Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
My Babolat Day EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
My Babolat Day EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
My Babolat Day EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
My Babolat Day EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
My Babolat Day EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
My Babolat Day EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
My Babolat Day EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
My Babolat Day EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
My Babolat Day EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

My Babolat Day

4 posters

Go down

My Babolat Day Empty My Babolat Day

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:50 pm

Today has been my Babolat Day!

I play with a Babolat Pure Drive racquet. It's a nice racquet, but I wanted to try other ones as I have a feeling this one is not quite right for me.
But finding a new and different racquet is not the easiest thing to do.

Most of the coaches in my club are Babolat sponsored, so unfortunately don't get the chance to see much else, unless I ask to borrow other people's racquets, of which some are very possessive! (plus so many have these ridiculously big and light HEAD models)

I read about the latest Babolat model - Pure Strike before Christmas and it "sounded" good.
So I pestered one of the coaches to try it out and she eventually did.
I was disappointed because she said it was basically the same as my existing, the now discontinued "Drive" model.

So today I saw her boyfriend (also a coach, former ATP ranked player) who heard about my interest and to my delight pulled the Strike model out of his bag.
So I tried it out and it felt quite nice, the best way I can describe it is, unlike the Drive model, it feels quite different when you hit a baseline shot or a more  controlled shot inside a court, (flies from baseline, but more controlled inside).
I don't know if it makes sense, but that's how it felt.

I don't know much about racquets, so reading about tensions and pattern strings doesn't mean a lot  to me  Blush 

Anyway, that bit was just a happy little episode for me today and I would have probably never mentioned it had I not seen this article in tennis.com:
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/01/babolat-play-pure-drive/50188/#.Us8P4ssgGSM

A racquet with a pair of ruthless eyes inside it!!!  Yikes 

"One of the most exciting technological advances in the history of racquet technology, the Babolat PLAY Pure Drive comes with a sensor in the handle which tracks all aspects of your game. This includes how many forehands, backhands and serves you hit, percentage of spin and flat shots hit and where contact is made on the string bed. This data is easily uploaded to your smartphone, tablet or computer via Bluetooth or USB cable, where a detailed snapshot of your game awaits. You can even compare the results with previously saved sessions and compare/share with friends or the wider community of PLAY users."

I am a recreational player so not sure how useful it would be, but it sounds quite exciting to have all that data available to us "mortals".
And I am not even a gadget person at all!!!

Anyway, have a look at this video and tell me what you think, is this just another toy for mindless baseline amateurs, or a useful tool that could help (not sure even what, though...) ?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

My Babolat Day Empty Re: My Babolat Day

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:32 pm

I'd be very surprised if that new Babolat is much different from the previous one.....unless Nadal stays with the previous one.

Are the specs diff? weight, thickness, string pattern? Any change would certainly make the racquet different...but string and tension are most likely the main feel factor when 2 racquets have similar shapes.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:37 pm

The new one is 5 g lighter and the part between the grip and the head thinner and lighter, so probably the overall weight is distributed more in the head with the new one.
I didn't even think the new model would have anything to do with Nadal.
From the marketing approach it looked as if Babolat were trying to appeal to the non-Nadal players with the new racquet.
But it's just words.
I'll ask about the string and tension.
Just on touch, the new one felt more tight.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:39 pm

ouahh....just saw the clip...the app is impressive though I doubt it is as accurate as it claims.
Drop shots, lobs will certainly mess up the stats....

Great gadget though....even if it is still just a gadget.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:41 pm

If you read the article under the link posted you'll see it mentions pros and cons, and reading certain type of shots is one of the cons, as you say drop-shot, lobs etc...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:43 pm

It's still a nice gadget....but we are old enough to know that "better is the enemy of good"! Cool 

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:46 pm

T, how did you come to choose your Yonex?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:50 pm

NITB, have you converted to a Nadal fan then?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:00 pm

noleisthebest wrote:T, how did you come to choose your Yonex?

I hated yonex shape at first (Navratilova time).....despite recognising it was a racquet that made shots "easy". I think it was Stan who went from Head to Yonex that pushed me into trying a more powerful racquet....So I did try and felt it was indeed more comfy and powerful than Head. I do like them a lot now.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:07 pm

Yes, Babolat is similar in shape.
I was thinking about a Wilson model, but don't know which one.
I tried a Prince one with a similar shape to Wilson. Those racquets are so different.
But strings and tension are the main part, and I don't know much about it, it all sounds theoretical until I try them.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:52 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Yes, Babolat is similar in shape.
I was thinking about a Wilson model, but don't know which one.
I tried a Prince one with a similar shape to Wilson. Those racquets are so different.
But strings and tension are the main part, and I don't know much about it, it all sounds theoretical until I try them.

I heard from many coaches, that Babolat rackets are the most comfy from all the rackets. I personally consider them as "dullish" as if they were made from bakelite. So, definitely no Babolat for me  Winking 

When choosing racket it is neccessary to consider mainly balance and stiffness. Just to avoid an elbow trouble  it is better to take rackets with balance more than 320mm and with a medium stiffness. The size of frame depends on your game style and on SHB/DHB especially. You can tune the racket balance by pasting weight belts on frame. If you need more control than power then prefer high dense strings and vice versa. The best way is to borrow as many rackets as you can and just try them step by step. Once I tried ten rackets en bloc,  but didn't choose none anyway. I would say rather lighter and with a balance into head, especially for woman.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum