Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July

+11
Jahu
Emancipator
N2D2L
noleisthebest
bogbrush
summerblues
legendkillar
Wow.
naxroy
Tenez
barrystar
15 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July Empty Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July

Post by barrystar Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:46 pm

Partial schedule is out for Men's SF on CC:

Djokovic vs. Bautista Agut

Nadal vs. Federer

We'll have the Women's and Mixed Doubles SF's on No. 1, with one possibly CC or No. 2, otherwise it's crusties, kids, and wheelchair players.  I was on No. 1 on the same day last year and thoroughly enjoyed it - we thankfully missed sitting out the Anderson v. Isner bore fest, which meant that we saw most of the much better Djoko v. Nadal on the TV back home.

The Djoko/Bautista Agut H2H is 7:3, and Bautista Agut has beaten Djoko twice this year, at Miami and Doha, and before that in 2016 at Shanghai.  Unusually for a Spaniard he has done most of his best work on hard courts, and fastish ones at that.  He's therefore no mug, but all that said, it will be a shock of epic proportions if Djoko loses this SF - I reckon he'll do it in three.

After no Fedal's in 2018, this is the third scheduled meeting in 2019, all in SF's, and Nadal is 1-0 having given Federer a w/o at Indian Wells.  For my money the slow, hard-baked conditions and Nadal's form, in particular his serving, make him the favourite, and a strongish one.  If he had demons about the neo backhand &c after losing 5 on the trot through 2015-2017, those will have been settled down a bit by his comprehensive win at RG.  Can Fed rekindle the 2017 heroics?  I'm not confident.  The only thing to be said about these two with near certainty is that the 1st set is crucial - of their 39 matches the player who won the first set went on to win the match 31 times: Nadal has overturned a lost first set six times (2013 Cincinnati, 2012 AO, 2011 Madrid, 2006 RG, Rome, Dubai); Federer has done so twice (2007 Hamburg, 2005 Miami).  Four of the eight turnarounds were in the sixteen Bo5 matches they have played (Masters finals used to be Bo5).  For all his mental strength Nadal is a surprisingly nervy player, but that changes and his nerves settle down, usually to devastating effect, when he gets the first set in the bag.  Despite losing the first set Kyrgios kept himself in with a chance because Nadal could not get a look at his serve in the last three sets.  Fed's serving has been OK this Wimbledon, but not to the standard of Kyrgios in those last three sets, so I don't think Fed will be able to keep the pressure off his serve in the same way.  For me therefore it's Nadal in four with Fed picking up a 'consolation' set in the third.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July

Post by Tenez Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Does anyone know why Federer's 4th round and 1/4F interview is not out?....Nadl's 1/4F either. Whereas Djoko's is.

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/index.html?filter=interview

Looks like their most wanted interviews are retained by Wimbeldon. Probably released later.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July

Post by naxroy Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:28 pm

They are out. Only tennis lovers get to watch them

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wow. Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Anyone but Nadull

Wow.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:00 pm

Should Nadal win the first set, I'll turn off. 

Other than that, not much interest for me.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:25 am

Wow. wrote:Anyone but Nadull
ABN

An acronym that should be reusable for the final even if Fed manages to win tomorrow.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:28 am

Good luck Roger!  I am not overly optimistic (defo less than 50% - I give Fed maybe around 30% chance) but he has a chance so hopefully he gives it his all.

Too bad Nole vs Bautista Agut is scheduled first.  It makes it difficult to know who to root for.  As it is, it has to be IDEMOOOOO MAJSTOREEEE!, but with a heavy heart.  The reality is that if Bautista Agut ends up competitive, I will find myself rooting for him whether I like it or not.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:29 am

naxroy wrote:They are out.  Only tennis lovers get to watch them
smiley

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:28 am

Since they're on 1st it looks like I'll be driving while the match is on. Now the challenge will be to stop Mrs B checking the score and reading it out to me while I'm driving; I'll be going near some very steep drops without barriers so I really don't need either radio commentary or intermittent score updates.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 am

bogbrush wrote:Since they're on 1st it looks like I'll be driving while the match is on. Now the challenge will be to stop Mrs B checking the score and reading it out to me while I'm driving; I'll be going near some very steep drops without barriers so I really don't need either radio commentary or intermittent score updates.

I assume it's the Fedal match that would hold your attention - and they are on second.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 am

Yeah, brainfade moment. Since they're on 2nd it means I'm driving. Hopefully not off a cliff.

Or is it that I'm secretly frantic about Djokovic / Bautista Agut?

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:58 am

I too can't see Fed beating Nadal today, however much it would be great to see him in one more Wimbledon final.
Gutty is going to be tough, hopefully for no longer than a set.

Then The Battle for GOAT status on Sunday.

IDEMO NOLE MAJSTOREEEEEEE!!!!!!!
diva

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:04 am

noleisthebest wrote:I too can't see Fed beating Nadal today, however much it would be great to see him in one more Wimbledon final.

diva
But how can it be a battle for GOAT with either Djokovic or RB-A in the final?

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 am

bogbrush wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I too can't see Fed beating Nadal today, however much it would be great to see him in one more Wimbledon final.

diva
But how can it be a battle for GOAT with either Djokovic or RB-A in the final?
RBA won't make it to the final.
Djokovic winning on Sunday gets him to 16. Two slams away from Nadal.
Federer stays on his 20.
From then on I think 4 is doable for Nole over the next 2 years.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:30 am

But first he hasn't got to 20 so this can't be the battle for GOAT status, and secondly Djokovic's game is so tedious and limited that he couldn't be described as the GOAT by anyone outside of Serbia if he won whatever.

Greatest Wall, or Retriever, or most low-risk groundstroker of all time I'd give him now even if he never won another match. But GOAT tennis player? No chance.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:37 am

bogbrush wrote:But first he hasn't got to 20 so this can't be the battle for GOAT status
Every road starts with the first step.

bogbrush wrote:
and secondly Djokovic's game is so tedious and limited that he couldn't be described as the GOAT by anyone outside of Serbia if he won whatever.
Hehe, you cannot be serious...
As for the rest, I feel your pain. Winking ....not!  Cool

bogbrush wrote:Greatest Wall, or Retriever, or most low-risk groundstroker of all time I'd give him now even if he never won another match. But GOAT tennis player? No chance.

says who?
someone who calls himself "bogbrush" Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:41 am

Yeah, I'm an expert and I'm right. No point my disguising it.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:56 am

I am going against the trend even at the risk of jinxing it. Federer should win this. He has not lost a set in his last 3 encounters and know how to play Nadal.

Conds are against him and he is very tired but if there is no wind he should win the few key points he lost in Paris .... Even in slower conds than the French.... 

I WI therefore root for Agut.... Who keeps progressing!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Very tired? From what? Did his twins wake him up early?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:20 pm

DEC1M8 wrote:Very tired? From what? Did his twins wake him up early?
Playing the french, Halles et 5 more slams matches is deadly at 38.... We will talk about it I. 5 years when Nadal will reach that stage.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:22 pm

You predicted Fed to win, fine.
But be brave and own it, don't come up with beyond the pale excuses to rely on in case you don't get your prediction right.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:30 pm

I suspect Federer has reconciled himself to wherever the records finally fall as between him, Djoko, and Nadal - he may have the two big ones (No. 1 weeks and Slams), he may not.  

He can't stop them winning when he's not playing, he can't affect how long they play for, and he's happy to enjoy his tennis and compete his best to beat them whilst he can.  

He's had a joy that neither of them will ever have of seizing the Slam record relatively young and the No. 1 record not long after, so that he's had 10 years on tour as the slam record holder and recognition by many whilst playing as the Goat.  Every court he walks onto, or off, he's the guy most of the fans want to watch and to win.  Unlike Sampras, he won't be forgotten within a few years of having retired.

When the greats retire they gain perspective, there's less intensity about the game, and they can get on with other things - which Federer will certainly do.  If he slips to 2nd or 3rd in the slam pecking order I think he'll live with it.  For me I'd think it a shame that the greatest artist I've ever seen would have to rank behind either of Djoko or Nadal in the most important category, neither strike me as such good figureheads for what tennis is about.  I'll not like it if (when) he loses today or Sunday, and I'd love it if he won today, or on Sunday but I think I'm edging towards enjoying his matches for their own sake - let's see if my new-found magnanimity survives yet another Fedal encounter.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:33 pm

I hope more Fed fans share your perspective B_S.
I don't think there's much chance of Nadal catching up or overtaking Federer's slam count, however I think it's extremely likely that Djokovic will overtake the Swiss.

Even if Djokovic is remembered as the player who achieved the most, he won't get the love and recognition Federer gets, he doesn't have Federer's magical aura.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:38 pm

DEC1M8 wrote:I hope more Fed fans share your perspective B_S.
I don't think there's much chance of Nadal catching up or overtaking Federer's slam count, however I think it's extremely likely that Djokovic will overtake the Swiss.

Even if Djokovic is remembered as the player who achieved the most, he won't get the love and recognition Federer gets, he doesn't have Federer's magical aura.
Let's wait and see till they hang their racquets up.

After all, it was the masses that nailed Jesus to the cross.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:40 pm

noleisthebest wrote:

When Djokovic has retired with 21 Slams+, as is looking rather inevitable, you'll be very happy, you don't strike me as someone who cares about the perception of the masses.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:48 pm

noleisthebest wrote:

I'm not sure I'd compare Djokovic to Jesus - by all accounts he had a weak backhand, an average service return, and fell foul of the AELTC dress code.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 pm

DEC1M8 wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

When Djokovic has retired with 21 Slams+, as is looking rather inevitable, you'll be very happy, you don't strike me as someone who cares about the perception of the masses.
Well observed. Winking
It's not me that's the problem.
I'd like Nole to receive some proper love which I think he will in the end.

I want him to experience this moment at least once:

I wrote a poem about Nole once upon a time:

"There's plenty of fire in Novak Djokovic.
It's in his eyes to air coordination.

It's the way he walks on hot coals
and keeps burning.

And when dew is balmed and smoke starts rising for the night
His embers know no rest.
They burn and burn
They hurt that chest.

OH, stop and have a minute of silence
For the man whose fire knows no rest.
Oh, just this once, open heavens and pour some rain
For Nole and his flag bearer, Noleisthebest. "

Plenty of water went under the bridge since I wrote that, the flagbearer is fine now, though I'm pretty sure Nole is as well, hence these post match celebrations.

Still, for someone who played with 25000 people changing RO-GER, RO-GER and surviving by pretending they were cheering NO-LE, NO-LE...they, doesn't it bring a lump to your throat. Try to imagine that. Just try.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:09 pm

The 'love' may happen, but he has not got a style of play that excites the neutral and don't think it will if he progresses with his current excellence.  I've watched him at Wimbledon several times and there's no doubt he's well liked, his behaviour is courteous and sporting and his excellence is appreciated, but he doesn't kindle the fire or attract the sympathy vote of the vulnerable.

Murray needed to lose in 2012 and say he could cry like Roger but he wished he could play like him before being lucky enough to be able to come back weeks later at the Olympics. Fed seared himself onto the public consciousness with that marvelous win vs. Sampras in 2001, and the contrast of styles with Nadal made their reputations symbiotically inter-dependent.  Djoko truly arrived at the party a little too late, when Fedal was already established and Fed looked past his peak. His rivalries with both Fed and Nadal have been immense.  I have always enjoyed his matches with Fed, but he's never quite been one of the gang - maybe his parents' boorish behaviour at times contributed, maybe people feel he's too chippy and wants too much to be loved.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:23 pm

barry,
masses' love is not an object. Hasn't been for a very long time.
Media may bleat about it, but it's a toothless old dog now.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:24 pm

So you are having a dig against Mrs. Djoko?  I bet Junior Djoko loves him if that's what you mean.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:35 pm

barrystar wrote:So you are having a dig against Mrs. Djoko?  I bet Junior Djoko loves him if that's what you mean.
Oh barry....Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Fedal will be shitting their pants watching this Nole.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Not so much now....

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Djokovic is playing very well, he'll break back extremely quickly

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Come on RBA.

Anyone else supporting him?

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:01 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Fedal will be shitting their pants watching this Nole.
I'm not watching it. Is he running around really fast and reaching everything?

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:01 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Are you sure you're not watching it? Accurate analysis

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Emancipator wrote:Come on RBA.

Anyone else supporting him?
lol

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:02 pm

DEC1M8 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Yes - very solid until just recently.  Not just running.  Decent hands too.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:02 pm

bogbrush wrote:
nah, that's what Agut is doing. Nole making him run like crazy.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:03 pm

DEC1M8 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
Just call it a wild guess.  Cool

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:03 pm

barrystar wrote:
DEC1M8 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Yes - very solid until just recently.  Not just running.  Decent hands too.
He hit a couple of good half volleys, but his volleys have been poor, Agut had chances to pass on all of Djokovic's net approaches.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Be cool if this went to 12-12 final set and Fedal played under the roof.

:strokeswhitecat:

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:06 pm

bogbrush wrote:Be cool if this went to 12-12 final set and Fedal played under the roof.

Bogbrush focus on the road and don't let your imagination run too wild, we'll let you know if there's any prospect of that happening.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:09 pm

DEC1M8 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Be cool if this went to 12-12 final set and Fedal played under the roof.

Bogbrush focus on the road and don't let your imagination run too wild, we'll let you know if there's any prospect of that happening.
Thank you - not driving yet sadly that comes later. I hate this route too, I always picture myself driving off the edge at the key part - my mind just won't behave itself!

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:09 pm

The umpire is making her shirt work hard keeping it all in.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Djokovic saves 2 break points to hold, and that is the set over

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:10 pm

DEC1M8 wrote:Djokovic saves 2 break points to hold, and that is the set over

LOL ever the optimist.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Yeah Sad

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Is it normal for Djoko to wrap a towel around his waist like a corset at the break between games?

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next