Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
court - Rod Laver Court speed EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
court - Rod Laver Court speed EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
court - Rod Laver Court speed EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
court - Rod Laver Court speed EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
court - Rod Laver Court speed EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
court - Rod Laver Court speed EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
court - Rod Laver Court speed EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
court - Rod Laver Court speed EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
court - Rod Laver Court speed EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Rod Laver Court speed

+4
noleisthebest
gallery play
Tenez
bogbrush
8 posters

Go down

court - Rod Laver Court speed Empty Rod Laver Court speed

Post by bogbrush Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:17 pm

I’m hearing repeatedly that the Vourt is playing faster than last year. What’s anyone think?

Obvious important implications should a certain two players meet in the final.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

court - Rod Laver Court speed Empty Re: Rod Laver Court speed

Post by Tenez Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:58 pm

John Millman was saying the balls were slower (fluffier) than last year....but he did not talk specifically about laver's court.

I can't tell. If it is, it is marginal I think.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:33 pm

Surely it changes from day to night. Not only the ball flies faster in the heat, the players do slow down too, which makes the court faster.

I doubt it's as fast -let alone faster- than last year. I do have seen quite some retrieving, besides, imo last year everyone talked about the faster conditions, this year not so much, or did i miss all of it?

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:00 pm

I must have heard it said three times that the Court was playing faster, and there’s always retrieval when so many players play somewhat passively (I could have retrieved most of what Zverev was sending down today, just a step or two to each side would do it).

I also don’t think it’s bouncing too much. That’s even more important.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Very simply look at Nadal and how he does tomorrow. IMO he doesn;t feel comfy on those courts. Remember last year he still reached teh final....though he played nobody again, apart Dimi the choker.

I think this year he has less chances to reach the final...in spite of an even easier draw.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:19 pm

If Fed and Nadal meet in the final, Fed will need to win in 3 sets, max 4 as he won’t have the luxury of extra day of rest.

The court is neither here nor there in this particular case.

Kyrgios may have a say, too.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:34 am

Tenez wrote:Very simply look at Nadal and how he does tomorrow. IMO he doesn;t feel comfy on those courts. Remember last year he still reached teh final....though he played nobody again, apart Dimi the choker.

I think this year he has less chances to reach the final...in spite of an even easier draw.

Alexander Zverev, monfils, raonic, dimitrov

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 am

Tenez wrote:Very simply look at Nadal and how he does tomorrow. IMO he doesn;t feel comfy on those courts. Remember last year he still reached teh final....though he played nobody again, apart Dimi the choker.

I dunno, Nadal's is very pumped up, celebrates even regular points. He looks like he's having fun out there.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 am

He’s only played lightweights so far. It’d be interesting to see how he would play focused Kyrgios (if that exists).

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:51 am

naxroy wrote:

These players are only hard if playing Fed Winking

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:38 pm

Anyway, back to the topic......

Does anyone think Rod would struggle with his movement now?

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:50 pm

He looked a little flat footed against Roger a few years back!

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:51 pm

I’d actually believe Tenez if he told me Laver’s fitness had fallen away midway through the first set!

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:03 pm

bogbrush wrote:Anyway, back to the topic......

I still laugh at the time legendkiller, during a debate on whether Roger was losing it physically or was better than ever posted that clip and said something like “you can see Rod still has it but he might have lost a step”.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:05 pm

gallery play wrote:

I dunno, Nadal's is very pumped up, celebrates even regular points. He looks like he's having fun out there.
Not what I saw today. I think the heat really affected him. he made so many UEs by his standard.

He even threw 4 balls in the net on returns in order to save energy for serving the 3rd set out. Nadal saving energy wa unthinkable last year.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:11 pm

DECIMA wrote:
naxroy wrote:

These players are only hard if playing Fed Winking
Once again, how can you be taken seriously?

Zverev has never passed the 3 rd round of a slam. Lost again 6/0 against Chung in spite of a full year of "improvement". Monfils can only run and has no weapons, Raonic has been injured for years and Dimi is just lucky to be in the tournament...He is the biggest chocker since Coria!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:17 pm

bogbrush wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Anyway, back to the topic......

I still laugh at the time legendkiller, during a debate on whether Roger was losing it physically or was better than ever posted that clip and said something like “you can see Rod still has it but he might have lost a step”.

What's very funny is that it was most of you guys, including McEnroe, saying he had lost a step in 2007....10 years ago!

Not many have the guts to say I was right once again, when talking about peaking. Now that I see Fed heavy on his feet this year, most of you I am sure can't see a difference with last year.

Aging by one year at 35 is not the same at aging by as much at 25!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:23 pm

We’d all seen him lose mobility years and years ago, and he did. Peak Federer coverered the Court like a blanket.

I don’t know what you’re on about here.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:29 pm

bogbrush wrote:We’d all seen him lose mobility years and years ago, and he did. Peak Federer coverered the Court like a blanket.

I don’t know what you’re on about here.

First it is not obvious he lost mobility up to 2014. he had back probleck whuich affected his mouvement, beut even last year all commentators were saying he was as fast as ever. So when you say he lost mobility "years and years ago" you are clearly making it up.

But most importantly, I was not talking about mobility, I was talking about peaking, even at the cost of losing mobility.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:46 pm

“Most commentators”? Are we being serious here?? Like Grinnng Greg and the Eurosport hyperbole crew?

If you’re talking about peaking why did you get involved with my post about Rod losing a step?

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:56 pm

You don’t need any commentators to see how good Fed’s footwork is.

It’s immaculate.

To me, his only problem is freshness of legs, looking light on the feet.

The court speed can make anyone look slower or quicker.

Nadal is certainly not comfortable in Melbourne courts and I think he finds hem mentally exhausting more than physically.

What sucks is tha Nole is in Fed’s half of the draw...which is al ost equivalent (for Nadal) as if AO was slow.

It’s all relative.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:57 pm

bogbrush wrote:“Most commentators”? Are we being serious here?? Like Grinnng Greg and the Eurosport hyperbole crew?
I should not have said "most" but all, including McEnroe himself contradicting his 2007 statement!

If you’re talking about peaking why did you get involved with my post about Rod losing a step?
It's linked, isn't it? It's also funny you say he lost mobility years and years ago when clearly it was not obvious but for some reasons can't see a difference between now and 12 months ago?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:05 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Nadal is certainly not comfortable in Melbourne courts
Agree with that.  Whatever the reason, he looked very uncomfortable last night.  You could see it in his face too.  He looked more tense than normal.  He was also making quite a few errors.  Schwartzman, even though he has no big weapons, was able to push Rafa around quite a bit.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:10 pm

I think Schwarzy has weapons.....but he himself became so inconsistent today.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Tenez wrote:
bogbrush wrote:“Most commentators”? Are we being serious here?? Like Grinnng Greg and the Eurosport hyperbole crew?
I should not have said "most" but all, including McEnroe himself contradicting his 2007 statement!

It's linked, isn't it? It's also funny you say he lost mobility years and years ago when clearly it was not obvious but for some reasons can't see a difference between now and 12 months ago?
I could see it but maybe I just see these things earlier.

I loved McEnroe the player. The commentator doesn’t hold a consistent opinion from one week to the next.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Tenez wrote:I think Schwarzy has weapons.....but he himself became so inconsistent today.
Yes, I was most surprised at how easily he was missing the BP...in the set I watched.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:19 pm

I did not see sets 3&4, but they were both quite inconsistent in the first two sets. Schwartzman actually played better in the first set than in the second. The second set was full of errors from both. Rafa went up a break three times, yet he was broken back every time.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:21 pm

summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Nadal is certainly not comfortable in Melbourne courts
Agree with that.  Whatever the reason, he looked very uncomfortable last night.  You could see it in his face too.  He looked more tense than normal.  He was also making quite a few errors.  Schwartzman, even though he has no big weapons, was able to push Rafa around quite a bit.
Yes, the tiny Schwartzman was even firing aces past Nadal...was it 15 in the first set ?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:23 pm

bogbrush wrote:I loved McEnroe the player. The commentator doesn’t hold a consistent opinion from one week to the next.
He used to be a great commentator when he first started. I think he has learned over the years that, with commentators, hyping things up is preferred to being honest.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:25 pm

With Mac, one just needs to discern when he is selling and when he is saying what he really thinks. Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:27 pm

noleisthebest wrote:was it 15 in the first set ?
I don't think it was 15, but it was quite a lot. I think maybe 5 in his first two service games, and then a few more after that.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Here is what Rod thinks about court speed this year.

Maybe he is not telling the whole thing but in any case, I see enough pace to make rafa uncomfortable...and look at the difference with teh USO! Huge.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:45 pm

noleisthebest wrote:With Mac, one just needs to discern when he is selling and when he is saying what he really thinks. Winking
Exactly.

But I do not really blame him for all that hype so much. Tennis is a minor sport in the US that needs to compete hard to even get space on major networks where most viewers are not tennis aficionados. And he is trying to sell tennis to that audience. All other sports that tennis competes against hype themselves, so he may as well hype tennis too.

I remember in the earlier days of Mac's commentary, his co-commentator (a professional commentator, not a tennis player) would talk about how fantastic the then-current players were compared to earlier generations, and how much better shots they were able to hit. Mac interrupted and started explaining how it was misleading to say so, because it was really the strings, and not the improved players, that had made those shots possible. His co-commentator was trying to nudge him away from that line of reasoning but Mac just went on and on. He would not make the same mistake now.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:16 pm

But when Mc said that balls were not making a big impact unlike his co-commentator Woodford who was saying balls were getting bigger and bigger or saying Nadal is the best volleyer, who does he sell that to?

I understand the hyping but saying in 2007 that Fed lost a step like other stupid things he said means he simply not that good a commentator. Koening Henman or Mats are simply better evaluating tennis.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum