Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Miami Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Miami Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Miami Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Miami Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Miami Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Miami Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Miami Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Miami Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Miami Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Miami Thread

+7
Tenez
Daniel
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
summerblues
noleisthebest
truffin1
Polly 81
11 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Miami Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Miami Thread

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:46 am

noleisthebest wrote:I think Dimi needs to work on his FH and start taking it earlier if he can, otherwise....his game/progress will stagnate.
He is basically weaponless, so of course can't play a proper attacking game.
He's got to create a weapon asap.

Otherwise, he won't be beating Nishi.
I think his FH is not bad....it's the fragile BH I am worried about...especially under pressure.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:48 am

Julia Santamaria wrote:
Tenez wrote:Dimi will improve....but I'd say his main problem ..besides his head, is his hands...he doesn't keep the ball in court when he should.
So his problems are in his head and hands, and he's a tennis player, phew thank goodness he should be ok then.

Don't you see room for improvement from number 20 to number 1? We are talking in relative terms here.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:51 am

From what I've seen, he doesn't have much variety on his BH, he could have sliced it last night and kept himself alive, but didn't, just went for it impatiently.
As for the FH, compare it to Thiem's....
I really think he needs to change his coach asap.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:59 am

His coach Roger is essentially about fitness...nothing else. He is the one who turned Hewitt in that physical beast he was and I think that is the only good thing about Rasheed.

Dimi has all the shots. It's about becoming more consistent and confident. Just playing will give him that.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Tenez wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:
Tenez wrote:Dimi will improve....but I'd say his main problem ..besides his head, is his hands...he doesn't keep the ball in court when he should.
So his problems are in his head and hands, and he's a tennis player, phew thank goodness he should be ok then.

Don't you see room for improvement from number 20 to number 1? We are talking in relative terms here.
Yeah I do realise what you're trying to say smiley

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Dusan Lajovic, the SBH pride of Serbia playing Dolgo atm 2:1.

Sorry, Dolgo, but....GO DUCI!!! diva

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:00 pm

And Lajovic takes the first set 6:3

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!  Somersault 

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Will be watching later!...

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Poor Lajovic running on an empty tank now...

Had to play 4 qualifying matches, and beat that grinder Lu in 3 sets in this cooking climate.... Sad

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:21 pm

What a match....my head is killing me from crazy cheering and yelling, and now a rain delay !!! Wah

Lajovic could do with the break after failing to serve out the match, though. 5:5!

Nice to see Nole cheer his Davis Cup friend from the stands  Big Grin 

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:04 pm

I like Roger Vasselin. He does not look like a talented player but he has a good vision of the game. He is giving Stan some hard time.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:08 pm

and just when I say that Edouard gets broken! erm 

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:09 pm

News from Delpo. Op went well today......now 8 months of recovery/training!!! Yikes 

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Fabrice Santoro commenting on my stream. Interesting.

One comment was very interesting regarding volleying. Saying those synthetic string were not good for volleying as the ball dies on the racquet so volleys needs to be attacked more while with nat gut it was easier to generate pace....and from what I remember he is spot on.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:22 pm

Tenez wrote:I like Roger Vasselin. He does not look like a talented player but he has a good vision of the game. He is giving Stan some hard time.

I also like his 1930s moustache and 1990 tennis players' body....quite a contrast with Stan

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:53 pm

Santoro saying that Stan has great serve, BH, and FH but not a great touch game..."pas de petit jeu" which is what I'd call quick hands...and I agree. He lacks a dimension but still nice to watch.

He reminds me Leconte a lot. Same built. Both looked chubby and unfit but with a very quick and powerful arm. One LHer the other RHer but very similar players actually. Both weak mentally actually.

I saw an interesting stat the other day watching the TB stats...Stan has one of the very worst one...no wnder he did his best to beat ERV 75 75!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Tenez wrote:Santoro saying that Stan has great serve, BH, and FH but not a great touch game..."pas de petit jeu" which is what I'd call quick hands...

Each stroke in tennis comes from legs, that is everything in tennis. All great tennis players have "super" legs and hands just follow them, not vice versa.
This has been discussed a lot and all tennis academies and coaches chose talents according to their move. No chance to pick up a child who has a move limitation.
When you look at Stan, he obviously struggles with his move against the big 4, but his power offset that drawback and that what I really like. What amazing big winners can Stan generate, that is unique, especially from his SHBH.

Then we have a certain player, who is evidently super juiced, extra fast, extra powerful, but his taught super percentage game don't allow him to rule on the court. And when you add his fears and his effort to cheat, then that is quite opposite to Stan.

I really look forward to their match again.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Paul the power shots come from the legs...not the touch shots. The touch shots are about having quick hands or not. Stan, like Berdych have not got quick hands and that has nothing (certainly not much) to do with legs.

Stan hasn't got great legs but he has very powerful shots. I know that most of the power comes from the legs for all ground shots but volleys and touch shots are about hands not legs.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:40 pm

Bloody hell this is superb !

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:41 pm

Istomin has played well so far, still can't win a game yet.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:43 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Istomin has played well so far, still can't win a game yet.

Yes Rafa is on form. Though Istomin threw away a few crucial points on his previous service game.....though one woudl expect that versus the great scrapper that is Nadal.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 pm

Nadal has hit more winners.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Suddenly Nadal tries top pull FH winners but makes UEs. Nadal keep to keeping the ball in court. That's what you are good and remembered for!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:51 pm

Tenez wrote:Suddenly Nadal tries top pull FH winners but makes UEs. Nadal keep to keeping the ball in court. That's what you are good and remembered for!
What are you talking about ?

Nadal wins the set 6-1, barely any (only 5) unforced errors and more winners than Istomin.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Tenez wrote:Paul the power shots come from the legs...not the touch shots. The touch shots are about having quick hands or not. Stan, like Berdych have not got quick hands and that has nothing (certainly not much) to do with legs.

Stan hasn't got great legs but he has very powerful shots. I know that most of the power comes from the legs for all ground shots but volleys and touch shots are about hands not legs.

No Ten, each stroke incl. serve comes from legs with some exceptions mainly at the net. I saw Berdych about twenty times on live and his hands are ok. I saw many his doubles at DC and he was often better at the net than Step.

The great touch must also go from the superb timing, i.e. to be on time when hitting the ball. And when are you a bit late on the ball, then you are not able to play the ball even with the best hands. That is a basic rule of tennis.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Petchey: There's always a touch of madness when it comes to a genius.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:00 pm

paulcz wrote:

No Ten, each stroke incl. serve comes from legs with some exceptions mainly at the net. I saw Berdych about twenty times on live and his hands are ok. I saw many his doubles at DC and he was often better at the net than Step.

The great touch must also go from the superb timing, i.e. to be on time when hitting the ball. And when are you a bit late on the ball, then you are not able to play the ball even with the best hands. That is a basic rule of tennis.
You have been drinking haven't you? Winking Berdych better than Step at the net???

Touch is touch. It is called quick hands cause it is about what you make with the racquet and hands during the fraction of the second while the ball is in contact with the racquet. Wrist power is important but also quick you work the ball while it is the raquet. Legs have nothing to with that. Trust me ...if you don;t want to trust Santoro on this subject.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Petchey: There's always a touch of madness when it comes to a genius.
Istomin is no genius!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:06 pm

Tenez wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:Petchey: There's always a touch of madness when it comes to a genius.
Istomin is no genius!
We know !

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 pm

Istomin isn't actually playing badly here.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:16 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Istomin isn't actually playing badly here.

No but a few times in both sets he relaxed while 40/15 up on his serve. The banker with the high margins punished him for being too relax.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:19 pm

Phew, Nadal can thank his lucky stars Istomin is so relaxed when 40-15 up !
He shouldn't be..

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:20 pm

Nada very happy on one of the slowest court....much easier for him than on a fast slippery grass.

And once again Itomin wasting a 40/15 lead.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:21 pm

Scary performance that... Wow.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:23 pm

Tenez wrote:Nada very happy on one of the slowest court....much easier for him than on a fast slippery grass.

And once again Itomin wasting a 40/15 lead.
Incessant moaning Tenez smiley

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:23 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Scary performance that... Wow.
Yes Nadal confident can sometimes feel like an attacking player....versus Djoko his face is full of fears and turns into a terrible retriever.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:25 pm

Tenez wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:Scary performance that... Wow.
Yes Nadal confident can sometimes feel like an attacking player....versus Djoko his face is full of fears and turns into a terrible retriever.
Yeah, really really terrible. Winking

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:25 pm

Tenez wrote:
paulcz wrote:

You have been drinking haven't you? ;)Berdych better than Step at the net???

Touch is touch. It is called quick hands cause it is about what you make with the racquet and hands during the fraction of the second while the ball is in contact with the racquet. Wrist power is important but also quick you work the ball while it is the raquet. Legs have nothing to with that. Trust me ...if you don;t want to trust Santoro on this subject.

We sat with former players at last Davis cup with Netherland and talked about Berd and Step net game quite long time. Even great Step's touch when he pulls his legs is worse than Berd hands at the net. No my drinking for sure, you need to believe me  Winking 

Then you woud say that Fed's shanks comes from his poor hands and surely that is not the case. It is from his late timing in the past and lately affected by his back. That has been discussed many times. Ten, that is fact, legs are the first and hands follow them.

Having watched Denis with Nadal, the problem of Denis was not his hands, but legs. Otherwise Denis plays nicely allcourt tennis. But his timing was destroyed due to that he wasn't able to catch up by his legs. Quite striking.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:41 pm

paulcz wrote:
Then you woud say that Fed's shanks comes from his poor hands and surely that is not the case. It is from his late timing in the past and lately affected by his back. That has been discussed many times. Ten, that is fact, legs are the first and hands follow them.

I think you are mixing things up. Fed shanks has nothing to with hands cause the ball is actually not in the strings. Fed's shanking is essentially down to bad timing for whatever reasons (back, Nadal's spin, timing/small frame) but hands do not intervene cause it is a grounds shot which was prepared to hit through the ball.....with the hand adding little to it if anything. Very different from a touch, middle court or skill shots which requires controlling the ball while on the frame and that has little to do with legs. All the old pros on the tour like mcEnroe, Barhami and so on have no leg but still amazing hands.

Having watched Denis with Nadal, the problem of Denis was not his hands, but legs. Otherwise Denis plays nicely allcourt tennis. But his timing was destroyed due to that he wasn't able to catch up by his legs. Quite striking.
Legs was part of the problem certainly and it's almost impossible to have good quick hands and you receive Nadal's zippy ball.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:34 am

I am glad Fognini is through.
Looks like an exciting day of tennis tomorrow.

Very sad about Lajovic's loss and the way it happened....a linesman robbing him of a match point by calling a ball that was 15cm  INside the baseline - out. Lajovic was serving for the match at 5:5 in the 3rd set TB when the linesman called out, umpire overruled, Dolgo challenged...and the point had to be replayed Lajovic double faulted.
Duci said he learnt to many things from this match, and that there were many positives, but also mentioned how he couldn't get the wrong call out of his head and remain calm on his next serve.
The first match he played as a Lucky loser, seems to have used up all the luck and left only the losing bit for yesterday's...
Ballkids and linesmen have been terrible in Miami this week.
I feel so sorry for Lajovic.
What a way to end a dream week of his life. I hope he continues this good run.
After Troicki's and Tipsarevic's rankings plummeted due to ban and injury, Lajovic is now Serbia's 2nd player at 77.

It was also strange to see Dolgopolov grind.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:26 am

I haven't seen either Stan's of Nadal's match last night  but looks like Nadal is "ready" for clay season.
Despite Stan's win in AO, I still see Nole to be the only one able to stop him on clay.
I hope the disappointment of AO will only make him  more determined to finally stop the rot and put an end to "Nadal king of clay" era.

I don't know quite  how based on current form, but I've seen crazier things happen.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:50 am

Re quick hands vs good legs debate,  I also see a clear distinction between the two.
Legs have a two fold purpose in shot execution: one to get you into a perfectly balanced position, the other to draw power from  into your groundstroke.

That's where the role of legs ends and the role of quick hands begins...for those who have them.
I haven't seen many with very good hands on tour atm, though.
Too many players are stiff and drilled.
Even the attacking players like Stan gain their advantage by pure force, which is why I find him interesting to watch only against  limited number of players, not finer ones like Vasselin, against who all the things I don't like about Stan are exaggerated.

Quick hands are definitely a gift, and the one players lived by in older eras I believe (McEnroe comes to mind first), now, modern strings cover up for almost everything.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:31 am

It is actually a subject I wanted to mention some time ago. Even in grounds shots, the hand towards the whole hitting through of the ball can have a huge impact. In the split second that the ball is in the frame, the hand is going to adjust the angle of the racquet depending on where the ball hits the frame. The hand actually accompanies the ball till it leaves the racquet. This is what makes the big difference between a Federer and a Stan for instance. Fed's ground shots are more precise, he can find angle and depth better cause he controls the ball better while in it in contact with the frame but that is of course much more obvious in the middle court game and volleys.

Santoro had amazing hands...but once again helped by the fact he had 2 of them on the racquet, so a much better control of the racquet head from both wings.

That the power comes first from the leg is obvious....Without legs being able to grip the ground there would be no power but the work the hand does is of a very different nature. It comes into effect in that split second the ball rolls along the frame. A lot of it is actually made of instinctice reflexes, we know that depending on where the ball hits the frame our hands are going to rectify the initial swing.

Here is an example of good hands....the arm but more so the hand is making sure the ball stays in the frame without bouncing. All those pros have excellent hands...obviously some better than others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yk2RdRh2zI

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 am

I find the topic fascinating.

Firstly, the concept of watching and seeing the ball...the moment when hand and eye actually coordinate and get your arm in motion.
And then, that split second of the ball being on the racquet, and what you do with it...

The two are separated by another small fraction of time.

I read somewhere that McEnroe had the ability to see  the strings of his racquet bend  at the point of ball contact.
It's amazing hiw some players are able to delve into those micro moments of time and almost step and play into them.

I often hit the ball without even seeing it, yet sometimes struggle to see whether it landed on the line or not right in front of me.
Then, you hear how players get into the phase of seeing the ball "as big as a watermelon"

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 am

noleisthebest wrote:......I read somewhere that McEnroe had the ability to see the strings of his racquet bend at the point of ball contact.
I read it from a Fed's interview..never heard it from McEnroe though he may have said it too...the fact is at his time the ball was so slow that it was probably an easier feat. Winking

I'll comment later about the rest.....

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:00 pm

Tenez wrote:  A lot of it is actually made of instinctice reflexes, we know that depending on where the ball hits the frame our hands are going to rectify the initial swing.

Apart from the eye clicking with the hand, that has got to be the most interesting moment of the entire ball-striking process.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:37 pm

Q. In your first two matches, I think you have won 90% of your first and second serve points. Do you think any of that is attributable to the new racquet?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I definitely think some of it, for sure. I think it just gives me easier power, especially on the first serve. And I think as time now goes by, I'm getting a better feel for how is the ball going to react, you know, how much spin do I need to put on to stay really accurate and put it really close to the line.
Because that's something I also struggled with last year and sometimes before. It's just to keep the pace up and keep accuracy up. Right now I'm doing a good job.
But then again, you know, this wasn't Andre Agassi on the other side, or Djokovic. It's just important for me to keep that up and remind myself it's going well so far.
But you also need to put in the effort again, time and time again. Then it's not just to serve. You know, people think, Oh, he's winning all these points on first and second serve.
But there are rallies after that. It doesn't just stop right after you've hit a serve. So important it's how do you back up your serve. I think that's also what I'm doing well now.

Q. Is the racquet a finished product or still a work in progress?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, it could be a finished product, but I'm still going to just test a couple of things in the next few weeks.
So I should know probably in a month. I definitely will know if this is going to be it or not.
======================================
Interesting from Fed. Getting used to the racquet....and comparing the 2 players he played with Agassi and Djoko!  Laugh No Nadal in that bracket either.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:38 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I am glad Fognini is through.
Looks like an exciting day of tennis tomorrow.

Very sad about Lajovic's loss and the way it happened....a linesman robbing him of a match point by calling a ball that was 15cm  INside the baseline - out.
There have been some horrible line calls this Miami and even at IW. Players need to use HE carefully.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:34 pm

is it raining there? 1st Match should have started by now.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by bluenose Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Yes JS, a scary performance!  I watched some of Nadal v Istomin and what I saw was the jittery frenetic performance of Pete Rose playing baseball, looking juiced to the eyeballs on some kind of upper.  It was weird.  I don't know how he can play with so much tension in his body.

bluenose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next