Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
OTF - Our Thinking Forum EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
OTF - Our Thinking Forum EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
OTF - Our Thinking Forum EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
OTF - Our Thinking Forum EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
OTF - Our Thinking Forum EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
OTF - Our Thinking Forum EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
OTF - Our Thinking Forum EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
OTF - Our Thinking Forum EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
OTF - Our Thinking Forum EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

OTF - Our Thinking Forum

3 posters

Go down

OTF - Our Thinking Forum Empty OTF - Our Thinking Forum

Post by noleisthebest Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 am

T. Edison:

“Five percent of the people think; 
ten percent of the people think they think; 
and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”

Discuss.

ps

I thought we could have a thinking thread here...be a bit creative.

Humour, poetry, own theories...what's happening, what's going to happen kind of thing...

Leave your pride and PC shoes outside the door.

Nobody knows everything! 

(except Daniel Winking )

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

OTF - Our Thinking Forum Empty Re: OTF - Our Thinking Forum

Post by legendkillar Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:09 am

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest this is partly born out if the recent debate that erupted on the Nastase/Williams/Konta saga.

I am all for creative thinking. However more from a perception aspect. How people see life and it's environment and surroundings. Philosophies essentially. I like how a way of life or philosophy can help one achieve a more spiritual connection with themselves.

To quote one of my favourite poets:

"The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see nature all ridicule and deformity...and some scarce see nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, nature is imagination itself."

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:23 am

No, I was just listening to someone who quoted Edison.

I was intrigued by the numbers.

For most of my life I lived with the notion of "the other 80%".

Then recently a friend mentioned that there is only 10% of thinking people.

But I agree with Edison...it's probably only 5%.

That has at least been my experience.

And it fascinates me why it is such a small number.

I get your point about all of us seeing things differently...but that is not the same as having the thirst for truth.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:51 am

But truth and creative are 2 different things....

Almost like a platform to spout accusations without any real substance.

Re: Edison. I think the quote essentially was in context of people not maximising their cognitive ability. Dare I say this isn't anything to do with trying to establish truth.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:34 pm

The idea is to question things, not for the sake of questioning or self-gloating, but to find truth.

The opposite is not to question anything, anesthetise the mind, morals, etc...and slowly die.

I dunno, I've had that urge ever since I can remember.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:00 pm

Depends on what truth it is you are trying seek. Relating to the quote I posted, it's the equivalent of taking two people to look at tree and ask what they see.

My urge or should I say my natural curiosity has always been to see beyond what is in front of me. Take the blandness out of things. Go by instinct rather than instruction.

I don't watch the news. I find that my happiness levels increased as a result. All I saw was doom and gloom and mass hysteria and getting caught up in emotions with things I had no control over. Didn't see I needed to keep wasting my life like that.

My family find me weird because I will go out on long walks into green fields and try to find the furthest horizon to stare behind. I have to say part of me when I stand in an empty field and look across the horizon thinks "hundreds of years ago this was the norm" as in beauty like that was global. I watch wildlife in all it's glory and fascinates me to watch other animals completely embrace their own environment.

I enjoy writing down thoughts, stories, poems. Anything that takes me out of the reality I exist in. I hope that my children will embrace that similarly. Though I wouldn't think any less of them if they didn't.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:37 pm

You also go and mow the law of you in-laws every weekend like a little puppy, but still we accept you as you are  Big Grin

You be good dady one day smiley

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:30 pm

legendkillar wrote:Depends on what truth it is you are trying seek. Relating to the quote I posted, it's the equivalent of taking two people to look at tree and ask what they see.

My urge or should I say my natural curiosity has always been to see beyond what is in front of me. Take the blandness out of things. Go by instinct rather than instruction.

I don't watch the news. I find that my happiness levels increased as a result. All I saw was doom and gloom and mass hysteria and getting caught up in emotions with things I had no control over. Didn't see I needed to keep wasting my life like that.

My family find me weird because I will go out on long walks into green fields and try to find the furthest horizon to stare behind. I have to say part of me when I stand in an empty field and look across the horizon thinks "hundreds of years ago this was the norm" as in beauty like that was global. I watch wildlife in all it's glory and fascinates me to watch other animals completely embrace their own environment.

I enjoy writing down thoughts, stories, poems. Anything that takes me out of the reality I exist in. I hope that my children will embrace that similarly. Though I wouldn't think any less of them if they didn't.
That is the whole point!

Will your chkdren have a meadow & fields to walk through and time to sit and stare.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Well they might do should people stop multiplying at an alarming rate!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri May 05, 2017 8:41 am

http://www.cambridgeblog.org/2017/04/celebrating-national-poetry-month-200-years-since-poems-by-john-keats/

Fascinating read I have to say. I wish there was this artistic undercurrent today in such times.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 05, 2017 8:55 am

Hehe, I actually studied English language and literature (as well as world literature), poetry being my mode of expression and a soothing way of relating to world...

I concluded though that there is no poetry in English language.

Yes, I know there are many well known poems.

But for me, no poetry. It is too rational & earthly, verbose and just like its people - beats about the bush...
Does not go beyond 3d. No element of quantum which is the essence of poetry.

I know poetry won't fill one's stomach but for me it's kind of the last bastion of keeping alive.

I almost think there is such a thing as a gene of poetry.

It is interesting how various nations/languages express themselves through poetry.

The more complex the grammar - the better it is. 

And generally not very long.

The unsaid says more than words...as the main task and burden of a poet is to express/unload the unatterable.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri May 05, 2017 11:57 am

Depends if you define poetry as planned constructed body of work or just a random chaotic burst of inspiration.

Good poetry grabs for you that split second and captivates you and makes you question what you ever knew of this life and takes you away from being you.

It's a dying art for sure.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 05, 2017 12:22 pm

There is absolutely nothing "constructed" and "planned" in poetry...that's prose.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri May 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Maybe not in it's conception, but certainly around it's shaping for sure. Read many works which to have read like they've been imposed upon the body of work. Anyone who's anyone has conceived an ideal and at times not ended up with the outcome they expected.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 05, 2017 12:46 pm

No, not at all. Poetry is like the wind. Nobody knows where it's come and where it will go.

The person whose pen it pours out of is just a vessel.

Everything else is just decorating and frills of various thoughts and emotions.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri May 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Centuries ago I would share that notion. Purely because of the under-developed nature of the English language. Now, even when I write I find it difficult to truly accept that what I have written was born out of pure inspiration.

Past poetry I love. The language certainly had a purity about it. Nowadays I find it difficult find the same joy with today's poets.

Like any form of artistry. You know that feeling when you reach a point when you just start looking backwards over what has felt a progressive journey.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum