prediciton game

Post by legendkillar Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:50 am

On the contrary there was a moan in there about the fact a let wasn't played (which I agree should've been played and if anything I feel Konta should've offered, but that's me).

It was a small whinge and then acceptance of the outcome. I am sure many will view this as vindication for the DC farce (which in itself is sad).

Now you are touching on a sore subject.

I have to say I am with you on that score. I am not a fan of Konta particularly and even less of a fan of switching allegiances so late in a career (just look at the farce of Bedene). I am of the belief if you lock yourself into representing a country, that's it. You fly that flag. Simple.

I don't have issue with those who emigrate here and your stance is totally understandable. However I do get annoyed when those who do decide to live here and contribute do bemoan the country to death. Smacks of lack of gratitude. I say that though as a fully fledged born and bred British citizen. Can imagine my view would change if I emigrated elsewhere.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 am

legendkillar wrote:I did see the match and saw what happened on Matchpoint. I have to say I dislike the crowd for calling out during a point, especially of that importance. However, wasn't it Halep who told Konta in no uncertain terms to man up under crowd pressure during the DC war? Simona as the proverb says "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" no sympathy from me.
Haven't seen it but sounds like it was one idiot? I've never seen a point replayed in those circumstances even if the player thinks they've heard a genuine out call. Very unfortunate for Halep but she wasn't entitled to a let.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:18 am

legendkillar wrote:...
I don't have issue with those who emigrate here and your stance is totally understandable. However I do get annoyed when those who do decide to live here and contribute do bemoan the country to death. Smacks of lack of gratitude. I say that though as a fully fledged born and bred British citizen. Can imagine my view would change if I emigrated elsewhere.

It is human nature. We all bemoan and it's easier when it is not your country. A foreigner is made to feel "foreign" every day and therefore it is difficult for him/her to completely embrace this new culture. It takes time. The key is not getting offended.

Should Konta face a pure British girl and you'd see who the crowd would support. We saw what happened when Henman was playing Greg (who was a bit more British than Konta ever will).

Last edited by Tenez on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:21 am

Slippy wrote:
legendkillar wrote:I did see the match and saw what happened on Matchpoint. I have to say I dislike the crowd for calling out during a point, especially of that importance. However, wasn't it Halep who told Konta in no uncertain terms to man up under crowd pressure during the DC war? Simona as the proverb says "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" no sympathy from me.
Haven't seen it but sounds like it was one idiot? I've never seen a point replayed in those circumstances even if the player thinks they've heard a genuine out call. Very unfortunate for Halep but she wasn't entitled to a let.

It was one idiot. A loud and rather long scream. Hope she gets a ban for life for that.

The rules may well not permit a let, however I am of the belief that good sportsmanship would at least offer it. Especially under those circumstances.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:32 am

Tenez wrote:
legendkillar wrote:...

It is human nature. We all bemoan and it's easier when it is not your country. A foreigner is made to feel "foreign" every day and therefore it is difficult for him/her to completely embrace this new culture. It takes time. The key is not getting offended.

Should Konta face a pure British girl and you'd see who the crowd would support. We saw what happened when Henman was playing Greg (who was a bit more British than Konta ever will).

Oh indeed. I am not offended by it, but treat the bemoaning as a lack of gratitude rather than lack of respect for the country and it's beliefs. As I say I've never been in that situation being a foreigner living in a foreign land and I would imagine I would relate to that well put sentence of "A foreigner is made to feel foreign everyday"

Oh indeed. If she faced say Watson, the partisan crowd would weigh heavily in favour of Watson every day of the week. I certainly recall the Tim/Greg rivalry. Wasn't it Mark Petchey IIRC who stuck the boot in on Greg when he switched allegiance? Prior to Wimbledon in 1995 I think? I know Petchey beat him after those remarks.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:37 am

I meant "as a foreigner" One (I) should not get offended to be made felt like a foreigner.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Totally agree, nothing wrong with being a foreigner who respects the country of settlement but it still that. My brother has spent more than half his life in Canada but he still regards himself as British, as do his friends.

This flag of convenience thing annoys me, in particular when it's used to support an argument for domestic success. It doesn't help that her service action infuriates me.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Her serve motion infuriates me. More so when yesterday the average time between points was:

Konta: 27 seconds
Halep: 18 seconds

How Konta never got a time violation is beyond me.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2