Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
berdych - Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
berdych - Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
berdych - Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
berdych - Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
berdych - Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
berdych - Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
berdych - Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
berdych - Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
berdych - Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Tomas Berdych – the player with the biggest improvement this year

+3
Daniel
N2D2L
noleisthebest
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

berdych - Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  - Page 2 Empty Re: Tomas Berdych – the player with the biggest improvement this year

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Tenez wrote:
I'd be very surprised if Lendl coudl do something for Berdych. I still think Becker did nothing to Djoko's game. Djoko is simply entering his mature phase and Becker is lucky enough to cash on it.

Nole plays predominately baseline game which is why you don't see Becker's influence so easily.

With Edberg, it is easy to see what he did for Fed, but Fed was already quite a capable S&V-er, plus it's a natural part of his game.

With Nole, it was never going to work like that, but he needed to keep building his game, even if it was not natural.
I have, for example, noticed that he is now using sliced BH quite well, it's a functional shot that takes  pressure of his BH and buys him time - that came from Becker.
Another thing is volleying variety and confidence at the net - that has improved hugely.

He used to be clumsy and panicking on both - not any more.

His game remains the same, but the imorovements give him more options which work for him very well in these slow conditions - he is so difficult to dislodge from the centre baseline when on form. Just ask Berdych Winking.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

berdych - Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  - Page 2 Empty Re: Tomas Berdych – the player with the biggest improvement this year

Post by paulcz Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:48 pm

Nole's net game has improved with BB and slices as well. But Nole's issue is to keep focus for the whole match. I have a feeling that Nole needs both coaches on his bench. When he has BB on the bench he has better net game, but lacks composure and loses his focus, with Marian on the bench he plays with a great patience, but keeps base line  more than it should be. So, he needs both.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:31 pm

paulcz wrote:Very different proposition. Murray moves much better and does not go for winners easily. Berdych try to shorten the point....very different psychology.
Although that masochistish Murray is more complex player than Berd,  their matches are quite close and both players have some weaknesses as strengths.  Ivan just managed to instill into Murray a missing confidence, advised him a right tactics and brought new energy. That made the difference in Murray.[/quote]

Again, I don't think Lendl helped Murray much. Had he outplayed Djoko in those 2 slams he won, I'd say fine, but we know that Djoko was a shadow of himself in those 2 slams finals. By knocking at the door, Murray was due a slam or 2. To me Murray played his best tennis in the last USO actually.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:46 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Nole plays predominately baseline game which is why you don't see Becker's influence so easily.
Well I see Nole win whether Becker is there or not...and Nole wins cause he does the rubber band from every corner of the court...as you said in the baseline.

With Edberg, it is easy to see what he did for Fed, but Fed was already quite a capable S&V-er, plus it's a natural part of his game.
I do not see the edberg effect either. Fed ventured to the net long before Edberg joined his team. There do bring support and a few things certainly bit there are just to subtle to notice as it's essentially little advises, discussions on how to approach a player, what to do but more on a discussion level than an execution plan. And fed says it clearly. It;s not Edberg only, it;s his whole team and Edberg is there to share his views on things. But no way can Edberg teach Federer how to play a volley cause Edberg never had to volley those spinny balls. ....same for Becker regarding Nole, though Nole was starting from scratch whereas Fed had already all the shots.

With Nole, it was never going to work like that, but he needed to keep building his game, even if it was not natural.
I have, for example, noticed that he is now using sliced BH quite well, it's a functional shot that takes  pressure of his BH and buys him time - that came from Becker.
Another thing is volleying variety and confidence at the net - that has improved hugely.
Frankly not convinced, considering he doesn't spend much time there. And he did spend bit of time there before Becker as well.
He used to be clumsy and panicking on both - not any more.
It's not his volleys nore his BH slice that win him the matches. It;s that capacity to retrieve everything and while at it making it difficult to his opponent. Not great to watch but very efficient.

His game remains the same, but the imorovements give him more options which work for him very well in these slow conditions - he is so difficult to dislodge from the centre baseline when on form. Just ask Berdych Winking.[/quote]

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:01 am

I think Federer's net game has definitely gone up in quality since Edberg joined him.
He never used to defend the net so well, it was always one, max two attacking volleys in the past; now he often hits 3-4.

As for Nole, yes, I know volley is not winning him matches per se, but it's prolonging his longevity as a player as it helps him finish, on average, 15-20 points per match there as opposed at the baseline.

It just adds to his options, and I think it's good. He is relaxed there now.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:52 am

noleisthebest wrote:I think Federer's net game has definitely gone up in quality since Edberg joined him.
He never used to defend the net so well, it was always one, max two attacking volleys in the past; now he often hits 3-4.

As for Nole, yes, I know volley is not winning him matches per se, but it's prolonging his longevity as a player as it helps him finish, on average, 15-20 points per match there as opposed at the baseline.

It just adds to his options, and I think it's good. He is relaxed there now.
It's gone up because he has been venturing to the net much more.....starting with Anacone time. Volleys are about reflexes and anticipation. They certainly do improve at least up to mid 30s.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:20 am

I know about volleys and reflexes, Zimonjic os 38 and Nestor 42,  sharp as ever, not to mention Llodra.

Federer is a lot more aggressive at the net now, the approach is different, when he is in the flow it's almost classic s&v tennis, and that's quite something in these conditions.

Who else is playing like that on tour now?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:36 am

noleisthebest wrote:I know about volleys and reflexes, Zimonjic os 38 and Nestor 42,  sharp as ever, not to mention Llodra.

Federer is a lot more aggressive at the net now, the approach is different, when he is in the flow it's almost classic s&v tennis, and that's quite something in these conditions.

Doubles is a totally different game, it can't be compared with singles at all. All the great doubles players with their super reflexes and volleys will wilt completely when playing the current baseliners. Is it surprising that there is currently no player in ATP who plays regular singles and doubles?

Fed is playing more S&V because, he mainly doesn't have lot more options left. Does he prefer to? I don't think so, he was always more of an aggressive baseliner who likes to come to the net.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:16 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
Fed is playing more S&V because, he mainly doesn't have lot more options left. Does he prefer to? I don't think so, he was always more of an aggressive baseliner who likes to come to the net.

He clearly was not when he was playing with 100% nat gut. he was a SVer actually.

This is what makes his relative success now in this era really extraordinary. He learnt his trade versus, Goran, Kraji, Rafter, Henman and Pete with a 85inch racquet. Then he was given luxilon and a 90inch racquet and was able to rally and dominate for years....but was not able to beat the generation who developed super fitness/stamina and learnt to play with luxilon strings. When McEnroe was faced against players who had learnt with bigger frame, his tennis became quickly obsolete.

Federer's game is also obsolete (especially with his SHBH) but his talent alone is what keeps him up there still. All those with a similar game are nowhere to be seen at the top. Talent and sheer talent is what keeps him going!...and me watching!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:54 pm

Current news from Bird, "Ivan doesn't have enough time for coaching".
So, let's translate it into this, Bird didn't offer enough to get Ivan onto his bench.    Great success is not cheap!

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:16 pm

paulcz wrote:Current news from Bird, "Ivan doesn't have enough time for coaching".
So, let's translate it into this, Bird didn't offer enough to get Ivan onto his bench.    Great success is not cheap!

Or ...Lendl did not wish to "waste" his time with Berdych.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:06 am

Another info from Ivan today, he says I don't give up coaching but it has to come in the right time.
It is clear that there was no agreement on money with Bird.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2