Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July

+7
bogbrush
Slippy
legendkillar
N2D2L
Daniel2
Emancipator
barrystar
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July Empty Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July

Post by barrystar Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:37 am

Second Monday - the best day of the tournament.  The only day at any of the Slams when each side of the Men's and Women's draws are scheduled to be started and finished together.  The day when the tournament usually takes real shape and the giant-killing runs are ended or take on much greater signficance.  For my money, the best day for a ticket - along perhaps with the Mens QF on Wednesday.

So what do we have...

The Big three grinding their way through this draw, Federer & Nadal on CC and Djokovic on No. 1 - none of them look remotely threatened on paper - the opponents Berrettini (#20), Sousa (#69), and Humbert (#66) have done well this tournament, but should not trouble them - Fed's opponent is much the toughest in theory....

Kvitová makes it to CC, her opponent being a Brit of course (Konta), and we see Williams S on No. 1 building up momentum nicely, along with Gauff probably facing the end of her fairy-tail run vs. Halep - perhaps the most interesting match on the show courts today, or indeed any court.  Barty & Pliskova will hope to continue their steady work, each on No. 2, as is the person seeded to meet Fed in the QF, Nishikori.

The blood doesn't rush, but none of those are bad tickets and, as I have said before, the Women's draw is setting up well.

Goffin v. Verdasco on No. 3 would be an interesting 2nd round match at a Masters, but we are R4 at Wimbledon.  Perhaps Raonic is the strongest contender outside the Big 3 (I know), and he plays Pella on No. 3.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July

Post by Emancipator Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:26 am

I think Berrettini has a chance. He is 10-1 on grass so far this year. The other 2 are hopeless. Djokovic has had the easiest draw in living memory.. 

This is looking like a Nadal-Djokovic final with the latter thrashing the former most likely. They used to call this lawn tennis. Sadly it plays like a medium paced HC. Federer has no chance of hitting through the 2 ultimate retrievers.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 7, Monday 8th July

Post by barrystar Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:34 am

Emancipator wrote:I think Berrettini has a chance. He is 10-1 on grass so far this year. The other 2 are hopeless. Djokovic has had the easiest draw in living memory.. 

This is looking like a Nadal-Djokovic final with the latter thrashing the former most likely. They used to call this lawn tennis. Sadly it plays like a medium paced HC. Federer has no chance of hitting through the 2 ultimate retrievers.

Agree with all of that, except I don't have Nadal thrashing Djoko, I have the latter as my favourite to win a fairly tight slugfest.

* just seen - I got 'latter' muddled up, and I find myself in entire agreement with emancipator!

Last edited by barrystar on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cock up)

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Bloody hell. This Sousa is beyond useless. Even his grunting sounds weak and pathetic.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:27 pm

barrystar wrote:
Emancipator wrote:I think Berrettini has a chance. He is 10-1 on grass so far this year. The other 2 are hopeless. Djokovic has had the easiest draw in living memory.. 

Agree with all of that, except I don't have Nadal thrashing Djoko, I have the latter as my favourite to win a fairly tight slugfest.

Yeah probably. If steely-eyed Screech turns up I'd expect a fairly routine win. If it's the shaky version of recent months then probably a tight slugfest as you say.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel2 Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Pathetic player.  Pathetic draw.  Worst of all, Fed will face an inform Nishikori who will likely knacker him  out - and Federer stupidly entered French Open, handing the psychological advantage back to the one trick pony.

Daniel2

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:29 pm

Can you imagine a Spanish CC like Sousa even getting this far in days gone by. Amazing really. As expected he's bending over with cheeks parted against his compatriot.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:30 pm

LOL, a Nadal DF, the most exciting point of the set.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

This Sousa guy must be the evolution of tennis that Tenez keeps telling us about.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Sousa isn't Spanish

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:33 pm

Daniel2 wrote:Pathetic player.  Pathetic draw.  Worst of all, Fed will face an inform Nishikori who will likely knacker him  out - and Federer stupidly entered French Open, handing the psychological advantage back to the one trick pony.

Agree, that was always a pointless exercise in vanity. Now Nadal has no fear of him at all. On this slow court he's probably gonna demolish him.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Emancipator wrote:
Daniel2 wrote:Pathetic player.  Pathetic draw.  Worst of all, Fed will face an inform Nishikori who will likely knacker him  out - and Federer stupidly entered French Open, handing the psychological advantage back to the one trick pony.

Agree, that was always a pointless exercise in vanity. Now Nadal has no fear of him at all. On this slow court he's probably gonna demolish him.

I think Fed played because he loves Paris, like the other slams.  I don't think that the win in Paris will have a major bearing on a likely SF here.  Nadal has improved since 2017, and is in good physical nick, whereas I don't think Fed has.

So boring watching Nadal pummel Sousa - like an unpleasant child taking the legs and wings off a fly, slowly.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:39 pm

I didn't think Wimbledon could play as unbearably slow as the FO! I mean courts are beyond slow. This is just pathetic from Wimbledon. Seeing 30 shot rallies doesn't have any business on a grass court!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:42 pm

It's slow and low bouncing, like the indoor hard courts of o2 and Paris Masters.
It's perfect for Djokovic.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:47 pm

legendkillar wrote:

I didn't think Wimbledon could play as unbearably slow as the FO! I mean courts are beyond slow. This is just pathetic from Wimbledon. Seeing 30 shot rallies doesn't have any business on a grass court!

Totally agree. It's seems almost impossible to hit a winner.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:48 pm

Also the organisers. How has a 15 year old unseeded player had more show court time than the Women's No.1?!?

Has to be the worst Wimbledon I can remember.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:49 pm

barrystar wrote:
Emancipator wrote:

I think Fed played because he loves Paris, like the other slams.  I don't think that the win in Paris will have a major bearing on a likely SF here.  Nadal has improved since 2017, and is in good physical nick, whereas I don't think Fed has.

So boring watching Nadal pummel Sousa - like an unpleasant child taking the legs and wings off a fly, slowly.

He looks a little bit like a fly too.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:55 pm

legendkillar wrote:Also the organisers. How has a 15 year old unseeded player had more show court time than the Women's No.1?!?

Agree. Ridiculous scheduling. Why the hell is she even on the show courts? A 300 ranked player. That privilege should be earned. Not bestowed upon because you're a supposedly precocious talent.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:58 pm

WRT the women's draw I'm predicting a Williams vs Ova final  Big Grin

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Emancipator wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Also the organisers. How has a 15 year old unseeded player had more show court time than the Women's No.1?!?

Agree. Ridiculous scheduling. Why the hell is she even on the show courts? A 300 ranked player. That privilege should be earned. Not bestowed upon because you're a supposedly precocious talent.

Because she's a teen sensation who might win Wimbledon

It's truly ridiculous they are trying to position that as the highlight of the tournament.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:59 pm

I've noticed a lot of politicians even in the UK tweeting support of her

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:01 pm

DEC1M8 wrote:I've noticed a lot of politicians even in the UK tweeting support of her

She'll join Extinction Rebellion!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:03 pm

How on Earth did this guy make the 4rth rd at W?

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:04 pm

Tragic.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:04 pm

The Pliskova vs. Muchova match is not bad.  Bit of interest, decent play, and no noise.  What's not to like?

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Has Sousa done anything remotely exciting? Apart from showing up?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:45 pm

legendkillar wrote:Has Sousa done anything remotely exciting? Apart from showing up?

A bit late handing over the regulation early break of serve in the third (and final) set - he waited until his third service game.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:46 pm

barrystar wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Has Sousa done anything remotely exciting? Apart from showing up?

A bit late handing over the regulation early break of serve in the third (and final) set - he waited until his third service game.

Well he's exceeded expectations in that regard.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:50 pm

This has been a fairly enjoyable match if one where there is only ever going to be one winner. Some terrific rallies and Sousa has a pleasant all court game. 

Rafa looks worryingly confident though. I’d have had Fed fairly comfortable favourite against him a few days ago. Not so sure now.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:59 pm

Halep v. Gauff is very good - Gauff's court coverage is extraordinary, and her shot selection is mature for a youngster.  Halep is playing quietly.

Sadly the break of service came courtesy of a duff call - Gauff's shot was in, called out and corrected but she had to replay the point.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:12 pm

DEC1M8 wrote:It's slow and low bouncing, like the indoor hard courts of o2 and Paris Masters.
It's perfect for Djokovic.
Came on, it's bouncing high. Becker and McEnroe were saying this the other night.

Your man simply couldn't hope for better.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:16 pm

Bogbrush do you reckon Nadal would have a chance against Djokovic?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:50 pm

DEC1M8 wrote:Bogbrush do you reckon Nadal would have a chance against Djokovic?
This year? Yes, I think he has a good shot at him. 2nd favourite for sure but he has a chance.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:53 pm

Pliskova v. Muchova may be about to make history with a 12-12 tie-breaker.  Currently 9-9 final set and games going with serve.

Unsurprisingly, Halep was quite a lot too good for Gauff after a good first set.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:24 pm

Come on Humbert !!!

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:05 pm

I have the feeling it is not going to be easy for Federer.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:07 pm

Federer starting well. Berrettini not posing much of threat early on.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:19 pm

Berrettini hits a good weight of ball - more than Humbert or Sousa, but he had no game head on at all for that first set, which contributed to many clunky errors.  I can't see that he'll continue to be so bemused at what is coming back at him.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:38 pm

Berrettini was complaining he couldn't see the ball earlier. Here's a clue mate. It's that round yellow thing.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Fed is playing a plonker here. You'd never guess this guy has ever played tennis!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:40 pm

Fed not really having to do anything, just watching his opponent implode.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:41 pm

It's like watching Tomic, but with a little more effort.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:43 pm

I know Sousa took a bashing on here, but Berrettini is borderline disgraceful.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:44 pm

Raonic looking like he is in the shit against Pella. 

The draw keeps on giving.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:45 pm

Apparently Berrettini spoke with Djokovic's strategist. Won't be doing that in a hurry me thinks.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:49 pm

That point demonstrates how pathetic this has become. He might as well shake hands at the net.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Raonic escaped a BP and broke Pella and now serving for the match.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:56 pm

This guy is like Mr Bean!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Poor guy, he’s playing really badly, his head has gone, and he’s getting the rough end of the bounces now.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:58 pm

I guess Berrettini is giving Federer an easy read of his serve, thus negating the massive speed.  Even on the rare occasions when Berrettini stays in the point Federer does something absurd like that lob volley on the line.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next