Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child

4 posters

Go down

Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child Empty Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:48 am

What's the first thought that comes to your mind when the name of Alex Dolgopolov is mentioned:

pony-tail? slicing? funny service motion? chaos?

I bet the last word has etched a furrow or two on his coaches face, for Dolgo, the breath-taking, ultra-aggressive, trapeze artist among tennis players is not easy to rule:
just like his pony-tail oozes rebellious streak, so does his shot-selection: despite his super paced shots taking time away from his opponents (that is when they land IN the court) he seems to be having plenty of time in his mind to produce some random patterns as if he is bored.
During a press conference at last year's USO last that took place during Dolgopolov- Djokovic match, journalists asked Tipsarevic what he thought of it. Tipsarevic glanced at the TV screen in the room and shook his head: I don't think even HE (Dolgopolov) knows what shot he's going to play next.

And that sums him up so well: the chaos, creative chaos he so loves to play within: unburdened, with no chains of premeditation, flying light-footed and free across the court, just singing tennis.

His trademark shot: the absence of one! What an insult to his bohemian genius, wild spirit that loves to create something new and crazy on that white canvas called tennis match.

Dolgoplov's tennis is the most thrilling you will ever see: the reckless abandon with which he plays deserves a lot more attention than it gets; sadly, tennis pens prefer the trophy winners.

Enjoy him while you can, because the champagne fizz does usually not last long Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child 83870220

Last edited by noleisthebest on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child Empty Re: Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child

Post by Tenez Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:57 am

In other words, his margins are so thin that that he is going to have very good and very bad times.

Faster conds woudl certainly suit him.

But I agree, overall frustrating cause we know his career is going to be filled with waste of energy and opportunities.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child Empty Re: Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:01 am

Tenez wrote:In other words, his margins are so thin that that he is going to have very good and very bad times.

Faster conds woudl certainly suit him.

But I agree, overall frustrating cause we know his career is going to be filled with waste of energy and opportunities.

True, but I don't think HE sees it as a waste. Although he may be and probably is very frustrated by the conditions and lack of more success, I think he treasures his unompromising tennis more than commercial success, he's like a poet among the bankers there, I really like that.
A true sultan of swing and an absolute treasure!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 am

Having said the above, I did find this interesting and amusing a few weeks ago:

"Vsevolod Kevlych, the vice president of the Ukraine Tennis Federation, said that the reason why world No. 17 Alexandr Dolgopolov did not play Davis Cup for his country was because of money. As a result, Dolgopolov was ruled ineligible for the Olympics.

"The Federation [has] no possibility to pay this contract," Kevlych
said. "Even for the player of such level. We'd like to make a reasonable
agreement, and we really want Alex to play for the national team. Of
course, not for free. But on a reasonable [condition], probably better
than all other Ukrainian top players have on the team. All of us are
ready to hide [our] personal ego. And we are waiting for the same from
the player."

Dolgopolov said he did not want to get into specifics: "We couldn't
find a solution to the problems, so we just put it on standby and I
couldn't play for the team at this moment. I really don't want to take
that all up officially in the press. It's been a long time since we had a
few problems so we couldn't find a way to agree. I hope it will get
better in the upcoming years."

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:25 am

There were 3 matches yesterday in which player came back from 2 sets deficit. Good to see Dolg going through the second round.

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:40 am

Dolgo was frustrating for me once, but not any more. The problem was my expectation and nothing with his game. He plays an ultra high risk game which is often so aggressive, it can make Fed look like a defender. But such a game just can't have the consistency needed to win big tournaments.

I previously posted about his game after looking at what all he lacked and how he can become a contender at the important tournaments. But having watched him for so long now, I just can't imagine he can ever do any of those. Its just not his thing.

At most I expect from him is to provide a wildly entertaining out of the world shot-making match defying all the technical ho-hums of the game irrespective of the result. Even if he goes down to a no-body, its still worth for me now.

It used to gets frustrating at time, but I've learnt to embrace it and gladly take it.

Is he is genius? No. He sure is supremely spectacular, but no genius. He hasn't mastered any aspect of the game to be called genius.

Is he entertaining to watch? Not a moment is dull when he is on court. dog

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:45 am

I agree. To be a genius, you would have to produce those kind of risky shots at will with consistency....which he doesn't. He is very talented cause he still pulls more than teh average player can...but to pull them consistently, effortlessly, graciously and under the toughest pressures? not seen it yet from him. I know another player who can! Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:58 am

Tenez wrote:I agree. To be a genius, you would have to produce those kind of risky shots at will with consistency....which he doesn't. He is very talented cause he still pulls more than teh average player can...but to pull them consistently, effortlessly, graciously and under the toughest pressures? not seen it yet from him. I know another player who can! Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child 1071211947

Nah...."another" player is a percentage grinder compared to Dolgo Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child 1071211947

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Tenez wrote:I agree. To be a genius, you would have to produce those kind of risky shots at will with consistency....

I'd call that prodigy, rather than genius. Genius can produce one masterpiece and that's enough. It's a standard of quality, not the need/telent for repetition which bears the fruit of consistency.

That gives us all hope Alex Dolgopolov: Genius vs Wild Child 123628122

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:09 pm

I don;t think you can create a masterpiece without having a huge amount of talent. That talent might not be enough to create masterpieces at will but at least talent is there in abundance.

Geniuses can typically produce masters pieces at will.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:14 pm

We also need to remember about his condition which affects his endurance on the courts.

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Tenez wrote:I don;t think you can create a masterpiece without having a huge amount of talent. That talent might not be enough to create masterpieces at will but at least talent is there in abundance.

Geniuses can typically produce masters pieces at will.

Of course they do.
I was trying to outline the difference of "genius" and "prodigy". Prodigy is the abundance of genius and talent. A genius can be lazy and not cultivate the talent. A prodigy doesn't. The abundance is such that the execution is effortless. That's the difference in my opinion.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:56 pm

This specific genius has medical limitations, which can be used to explain his 'waywardness'.

The expectation of 'results' commensurate with theoretical talent leads to disappointment, hence enjoy the tennis on an 'as is where is what is' basis. Winking

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum