Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final

+5
sphairistike
truffin1
paulcz
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
noleisthebest
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final Empty DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final

Post by noleisthebest Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:30 am

DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final SM_DAVIS_CUP_07_DRAW_00912-14 September 2014
FRANCE-CZECH REPUBLIC

Roland Garros, Paris
France: Tsonga, Gasquet, Monfils, Benneteau
Czech Republic: Berdych, Rosol, Stepenek, Vesely

• Start times: 
    Day 1: 1030 hrs (0830 hrs GMT)
    Day 2: 1400 hrs (1200 hrs GMT)
    Day 3: 1030 hrs (0830 hrs GMT)

Surface: Clay (Red Clay), Outdoor
  • Ball: Babolat French Open

DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final 176804_BigPicture

SWITZERLAND-ITALY

Palexpo, Geneva, Switzerland
Switzerland:Federer, Wawrinka, Chiudinelli, Lammer
Italy: Fognini, Seppi, Lorenzi, Bolleli

• Start times: 
    Day 1: 1300 hrs (1100 hrs GMT)
    Day 2: 1300 hrs (1100 hrs GMT)
    Day 3: 1200 hrs (1000 hrs GMT)

Surface: Hard (Rebound Ace), Indoor
  • Ball: Wilson Australian Open

DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final Banner_Web_Coupe_Davis
Also, play-off group matches:

Serbia-India
Spain-Brazil
Argentina-Izrael
Canada-Columbia
USA-Slovakia
Austria-Uzbekhistan
Croatia-Netherlands
Belgium-Ukraine

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final Empty Re: DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final

Post by noleisthebest Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:59 am

Interesting choice from Clement to have Benneteau over Simon.
I can only guess because of the doubles match, which could provide to be key.

Really look forward to this Davis Cup weekend, should be at least a 100 times better than Winston-Salem final we had on Monday Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:38 pm

Winston-Salem?   Laugh Laugh

Yes the US open final was somewhat downer but the lead up to the final especially from 4th rnd onwards were very interesting. From Cilic's side it was near perfect play, Nishkori didn't have much answer to the onslaught.

I just love Davis Cup atmosphere, its electrifying.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:14 pm

Czech coach is solving who to nominate as the second player for single matches, Step or Rosol. It really seems to be real to see 35 yo Step playing all three days. If he does then Fed will stay on the circuit at least  till his 38 yo.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:30 am

I think France is too strong at the moment, Monfils and Tsonga play very well on clay.
Gasquet is probably still injured. I am curious to know who will play doubles for France.
I'd probably choose Rosol over Step, but it would be a big risk as he is the all or nothing type of player.

Italy Switzerland should be good, even better if they were playing on clay.
Fognini is always great in Davis Cup and Bollelli has been playing in excellent form recently, again his form got kicked off after Italy's DC win over Britain in the previous round.
I love how Davis Cup gives wings to these "lesser" players.
Lajovic would have probably been struggling in challengers had he not had his DC final experience last year, and look at him now, number one on Serbian team, playing bravely against Nadal on Chatrier...

Davis Cup is very underrated these days, but I love it!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:55 am

noleisthebest wrote:I think France is too strong at the moment, Monfils and Tsonga play very well on clay.
Gasquet is probably still injured. I am curious to know who will play doubles for France.
I'd probably choose Rosol over Step, but it would be a big risk as he is the all or nothing type of player.

Fognini is always great in Davis Cup and Bollelli has been playing in excellent form recently, again his form got kicked off after Italy's DC win over Britain in the previous round.
Lajovic would have probably been struggling in challengers had he not had his DC final experience last year, and look at him now, number one on Serbian team, playing bravely against Nadal on Chatrier...

France is a strong favorite in that semi. I hope that our Czech coach will be wise and choose Rosol for Friday singles. Step must play the double with Berd on Saturday and then Step could play on Sunday whether he feels ok. On the other hand to see a match between Monf and Step would be funny.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:03 am

On Friday Berdych with Gasquet and Rosol with Tsonga, so Step can relax for the double. A good decision.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:23 am

I am surprised with Clement playing Gasquet instead of Monfils.

Team Captain decisions have cost France in 2010 final, but I'm not complaining!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:52 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I am surprised with Clement playing Gasquet instead of Monfils.

Team Captain decisions have cost France in 2010 final, but I'm not complaining!

I can't get it why Clement nominated Gasquet. He has actually poor form. Monf and Simon are playing better currently imo.

If Berd wins with Gasq and Berd with Step win the double, then I am looking forwad to watching Step with Gasq in the fifth match.
This nomination and schedule look good for Czechs.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Good that Fed is playing the first rubber. Finally some sense prevails in the swiss camp. Fed is their best bet and must give him chance to get the Swiss 1-0 up. Stan will be much relieved knowing the 1-0 scoreline and can play freely in the 2nd match.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:18 pm

I think player 1 has to be better ranked than player 2 and until recently, Fed was behind Stan in the rankings, but I'm not sure about it.
It's their match to lose. Obviously, Fed must have had his say about the surface, as I remember he was livid with Switzerland choosing clay when they lost to USA on home soil last year.

I also love it's still best of 5 sets, as men's tennis should be.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:29 pm

Some interesting trivia about DC trophy:

"In 1900, American Dwight Davis commissioned the trophy from Shreve, Crump & Low Co. of Boston, Mass., which assigned the task to the William B. Durgin Company in Concord, N.H.
Rowland Rhodes, an English-born designer, crafted the bowl from 217 ounces of silver – 13-inch-tall cup, 18-inch diameter bowl, top edge carved with primroses and acanthus leaves.
Cost in 1900: about $1,000; cost to reproduce today: $200,000 (cup only); cup and plinths about $600,000.
The Evolution of the Cup

Names of the players from both the winner and runner-up teams are engraved on the trophy – the never-ending need for space has led to the addition of accompanying silver tablets on circular bases.
The third and most recent plinth (the largest) was added in 2002, increasing the height of the trophy to 3’7” and weight to 231 lbs.
The Davis Cup has been presented 95 times since it was first contested in 1900.
World’s only major sporting cup to have lasted a full century.
Considered the oldest, most prestigious and most cherished of all the trophies in tennis.
Globetrotting with the Davis Cup Trophy
After Australasia defeated the U.S. in the 1908 final, the Davis Cup trophy moved to Australian tennis star Norman Brookes’ home in Melbourne. It remained on a sideboard in his elegant dining room until his wife, Mabel, felt the Cup dominated their other decorative ornaments and it was sent to a Melbourne bank vault.
After Britain defeated France in the 1933 Davis Cup Final at Roland Garros, Henri Cochet and Fred Perry brought the trophy to various night clubs in Paris in celebration.
The Davis Cup spent both World Wars in a bank vault in New York.
The Cup is now in the care of the International Tennis Federation and travels to the Davis Cup Final each year.
A Trophy by Any Other Name

Officially titled the International Lawn Tennis Challenge Trophy but has long been known simply as the Davis Cup.
Dwight Davis’ friends lightheartedly referred to the trophy as “Dwight’s pot.” ".

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:54 pm

Fed looks happy in the practice picts and seems to be working hard. A good way to get over the US Open loss.

btw- anyone seen Amrits posting on the old 606 about his pilgrimage to see Nadal practice in spain?  opens by saying his favourite player is "probably" Nadal....smh...

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:02 pm

That's really funny!
Amri didn't have to go all the way to Spain for that.
I saw Nadal practise in Wimbledon this year (just happened to walk past that area) in fact, the women watching him behind the mesh fence were more interesting than him. I felt sorry for Rafito...most of them were too old even for Toni! Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:39 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I think France is too strong at the moment, Monfils and Tsonga play very well on clay.

I beg to disagree. I think choosing outdoor clay wasn't their best choice as Berdych is not too bad on it and it's Rosol's best surface. On a good day he can beat any of the French guys on that surface. I think the Czech Republic will get in it's third consecutive final.

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:43 pm

Indoor hard is an excellent choice from Switzerland. It would also have been a good choice for France as Tsonga, Monfils and Benneteau are really good on it. Only Stepanek could have been tough in singles for some of them (and maybe Berdych, but he is as tough for them on any surface, I still think he is better on slower ones though), but maybe not on best of five, but who knows as Stepanek plays his best in Davis Cup.

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:00 am

I'm glad France chose clay and especially Roland Garros.
It's pure style.

For once, we are not going to see any sweaty grinding on those iconic courts.
Clay is a wonderful, creative surface.

And the venue may just arouse the pride and patriotism in the French team.

I look forward to it!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:31 am

noleisthebest wrote:I think player 1 has to be better ranked than player 2 and until recently, Fed was behind Stan in the rankings, but I'm not sure about it.
It's their match to lose. Obviously, Fed must have had his say about the surface, as I remember he was livid with Switzerland choosing clay when they lost to USA on home soil last year.

I also love it's still best of 5 sets, as men's tennis should be.

I don't this is true. Fed was sure ranked higher than Stan before 2014 , but against USA in the QF Stan played the first Rubber and Fed the second against Isner ( which Fed lost in 4 sets on clay ).

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Wow!
France 2:0, and in style!
"'This is one of my best wins ever,'' said Gasquet, who kneeled on the court after match point. ''The atmosphere was great, this is the Davis Cup, at Roland Garros, and I beat a top player.''

I know everyone wants Fed to win DC, but I'll be cheering for France all the way. This generation of players deserve it.
ALLEZ! diva

Serbia also 2:0 against India in play-offs. And that's with Serbia's young team: Lajovic and Krajinovic. DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final 3755116760

Tipsarevic not in good health, just had another surgery on bis heel, as the benign tumour reappeared after the first surgery.

Fed won his match against Bolleli 6:4 6:4 7:5.

...and I didn't see any of it!Blush

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Strange comment from Berdych, something clearly not right with him:

"My body is not ready for this. I needed more time to be fit. I need more time to be better prepared,'' said Berdych, who reached the U.S. Open quarterfinals last week. ''But this tie is not over and I will keep fighting to be helpful for the team.''

And this may explain why Clement chose Gasquet:

''I quickly found out this week that I was going to play the opening game because Gael was tired. And I could not have dreamt of a better start.''

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:39 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Strange comment from Berdych, something clearly not right with him:

"My body is not ready for this. I needed more time to be fit. I need more time to be better prepared,'' said Berdych, who reached the U.S. Open quarterfinals last week. ''But this tie is not over and I will keep fighting to be helpful for the team.''

''I quickly found out this week that I was going to play the opening game because Gael was tired. And I could not have dreamt of a better start.''
Says the man who told off Federer for finding excuses after his Wimbledon 2010 defeat! erm

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:10 pm

Gasquet was playing great in that match vs. Berdych. He used great angles on his bh and his variety, Berdych couldn't beat him with his usual whacking the ball as hard as possible. Loved to see RG in the sun, the colour of clay is so beautiful. It's also the best surface to play on though I haven't tried grass. Big Grin

I didn't think Gasquet was a poor choice btw, clay is one of his best surfaces (besides grass). And I thought they might have wanted to spare Monfils, should they need to play live rubbers on sunday.

Fed-Bolelli was a rather tight match as I expected after having seen Bolelli play at the USO and Wimbledon. Both were mostly solid on serve, Bolelli powerful on the FH, Fed FH still MIA. Wah The surface was very high-bouncing, don't know why they chose that. Fed won that match by his superior consistency. 

Wawrinka victory was never in doubt with Fognini not strong enough on serve. Most memorable moment of the match was a Fognini challenge on setpoint (2nd set) where he stopped playing a theretofore neutral point and lost the challenge of course.

So we are headed toward a Switzerland - France final it seems likely with Bercy as a venue, with France being the strong favourite for me.

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:59 pm

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Strange comment from Berdych, something clearly not right with him:

Says the man who told off Federer for finding excuses after his Wimbledon 2010 defeat! erm

Finally I see why you don't like Berdych...but there's more to their animosity than what comes out in the press. Same with Nole.
I won't go into details, but anyone who lived in Switzerland as a foreigner will know what I mean.

I don't mind sparks coming off in press conferences. Honesty over " humbleness" any time for me!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:45 am

Both doubles matches today promise lot of fun. I wish Italians played Fognini, though.

Fed/Stan-Seppi/Bolleli
Monf/Benne-Step/Vesely

In play-offs, Brazil-Spain & Holland-Croatia 1:1 after day one.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:21 pm

CZ got all their cards on the table, Berd playing instead of the originally selected Vesely.
Same with Italy, Fognini instead of Seppi.

Got the stream at last, should be a good match, Davis Cup doubles are so exciting! diva

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:24 pm

So good to see clay, Chatrier packed, looking beautiful with all those flags.

This time last year I was waving my own flag in Arena, Belgrade smiley

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:37 pm

A French v Swiss final woudl be ideal for me. I want France to win....but I like the second choice too.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:45 pm

For me, DC is not an individual competition, so Switzerland is last on my support list in this SF. That doesn't stop me from enjoying their team's tennis, of course.

France need to be careful here and not squander the early lead, Step-Berd are a great doubles team.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:53 pm

I've just realised Fed is not partnering Stan in today's doubles, Chiudinelli playing instead.

Checking all scores...and Bubka playing Strakh against the Belgians.
He's done well to recover from that fall.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:57 pm

Yes Fed must be knackered not to be keen on playing double.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:57 pm

I think Monfils is the only French player that plays well and feeds on home crowd, all the others seem to choke for some reason.
Actually, Herbert and Paire love it, too.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:02 pm

Richie's BH looks suffocated in doubles' tennis.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:04 pm

Tsonga playing with lots of courage, even though he stuffed the chance to break for the set at the net, I like the attitude!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:08 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I think Monfils is the only French player that plays well and feeds on home crowd, all the others seem to choke for some reason.
Actually, Herbert and Paire love it, too.

I think that was true before but in a DC the atmosphere is different and it usually helps them....but certainly if they get a wrong turn, the huge support can certainly play against them.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:13 pm

From what I've seen, French crowd's love is not unconditional and that pressures the players when they are down in a match.

They can turn against their own players.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:17 pm

What a BH from Richie for 4:2 in the TB! Magic

The crowd loves him Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:23 pm

Sad

T, who would you have picked to play doubles today?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:31 pm

I am so happy current generation have embraced Davis Cup, even Cilic has sobered up from all the champagne and playing doubles for Croatia!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:51 pm

There is no escape from Rafael Nadal, even during this Davis Cup!
French TV showing a commercial of him and Ronaldo (the fat, Brazillian one) playing poker DAVIS CUP 2014: Semi-final 2355573927

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Chatrier crowd having time of their life, DC atmosphere is tough to beat!

Can't wait for the WTF, tennis nation rocks!!! diva

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:22 pm

France through to the final, 3:0, impressive!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Federer might regret not to have played the double now. He faces a single whihc is 3 times as much exhausting that the double.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:07 am

I wonder whether Fed is running out of gas at the tail end of the season.  Sadly, it may be that Cincy tournament cost him too much energy after all.  While he did quite well this summer, it has in a sense been quite disappointing.  He really should have come away with a slam - if not two.  Both Wimbledon and USO were winnable, and he failed in both; who knows when he will have such a good opportunity again.

Hopefully he has enough energy left to win tomorrow.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:27 pm

FEDS WINS THE TIE!!!! Big Grin

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:26 pm

summerblues wrote:I wonder whether Fed is running out of gas at the tail end of the season.  Sadly, it may be that Cincy tournament cost him too much energy after all.  While he did quite well this summer, it has in a sense been quite disappointing.  He really should have come away with a slam - if not two.  Both Wimbledon and USO were winnable, and he failed in both; who knows when he will have such a good opportunity again.

Hopefully he has enough energy left to win tomorrow.

I'm glad you mentioned this, as it again highlights how much current level of physicality affects tennis and should not be used as a sign of declining/lack of winning.

USO is a really good example: Nole was wiped by Murray, Nishi by Nole, Fed by Monfils and Cilic had easy pickings.
That's why early rounds draw has become crucial and was fixed, as Truffin mentioned in one of his posts (so much so that Toni even "hoped" Rafa would get easy few early rounds at USO before he officially announced he wasn't going to play it).

Fed's lack of result at USO was partly because of his very long season and number of matches he played but largely due to the very physical 5 setter he had played before the SF.
Nole barely played anything before USO and look how knackered he was against Nishikori.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:31 pm

luvsports! wrote:FEDS WINS THE TIE!!!! Big Grin

Let's hope French crowd doesn't end up cheering for him in the final Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:47 pm

I don't care much for DC but hopefully Fed and Stan can win it.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:47 pm

I remember fed vs simon at the FO'13. The crowd was pretty much dead even it was amazing.
For Tsonga fed, tsonga deffo had the crowd support.
Same for Monfils.
ALLEZ LE SUISSE!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:56 pm

Did you watch it, LS?
Just saw this on tennis.com

"Federer celebrated with skipping jumps across the court on completing a 6-2, 6-3, 7-6 (4) win against the 17th-ranked Fognini.

''It's fabulous to share in this moment,'' Federer said in an on-court interview after being hoisted on the shoulders of teammate Stan Wawrinka and captain Severin Luethi for a lap of honor round the court."

Must have looked great to see Fed hopping like a little boy and then carried on Stan's&Severin's shoulders.
You never ever experience that on tour!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:05 pm

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next