Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Tomas Berdych – the player with the biggest improvement this year

+3
Daniel
N2D2L
noleisthebest
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  Empty Tomas Berdych – the player with the biggest improvement this year

Post by paulcz Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:29 am

Berdych was as young very promising player and he won Master BNP Paribas in Paris already when his was 20yo. Since  then on he has played GS final in Wimbledon and by a completion his semi at last AO, he has played all 4 GS semi. Tomas has won   DC successively together with Stepanek, which helped him better handle with the pressure on the court.

One week after this year AO semi Czechs played the first DC round with Netherlands at home. Despite Berd was really exhausted (DC coach said that he hadn’t seen Tomas so worn out), Berd won all his matches including the double with Step, in which he was the best player on the court. He was absolutely dominant on the court in all aspects of the game. He has improved serve body motion and most importantly he improved his move on the court. He seems to be mentally stronger on the court and  he just plays with great confidence  and cool head. Currently he practically doesn’t have any weakness in his game, all he needs to do is to prove it in the big matches.

I tend to say that Berd has  his chances to success at all GS except RG. IMO there is no player who can outpower Berd  on the court at the moment perhaps except healthy Delpo.  Berdych’s hitting is the best quality and he has showed the biggest improvement this year.  Yeah, together with the amazing  Stan.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  Empty Re: Tomas Berdych – the player with the biggest improvement this year

Post by Tenez Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:10 pm

There is still a huge Achilles heel in Berdych: his mind. It's one thing winning a 500 against player who have the same mental problem...and another to win on the big stage where all his nemesis will come back on crucial points against top players.

I actually think that clay is probably his best surface cause when it comes to generate pace on a slow court, it's easier for him than most..plus clay helps his average hands skills. He reached Wimbledon's final the year Wimby was slower than FO. His bad record at the USO and Cincy and even fast grass (didn't he lose to Gulbis in first round there?) shows that though he can generate pace he is not that good at handling it...and I do not see this changing.

Having said all that Berdych surprised me by his regularity. I certainly did not foresee him to remain in the top 10. His hard "work" showing essentially in his thighs certainly helped him considerably.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Tomas Berdych – the  player with the biggest improvement this year  Empty Re: Tomas Berdych – the player with the biggest improvement this year

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:21 pm

I have not followed Berd's career closely in his younger years, but have seen a lot of his matches against Nole, and for me, he would always come across as easy prey for him, there would be almost a guaranteed choke, and their H2H reflected it well.
Then in 2010 Nole lost to him in Wimbledon SF, that was his worst year when he played the entire season without the serve (remember how Todd Martin stuffed him), and the said recently he was even contemplating quitting tennis after that loss (fortunately, DC win in November brought him back to life and inspired him to an unforgettable 2011).
In 2011, I saw Berd live for the first time, that was again against Nole in WTF.
Nole had just recovered from the torn muscle injury and was not playing great, but managed to scrape through and win carried by my spirited support and that was his only win in WTF that year).
It was then, that I could fully appreciate Berd's forehand and serve.
From close up, his FH is beautiful shot, with low net clearance and skidding low bounce, his wide serve the same.
Then I saw them again this Wimbledon, and the same happened, Nole was very frustrated with Berd's fast flying missiles in the 1st set,  so I told Nole: Don't worry, he'll combust as always! ....which he, of course did!

So in short, because of his weight and relatively slow movement, if he meets a good returner, Berd has no plan B and panics, ie chokes.

If the conditions were faster, he'd probably be more successful indoors,  although, I agree with Tenez that he could do well on clay because he has a similar game as Soderling.

It was an interesting comparison between him and Stan you made, and they are fairly similar in what they have achieved, but Stan has made considerable improvement on his FH since Norman took over as his coach, plus his BH is a real weapon compared to Berd's who uses it mostly to rally, rarely goes down the line with it.

Having said all this, I watched him in a few matches in Rotterdam, and there were moments in which he played really well: smooth, all-court tennis, and his inside in FH mid court was working very well.
He was quite disciplined and steady against the dangerous but hot-headed and inexperienced Janowicz, and in that match you could see why he hasn't done better against the very top players: he does not like risking too much, and does come across as static, even against the taller JJ.
If he takes the leaf out of Stan's book and go for his shots more, he'll have to do that if he wants to take that final step and win a slam.

To me, for a long tome he looked content with where he was: nice top 8 position, plenty of cash and a pretty GF, Czech national DC hero...

I don't think he is hungry enough, and I don't know whether he has the belief.
I know he does against Fed and Murray, but against Nole...he,he...

We'll see how he fares in Dubai next week.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Fantastic player, can generate superb pace.

Just needs to keep consistent in the big moments, and mentally get stronger against the big guns.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:46 pm

The 3 players he'll struggle to beat this season are Djokovic, Nadal, and Stan.

Murray and Federer he will fancy his chances.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:53 pm

paulcz wrote:
Tenez wrote:There is still a huge Achilles heel in Berdych: his mind. It's one thing winning a 500 against player who have the same mental problem...and another to win on the big stage where all his nemesis will come back on crucial points against top players.

Berd has grown up mentally recently, the difference is quite visible.

I actually think that clay is probably his best surface cause when it comes to generate pace on a slow court, it's easier for him than most..plus clay helps his average hands skills. He reached Wimbledon's final the year Wimby was slower than FO. His bad record at the USO and Cincy and even fast grass (didn't he lose to Gulbis in first round there?) shows that though he can generate pace he is not that good at handling it...and I do not see this changing.

Having said all that Berdych surprised me by his regularity. I certainly did not foresee him to remain in the top 10. His hard "work" showing essentially in his thighs certainly helped him considerably.  

Berd is just a complete player, his baseline game and ball hitting belong to the best currently. There hasn't been and won't be a player higher than 195cm, who can win  BO5 matches with Nole/Nadal at RG. That is just not possible. But Berd's chances against Nole / Nadal on all other GS aren't not bad.
I watched Berd at his matches in DC very closely and was really surprised, his move has improved to the level which  I thought he just wouldn't able to reach it.  Now, he is there. Keep your eyes on Berd.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:05 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I have not followed Berd's career closely in his younger years, but have seen a lot of his matches against Nole, and for me, he would always come across as easy prey for him, there would be almost a guaranteed choke, and their H2H reflected it well.
Then in 2010 Nole lost to him in Wimbledon SF, that was his worst year when he played the entire season without the serve (remember how Todd Martin stuffed him), and the said recently he was even contemplating quitting tennis after that loss (fortunately, DC win in November brought him back to life and inspired him to an unforgettable 2011).
In 2011, I saw Berd live for the first time, that was again against Nole in WTF.
Nole had just recovered from the torn muscle injury and was not playing great, but managed to scrape through and win carried by my spirited support and that was his only win in WTF that year).
It was then, that I could fully appreciate Berd's forehand and serve.
From close up, his FH is beautiful shot, with low net clearance and skidding low bounce, his wide serve the same.
Then I saw them again this Wimbledon, and the same happened, Nole was very frustrated with Berd's fast flying missiles in the 1st set,  so I told Nole: Don't worry, he'll combust as always! ....which he, of course did!

So in short, because of his weight and relatively slow movement, if he meets a good returner, Berd has no plan B and panics, ie chokes.

If the conditions were faster, he'd probably be more successful indoors,  although, I agree with Tenez that he could do well on clay because he has a similar game as Soderling.

It was an interesting comparison between him and Stan you made, and they are fairly similar in what they have achieved, but Stan has made considerable improvement on his FH since Norman took over as his coach, plus his BH is a real weapon compared to Berd's who uses it mostly to rally, rarely goes down the line with it.

Having said all this, I watched him in a few matches in Rotterdam, and there were moments in which he played really well: smooth, all-court tennis, and his inside in FH mid court was working very well.
He was quite disciplined and steady against the dangerous but hot-headed and inexperienced Janowicz, and in that match you could see why he hasn't done better against the very top players: he does not like risking too much, and does come across as static, even against the taller JJ.
If he takes the leaf out of Stan's book and go for his shots more, he'll have to do that if he wants to take that final step and win a slam.

To me, for a long tome he looked content with where he was: nice top 8 position, plenty of cash and a pretty GF, Czech national DC hero...

I don't think he is hungry enough, and I don't know whether he has the belief.
I know he does against Fed and Murray, but against Nole...he,he...

We'll see how he fares in Dubai next week.

Yes, I also thought that Berd is not hungry enough, but he showed that he is really mentally stronger and looks hungry on the court. I think that it came from AO, where he played a great match with Stan, who finally demolished Nadal, which nobody expected. That match has had a positive move to all players, who have the game, but still lack a strong mentallity. That is exactly Berd's case.

I look forward to the matches between Berd vs. Nole /Nadal/Fed/Murray. Berd won't play next DC round in Japan and will concentrate on his individual season, which helps him as well.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:10 am

How can you say Berdych is mentally stronger? To see that we need to see him on the biggest stage and see how he copes with real pressure. So far he has not.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:15 am

The true indicator will be Wimbledon. I am hoping Federer will win it, and he has a chance. But Stan and Djok will no doubt be favourites.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:35 am

Wawrinka really does not like grass, Murray is favourite for Wimbledon.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:36 am

Murray? On what evidence? His current form is awful and he is recovering from a real injury.

Stan is a completely different player than the one we are used to too.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:40 am

Well Murray's defending champion, and grass is his best surface.
However I would agree that there are question marks, as he is coming back from injury.

And Wawrinka lost in R1 of Wimbledon last year if I recall correctly. Let's wait a bit and observe how he plays with the extra pressure of being a Grand Slam Champion, we all thought Del Potro would dominate and it never happened.
Not that I'm ruling Stan out, the only player we can rule out for certain as not winning Wimbledon is Rafael Nadal.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:48 am

Tenez wrote:How can you say Berdych is mentally stronger? To see that we need to see him on the biggest stage and see how he copes with real pressure. So far he has not.

From his great performance at Davis cup, where I saw him  in the double on live  and a  confirmation of  that positive move in Rotterdam.

His mentality is different these days. He plays with higher  self-confidence, i.e. better composure on decisive points, better choices at net approaches, less easy mistakes. Overall Berd has played with so far invisible ease on his standard, that striked me the most.

Game wise, he has improved his serve motion, he uses more hip twist, his second serve added more kick, but especially his move is better than before. Quite significant change with Berd.

IMO he is mentally there, which means that he is able to beat the best on hc, where he can employ hard flat hitting, very good serve and net game.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:01 am

DC is not nearly as tough as slams. In a DC you can use the whole crowd behind you, whether with or against you. in a slam you are on your own and much more prized as well than the DC.

But anyway, I would certainly support Thomas over the usual roadrunners but I would not count my chickens just yet.

I actually think that the one best to counter Berdych is Federer in form. Federer knows best how to handle those kind of players.....unfortunately his record with them has suffered due to his recent physical problems.....otherwoise it's not close.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:46 pm

Tenez wrote:DC is not nearly as tough as slams. In a DC you can use the whole crowd behind you, whether with or against you. in a slam you are on your own and much more prized as well than the DC.

But anyway, I would certainly support Thomas over the usual roadrunners but I would not count my chickens just yet.

I actually think that the one best to counter Berdych is Federer in form. Federer knows best how to handle those kind of players.....unfortunately his record with them has suffered due to his recent physical problems.....otherwoise it's not close.

His move has been a limitation for him in the past, but now that looks much better. Fed's fast game and effort to shorten rallies work well for Berd. But players who can moonball and rally forever and who have the ability to change a game rhytm, pace and have a lot of game variation are tough opponents for him.

I look forward to see a healthy Fed and believe that we will be watching a demolition of our clownish moonballer at least couple of times.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:59 pm

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here, I am a Berdych fan, but there's nothing really to suggest a huge mental shift from last year. Yes he was good in the Davis Cup, and he played well in Rotterdam; but I still feel he'll struggle in the latter stages of slams.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:15 pm

From the latest Berd's interview is obvious that Tomas feels his biggest chance to win GS on the grass, so nothing else than Wimbledon is his main target. I think that his chances are not smaller at US open. So let's see what he can bring out on the courts. Currently I see him as a player who can beat every player on his good day.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:28 am

I see clay as his best chance or even the AO. To win on grass one needs quick hands and Berdych as not got quick hands. The year he got to the final of Wimbledon was the year Wimbledon was slower than the FO (statistically proven) and the year Nadal won wimby with more ease than the French.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:32 am

Tenez wrote: the year Nadal won wimby with more ease than the French.
How so?
Nadal dropped no sets in French Open 2010, and he dropped a few in Wimbledon.

I guess you have your own version of 'facts' again, don't you? Winking

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:36 am

I just have to write Nadal and there you show up. Winking

He was lucky in the FO 2010 that Fed lost to Sod because of rain and Sod was nervous.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:26 am

This year's IW has shown the potential beginning of the end of road-running era of tennis.
The courts were slow, balls light and very bouncy, yet the two combined did not help those meant to help as was the case the past.
It seems that the tour has caught up in fitness and many players now are able to take advantage of that extra time slow conditions are providing, except that a lot of them are choosing to go for their shots instead of rallying (Gulbis, Stan etc).
The tour has also moved on in quality of ball-striking and that makes  life very difficult for those whose advantage is speed and taking time away from opponents.
The classic example was Robredo Federer USO match.
Fed plead really well in the first set, but Robredo, with his new found post-injury fitness (sounds familiar?) was able to keep the ball in play as long as he needed to, go for the lines and angles and bamboozle Federer who lost the forward moving advantage and got pinned back to endless baseline rallying.
So now it almost feels like a free for all kind of state...so in this situation, Berd has also lost his edge he had in the last two years. His safe attacking game is not enough any more.
It was never slam enough in the past, and now even less due to his lack of mobility.
I did notice that he has become a bit looser and springier inside the court recently, but his problem remains the same against good returners who are still having an advantage over him.
If he wanted more success at the top, he'll have to lose some of that leg muscle mass and attack a lot more, but I don't think that's what he wants to do.
He has cracked formula to keep him in top 10, and he is doing enough to stay there, I think Federer and Nole would beat him in any slam.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:17 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
I did notice that he has become a bit looser and springier inside the court recently, but his problem remains the same against good returners who are still having an advantage over him.
If he wanted more success at the top, he'll have to lose some of that leg muscle mass and attack a lot more, but I don't think that's what he wants to do.
He has cracked formula to keep him in top 10, and he is doing enough to stay there, I think Federer and Nole would beat him in any slam.

Yeah, nitb, we never get a well springier player from an obsolete robot, but his move has improved recently. He also adds more game persuasiveness and is able the game situations better way than he did before. He also shows very good net game and improved serve. I am sure he grew up mentally and is more confident on the court.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:25 pm

Tenez wrote:I see clay as his best chance or even the AO. To win on grass one needs quick hands and Berdych as not got quick hands. The year he got to the final of Wimbledon was the year Wimbledon was slower than the FO (statistically proven) and the year Nadal won wimby with more ease than the French.

If we speak about GS, then no chance for Berd to win RG, unless all good road runners would be injured. The legs are his limit there, not hands. I know Berd's game too well to know, what surfaces fit his game. He prefers short points rallies, although he can rally from base line on clay really well.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:05 pm

paulcz wrote:
Tenez wrote:I see clay as his best chance or even the AO. To win on grass one needs quick hands and Berdych as not got quick hands. The year he got to the final of Wimbledon was the year Wimbledon was slower than the FO (statistically proven) and the year Nadal won wimby with more ease than the French.

If we speak about GS, then no chance for Berd to win RG, unless all good road runners would be injured.

Agree but he has even less chance of winning Wimbledon...if Wimbledon is a bit faster than clay.

The legs are his limit there, not hands.
The thing with clay is that tall and hard hitters and even volleyers can actually challenge the road runners. The FO is filled with big hitters who have upset the crocodile types (road runners). remember the only player who beat Nadal at the French open is a "Berdych type"..not a road runner. Others who came relatively close are Isner or Delpo (DC). And the way they can actually do that is by hitting through and better even if conds are slow and the ball does not fly as this makes their shots accurate with less UEs.

I know Berd's game too well to know, what surfaces fit his game. He prefers short points rallies, although he can rally from base line on clay really well.
This is what clay can give him. good serve and a deadly FH. Look at the AO 12, another slow court, what did nadal do to reverse the trend? He stood closer to the baseline and sent the ball back faster to Berdych exposing berdych "bad hands". On clay it would have been almost impossible for Nadal to return closer to the baseline due to inconsistent bounce.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:14 pm

Congratulations to Marin to his win QF match with Berdych. It was well deserved win and the match showed how Marin grew up not only game wise, but also has much stronger mentality.
Berdych reaches his 29th birthday in two weeks, so he does not have enough time for a great success at GS. He had some troubles with his hips recently, the windy weather also had a negative effect to his game, but his performance was besmirched by his frustrations, which he showed with an argument with an umpire-woman in particular. It was clear that the ball double bounced on the court. His desperate lamenting was absolutely useless and didn't help him in the following game.
Currently Czech media's mention a chance that Ivan Lendl could help him in his effort to succeed at GS. Now I think that it is too late in Berdych's case. His huge body and hips problems limit his game a lot.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:40 pm

I read about Berd and Lendl, and why not, it would be interesting to see what if anything Ivan could to.

I have really enjoyed how Chang transformed Nishi, how Lendl helped Murray, how Stefan is enriching Fed, even Goran's job with Cilic, and I hope that some of Boris's ruthlessness will rub off on ever too emotional Nole.

Berd has done well with what he's been given especially in this generation of players, and I can see he is happy with his career and life, just trying to stay where he is, more than deluding himself he could suddenly start winning slams as he is simply not a good enough mover for it.

The only thing which is a shame and completely unnecessary is this arguing and gamesmanship incidents...which is pretty unintelligent as he gains nothing but a bad name and reputation.
Similar to when footballers get a red card and all run to the ref arguing and flapping their arms about like he is going to change his mind!!!! Doh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Wawrinka really does not like grass, Murray is favourite for Wimbledon.

This looks a whole lot more silly now.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:08 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I read about Berd and Lendl, and why not, it would be interesting to see what if anything Ivan could to.
Lendl could teach him how to breakk dance better!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I read about Berd and Lendl, and why not, it would be interesting to see what if anything Ivan could to.
Lendl could teach him how to breakk dance better!

very naughty, T! Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Czech media write about an agreed meeting between Berd and Ivan Lendl after Shangai.  Will Ivan be returning to the coach bench again? I would like to see him there. If anybody can be sad from that, then a certain Andy.
I would like to see a match betwen Bird and Murray then.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:34 am

paulcz wrote:Czech media write about an agreed meeting between Berd and Ivan Lendl after Shangai.  Will Ivan be returning to the coach bench again? I would like to see him there. If anybody can be sad from that, then a certain Andy.

I think Lendl should work with Berdych. Thomas Krupa has been with Berdych for long enough and perhaps has nothing left more to offer him. Raonic's change of coach did help him.. Murray's needless to say...

If he looking to do better than just be  consistent top-10ner and reaching QFs and occasional SF in slams.. the he needs some change.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:35 am

I also think he has too much respect for Djokovic, Nadal.. no wonder he loses badly against them.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:00 am

paulcz wrote:Czech media write about an agreed meeting between Berd and Ivan Lendl after Shangai.  Will Ivan be returning to the coach bench again? I would like to see him there. If anybody can be sad from that, then a certain Andy.

What do you think Lendl could do for Berd's game?

To me, Berd looks content with where he is and has no fire in him left.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:20 am

noleisthebest wrote:

What do you think Lendl could do for Berd's game?

To me, Berd looks content with where he is and has no fire in him left.

If that's the case, no coach can help him.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:13 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:I also think he has too much respect for Djokovic, Nadal.. no wonder he loses badly against them.
I don;t think it's a question of respect. It;s just a question of capability. Berdych simply has not got the game to bother the players who are going to move him around. His shots are not great anyway, they don;t hurt those fast moving players. 

Federer's FH used to hurts a lot. Against Nadal, Djoko and Murray it hurts them much less as they can get to it. Same for Berdych but Berdych can;t move very well.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:14 pm

Interesting you mention that, because on Sunday, Berd looked slower than ever.
So much so that he made that slow court look fast as he didn't even bother moving for many shots.
He just kept standing on the centre base-line showing no anticipation.
It was really strange.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:17 pm

No offence P, but I really hope the opposite happens in regards to your title. I don't want him clogging up the WTF's again this year! The further back he goes the better for me.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:28 pm

If Cilic & Raonic qualify, they are going to be cannon fodder.

Imagine Monfils & Earnie in O2 instead.....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:35 pm

Raonic yes, just going by his awful top 10 record this year. 
Cilic I am disappointed as I actually thought he could maybe shake things up a bit (secretly hoping he could be another challenger to the top 2). Was US open just a flash in the pan? I hope so in terms of winning slams but not in terms of beating the defensive guys (Ferrer, Robredo, Murray, Djokovic sorry nitb and rafa).

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:55 pm

Robredo is miles more interesting to watch than Cilic. Not to mention Nole.
You don't reach a double bagel match point by playing defensive tennis.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:22 pm

I had to do homework for my French class today, and just like in good old days when I was a regular student, I left all the work to the last minute...AND everything else looked so much more interesting, incl. ironing and replying to emails!

So as I was trying to summon will to face the bunch of photocopied handouts containing etre and avoir as well as think how I was going to correctly pronounce "I played tennis at the weekend" my brain swirled around thinking about Lendl, French...and this is what I ended up looking at...instead of doing the hw Run

Fortunately, I managed to get away with it somehow when the teacher asked (we  were doing nationalities and names of countries) to name a famous German woman!
Btw, I loved the camera  showing Borg's BH swing and almost passive serving stance, also just how awesome Lendl's FH was even with that tiny racquet.
And didn't everyone look so "normal" and human back then...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:47 am

Yes good clip. What I find amazing is to see 2 of the greatest tennis athletes look so human compared to the tennis player of today..they look exhausted though they played with much less physical demand than they do nowadays.

Borg Lend 81 is so much closer to pre-open era than today. Today is simply a different ball game.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:22 am

Yes, I was amazed to see how exhausted young Lendl was in that 5th set. Could barely move on the BH.

(Btw, does anyone know who ithe blonde girl that gives him a kiss at the end of the clip is ? Lendl walks away happy as if he didn't lose the final telling her he'll see her at Wimbledon. Such a lovely touch from the cameraman to end this story. As time goes by I love this film more and more.)

Tennis was truly a different sport then.

I heard an interesting theory in the club about why and how DBH came about: apparently, 70s&80s were the first time older women and teenage girls started playing tennis en masse and because they couldn't keep up the strength on it, the second hand was being introduced in coaching and the rest is history.

I said how it was not the lack of strength but lack of talent , i.e. timing, mentioning Henin.

I really want to know who it was,  which coach came with that idea!
What consequences it brought to the game...

Will Toni be remembered as the first one to start another trend by engineering a natural right-hander into a left-hander?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:18 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Yes, I was amazed to see how exhausted young Lendl was in that 5th set. Could barely move on the BH.

(Btw, does anyone know who ithe blonde girl that gives him a kiss at the end of the clip is ? Lendl walks away happy as if he didn't lose the final telling her he'll see her at Wimbledon. Such a lovely touch from the cameraman to end this story. As time goes by I love this film more and more.)

Tennis was truly a different sport then.

I heard an interesting theory in the club about why and how DBH came about: apparently, 70s&80s were the first time older women and teenage girls started playing tennis en masse and because they couldn't keep up the strength on it, the second hand was being introduced in coaching and the rest is history.

I said how it was not the lack of strength but lack of talent , i.e. timing, mentioning Henin.

I really want to know who it was,  which coach came with that idea!
What consequences it brought to the game...

Will Toni be remembered as the first one to start another trend by engineering a natural right-hander into a left-hander?

Being lefty has a advantage of uniqueness which most Right handers will find difficult to adjust. All points are played differently and so the whole game changes. Toni had to take this chance because Nadal was going no where with his Right handed play. So yes it was a great engineering and worth the risk.

I also heard Moya was a natural LH who played right handed. weird! to lose that advantage.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:21 pm

noleisthebest wrote:If Cilic & Raonic qualify, they are going to be cannon fodder.

Imagine Monfils & Earnie in O2 instead.....

Cilic maybe not so much, but Raonic definitely. Raonic has reached the point where Berdych/Ferru were sitting for many years i.e. can beat the ones below him but will be blown away by those above him

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:24 pm

Finally I have some time for OTF

From what I heard from Ivan this morning, I think that he is internally decided for coaching. Now it depends only on money agreement. I hope that Bird is able to offer enough to engage Ivan.

When thinking about Bird's chances to succeed at GS, then even with Ivan that will be a tremendous task. He really wants to get at WTF and hoped that would be competitive with Nole in the Beijing final. How fast it went, he can't still get it.

But you never know, when he gets a good draw (avoiding Nole and Nadal), then there is a chance.

I also agree with Rotla, that he is very long time with his coach T. Krupa and his game hasn't showed big changes, except a bit bigger body rotation on serve. It is too little. His serve should have more variability, go sometimes at the net, play a drop shot. But his game is sterilly monotonous and his move is not that good.

Tbh I am more for Ivan's return to coaching than watching Bird on the court.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:55 pm

paulcz wrote:Finally I have some time for OTF

From what I heard from Ivan this morning, I think that he is internally decided  for coaching. Now it depends only on money agreement. I hope that Bird is able to offer enough to engage Ivan.

When thinking about Bird's chances to succeed at GS, then even with Ivan that will be a tremendous task. He really wants to get at WTF and hoped that would be competitive with Nole in the Beijing final. How fast it went, he can't still get it.

But you never know, when he gets a good draw (avoiding Nole and Nadal), then there is a chance.

I also agree with Rotla, that he is very long time with his coach T. Krupa and his game hasn't  showed big changes, except a bit bigger body rotation on serve. It is too little. His serve should have more variability, go sometimes at the net, play a drop shot. But his game is sterilly monotonous and his move is not that good.

If a Moping-choking-self cursing  player like Murray can win 2* slams, Berdych can definitely win 1. He needs some new directions, and some belief and some good draw.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:06 pm

From what I heard from Ivan this morning, I think that he is internally decided  for coaching. Now it depends only on money agreement. I hope that Bird is able to offer enough to engage Ivan.

I also agree with Rotla, that he is very long time with his coach T. Krupa and his game hasn't  showed big changes, except a bit bigger body rotation on serve. It is too little. His serve should have more variability, go sometimes at the net, play a drop shot. But his game is sterilly monotonous and his move is not that good.

I'd be very surprised if Lendl coudl do something for Berdych. I still think Becker did nothing to Djoko's game. Djoko is simply entering his mature phase and Becker is lucky enough to cash on it.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:07 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:

If a Moping-choking-self cursing  player like Murray can win 2* slams, Berdych can definitely win 1. He needs some new directions, and some belief and some good draw.
Very different proposition. Murray moves much better and does not go for winners easily. Berdych try to shorten the point....very different psychology.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:15 pm

Tenez wrote:
raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:

Very different proposition. Murray moves much better and does not go for winners easily. Berdych try to shorten the point....very different psychology.
Although that masochistish Murray is more complex player than Berd,  their matches are quite close and both players have some weaknesses as strengths.  Ivan just managed to instill into Murray a missing confidence, advised him a right tactics and brought new energy. That made the difference in Murray.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next