Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
murray - Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
murray - Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
murray - Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
murray - Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
murray - Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
murray - Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
murray - Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
murray - Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
murray - Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over

+2
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
luvsports!
6 posters

Go down

murray - Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over Empty Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over

Post by luvsports! Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:28 am

Hi all,
Just starting my freelance gig with The Roar.
I need to write 9 more articles over the next couple of weeks and I will get around £15.60 an article  Laugh.
Gotta start the sporting journo career somewhere!

Please give this a read. Thoughts?
https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/08/22/andy-murrays-grand-slam-winning-days/

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

murray - Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over Empty Re: Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:55 pm

as Djokovic was 6-6 earlier this season before he went on a tear.

Did he? He has won but not looked convincing at all. He scrapped to Cincy final and was lucky to face a far worse Fed.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

murray - Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over Empty Re: Andy Murray's grand slam winning days are over

Post by luvsports! Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:11 pm

Well since then he has won nearly 30 matches and lost a few.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:49 am

Andy is toast.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:33 pm

LS I wouldn't pay you for that. Well for this recent column. Bit of advice (being a regular contributor of articles for publications and websites) When you state something has a specific feature, you have to state that said feature that separates it. You stated Fedalovic have killer shots and then with Djokovic "He just does everything a bit better than Murray" Isn't a killer shot is it? That ultimately gives the audience the view you don't know your subject matter that well. Just something to bear in mind on your journey into the world of writing smiley It's a lesson I've learnt once before.

To be frank, before his injury his Slam winning days looked all but gone. He started looking sluggish and he has always been more sceptical to defeats to the lesser ranked players than Fedalovic. It's been a vulnerability his entire career.

Hard to know with him what level his reaches and maintains. Have to consider the fact he didn't have the surgery sooner than he did and that also trying to return for a Slam first up wasn't the best idea. I even suggested waiting until the post slam season and build up match sharpness with months of 3 setters. It has the feel he hasn't really managed this injury well at all from the decision to have the operation to easing back into circuit to regain form and fitness. Andy seems to be raring to go and it's been stop start when his anticipated return would be and for me that isn't great prep.

For me I wonder will he be more vulnerable to knocks and other injuries ala Del Potro/Nishikori or will he like Stan just toil for this season and then really assess things come next season.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Ta for the constructive criticism, LK!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:04 pm

No problem LS. Want to see you stick to Fleet Street and even making it there! smiley

When you are getting paid, the criticism can be much harsher as I found a couple of years back when doing a piece on a major failed government contract and I remember highlighting a key piece of legislation and mentioned nothing about how it works and what the consequences are of being in breach of them. Needless to say the publication website followers dug me out over it! Essentially I got ahead of myself in the writing whereby I knew the beginning, middle and end and lazily skimmed where by I wasn't reading back to myself. The thing is when others want to be paid to write their views, they lay in wait with their knives purely because they want to be doing it. 

It's ultra competitive! Winking

But keep going!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:19 pm

Can I ask who you wrote for please?

Really interesting insight and good points. Thanks pal  Hug

Writing another one as I type!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:49 am

It was the Health Services Journal yonks ago. They don't pay for feature articles anymore (like most in my profession) and as a resulted archived a lot of stuff and charge you to view it. Typical really.

Essentially there were 3 key pieces of legislation and the one which had the most impact I totally skimmed on and hence the criticism I received. It's no big deal (I was paid like £20 for it) and essentially you become a target. Very similar in the guest speaking racket. Many think you are only telling them what they've heard before or experienced somewhere else before. So whether it be guest speaking or writing, the challenge from alternative viewpoints can be quite daunting but also exhilarating because if you are able to fend off or defend your position and win more support of your views, it can be make you feel 10 feet tall and similarly if you are challenged and have to yield, you feel 10cm tall. 

The key points for me when writing or even presenting:

- Know what it is you want to say. Have absolute clarity that everything you say fits together and relates. Articles need to be clean and have merit. 
- Consider what parts of your article are likely to be challenged and what implied counters you have to it. Others views carry some form of weight and you need to have reasonable counters, because if you don't, it gets blanketed on to your writing. 
- Never be dismissive of others views. Even when someone is being outright silly, indulge them, fluff them and then lure them into defeating their own position. Being able to confront others views is highly regarded as it presents the image you stick by your beliefs. 
- Stay true to your style. Anyone who writes or presents has a style that's their USP. Always remain loyal to it and never change. It's how the audience will remember you.

Last edited by legendkillar on Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stupid autocorrect!)

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:36 am

Applause Applause Applause

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:49 am

I liked this article although I also picked up on the fact you’d obviously started a train of thought based on the lack of a killer shot which didn’t work when you got to Djokovic!

Personally, I’d have probably focussed on whether he can change his game style and also the fact it would seem his injury is probably more severe than the others (hips being notoriously difficult to recover fully from - Guga and Magnus Norman might have been potential comparators. I’d have probably added the fact his career hasn’t been as successful as a final point as it feels to me that isn’t the key issue here and it was only once you started linking it to game style that I thought the article really started to flow.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:42 am

Ta Slippy.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:47 pm

At least videos were good on the website!! Laugh Laugh 

As for article, I learned a 2 new words:
indomitable 
tempestuous smiley

I was gonna comment on the article, but then LK comes and ruins it with his High-Gov procurement evaluations and NDA's  Laugh

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:21 pm

Laugh

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down