Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
ATP 250: Estoril, Munich EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
ATP 250: Estoril, Munich EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
ATP 250: Estoril, Munich EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
ATP 250: Estoril, Munich EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
ATP 250: Estoril, Munich EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
ATP 250: Estoril, Munich EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
ATP 250: Estoril, Munich EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
ATP 250: Estoril, Munich EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
ATP 250: Estoril, Munich EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

ATP 250: Estoril, Munich

5 posters

Go down

ATP 250: Estoril, Munich Empty ATP 250: Estoril, Munich

Post by noleisthebest Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:30 pm

....or Lull before the storm!

We are now in the final week of April and just a week away from two main Masters 1000 tournaments on clay - Madrid and Rome.

Federer is still practising and clay-match free, Murray has disappeared into a black hole, Djokovic, now that Serbian Open is no more, probably also practising but in Monte Carlo, and Nadal....who knows!

So, we are travelling to Portugal and Germany and hope to see some good clay tennis there in the coming days.

250 Portugal Open (Oeiras, fomerly known as Estoril)

"The Portugal Open began as an ATP event in 1990, and became a combined men's and women's tournament in 1998 – making it one of only four European spring clay court stops (also Roland Garros, Rome, Madrid) to feature both tours playing side-by-side. Four former World No. 1s have won the Portugal Open: Thomas Muster, Carlos Moya, Juan Carlos Ferrero and Roger Federer."

I do feel a bit nostalgic. This used to be where Federer would have his clay preparation in the past.

Players: Ferrere, Wawrinka, Seppi, Fognini, Benneteau, Paire, Zeballos, Robredo

The Draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/468/mds.pdf

Order of Play:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/468/op.pdf

250 Munich (BMW Open)

"The BMW Open is the first of five German tournaments on the 2011 ATP World Tour calendar, contested in Bavaria’s picturesque capital city of Munich. The International Tennis Championships of Bavaria was first held in 1900, but the BMW Open was first staged at Munich’s Iphitos Tennis Club in 1974. Germans have won the title five times since then, most recently Philipp Kohlschreiber in 2007 and 2012."

Players: Tipsarevic, Cilic, Haas, Dolgopolov, Kohlschreiber, Mayer, Youzhny, Baghdatis, Monfils, Melzer, Gulbis, Nieminen, Davydenko

The Draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/308/mds.pdf

Order of Play:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/308/op.pdf

ATP 250: Estoril, Munich Gl_g_clayts_576

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yPtuLeAppI

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

ATP 250: Estoril, Munich Empty Re: ATP 250: Estoril, Munich

Post by noleisthebest Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:49 pm

Monday matches of interest:

Paire-Sijsling
Davydenko-Dodig

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks NITB. Good summary of that coming week. No much to get excited again unfortaunately.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Tenez wrote:Thanks NITB. Good summary of that coming week. No much to get excited again unfortaunately.

You can say that again...

Quiet day today, yet Davydenko managed to get knocked out in his first match.
I saw most of Paire-Sisjling 2nd set and enjoyed it (Paire won in straights), it was a weird match with literally maximum 10 people in the stands, Paire wearing a blue hoodie and both players playing minimum effort tennis: all kinds of shots with not a lot of strategy, but it was a nice break from the usual bashing and intensity.

More interesting matches tomorrow, in Munich:

10 AM
Stepanek-Youzhny
Gulbis-Nieminen
Dolgopolov-Strakhovski
Monfils-Melzer

Nothing very exciting in Estoril as they are trying to catch up with today's schedule due to bad weather.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:48 pm

In fact the most exciting thing coming this week is the Madrid draw on Friday. ..Or is it? I do remember a very late draw out last year....or was it Madrid?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:00 pm

Tenez wrote:In fact the most exciting thing coming this week is the Madrid draw on Friday. ..Or is it? I do remember a very late draw out last year....or was it Madrid?

Sad/funny but true!
I still hope we see some good matches this week, Gulbis is through after beating Nieminen today, and Paire could win his first tournament!

Still, nothing beats the full field in action, and we haven't had that since IW where Federer played injured and Larry laid the real blue clay surface for Nadal... so Madrid can't come quick enough!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm

Youzhny lost to Stepanek in three sets yesterday, yet he still managed to have some "fun" :
http://instagram.com/p/Yu9TIlFcOj/

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Tomorrow in Munich:

Dodig-Cilic
Kohlschreiber-Korolev
Dolgopolov-Tursunov
Troicki-Stepanek

Estoril late, as usual....

Paire-Hanescu
Ferrer-Vasselin
Lorenzi-Fognini ...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed May 01, 2013 4:08 pm

Didn't see any matches today, but Dodig, Kohlschreibr, Dolgopolov and Troicki through in Munich.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Tomorrow's matches of interest (pretty lean for a Thursday Sad ....):

Haas-Gulbis (12.25 PM)
Ramos-Wawrinka (2.50)
Falla-Seppi

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu May 02, 2013 5:03 pm

Another slowish day in the world of tennis, in Munich
Haas handled Gubis in three sets,
Mayer def Matosevic, also in 3
Tipsarevic look he's on his way of finishing Zemlja off in straight sets and Monfils Brands starting now

In Estoril, Ramos-Wawsrinka looking interesting, Ramos breadsticked Stan in the first set and the opposite happining in the second...
Elieas (whoever that is) def Istomin, Haase- Robredo starting now, too.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu May 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Madrid draw coming out at 5.30 tomorrow.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu May 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Tomorrow in Munich (starting at 10.00 AM UK time)

Dolgopolov-Dodig
F. Mayer-Haas
Kohlschreiber-Troicki
Tipsarevic-Brands

In Estoril (NB 12. 50)

Elias-Wawrinka
Ferrer-Hanescu
Busta-Fognini
Seppi-Robredo

If I could mix and match all these players and make two decent matches, I'd go for
Dolgopolov-Fognini
Wawrinka-Kohlschreiber

Even Haas-Ferrer could be interesting, too, but as things stand... Sad

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 03, 2013 11:11 am

Some good tennis being played between Dolgopolov and Dodig atm.

Dolgopolov's forehand on clay: a thing to behold!

still, it's Dodig who is serving for the match...and after hanging onto the edge of the cliff with some gutsy tennis as well as defending, Dolgo lets go....
Dodig through to the SF.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri May 03, 2013 11:37 am

noleisthebest wrote:Tomorrow in Munich (starting at 10.00 AM UK time)

Dolgopolov-Dodig
F. Mayer-Haas
Kohlschreiber-Troicki
Tipsarevic-Brands

In Estoril (NB 12. 50)

Elias-Wawrinka
Ferrer-Hanescu
Busta-Fognini
Seppi-Robredo

If I could mix and match all these players and make two decent matches, I'd go for
Dolgopolov-Fognini
Wawrinka-Kohlschreiber

Even Haas-Ferrer could be interesting, too, but as things stand... ATP 250: Estoril, Munich 1371890812

The sad thing about all those talented players is that no-one really cares cause we want them to be measured against the best players, top players shoudl I say, and those are not playing this week.

As Borg said, in sport, it's all about being number one.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri May 03, 2013 11:54 am

tenez do you see any of the guys who are say 24-28 and above making any in roads this year? e.g. a tsonga, berdych, delpo, dolgo, wawrinka, gasquet, fognini, bellucci, gulbis, cilic etc

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Tenez wrote:

The sad thing about all those talented players is that no-one really cares cause we want them to be measured against the best players, top players shoudl I say, and those are not playing this week.

As Borg said, in sport, it's all about being number one.

May be, but I think it's a bit harsh, well, at least as far as I am concerned (I suppose the fact that almost nobody is commenting on this thread supports your theory).

I think tennis is one sport where being number one fortunately is not the ultimate reason for watching it compared to, say, athletics where all the glory almost always goes exclusively to the winner.

The fact that I took upon myself to follow all these ATP tournaments every week, and it's been nearly a whole year now, made me learn a thing or two more about some players, see them play their best tennis and express themselves fully, which we/they rarely have the opportunity to see/do in slams or big ATP tournaments.

The only trouble is that not all those players are watchable as some are not that talented, which is where my moan came from originally and why I wanted to mix them up and make more watchable combinations.

Usually, towards the end of the week during 250 tournaments, there are some decent matches, but not this time, although Dolgo Dodig last 5-6 games I saw were excellent, proper human clay tennis and two great contrasting styles evenly matched.

It's a shame more people don't enjoy those tournaments, you can see it by (half)empty stands, too, but am sure there are a lot of fans around the world behind computers who virtualy fill those stands watching the matches through those dodgy streams Winking

For example, if I hadn't been following Serbian Open last year, I would have probably not "discovered" Paire and enjoyed his tennis ever since.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri May 03, 2013 1:45 pm

luvsports! wrote:tenez do you see any of the guys who are say 24-28 and above making any in roads this year? e.g. a tsonga, berdych, delpo, dolgo, wawrinka, gasquet, fognini, bellucci, gulbis, cilic etc

First I woudl not put Delpo in the same bag as the others. I can see the others upsetting the top 4 once in a while and even reaching finals but winning a slams...don't think so. Delpo is however a different animal. He has the weapons and stamina to really do more damage than the others. Bar injury I see Delpo in the top 3 soon.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri May 03, 2013 2:17 pm

noleisthebest wrote:May be, but I think it's a bit harsh, well, at least as far as I am concerned (I suppose the fact that almost nobody is commenting on this thread supports your theory).

I think in the past there was more room for discussion between the top 10 players. We could discuss how Rios Medvedev, Goran coudl easily beat Agassi and Pete on a good day for instance. But since tennis has become that physical, I do not see the point of discussing how great Almagro's shots are if he can only last 3 games. We relentltessly get the top 4 in finals cause 3 of them are ridiculously fit and they are in a league which cannot be compared with the others.

It's no different that boxing in fact nowadays. Heavyweights are simply in a league of their own. And in tennis it is the heavyweight matches we want to see....even if what Dolgo or Wawrinka do with the ball is more impressive than what Djoko and Murray do with it.

If they have enough talent to outplay those top players for 3 sets like Federer used to do, then it's admirable but so far only Federer coudl beat them but he is getting old unfortunately.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Tenez wrote:
I think in the past there was more room for discussion between the top 10 players. We could discuss how Rios Medvedev, Goran coudl easily beat Agassi and Pete on a good day for instance. But since tennis has become that physical, I do not see the point of discussing how great Almagro's shots are if he can only last 3 games. We relentltessly get the top 4 in finals cause 3 of them are ridiculously fit and they are in a league which cannot be compared with the others.

It's no different that boxing in fact nowadays. Heavyweights are simply in a league of their own. And in tennis it is the heavyweight matches we want to see....even if what Dolgo or Wawrinka do with the ball is more impressive than what Djoko and Murray do with it.

If they have enough talent to outplay those top players for 3 sets like Federer used to do, then it's admirable but so far only Federer coudl beat them but he is getting old unfortunately.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing here.

The point I was trying to make was that from a tennis fan's perspective: I don't need top 4 players in the tournament in order to be interested in watching the matches, for me the tour is interesting to follow all year round, not just during 1000 Masters events and slams.

I do like the element of winning, as do the rest which is why we all support one of the very top players. But that's far from everything. The more players you "know", the more interesting it becomes.

Now, unless Novak is playing, I really don't care who wins a match (of course there are players I watch purely because I want them to lose EVERY time), now that's about max 70-80 matches a year, and I certainly see a lot more than that, although inevitably I end up supporting one player over the other, sometimes it changes several times in a match, in fact.

As for players themselves, they are all professionals, and to them it's a job. They all know their limitations and although they all may dream of winning a slam, I am pretty sure most are happy to make a bit of money out of it without suffering too much whether or not they won a slam, Davydenko is first that comes to mind in that regard, Berdych and loads of others. Some are just happy they have a good life and that's about it.

Others who manage to break through to the top, it's a different story. To them money at one stage probably becomes irrelevant and all they care for is winning, chasing the glory.

AS for competition, my illustration would be comparing opposition to a wall, the higher the ranking, the better the wall, i.e the ball comes back more. In case of Federer, that wall moves forward/closer to you as well.

When the "rest" face a top 4-5 player they know what's in store and many give up before it's started, especially now when the physical standards have gone up so much and attacking tennis has lost edge due to playing conditions.

When top 4/5 "walls" face off they either beat one another by outlasting or outplaying each other.

Same is for the below top 4/5 players when they face each other. Because the physical edge is not that prevalent, their matches can be really good to watch, much better and more interesting that the very top players sometimes.

So the only discrepancy is the very top against the rest.

But for a tennis fan, there is plenty to enjoy if winning is not the only thing they want to see.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri May 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Well...yes tennis can always be watchable. Even at club level so even more so when 2 very talented players, or even just one, is playing. What I find difficult nowadays is to actually watch 2nd rate tournaments, especially if the men to beat are to around. I could watch any tennis for ever...just now I find it a bit harder.

But fortuantely some are taking over and fill the stands. It's very important for the players, the tour, and the future of tennis.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 03, 2013 10:17 pm

OK then: for the empty stands, and the odd addict/saddo here and there, here are tomorrow's matches:

Munich (12.30):
Haas-Dodig
Brands-Kohlschreiber

Estoril (10.55, yes, they love their weird time there)

Busta (yes, Busta!) - Wawrinka
Ferrer-Seppi

Enjoy! Whistle

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri May 03, 2013 11:19 pm

come on haas, kohly, stan and seppi (as i think stan can finally break his tournament drought!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat May 04, 2013 1:58 am

luvsports! wrote:come on haas, kohly, stan and seppi
Exactly smiley

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sat May 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Haas through. A good performance and he should win this title now. He is capable of beating both Brands and Kohli. So this is now his title to lose. I hope he wins instead.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat May 04, 2013 5:57 pm

So tomorrow in Munich we have the dream final between two local heros:

12.00 PM

Haas- Kohlschreiber

A notable mention of Daniel Brands who seems to have played his heartout against Kholi, and lost in the third set tie-break Applause

In Estoril,

2.30 PM

Ferrer- Wawrinka

so we have two finals and 3 single bakchands, nice Big Grin

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sat May 04, 2013 6:25 pm

Would prefer haas but dont mind if kohly wins but massively routing for stan the man over boring snorefest ferrer.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat May 04, 2013 10:12 pm

luvsports! wrote:Would prefer haas but dont mind if kohly wins but massively routing for stan the man over boring snorefest ferrer.
Hah, you are making it easy for me; do not need to write it out; just ditto whatever you say.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sat May 04, 2013 10:36 pm

haha smiley

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun May 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Haas wins in Munich in straight sets. I wanted Kohli to win Sad

I don's know why Stan & Ferru show has been delayed....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun May 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Stan Ferrer started in the meantime, Stan about to bagel Ferrer in the first set, I've got to see that!
Ferrer is not deliberately trying to drop his ranking for FO is he erm

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun May 05, 2013 4:16 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Stan Ferrer started in the meantime, Stan about to bagel Ferrer in the first set, I've got to see that!
Ferrer is not deliberately trying to drop his ranking for FO is he ATP 250: Estoril, Munich 1564925666
This match has no bearing on Ferrer's ranking.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun May 05, 2013 4:31 pm

come on stan!!!!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun May 05, 2013 4:34 pm

summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Stan Ferrer started in the meantime, Stan about to bagel Ferrer in the first set, I've got to see that!
Ferrer is not deliberately trying to drop his ranking for FO is he ATP 250: Estoril, Munich 1564925666
This match has no bearing on Ferrer's ranking.

surely a win could cement him as number 4 for FO.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun May 05, 2013 4:41 pm

noleisthebest wrote:surely a win could cement him as number 4 for FO.
No. His worst countable result is 250 points already; so even if he won today, this tournament would be uncountable for him.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun May 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Well done Stan, that was pretty smooth sailing for him all the way. Two clay tournaments and two SHBH winners - sweet. smiley

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun May 05, 2013 4:44 pm

And Stan The Man does it in some style Magic Applause
He will be tough to beat in Madrid, which is why he is not in Nadal's but is in Novak's quarter.....

Stan's forehand has really improved!!!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun May 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Stan does it and what a sight it was. Well played and some awesome tennis.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun May 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Ferrer has been having strange results recently. He used to be much stronger just a couple months ago.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon May 06, 2013 3:06 am

Tenez wrote:Ferrer has been having strange results recently. He used to be much stronger just a couple months ago.

ha ha.. Maybe his doctor has retired with immediate effect. I'm expecting him to lose early even in Madrid.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum