Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:25 am by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name?

+3
bogbrush
Tenez
noleisthebest
7 posters

Go down

Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name?

federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? Vote_lcap33%federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 2 ]
federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? Vote_lcap67%federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? Vote_rcap 67% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 6

federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? Empty Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name?

Post by noleisthebest Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:45 pm

federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? 08cnd-men2_600

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? Empty Re: Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name?

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:49 am

If he wins Wimbledon an 8th time maybe ....but I don;t think Wimbledon will give their courts a players name. Not the mindset...and I kind of agree.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

federer - Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name? Empty Re: Should Centre Court Bear Federer's Name?

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:52 am

I know they won't. 

But I would.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:18 am

And why I think so:

Because the thought of Federer is now more inspirational than any history Wimbledon has to offer.

I wouldn't "die" if Wimbledon "retired"...but whed Federer goes...

Anyway.

I never thought about this much, just read a commemt on a serbian website yesterday where someone said that Federer plays as if the game was made/invented for him.

And that got me thinking...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:40 am

No, because nobody - even the Maestro - is bigger than Wimbledon. One day there might even be a more virtuous player, and what do we do then?

Certainly happy with some other notable recognition.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:50 am

I don't mind courts and trophies being named after players- to remember them.  But it should be done after they retire at the very least. It doesn't matter either way.  Actually, maybe I am more against it than for it.  When a new court comes available - or a new stadium - maybe then.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:55 am

I agree that someone more talented might....in fact will come up. well not sure about talented but one with close talent and better (or updated technique) or simply completely brand new unheard of weapons.

I doubt we will be able to reproduce the 7 or 9 slams wins in a single slam. As everybody becomes very professional, those things are going to be impossible to reproduce.....though I had said that of Borg's 6 FOs.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:00 am

Tenez wrote:I agree that someone more talented might....in fact will come up. well not sure about talented  but one with close talent and better (or updated technique) or simply completely brand new unheard of weapons.

I doubt we will be able to reproduce the 7 or 9 slams wins in a single slam. As everybody becomes very professional, those things are going to be impossible to reproduce.....though I had said that of Borg's 6 FOs.

I disagree.

I think he is a one off.

The combination of what he has is too striking and unique.

Like there will never be another Mozart. Elvises, Beatles-es yes...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:04 am

Having said that I am not a fan of " the game or the tournament is bigger than the players" argument. Purely cause players and tournaments are interchangeable. A tournament owes everything to the prestigious players who played on it....and won it. Look at the Davis Cup how quickly it could lose its shine if only Brl players were fighting for it. Look at what happened to doubles which used to be much more prestigious in the past.

So for me a player can be equally as big as a tournament. ....for a certain period at least....then sure another player will take over.

For now I think for instance that OSullivan is bigger than snooker. Without him tournaments lose all their shine.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:13 am

... wrote:
Tenez wrote:I agree that someone more talented might....in fact will come up. well not sure about talented  but one with close talent and better (or updated technique) or simply completely brand new unheard of weapons.

I disagree.

I think he is a one off.

Many prefer Bethoven, Vivaldi, or Shubert...etc to Mozart. And Mozart is mostly known to the West. Ask Indians, Japanese or Chinese people who they think is the greatest musician talent and they might come with very different names, most you would not have heard of even.

Everything evolves on this planet. Talent included. Most of us did not think McEnroe's talent could be surpassed. Now I would compare him to Olivier Rochus's talent more or less (no kidding).

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:34 am

Tenez wrote:Having said that I am not a fan of " the game or the tournament is bigger than the players" argument. Purely cause players and tournaments are interchangeable.  A tournament owes everything to the prestigious players who played on it....and won it. Look at the Davis Cup how quickly it could lose its shine if only Brl players were fighting for it. Look at what happened to doubles which used to be much more prestigious in the past.

So for me a player can be equally as big as a tournament. ....for a certain period at least....then sure another player will take over.

For now I think for instance that OSullivan is bigger than snooker. Without him tournaments lose all their shine.
I think a player can bestride a sport at a moment in time - as Woods did golf, for example - but in the long run no one player does that. Wimbledon really is Federer..... but it's also Sampras, Borg, McEnroe, Becker (just), Laver, Perry, Renshaw, etc..... not to mention Navratilova, Williams(s), and the rest, and the future greats.

I could very much go for the Federer gates or some such accolade based on an important part of the infrastucture - the doors onto Centre for example, or the balcony for showing off the trophy, but the Court is the Court.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Tenez wrote:
... wrote:
I disagree.
I think he is a one off.
Many prefer Bethoven, Vivaldi, or Shubert...etc to Mozart. And Mozart is mostly known to the West. Ask Indians, Japanese or Chinese people who they think is the greatest musician talent and they might come with very different names, most you would not have heard of even.

Everything evolves on this planet. Talent included. Most of us did not think McEnroe's talent could be surpassed. Now I would compare him to Olivier Rochus's talent more or less (no kidding).

This is where we differ.
I believe in the alpha and the omega. (At least in this life)
Everything has the beggining and the  end. And the peak somewhere in between.

Preferences and tastes are a diifferent matter altogether.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:56 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Tenez wrote:Having said that I am not a fan of " the game or the tournament is bigger than the players" argument. Purely cause players and tournaments are interchangeable.  A tournament owes everything to the prestigious players who played on it....and won it. Look at the Davis Cup how quickly it could lose its shine if only Brl players were fighting for it. Look at what happened to doubles which used to be much more prestigious in the past.

I think a player can bestride a sport at a moment in time - as Woods did golf, for example - but in the long run no one player does that. Wimbledon really is Federer..... but it's also Sampras, Borg, McEnroe, Becker (just), Laver, Perry, Renshaw, etc..... not to mention Navratilova, Williams(s), and the rest, and the future greats.

I could very much go for the Federer gates or some such accolade based on an important part of the infrastucture - the doors onto Centre for example, or the balcony for showing off the trophy, but the Court is the Court.

Yes, they are all important in the chain that led to Federer in whom I believe tennis has reached the peak & fulfilled itself.

We are beginning to see it now, in hindsight, although he is still playing.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:08 pm

I also think Centre Court should keep its name, but somehow have something of Federer in it.

Not sure what.

Maybe the final masters tournament could bear his name..
Stg like that...

His name has to be associated with the peak of excellence in tennis.

He is not of the greats.

He is above them all.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:27 pm

the problem with naming courts at wimbledon after players is that if we name 1 after federer,theres bound to be 1 named after murray
i would hate having to call a court at wimbledon murray more then i would love calling a court  federer
the numbers are better for now

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Veejay wrote:the problem with naming courts at wimbledon after players is that if we name 1 after federer,theres bound to be 1 named after murray
i would hate having to call a court at wimbledon murray more then i would love calling a court  federer
the numbers are better for now
I just threw up in my mouth.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:09 pm

No - it's a ridiculous idea. W is bigger than any single player and has been in existence for over a hundred years and will continue to exist long after Federer is supplanted as the GOAT.

These things are usually done for reasons of national pride and there's no scope for that here. If Basle were to name their main court after Federer that would make sense from this perspective.

Besides, Federer is not even W's greatest champion and despite being the darling of contemporary tennis, forty years from now, when the memory diminishes people will question why the honour was given to Federer and not someone else.

Last edited by TMF on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:12 pm

What.. like tennis racquet/rocket launcher hybrid? Winking

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:46 pm

TMF wrote:No - it's a ridiculous idea. W is bigger than any single player and has been in existence for over a hundred years and will continue to exist long after Federer is supplanted as the GOAT.

These things are usually done for reasons of national pride and there's no scope for that here. If Basle were to name their main court after Federer that would make sense from this perspective.

Besides, Federer is not even W's greatest champion and despite being the darling of contemporary tennis, forty years from now, when the memory diminishes people will question why the honour was given to Federer and not someone else.
i agree,naming courts would usually be a nationalistic thing 
i personally like the fact that wimbledon is the only slam that doesnt name their stadiums after a player
the tournament has such a rich history and will continue to have a rich history,its hard to place players there in terms of greatness cause every era has an all time wimbledon great

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:33 am

No.

I've never really been a fan of stadiums or courts if you were bearing names. The Louis Armstrong Stadium is as random as the statue of Michael Jackson outside Craven Cottage. Some things just don't go together.

In any case I would also believe that a any top elite athlete would rather be enshrined as a peer of their respective sport and have that as a legacy than just a token name on a stadium or court.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:00 pm

legendkillar wrote:No.

I've never really been a fan of stadiums or courts if you were bearing names. The Louis Armstrong Stadium is as random as the statue of Michael Jackson outside Craven Cottage. Some things just don't go together.

In any case I would also believe that a any top elite athlete would rather be enshrined as a peer of their respective sport and have that as a legacy than just a token name on a stadium or court.

I quite like Rod Laver Arena.

Remember one year, it must have been some special ceremony, he walked in and lifted the trophy proudly to all four sides of stadium.

I agree the names should not be given lightly.

I think it was on this occasion, but can't find the clip that shows that moment.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:20 pm

I always remember on 606v2 we were having a debate about the impact of age on a player (similar to what goes in here) and someone (was it legendkiller or another wag? observed from the clip above that Rod was hitting his backhand better than ever but admittedly he might have lost a step.

Took me a while to stop laughing at that one!

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down