Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Will Nadal ever win a Tour Finals title?
Greetings from Canada EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:49 pm by Daniel2

» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Greetings from Canada EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:18 pm by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Greetings from Canada EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Greetings from Canada EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Greetings from Canada EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Greetings from Canada EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Greetings from Canada EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Greetings from Canada EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Greetings from Canada EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Greetings from Canada

+3
luvsports!
N2D2L
bluenose
7 posters

Go down

Greetings from Canada Empty Greetings from Canada

Post by bluenose Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:55 pm

To introduce myself - I'm very much a Federer fan, and I follow the progress of Milos and Vasek with hope and pleasure.  I've enjoyed reading this forum for some time and I think I'm ready to offer some thoughts.  I've been mulling over 3 topics: family tensions, fan appeal, and a question I believe nitb posed awhile ago about what makes tennis attractive.  I'll start with the last one.

I think a great tennis match is like great sex, not about the ending but the exuberant play in getting there.  Of course there can be only one winner in a match, but both players can and should experience exhilaration in the contest.  I don't think of a tennis match as gladiatorial and I don't like to see anger and intimidation driving the action.  Challenges thrown and met, and the twists and turns of the intangibles like bad calls or wind gusts, provide much more excitement than domination.

As for the sport - is there any other sport that requires sustained individual competition in 3 dimensions in such a large arena?  Tennis asks you to play 3D chess at high speed in an extraordinarily physical fashion.  And there is no way to score, nothing to aim for but outwitting your opponent.  You can't drive for the basket, hit it out of the park, dump it in the goal...  Everything is open and shifting continually, and sometimes it seems even the player is mostly in the air with feet only touching down to shift momentum and direction.  Explosive action with total engagement - what could be better?

Cheers!

bluenose

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Canada Empty Re: Greetings from Canada

Post by N2D2L Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Good OP, welcome to the forum Thumbs Up

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Sex is like a game of racketball, you work up an appetite and hope you dont get hit in the eye! - Dr Cox.

Welcome Bluenose Big Grin

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Hello bluenose! (BN from now on)

welcome to OTF.
As you say, tennis is really one fascinating game with so many facets to it, it's almost inexhaustible in the ways you can look at it.
It's because it is so consuming in every way, because it engages the entire being: body, mind, emotions, passion, because you have another person to "fight" or play with or against on the other side of the net, and because none of all that would happen or even begin to exist without that little neon ball.
That fluffy thing that gives life and animates otherwise still life on court, every stroke of it is like a heart-beat.
Heart-beat of one life created by two people playing the game.

I find playing tennis thrilling,  and what gives me most thrill is hitting the backhand, as well as timing the serve well.
I just love the sounds that come off the racquet.

I have recently been playing with my BH grip and changed it slightly achieving a lot more pace with it.
I got so carried away with it and enjoying it yesterday, I started running around my FH!!!
I'll keep to myself the thought that went through my mind as I hit probably my best BH ever...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:09 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
I got so carried away with it and enjoying it yesterday, I started running around my FH!!!
You've been watching too much Benoit Paire haven't you Star 

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:12 pm

Watching tennis rarely gives the same thrill as playing, though, except when I watch Federer in full flight.
That can only be bettered by watching him live and close up.
The ultimate tennis experience for me would be to be able to play like him.
Just for a day, even an hour.
Lucky, lucky, lucky him with all the ability and talent he has.
Doesn't he use it well, and doesn't he enjoy playing for us all!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
You've been watching too much Benoit Paire haven't you Star 
Paire's BH is really exquisite in its deadliness and elegance, and I admire how he has managed to find a way to play super-attacking tennis with a DBH.
Having tried DBH myself once, there is no way he can enjoy hitting it like SBH.
I really have nothing against the DBH per se, but really believe it should not exist, in its essence, it has nothing to do with the concept of a BH, it's a hybrid shot which is neither a FH nor a BH.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:21 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
I really have nothing against the DBH per se, but really believe it should not exist, in its essence, it has nothing to do with the concept of a BH, it's a hybrid shot which is neither a FH nor a BH.
Somewhere in this line lies a contradiction, surely?
I think you do have something against the DHBH.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:26 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
It does and it doesn't.
I have everything against a DBH, but don't mind it in the sense that since it has been allowed, there is not a lot one can do about it.
If it was in my power, I'd ban it here and now.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:43 pm

....and I suppose one of the most attractive (among so many others!!!) aspects of a tennis game is its honesty.

There is just no mucking about on the tennis court!
You have to earn your win, you have to deal with your self, because sometimes the time almost stops in the middle of play and you want to get out of that capsule but you can't!
Just like in real life, you have to keep going, you have to drag yourself out of yourself, you can't stop playing until the match is finished.
And maybe its because of that honesty, we all get so upset when we see pros cheat with doping and rules bending.
And again, just like in everyday life, there are people you love playing and those you don't.
Most of the time, I don't even register the person, just the ball.
Always different and always new.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:38 am

noleisthebest wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
It does and it doesn't.
I have everything against a DBH, but don't mind it in the sense that since it has been allowed, there is not a lot one can do about it.
If it was in my power, I'd ban it here and now.
So would I.  But the real issue isn't the DBH, it's again the conditions that have allowed it to become such a weapon.  So really attacking the root cause would stop any need for it to be outlawed.  However, let's say they standardized equipment here and now, I'd say yes, it needs banning.  Only the most talented players could hope to have an excellent 1 handed backhand.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:43 am

Regardless of conditions, I really don't think DBH is a weapon.
Weapon is, or at least should be something that enables you to attack, move forward, take initiative.
DBH is just a tool for those who play baseline tennis, something that is there to annul real weapons.

Almost like a doped shot: giving you more stability and essentialy safety esp on returns, but taking away all the pleasure and beauty in everything else you do with it.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:34 am

And one final thought before I fly away to dreamland.
The thing I find really appealing about tennis is the door/exit/escape it offers out of everyday grind.
It's a little bit like stepping into a different reality, where all the rules and limitations of place and time that chain us in our lives: habits and repetitive routines they all fly out of the window on a tennis court.
There, anything can happen!
However little ability we have, we can do what we like! We can create, be silly, we can fly and survive, I just think that's fabulous! love

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:44 am

bluenose wrote:As for the sport - is there any other sport that requires sustained individual competition in 3 dimensions in such a large arena?  Tennis asks you to play 3D chess at high speed in an extraordinarily physical fashion.  And there is no way to score, nothing to aim for but outwitting your opponent.  You can't drive for the basket, hit it out of the park, dump it in the goal...  Everything is open and shifting continually, and sometimes it seems even the player is mostly in the air with feet only touching down to shift momentum and direction.  Explosive action with total engagement - what could be better?

Cheers!
Welcome on board Bluenose.

I am not sure tennis is being outwitting your opponent. I am not sure if you noticed but the king of outwitting is Federer and he is nowhere to be seen at end of slams anymore. The guy who won the last 12 slams (bar Wimby12) is simply the fittest guy. And that also contradicts your second part of that paragraph. It's not open, not been shifting for a while, It's been the same players not using explosiveness but lungs and stamina for most of the recent past.

Certainly the tennis you describe is pre-2005...not since.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Canada Empty Greetings from Canada

Post by bluenose Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:16 am

I've been outed as old!  But I think you misunderstood the meaning of shifting - I meant the target shifts.  And what I saw in the semifinal O2 was Federer very much outwitting Nadal but missing on the closer.  Over and over.  I don't yet believe that he will not recover the accuracy.  And I still think that his inexorable creep forward is one of the most scary sights on the court because it is so rare and unpracticed.  I'm a long way from giving up on Roger.

But yeah, I grew up in the northern wilds with 2 very fine tennis parents but not even a backboard among the sled dogs.  When we finally moved outside and got tv I was horrified by the antics of the US players.  Edberg was my guy.  And Martina!  There was a long stretch where women's tennis was more interesting than men's.

And for 10 years Roger has been a touchstone with my mother who is far away but with our time zone difference we've been able to keep each other informed.  So I do have a sentimental attachment; that is something I'm mulling over for later. 

And I don't think anybody understands the geometry of the court like Roger, because nobody consistently pops the surprises he does.  The way he took Wimbledon 2012 was amazing, and I don't believe it's over.

bluenose

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly 81 Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:30 am

bluenose wrote:And I don't think anybody understands the geometry of the court like Roger
I don't think anybody understands tennis like Roger. One interesting thing about the WTF this year was that they interviewed the players about their tactics. I can only find two examples but you can see the difference between Roger and Nadal here quite startling.

Federer:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXgv4nqEBoo (6:10 in)

Nadal:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K3mTttRJBE

When Roger retires, I hope he starts commentating. That, would be a feast for the ears.

Polly 81

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:12 am

Massively agree with that Polly. Expert analysis.

BlueNose did you catch any of Canadian Milos Raonic's commentary at the O2?
It was actually very good. Much better than his tennis! Was pleasantly surprised and so much better than Cowan and gormless grinning greg, albeit that isn't saying much.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:08 pm

What Federer is saying with nice words (using DNA) is that he is more talented than Gasquet.....or gutsier than Gasquet.... or both. Gasquet used to be able to take the ball quite early young but with the change of strings and spinnier ball he felt he had to stand further back to give himself an easier ball to time.

Federer is the SHBH player who take the ball earliest. It's easier to do with a DHBH but with a SHBH one needs amazing timing (especially with today's spinny balls) and guts. This is why he has been the only SHBHer able to challenge the top guys and even win slams in the last 9 years.
If you don't have that exceptional talent AND guts, you simply have no chance to win a slam with a SHBH nowadays. It's as simple as that.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Polly 81 wrote: I can only find two examples but you can see the difference between Roger and Nadal here quite startling.

Federer:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXgv4nqEBoo (6:10 in)

Nadal:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K3mTttRJBE .
I posted these two on the WTF thread, again, Fed and Nadal but after different matches (Delpo and Berdych)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:48 pm

bluenose wrote:To introduce myself - I'm very much a Federer fan, and I follow the progress of Milos and Vasek with hope and pleasure.  I've enjoyed reading this forum for some time and I think I'm ready to offer some thoughts.  I've been mulling over 3 topics: family tensions, fan appeal, and a question I believe nitb posed awhile ago about what makes tennis attractive.  I
I found that original thread, it was started by Tenez:

https://ourtennisforum.forumotion.co.uk/t235-watching-tennis-what-is-it-all-about

I did another one where I just do my tennis musings as they come to me, last thig was how I think I'd feel if I won Wimbledon.
Would be interesting to hear from others too. I can't be the only one with such high ambitions Cool 

https://ourtennisforum.forumotion.co.uk/t195-is-tennis

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:43 am

Good threads indeed NITB.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down