Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Will Nadal ever win a Tour Finals title?
2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland - Page 4 EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:49 pm by Daniel2

» I Just Can't Help Believing!
2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland - Page 4 EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:18 pm by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland

+6
summerblues
Polly 81
Tenez
truffin1
N2D2L
noleisthebest
10 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland - Page 4 Empty Re: 2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland

Post by Tenez Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:48 pm

yes Polly but for me until he beats Nadal in the FO final, the plot is still missing something!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland - Page 4 Empty Re: 2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland

Post by N2D2L Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Tenez wrote:yes Polly  but for me until he beats Nadal in the FO final, the plot is still missing something!
Not happening, don't see Nadal reaching another Grand Slam final.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly 81 Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:56 pm

Tenez wrote:yes Polly  but for me until he beats Nadal in the FO final, the plot is still missing something!
I like your thinking!  Winking

The film is not over yet! That was just a mini taster smiley

Polly 81

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:05 pm

Kim Jong-Un wrote:

Piece of cake for those who know a thing or two about draw rigging...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:21 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Kim Jong-Un wrote:

Piece of cake for those who know a thing or two about draw rigging...
They would have to change the rules to make it like it was in the early 20th century where the winner of one tournament got a bye to the final of the next year.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Wonderful match by Federer- pure majesty. Gasquet didnt go away either. He played a high quality match. Federer hit patches of a level that few players could ever dream of, and it was just too good.

Feds oncourt interview was perhaps the most humble and self effacing I've seen from a great champion after bringing home the championship.

Great team effort. It read like a sports fairytale. Turmoil and the star player hurt. His second steps up and holds down the fort. The star hurting combines with the second to gain the advantage. Then the legendary star clinches it with a master class. What a great moment!

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:48 pm

It's all about the moment, truffin.
The flight.

Interviews, words...everything "post" that moment is elusive.
It belongs more to everyone else than to him.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Kim Jong-Un wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Piece of cake for those who know a thing or two about draw rigging...
They would have to change the rules to make it like it was in the early 20th century where the winner of one tournament got a bye to the final of the next year.

But that's what Nadal gets anyway.....virtually.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Polly 81 wrote:I must be dreaming! Hooray!! From the start of the year when I looked at the draw, it was Switzerland's to lose.
What a great year for tennis this has been, and what an amazing year for Stan. Starting the year with the Australian Open, ending the year with Davis Cup.

However, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Federer's career reads like a plot from a film. Just this past week: 
A legend gets injured playing his team mate, has to withdraw from a final, being so disappointed as it was one of the main tournaments of the year. It doesn't look good for the Davis Cup, a tournament he's been carrying on his shoulders all year, a tournament neither he nor his country have ever won. His friend and team mate has to carry the weight this time around. The protagonist loses quite easily, all is surely lost for the title now. However, a change of plan from the team, and a stroke of genius from the Captain, and they win the doubles. Can they win it after all? 4th rubber, one last test, possibly the final match of the year, will the back hold? He plays pure, sublime tennis, showing when he plays his best, he is the best. There's drama from the opposition. He does it! Tears flow, the whole team erupts and celebrate. The scene and music fades away, and words appear on the screen:

"Roger Federer went on to win X titles, and a total of X Grand Slam titles.
He is regarded by most as the greatest tennis player to have ever played the sport."

You could do the same with a lot of other parts of his career. 2009 springs to mind after the 2008 Wimbledon loss. Or even when he was going for Wimbledon 2012. Back to no. 1, Wimbledon no. 7, slam no. 17.

That's my sentimental post for the day.
Applause Applause  well said polly

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:23 pm

This was Stan's DC win, he was the architect for this win. He was the best player by some distance. He laid a great foundation by beating the French#1 Tsonga with a dominating performance and gave room for Fed to play freely and without pressure of winning. Fed lost badly but the way Stan won his match it still gave upper hand that the Swiss would win the reverse singles.

His performance in double was remarkable, served fantastic going well into 135mph, on occasion over 140 too. He carried the doubles team..

Well done Stan.. A year that started so well, couldn't have finished any better..

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:57 pm

truffin1 wrote:
Feds oncourt interview was perhaps the most humble and self effacing I've seen from a great champion after bringing home the championship.
The most humble interview I've ever seen is Nadal before his final with Ferrer Winking

truffin1 wrote:
Great team effort. It read like a sports fairytale.  Turmoil and the star player hurt.  His second steps up and holds down the fort. The star hurting combines with the second to gain the advantage. Then the legendary star clinches it with a master class.  What a great moment!
True, in reality though Switzerland had a much stronger team than France. Both Federer and Wawrinka were stronger than any French player.
It was only close because Federer's injury could have spoiled the party, personally I feel Federer would have beaten Monfils if he was fully fit and it could have been a whitewash.
Swiss team have been very strong this year, 2 top 4 players, and if they both take it seriously next year I can see the Swiss defending their title.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:34 pm

What is remarkable is that just a week ago Fed could not play his final and had not played on clay since June, so 5 months ago. Worse he coudl not even train on the surface before Wednesday or thursday and when he did it was with ultra care. ....yet today he played great tennis as if it was the end of the clay season. Wilander saying even it was one of his best display of tennis on clay. Not sure about that and this is of course helped by Gasquet shots. Nadal's spin or Monfils power woudl have probably given a different result.

Wilander also said that nowadays fed is so fun to watch. He "wished he had played that aggressive his whole career".

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:11 pm

Tenez wrote:What is remarkable is that just a week ago Fed could not play his final and had not played on clay since June, so 5 months ago. Worse he coudl not even train on the surface before Wednesday or thursday and when he did it was with ultra care. ....yet today he played great tennis as if it was the end of the clay season. Wilander saying even it was one of his best display of tennis on clay.  Not sure about that and this is of course helped by Gasquet shots. Nadal's spin or Monfils power woudl have probably given a different result.

Wilander also said that nowadays fed is so fun to watch. He "wished he had played that aggressive his whole career".  

I thought that was quite interesting, too.
The tennis he has been playing since Toronto/Cinci has been a dream.
There were patches of tiredness, but on the whole, when he was on, it was just one never-ending gasp.

What I liked about his Davis Cup performance yesterday and today was the passion and fire he played with.
Clay (ok, and Richie) gave him time to hit every shot with so much purpose, he relished every moment.

I thought his back was injured more severely, so am glad he recovered from it quickly.

I hope the off-season break does not stop this beautiful momentum because it really is fun to watch him play like this, free as a bird in the sunny blue sky.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:18 pm

Btw, France need to get rid of Clement asap and get someone with a bit of testosterone & guts to lead them.

He was as inspiring as a limp handshake...no wonder Tsonga and Gasquet (in doubles) performed so flatly.

I nominate Benoit Paire. The man is fearless.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:35 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Btw, France need to get rid of Clement asap and get someone with a bit of testosterone & guts to lead them.

He was as inspiring as a limp handshake...no wonder Tsonga and Gasquet (in doubles) performed so flatly.

I nominate Benoit Paire. The man is fearless.
yes and from memory Clement often behaved like an idiot on court....really bizarre he got the job in the first place really.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly 81 Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:00 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:This was Stan's DC win, he was the architect for this win. He was the best player by some distance. He laid a great foundation by beating the French#1 Tsonga with a dominating performance and gave room for Fed to play freely and without pressure of winning. Fed lost badly but the way Stan won his match it still gave upper hand that the Swiss would win the reverse singles.

His performance in double was remarkable, served fantastic going well into 135mph, on occasion over 140 too. He carried the doubles team..

Well done Stan.. A year that started so well, couldn't have finished any better..
Couldn't agree more. He was impressive and fired up from the start.
Also, very apt that both players won one singles match each, and the doubles together.

Polly 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly 81 Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:13 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Luthi looks like such a killjoy...having on-court interview without even a smile, c'mon maaan!

Is this better?

2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland - Page 4 B3IlTjHCYAQvOwP

Polly 81

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:05 pm

He,he...I suppose bearing in mind he is Swiss...I'll give him he got really excited there!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:07 pm

Tenez wrote:Anyway, i'll see it on youtube eventually.

NITB..I can't stand macs anymore. Used to be a big fan but their marketing is evil.
Every corporation that sells anything has an evil Marketing plan.  Run . Any individual who sells anything has evil Marketing. Das Kapital for you. I like my Macs. Yosemite is unmitigated disaster though.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly 81 Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:19 pm

Special ceremony tomorrow in Lausanne, (Wawrinka's hometown), chosen at the request of Federer.

Polly 81

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:26 pm

Lausanne is a nice town...but I honestly can't imagine any crazy welcome there, it's so un-Swisslike.

That aside, after all said and done, I must admit Mirka-gate has made this Davis Cup absolutely unforgettable!

I can't help thinking it has bonded Fed and Stan in a unique and special way.
Funny, isn't it?

Also, I feel sorry for the French.
All the effort that went into preparing the venue etc...to end with such a half-hearted effort, I am really annoyed with Clement now! Grr

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Just saw this Laugh

Nicholas Arias @_NicholasArias
I want a pic of Swiss team carrying Mirka
2:35 PM - 23 Nov 2014

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:40 am

As Le Monde article says in DC, it's better to have 2 players in the top 5 than 6 in the top 30!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:29 am

Tenez wrote:As Le Monde article says in DC, it's better to have 2 players in the top 5 than 6 in the top 30!
I reckon  even with 6 in top 30, France could've done better this time.
Tsonga is as good as Stan.
Still don't know why he played so poorly. He was fit to play since he blamed the crowd afterwards.
I can't believe they booed him though when he was receiving the trophy....looked a bit cruel.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:01 am

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:As Le Monde article says in DC, it's better to have 2 players in the top 5 than 6 in the top 30!
Still don't know why he played so poorly. He was fit to play since he blamed the crowd afterwards.
I can't believe they booed him though when he was receiving the trophy....looked a bit cruel.

He certainly is but he is also more vulnerable than Stan. Remember how well he played to Win Toronto and how downhill he went the next weeks? Once he I thought  was a serious contender for a Slam win, but no more now.

Blaming the crowd was really bad and they returned it back to him. DC crowd was cheering every single point won by France no matter how it came. Tsonga I think took too much pressure on himself to win. Just was't ready for it.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:05 am

Tsonga is a player of inspiration, a bit like Monfils.

Monfils is generally more confident which is why he went into his match against Fed on his own and managed to engage the crowd.
I feel sorry for him as he never got the chance to play Stan. That would have been really good and made this DC properly memorable and competitive.

So, it's Tsonga's flat performance, again maybe the coach to blame here for not preparing him better mentally. As if the instant crowd support was expected on tap and taken for granted, and when it wasn't there it all fell flat on its face colossally.
Doubles team was a bad combo. The French needed a big server in their team: Tsonga  or Monf were a must!
And then the final tie....what went through Clemont's  mind to elect Gasquet...
It was a pretty match, but seriously, did Richie have a chance to even worry Federer after the year they both had...
Simon is by far the best and most mature competitor in French team.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:42 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

He certainly is but he is also more vulnerable than Stan. Remember how well he played to Win Toronto and how downhill he went the next weeks? Once he I thought  was a serious contender for a Slam win, but no more now.

Blaming the crowd was really bad and they returned it back to him. DC crowd was cheering every single point won by France no matter how it came. Tsonga I think took too much pressure on himself to win. Just was't ready for it.

Tsonga was actually injured when he played Stan this weekend. He admitted afterwards that he should not have played.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:44 am

noleisthebest wrote:Simon is by far the best and most mature competitor in French team.

Yes, not sure why Clement did not play him. Cause we know that over 5 setters Simon is really tough and coudl have best exploited the back issue.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:44 pm

Tenez wrote:Tsonga was actually injured when he played Stan this weekend. He admitted afterwards that he should not have played.

Yes, I read that.
Hindsight is a marvellous thing.
Was he pushed into playing or was it his decision...

Just like in life, we make mistakes, have to live with them and hopefully learn not to repeat them.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:51 pm

I like Justin Gimelstob and his comments, I find them usually good and fair, even though he seems to be quite a fan of Fed. He made a comment I totally agree with at some point on how well Fed played and Gasquet too and the (French) press should not be too hard on the latter as he was just facing Fed at his best (or almost) on clay... I agree with that. What I don't agree with is nitb's comment on how maybe that one point could have changed the outcome of the match. Richie had no chance whatsoever to even take a set off of the Federer who was playing yesterday!

Also, to the comment on Stan carrying the team, he won his single match, good, finally he did what he was supposed to do, be able to win without Fed carrying him. Also, in the double, it was clearly Fed who was in the driving seat and making the on court strategy as the match went along, I watched their on court behaviors and was seeing when Fed was suggesting stuff and Stan was following. Also, one of the commentators said something good that both nitb and rotla should have heard. They wanted a Monfils Stan match as they are both weak mental players and it would have been fun to see who can keep their nerves better. Thank God Fed won his match and we didn't need to see that. So no, Stan didn't carry the team (rotla) and no, Monfils is not more confident than Tsonga (nitb).

To put the French players in perspective, they usually all are quite talented, like to play more "flashy" tennis, and all under perform to their potential (contrary to Spanish players). I agree Simon is the one when in shape physically can last the longest in a match and does not fail mentally, but his tennis is pusher style, so easier... Richie doesn't have the fire power unfortunately. Tsonga does but his margins are smaller, so it is not as mental as it is difficult to keep it up the whole year, but on a given tournament, he can do it when inspired. Monfils, I'm not a big fan of his game at all, but he has firepower and is a physical player and has enough safety in his margins, so his only issue is the mental aspect of the game, he is just too weak, so I don't believe anything about confidence when it comes to him. He is a crowd pleaser so yes, he asks some cheers in return and can get fired up but eventually, if he is playing a top guy, his mental will fail (e.g. vs. Fed in USO).

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Of course Fed is better than Gasquet.
But that doesn't mean Gasquet could not have beaten him yesterday.

He was physically fresher than Fed and played well.

Had he won the third set, I do believe he had his chances to beat Fed in 5.

The chance was slim, but it was there, and I mentioned how it swung in one game/point.

Fed did play very well, but so did Nole against Nadal in that RG SF in 2013, and how did that net touching moment change everything...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Did anyone notice this peculiar thing during the ceremony:

when both Swiss and French teams were given trophies and the Swiss national anthem was being announced, Clement put his trophy on the ground, and his hands behind his back, ready to honour the winners by being extra well-mannered this way (obviously in his own mind!)
The rest of French team looked embarrassed and confused amd started following his example before the camera panned back to the Swiss who never let go of their trophy, they all held it proudly whilst singing.
To me this was so telling of how unworthy Clement was of his Davis Cup Captain position.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:13 pm

Wow!
The Swiss did go crazy and organised a big street party for their DC team!
Must be because Laussane is in the French part Winking

Apparently Fed said that was one of the craziest and nicest moments in his career.
Really happy for him and the whole team.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/mass-celebration-held-for-davis-cup-heroes/41133212

2014 Davis Cup Final: France-Switzerland - Page 4 Tennis-jpg

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:41 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Did anyone notice this peculiar thing during the ceremony:

when both Swiss and French teams were given trophies and the Swiss national anthem was being announced, Clement put his trophy on the ground, and his hands behind his back, ready to honour the winners by being extra well-mannered this way (obviously in his own mind!)
The rest of French team looked embarrassed and confused and started following his example before the camera panned back to the Swiss who never let go of their trophy, they all held it proudly whilst singing.
To me this was so telling of how unworthy Clement was of his Davis Cup Captain position.
Didn't really look at the French team on the podium as I thought they would be disappointed especially after a good first day. However, I noticed that Fed was the only one in his team not touching the big trophy, keeping his arms around his teammates' backs... Maybe he really meant the whole "this is for the boys" and wanted them to touch the trophy they all worked so hard to win!

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:45 pm

I didn't mean the big trophy, but the small copies they all received.

As for that scene where Fed didn't touch the big trophy, I actually thought his back was sore as he needed to bend it quite a bit to fit in that photo where they all held it together around their little tennis federation leader, and because he was far back it was additionally difficult, so it looked awkward in the end.

I think he loved winning DC, just said all that to give Stan a bit of well deserved limelight.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:56 am

noleisthebest wrote:Did anyone notice this peculiar thing during the ceremony:

The rest of French team looked embarrassed and confused amd started following his example before the camera panned back to the Swiss who never let go of their trophy, they all held it proudly whilst singing.

Yes I saw that.... Clemet put his trophy down.. then others didn't know what to do.. so followed him.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:29 pm

Interesting interview from Benetteau about the final...and Federer. High respect of the Swiss player in the French team.

For French speakers only unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz2WQv5cC-I#t=300

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:45 pm

Tenez wrote:Interesting interview from Benetteau about the final...and Federer. High respect of the Swiss player in the French team.

For French speakers only unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz2WQv5cC-I#t=300

Thanks, T,
I got the gist...I think Blush (esp. when they talk about Federer).

Didn't quite understand the bit about Tsonga & doubles. I gathered Clement wanted Richie&Tsonga to play...but Tsonga couldn't because of physical issues?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Yes Ben says Tsonga was injured before the match and probably shoudl not have played v Stan.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:52 pm

In hindsight, Tsonga should not have played injured.
Simon was a better option on both singles.
He must be disappointed he never got the chance.

Strangely, Forget also kept him on the bench in the final rubber against Serbia.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:49 am

Federer apparently distributing his €2.5M price money for winning the DC to all his team mates.

I guess he can afford it...though he could have bought them pizzas like he usually does! it woudl have been cheaper. Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:00 pm

I read that.
I think 2.5m was the total sum, but he gave his share to be split among other players, probably Lamar and Chiudinelli who is his childhood friend, since they have probably earnt next to nothing in their careers.
It's a lovely thing he did.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:52 pm

I'm sure Fed is just paying people off to get another sportsmanship award :-) 

I can already imagine certain posters saying that!!

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4