Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Ivo Karlovic training sessions.... EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Ivo Karlovic training sessions.... EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Ivo Karlovic training sessions.... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Ivo Karlovic training sessions.... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Ivo Karlovic training sessions.... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Ivo Karlovic training sessions.... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Ivo Karlovic training sessions.... EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Ivo Karlovic training sessions.... EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Ivo Karlovic training sessions.... EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Ivo Karlovic training sessions....

3 posters

Go down

Ivo Karlovic training sessions.... Empty Ivo Karlovic training sessions....

Post by Tenez Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:49 am

Makes interesting reading.

MORE
Practice Anyone? Ivo Looks For A +1
ATP
ATP Staff
Feb 10, 2017 / Quito / 2017 / Player Features / Ivo Karlovic

Ivo Karlovic in action as top seed in Quito. © ATP 250 EcuadorOpen
Towering Croatian struggles for practice partners on tour
Ivo Karlovic approaches the practice desk at the Ecuador Open, writes his name with a blue pen on the sheet to book a court from 11.30-1.30, and specifies that he is looking for a practice partner.
He goes back to the hotel to sleep. Maybe when he returns to the Club Jacarandá, someone will have signed up to be his practice partner, so he can play some points. But when he gets back and checks the sheet, no one has written their name down next to his. In other columns he reads: Bellucci + Monteiro, Estrella + Zampieri, Cerratani + Oswald.
All the practice courts at 11.30 have at least two players booked in. All except for the court of the top seed in Quito. For the third time during his stay at the ATP World Tour 250 tournament - and for the thousandth time during his 17-year career - Karlovic must practise alone with his coach, the Serbian Petar Popovic.
He asks for three tubes of balls and walks towards practice court No. 7, while fans stare at him open-mouthed. Being 6'11" will cause that reaction. Once on the court, Ivo starts to warm up and Popovic gets on with his own routine, which he had when he competed on the ATP World Tour before retiring in 2008 at the age of 26.
"It's not that often that I get to practise with another player," explains Karlovic. "They don't really like to practise with me, but I don't have a problem with that. I have to see my coach almost every day on the other side of the net." Popovic laughs at his answer. They usually joke about this.
Almost no-one likes to hit with Karlovic because of his flat forehand, slice backhand and his lethal serve, which holds the record for more than 11,000 aces. While the majority of players look for consistency in points to build confidence, Karlovic tries to finish the points as quickly as possible. His style is uncomfortable. "They aren't used to my game and they can't find a rhythm.
"But I think this situation is an advantage," adds Karlovic, a winner of eight ATP World Tour titles and currently No. 18 in the Emirates ATP Rankings. "The less they practise with me, the less likely they are to get used to my game. I like having a unique playing style. The good thing about practising with Petar is that I can do specific work that I need to do."
Popovic, three years younger than Karlovic, isn't one of those coaches that leans against a wall to watch and observe a practice session. He sweats as much as or more than his player. "I understand the other players not practising with Ivo because there is zero rhythm playing against him. So it is up to me to be fit enough to practise with him. On holiday I practise three times a week and go to the gym." It's not for no reason. Every day, he waits to receive serves faster than 200 kilometres per hour.
The practice situation has strengthened the relationship between them. Karlovic doesn't know if one day someone is going to write their name next to his on the practice schedule, but the company of Popovic is a certainty. "Above everything, Petar is a friend. Then after that he is someone whom I've worked with the past three years. We spend a lot of time together and we get on very well. He is very funny."
"Our relationship is fun," explains Popovic. "Sometimes I tell him: 'Take this, do this.' And he says: 'Yes, dad!' It's funny because he is older and taller than me. We always find a way to laugh at ourselves. It's better to be like this because over the course of a year I see more of Ivo than my wife and children!"

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Ivo Karlovic training sessions.... Empty Re: Ivo Karlovic training sessions....

Post by noleisthebest Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:05 pm

Yes, a nice read.

Ivo has a good sense of humour, though I have my suspicions of him match fixing.
When I was into betting a few years ago, he had some very dodgy scores.

He is unique in more than one way.

P. Popovic used to coach Andrea Petkovic.

Looks like a very nice guy.

In fact, Ivo has blossomed under him!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:26 pm

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:10 pm

Nobody gets to make a mistake any more, it's always deeply offensive or insulting.

Someone got the silly song wrong. Nobody insulted anyone. They desperately need to get over both themselves and their absurd national guilt complex for stuff none of them did.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:18 pm

Well, it's quite likely it was not a mistake.

You'd have to actually look actively to find German national anthem from Nazi times.

It's insulting and they probably meant to insult., esp in current political climate of US trying to destabilise EU.
Enough for Petko (A Bosnian Serb playing for agermany) to want to leave the ceremony.

It's a trivial incident in the big scheme of things, but look how WW1 started: by a Bosnian Serb shooting Austrian-Hungarian Emperor in Sarajevo.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Oh come on, someone fouled up. Like the person who organized it knew of the 1st verse business and sought it out just to offend them and embarrass themselves. Petkovic is being a bog-standard virtue signaling fool.

By the way, how does an American organizer fouling up on this destabilize the EU? Actually how does it do that?

The EU makes all the running of making itself ridiculous without any help.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down