Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
ATP 250: Queens, Halle EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
ATP 250: Queens, Halle EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
ATP 250: Queens, Halle EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
ATP 250: Queens, Halle EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
ATP 250: Queens, Halle EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
ATP 250: Queens, Halle EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
ATP 250: Queens, Halle EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
ATP 250: Queens, Halle EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
ATP 250: Queens, Halle EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

ATP 250: Queens, Halle

+4
truffin1
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
Tenez
noleisthebest
8 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

ATP 250: Queens, Halle Empty ATP 250: Queens, Halle

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:27 pm

There is one great thing about this year's Roland Garros: it's over!

With summer just around the corner (at least on paper), we now move on to grass and tournaments leading to the heart of tennis season: Wimbledon.

There are two 250 tournaments this week: Queens and Halle.

Atp 250 AEGON CHAMPIONSHIOPS (aka Queens), grass

"Since its inception in 1979, there have been six different players to complete the Queen's Club-Wimbledon title double in the same year, including John McEnroe (81, 84), Jimmy Connors (82), Boris Becker (85), Pete Sampras (95, 99), Lleyton Hewitt (2002) and Rafael Nadal (2008). In 2011, Andy Murray became the first two-time British champion since Francis Gordon Lowe (1913-14, '25)."

I hear Pippa is going to be hanging around, quick book those tickets fast Winking

Players: Murray, Berdych, Del Potro, Dimitrov, Anderson, Tsonga, Cilic, Querrey, Dolgopolov, Harrison, Nieminen,PAIRE, Rosol, Vasselin, Hewitt

Draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/311/mds.pdf

Order of Play:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/311/op.pdf

Atp 250 GERRY WEBER OPEN (aka Halle), grass

"The Gerry Weber Open is one of five grass court events on the ATP World Tour calendar, and gives players their first chance to play on the surface in the lead-up to Wimbledon. The Gerry Weber Open has crowned five German winners since the inaugural event in 1993: Michael Stich (1994), Nicolas Kiefer (1999), David Prinosil (2000), Tommy Haas (2009 & 2012) and Philipp Kohlschreiber (2011)."

Players: The one and only RF, Gasquet, Tipsarevic, Raonic, Haas, Kohlschreiber, Nishikori, Youzhny, Goffin, Janowicz, Monfils

Draw
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/500/mds.pdf

Order of Play
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/500/op.pdf

ATP 250: Queens, Halle Category_1259_onsite%20grass%20tennis%20court

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED1iG4EY-eI

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

ATP 250: Queens, Halle Empty Re: ATP 250: Queens, Halle

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:21 am

Nice picture...do you know which club it is?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:32 am

Might first round opponents for Haas/Fed. Petz/melzer are a very formidable pair in doubles.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:16 am

Tenez wrote:Nice picture...do you know which club it is?

http://www.oneoffplaces.co.uk/Europe/England/Devon/fingals.aspx

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:35 pm

Fed/Haas could win some big titles with their quality but certainly need to practice some together!! Too much bumping into each other, not in position,etc!! To be expected.

I'm sure the organizers are bummed they won't move on as they had a nearly full stadium for a 1st round doubles match, but better Petz/Melz win and earn needed prize money as they make their living primarily in doubles.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:00 pm

The problem is that double though great to watch woudl need quite a few more big names in it to regain some interest from the public.

Fed/Haas v Rao/Dimi or Nadal/Djoko etc....could attract the public back into the game.But for now it's not very interesting....though great to watch as I said.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Tenez wrote:The problem is that double though great to watch woudl need quite a few more big names in it to regain some interest from the public.

Fed/Haas v Rao/Dimi or Nadal/Djoko etc....could attract the public back into the game.But for now it's not very interesting....though great to watch as I said.

Not in a million years! Grr
And I'd return wooden racquets to doubles.

BYW, Nole is a good/solid doubles player, haven't seen Fed yet. I saw Nadal once, he was not bad at all. Murray...judge for yourselves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1SafhJE_5o
Mixed doubles would be a lot more attractive and popular I think. Just imagine all the combinations.....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:29 pm

truffin1 wrote:Fed/Haas could win some big titles with their quality but certainly need to practice some together!! Too much bumping into each other, not in position,etc!! To be expected.

I'm sure the organizers are bummed they won't move on as they had a nearly full stadium for a 1st round doubles match, but better Petz/Melz win and earn needed prize money as they make their living primarily in doubles.

Are you watching it on TV or a stream?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Some decent matches in Halle tomorrow (11 AM UK time)

Monfils-Raonic,
Petzczzdddner (hate his surname!!!) - JJ,
Baghdatis- Gulbis

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueClay Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:48 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Not in a million years! ATP 250: Queens, Halle 49141995

What are you talking about? Djokovic and Nadal played doubles at Rogers Cup 2010 and played against Raonic/Pospisil. Nadal is a better doubles player than Djokovic is, Nadal is better at the net.

BlueClay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:06 pm

BlueClay wrote:What are you talking about? Djokovic and Nadal played doubles at Rogers Cup 2010 and played against Raonic/Pospisil. Nadal is a better doubles player than Djokovic is, Nadal is better at the net.

That must be the reason he is playing 4m behind the baseline Laugh

Btw, I know Djokovic and Nadal played doubles once. My comment had a completely different meaning from the one you jumped at.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:37 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
truffin1 wrote:Fed/Haas could win some big titles with their quality but certainly need to practice some together!! Too much bumping into each other, not in position,etc!! To be expected.

only could see it on stream... Fed was in expo mode... both he and haas didn't seem to be going all out , but were having fun, grinning,laughing.. Fed barely lifted his toes off the ground and no back arch on serve but held his serve every time.. Overall though- Haas played better between the two I think... Fed looked stiff at the net.. I don't care what anyone says- he's either permantly locked up in the lower spine from disc issues, or is still dealing with slight pain.. ..

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:20 pm

truffin1 wrote:
only could see it on stream... Fed was in expo mode... both he and haas didn't seem to be going all out , but were having fun, grinning,laughing.. Fed barely lifted his toes off the ground and no back arch on serve but held his serve every time.. Overall though- Haas played better between the two I think... Fed looked stiff at the net.. I don't care what anyone says- he's either permantly locked up in the lower spine from disc issues, or is still dealing with slight pain.. ..

big Sad

Maybe he hasn't tried hula-hoop yet!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:32 pm

[quote="truffin1"]
noleisthebest wrote:only could see it on stream... Fed was in expo mode... both he and haas didn't seem to be going all out , but were having fun, grinning,laughing.. Fed barely lifted his toes off the ground and no back arch on serve but held his serve every time.. Overall though- Haas played better between the two I think... Fed looked stiff at the net.. I don't care what anyone says- he's either permantly locked up in the lower spine from disc issues, or is still dealing with slight pain.. ..

He certainly looks so more and more I must say. His interview yesterday seemed very optimistic for the rest of the season. I tend to think it's bluff.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:39 pm

I wonder what actually caused that backache with Federer. He must have been overdoing something, or doing something wrong in his fitness regime, he is just too young to have back problem of that degree, and it started a while ago, such a great shame.
I am so happy he had 2012.
And I don't think he is done just yet.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:33 pm

The first MTO I saw Federer take was in 2003 in his 1/4F v (Malisse?). It was for a back problem then already. They all have their achile heel. It's quite some chance he managed to play without too much trouble for so long.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Problem with the back once it's gone you can heal it but not push it, and the physical demands of today's games are well above the normal.
He would have to do his abs with the Swiss ball (pun not intended Winking ), just to isolate any pain/injury.
I wonder if he'd be prepared to cut his losses and have a break after Wimbledon, kind of rest the back and then try to return in Australia or stg.
Or would it be too costly?
I think if he could have the back back to 100% with extended rest, then he'd be healthy and free to play his game and maybe the break would not affect him too much.
The only problem there would be the motivation to go through it all mentally, to exist without competition and then face it in the full heat.
I think he could do it.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:45 pm

I simply have the feeling that he wants to enjoy the rest of his career. Like he did v Beneteau in Amsterdam and Nishi in Madrid, he is not going to fight too much for the smaller tournaments. However according to one of his latest interview he seems quite gutted by how bad he played v Tsonga.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:53 pm

Tenez wrote:I simply have the feeling that he wants to enjoy the rest of his career. Like he did v Beneteau in Amsterdam and Nishi in Madrid, he is not going to fight too much for the smaller tournaments. However according to one of his latest interview he seems quite gutted by how bad he played v Tsonga.

Yes, playing "bad" will be the only thing to kill his enthusiasm.
He and we can all analyse to death why and how he lost, but sometimes it comes down to sheer hunger (although that thermal belt around his waist suggests that he was not playing 100% physically) , like last year in Wimbledon F, or in 2011 RG SF. Something he hasn't shown since last year's WTF.
With Federer, it seems to draw the best out of him.

I bet he looks forward to walking on that fresh grass of CC at 1PM on first Monday. That will be a huge lift for him.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueClay Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:45 am

truffin1 wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

Why on earth would Federer be playing doubles and singles in Halle of all places if his back were locked up? Come on people!ATP 250: Queens, Halle 2786941968

BlueClay

Back to top Go down

Post by FedererisnottheKing Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:10 am

I watched the match live in the stadium, and from what I could see Federer's service action looked a bit strange compared to usual.
It's a shame we can't have a Federer-Haas final this year Sad

FedererisnottheKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:12 am

Hi Prince - How did you hear from OTF?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Gulbis Baggy starting in Halle, could be worth a look.... alas can't find a stream.

Surprise easy win for Monifils over Raonic.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:04 pm

BlueClay wrote:
truffin1 wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

Why on earth would Federer be playing doubles and singles in Halle of all places if his back were locked up? Come on people!ATP 250: Queens, Halle 2786941968

As someone who has dealt with lower back issues, surgery,etc for many years- I can tell you- at some point- the damage is done, the stiffness is set- and you just have to go about your life with whatever capability you have.. Like Nadals knee might have caused him to slow a bit and now he just plays at that speed... it may be as simple as Federer can play in his current condition and it's not going to get any better- so he's chosen to just play as much as he can and wants.. It's really not all that unusual.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:26 pm

A very interesting (and honest, as usual) interview from Federer in Halle. He talks about the need to "feel good" in order to play well in Wimbledon, need for the tournament win & confidence, how a win in Halle would help him a lot.

I can't isolate and copy the link, but it's a smallish screen on the righthand side further down on the page:
http://www.tennis.com/

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:34 pm

At last, got the working link for Gulbis Baggy, 3rd set, Gulbis serving for the match, and he gets the job done with the 2nd serve ace down the T Cool

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:43 am

Some good matches on today:
Halle
Youzhny-Nishikori
Federer-Stebe
Zverev-Basic (the guy who knocked out JJ in his first ATP match yesterday, could be worth checking out)
Queens
Hewitt-Dimitrov
Murray-Mahut
Tsonga-Vasselin
Lopez-Benneteau

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:20 pm

A bit of a surprise result at Queens: Hewitt the Spent Force dispatched Dimitrov in two easy sets....
Youzhny better than Nishi in Halle.
Good to see Dolgo score a W after a long time, too.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Murray-Mahut just started, BBC has live stream for the match (warning: Andrew Castle in the commentary box!):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22869124

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:18 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Murray-Mahut just started, BBC has live stream for the match (warning: Andrew Castle in the commentary box!):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22869124
Ouch bad news.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:59 pm

It's weird seeing Murray play on grass exactly the same as on hard courts (and clay). For some reason he looks too big for the court, although Mahut who is taller than him, does not.
There is something deeply wrong with the state of tennis if someone with Murray's game is doing well on grass. New strings and DBH have totally destroyed all court tennis.
Mahut, on the other hand looks as a player should look on grass: volleying, nice SBH variety, attacking, he always comes to life at Queens for some reason.
It really is such a great shame that grass season is so short, I wonder if anything can be done about it.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:25 pm

Just found out Mahut's been given a wildcard for Wimbledon.
Monfils on the other hand is choosing not to play there for undisclosed "personal reasons". Very strange.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Yes, that's weird. He seems to be doing well on grass this year.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Tenez wrote:Yes, that's weird. He seems to be doing well on grass this year.
Any ideas?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:14 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:Yes, that's weird. He seems to be doing well on grass this year.

Any ideas?

Doesn't like Lamb with mint sauce.

Personally I think he has a point.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:27 pm

is he going to use the "because im black" excuse again?

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:32 pm

I have looked it up, Monfils has withdrawn from Wimbledon in: 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013.
I  suggest marinating the lamb in honey&mustard for 2014.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:38 pm

luvsports! wrote:is he going to use the "because im black" excuse again?

When / how did he used that excuse?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Tenez wrote:
luvsports! wrote:is he going to use the "because im black" excuse again?
When / how did he used that excuse?
That was one of the first anecdotes related to the implementation of the 25 second rule. 
Monfils was given time warning because he took ages with the towel and his excuse was that he sweats a lot because he is black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71j6rcmVhjE

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:05 pm

Big Grin good one!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:55 am

The weather's been pretty bad for grass tennis in London this week, I hope it gets better for Wimbledon, otherwise there is going to be an utter sheduling chaos even with CC having the roof.
At Queens, some players will have to play two matches today, and with this never-ending drizzle, you wonder if they are going to manage even one.
So:
Tsonga opening against Vasselin at 11.00
followed by
Murray-Mahut (to finish yesterday's match) and then winners of those two matches to play another one.
Querrey-Hewitt
Cilic-Lopez/Benneteau
also in action Berdych,mDel Potro and Dolgopolov.

In Halle, everything on schedule:

Gasquet-Melzer
Haas-Gulbis (NB4.30)

Highlights from Fed's match yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfBcMWmMQUU

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:23 pm

Watching a bit of grass tennis....such a different game from grass despite more rallies than in the past.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:09 pm

I didn't get to see anything today, will tune in now. Sad to see Mahut and Benneteau out.

Hewitt, Delpo and Gasquet seem to be in fine form.

Gulbis-Haas should be good.

Yes, grass tennis brings out all the flair in players that have it. I particularly enjoy watching the footwork. There is certain lovely quietness & softness in it as well, no screeching of hard courts and no exertion from clay tennis, pure fun.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Gulbis haas starting. I'm expecting a 3 setter. This Gulbis can take out anyone. Just anyone. He is a very dangerous floater.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:56 pm

GUlbis is a dangerous floater that's for sure. But problem usually those big hitters have is that though they can hit hard and fast through medium to slow conds, their UEs jump high when faced again players who can send them the ball back.

In short some players can hit a normal ball hard, they can struggle hitting a fast ball hard and it.

Rosol is the typical case of a player who can whack a slow ball (Nadal's for instance) but will struggle if the ball has a bit more pace coming at him.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:00 pm

I hope Goffin does well on grass.

Tsonga looks good, grass definitely suits his game really well, would be great to see him in the final.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Interesting to see Gulbis struggle a bit against Haas, esp with returning, his reflexes def not that quick.

Nice programme in Halle tomorrow:
11.00 AM
Federer-Zverev
F.Mayer-Gasquet
Haas-Monfils
NB 4.30
Kohlschreiber-Youzhny

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:53 pm

gulbis saved 16 out 17 bp's vs haas but created 0 of his own!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:58 am

Weather permitting some nice matches in Queens today, too:

Cilic-Berdych
Hewitt-Del Potro
Murray-Becker
Tsonga-Kudla (who is Kudla?!)

Fed-Zverev starting in Halle .

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:02 am

There is something technically wrong with the posting system atm. Not able to "quote"; the cursor stays in the quoted text, can't "get it out" on the white section of the box.
I noticed a different "look" of posting boxes the other day, with different colour and font, but now it's getting in the way. Is it just the Forumotion experimenting and trying to  push the "new version"?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next