Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Will Nadal ever win a Tour Finals title?
Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:49 pm by Daniel2

» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:18 pm by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw

+4
luvsports!
BlueClay
Tenez
noleisthebest
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw Empty Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:27 pm

I noticed one thing never runs out of fashion among tennis fans: predicting who is going to win a tournament!

Some do it for money and bet, some like me go with the flow and do it for fun while some I call the "Told-you-so" types take it very seriously!

Whatever the reason, here is the biggest tournament of the year, the one everyone wants to win (even the bar lady in my tennis club who has never picked up a racquet in her life!), the glorious, the Dream, the one and only Wimbledon!

So who is going to win it this year?

The tournament is played on grass and so far, the most successful of the current players is Roger Federer, who also happens to be the defending champion.
He comes to Wimbledon fresh with his first trophy of the year from Halle. 
He said he has been playing well and is happy with his form and fitness.

The bookies make him the 4th favourite.

Novak Djokovic won his only Wimbledon title during his magical 2011, and just like in 2011, comes to Wimbledon after a heart-breaking SF loss in Roland Garros.
He has been working hard on his serve and volleying, seems to be fit and hungry. A win in Wimbledon would secure his number one ranking and heal many wounds.

Bookies make him the first favourite for the title.

Andy Murray has never won Wimbledon, but has tasted the atmosphere of the final last year, comes to SW19 well-rested after skipping French Open, and winning Queens. Will the customary burden of his nation cause him to crumble or lift him up like it did during the Olympics? 
Is he going to do what his coach never managed to?

Bookies think he has a good chance and make him the 2nd favourite.

Rafael Nadal who managed to win Wimbledon twice, comes to England with no official tournament preparation, but we all know he will have practised hard on some grass courts somewhere...
A Wimbledon win would not only bring him his 13th slam, but also make a return to number one position a realistic possibility in 2013.
He will be seeded number 5, so a lot will depend on his draw, especially during first week.

Bookies think he is the  3rd best man to win the title.

Of course, there is that chance that somebody completely new may come out of nowhere, go on a crazy streak of form and confidence, do a Goran and sneak the trophy away. An old dog? A young gun? who knows.....

Who is your favourite?

OFFICIAL DRAW
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ms/r1s4.html

Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw On-your-marks

Last edited by noleisthebest on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw Empty Re: Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Yes but the "told you so" can be really frustrating, especially when it's down to one guy throwing a slam away by touching the net after a smash.

As if those who predicted Nadal coudl have foreseen Djoko messin it up big time. Quite similar to Federer throwing so many leads v Djko, Delpo and Nadal.

Anyhow I still like to predict so I'll say something which coudl wrong foot every body....including the top 4.

- I predict the champion this year will be outside the top 5....unless it's Federer. Not that I believe much in his chances but should his back hold, he can do it.

- I predict Nadal to go out in teh 1/4F or before. (I know. All my negative predictions seems to bring him luck).

- Delpo and Tsong in 1/4F or better.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw Empty Re: Wimbledon 2013: The Favourites, Seedings, Draw

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:41 pm

I am notoriously useless with this type of predictions, indeed, who could have predicted a Rosol?

However, as usual, I am dragging my feet into this and "predicting" that Rosol will be in Nadal's quarter, but won't play him.

How about Gulbis making it to the semi-final or losing in the first round?

or....Delpo, Berdych and Murray not making it into week 2!

Tsonga to play in the final and lose to Nole.

or...Nole to play Fed and I cry and laugh whoever wins Winking

All these can fail....but may this one not:  Nadal never to bite that trophy again!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:48 pm

I also predict that Blueclay will predict Nadal will win. Bookmark it!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:07 pm

I could also envisage the end of Federer's 1/4F run. If he has one of those days...

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:53 pm

Tenez wrote:I could also envisage the end of Federer's 1/4F run. If he has one of those days...

How very cruel!
If it has to happen, may it not be Wimbledon. And if and when it happens, may heavens open and stop play for the rest of whichever tournament it is.

Btw, is any court around the world likely to call their Centre Court after Fed one day?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:02 am

In Basel? Doh

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:04 am

If ever I build a tennis court somewhere some day, I'll call it the Roger Federer court.
I'll try to make it a grass one, too smiley

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueClay Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:23 am

noleisthebest wrote:I also predict that Blueclay will predict Nadal will win. Bookmark it!

Ha, ha. Unlike you, I need to see a draw before I make any predictions but even so I don't think I could do any worse than your predicitions. Last time I checked I predicted Nadal would win the FO and you predicted Djokovic would without doubt win it. What happened there? Cool How about your prediction that Cilic would beat Murray today at Queens? tongueout

Without looking at a draw, the three faves are Nadal, Murray and Djokovic (all equal faves pretty much) with Federer coming in fourth imo.

BlueClay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:35 am

BlueClay wrote:

Ha, ha. Unlike you, I need to see a draw before I make any predictions but even so I don't think I could do any worse than your predicitions. Last time I checked I predicted Nadal would win the FO and you predicted Djokovic would without doubt win it. What happened there? Cool How about your prediction that Cilic would beat Murray today at Queens? tongueout

Without looking at a draw, the three faves are Nadal, Murray and Djokovic (all equal faves pretty much) with Federer coming in fourth imo.

No you didn't, you said both Djokovic and Nadal were the favourites.
That aside, where did I say Cilic would beat Murray at Queens?

Finally, I'll take your prediction talent seriously once you summon courage to join us in the tournament prediction game, what do you say? Cool

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:06 pm

I must say Murray seems pretty solid and with the crowd I coudl certainly see him go all the way. Plus he will get some help from the organisers.

I can see him in Ferrer's draw (that woudl be Murray's choice). Expect a bit of help if he gets into difficulty such as footfaulting opponents on key points or a "replay the point" after a bad favouring call.

But maybe he won;t need any of this...We shall see. Interesting to see how Djoko recovers from his collapse at the FO.

Can't wait.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Yes, draw could be key.
In theory, Novak could land Federer and Nadal in his half and potentially play Murray in the final....
It's hard to imagine the same scenario happening for Murray, isn't it?
I still think Novak, Nadal and Fed would beat Murray in Wimbledon.

I wouldn't bank on the crowd when it comes to Murray, esp if he plays Fed or Nadal.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:36 pm

I see it the other way nitb. I think on grass murray can beat novak, atm beat feds but not beat rafa.
Djoko's weakest surface imo is grass and I think he can be beaten on it by a wider range of players than anywhere else where, especially by murray.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:54 pm

I won't speculate on who Federer can or cannot beat nowadays cause for me he can beat them all or lose to all. His form has got too much variation nowadays.

However regarding the other top players I'd say:

Djoko > Nadal
Murray > Nadal
Murray ? Djoko...again difficult to predict which Djoko turns up but I agree with LS that Djoko seems the more vulnerable on the way to the later stages. Though having said that Murray has been struggling quite a bit too in his runs to finals.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm

luvsports! wrote:I see it the other way nitb. I think on grass murray can beat novak, atm beat feds but not beat rafa.
Djoko's weakest surface imo is grass and I think he can be beaten on it by a wider range of players than anywhere else where, especially by murray.

You are falling for the hype LS.
Don't forget Nole's won Wimbledon and Murray hasn't.

Murray is not going to win a slam with the other three around, USO was a draw/scheduling fluke. I just think the three are better players than him and he has nothing to beat them with if they play their game. I saw a bit of Murray at Queens, he is the same as last year. Despite his muscly CC FH, he is simply too passive.

I wouldn't read too much into that Olympic gold. Stan could take Murray out, Berd, too. Even Gulbis.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:34 pm

I am not getting carried away nitb.
For me novak was riding on an extraordinary wave of confidence in '11 but as a grass court player I feel murray is more comfortable on the surface.
Novak is better on clay and hard but I think murray is better on grass.

I agree murray does struggle through slams. He can play very well one match (e.g. raonic us open 2012) and then very poor in other matches (lopez & cilic us open 2012). 

If murray gets a good draw (i.e. a ferrer, or seeds 6-8) and then only have to play a feds/djoko I think he has a good shot, but I just don't rate his chances that much against rafa. 
Djoko (who i think is a worst grass courter than rafa) can beat rafa on grass imo if he moves well (he didn't vs feds last year). SLice works well vs djoko and especially on grass. Feds especially but murray also have that ability to knife slices.

I actually want to see a murray nadal qf 2bh. Just to see where murray is at mentally vs rafa.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:44 pm

luvsports! wrote:I am not getting carried away nitb.
For me novak was riding on an extraordinary wave of confidence in '11 but as a grass court player I feel murray is more comfortable on the surface.
Novak is better on clay and hard but I think murray is better on grass.

I agree murray does struggle through slams. He can play very well one match (e.g. raonic us open 2012) and then very poor in other matches (lopez & cilic us open 2012). 

If murray gets a good draw (i.e. a ferrer, or seeds 6-8) and then only have to play a feds/djoko I think he has a good shot, but I just don't rate his chances that much against rafa. 
Djoko (who i think is a worst grass courter than rafa) can beat rafa on grass imo if he moves well (he didn't vs feds last year). SLice works well vs djoko and especially on grass. Feds especially but murray also have that ability to knife slices.

I actually want to see a murray nadal qf 2bh. Just to see where murray is at mentally vs rafa.

Why do you think that?
The only thing Murray has over Nole is his BH slice, which really undoes him as he uses it just to stay in the rally, never to attack, so in the big picture not even that is an advantage.
The only guy better on grass than Nole is Fed.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:11 pm

Murray strength on grass over Djoko is that rallies are shorter and Murray can hit a heavier and safer ball than Djoko and for the reason you said on the BH. BH is very important. This is where most UEs and forced errors are generated.

But having said that Djoko should probably get many chances to break Murray so for me it;s a close call .

The best of Djoko would beat the best of Murray in my view cause Djoko's serve and FH is still considerably better. Murray has the better volleys but not that relevant I feel nowadays.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Murray uses volleying only as safe and forced put-aways, Nole is at the net a lot more often than him these days.

How would heavier and safer balls from Murray work out in shorter rallies against Nole?

Nole is only ever troubled by players who mess up with his rhythm and footwork on grass, i.e use lots of variety (Fed, Tomic). Murray does not play that game, and in a weird way that's how he beat him in USO, because he was forced to slow things down and use more variety and control because of the wind.

Murray would need a very bad day from Nole and a super easy draw in order to beat him in Wimbers final. Nole would have to get there first, too.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:28 pm

I suppose I am just tired of Murray-mania. I've been putting up with it for the last 7 years....every year the same story!

The guy is just desperate and everything about him is forced and shoved down your throat.

It took 2011 from Nole to shut most people up.
The years of having to endure: Murray's more talented, has better BH, deserves to win a slam, best player not to have won a slam, blah-blah blah...and why?

Just because he comes from the UK! Well, I couldn't care less.

There are loads more interesting players who play nicer tennis, have more interesting game and personalities than him.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:57 pm

Just dug this out from the Olden BBC 606 times, particularly enjoyed reading the second comment in the thread, one of the many visionary ones over the years Winking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/F14986480?thread=6986799&show=50

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:59 pm

The problem I have with Murray is that we can only assess his talent with his huge muscly frame meaning we have no clue to really assess his talent alone. We cannot say he makes things look easy (def of talent) cause we know his muscles are not natural and are detrimental to his game. Even his volleys are good cause like all those players who have a big strong arm they can manipulate the racquet and control the ball better...but once again what is teh part of talent in his game? no-one really knows.

I'd say the same of Djoko btw....whereas with Nadal we know he cannot take the ball early...so that sorts it out.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:01 pm

Tenez wrote:The problem I have with Murray is that we can only assess his talent with his huge muscly frame meaning we have no clue to really assess his talent alone. We cannot say he makes things look easy (def of talent) cause we know his muscles are not natural and are detrimental to his game. Even his volleys are good cause like all those players who have a big strong arm they can manipulate the racquet and control the ball better...but once again what is teh part of talent in his game? no-one really knows.

I'd say the same of Djoko btw....whereas with Nadal we know he cannot take the ball early...so that sorts it out.

I wouldn't. The very fact he does not need to muscle the ball as much as Murray says everything. His forehand is a lot more versatile and natural, too.
Nobody really talented chooses to play passive tennis.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks NITB.

I also said back then that Murray might win a slam or 2 but that would be due to favourable circumstances. I think his USO12 is just that.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:05 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
I wouldn't. The very fact he does not need to muscle the ball as much as Murray says everything. His forehand is a lot more versatile and natural, too.
Quoting works now?
Good.

Djoko muscles the ball too....less than Murray but he does. Djoko is often the passive player.

Coria was an extremely talented passive player.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueClay Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:11 pm

[quote="noleisthebest"][quote="BlueClay"]

Ha, ha. Unlike you, I need to see a draw before I make any predictions but even so I don't think I could do any worse than your predicitions.[b] Last time I checked I predicted Nadal would win the FO [/b]and you predicted Djokovic would without doubt win it. What happened there? Cool How about your prediction that Cilic would beat Murray today at Queens? tongueout

Without looking at a draw, the three faves are Nadal, Murray and Djokovic (all equal faves pretty much) with Federer coming in fourth imo.[/quote]

No you didn't, [b]you said both Djokovic and Nadal were the favourites[/b].
That aside, where did I say Cilic would beat Murray at Queens?

Finally, I'll take your prediction talent seriously once you summon courage to join us in the tournament prediction game, what do you say? Cool[/quote]

I said Djokovic and Nadal were the favourites but I clearly said repeatedly on this forum that Nadal would win the FO, go back and read my posts. I was ridiculed and some people disagreed with me saying that there was no way Nadal was going to win (why would the man who won the FO seven bloody times win it again, gee, I don't know, that is a tough one! Doh)

Not sure what the prediction game is, it is a separate thread? I don't have the time to watch a lot of the matches especially matches bewteen complete mugs. I have always been pretty good at predicting outcome of matches though, you especially don't want to compete with me (no offense, but your predicting skills seem particularly awful.Run )  I thought I specifically read you said Cilic would beat Murray or was it you were just rooting for Murray, either way Murray is a lot better than Cilic and to have much hope that Cilic will beat Murray when Murray clearly owns Cilic is pretty dumb if you ask me.

BlueClay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
Quoting works now?
Good.

Djoko muscles the ball too....less than Murray but he does. Djoko is often the passive player.

Coria was an extremely talented passive player.

Yes, I have been fiddling with this new options bar and clicked a few boxes until it worked! Cool
I know he muscles it a bit but nowhere near as much as Murray, which is why he can last a lot longer than him. I suppose that's how he adjusted to slower conditions and his baseline game and also able to beat Nadal. It works perfectly well for him on hard courts and clay. He didn't always muscle it, though.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Tenez wrote:Thanks NITB.

I also said back then that Murray might win a slam or 2 but that would be due to favourable circumstances. I think his USO12 is just that.

You are preaching to the converted, if only others could see your talent! Applause

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueClay Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Tenez"]Thanks NITB.

I also said back then that Murray might win a slam or 2 but that would be due to favourable circumstances. I think his USO12 is just that

So, if you don't think Nadal is going to win any more slams and now you say Murray may not win any more slams, who does that leave? Do you honestly think Djokovic is going to win all the slams in the next two years or so?  No way, not going to happen imo.

BlueClay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:22 pm

BlueClay wrote:
Not sure what the prediction game is, it is a separate thread? I don't have the time to watch a lot of the matches especially matches bewteen complete mugs.

You don't have to watch any matches in order to make predictions. You just predict who is going to win them. We have the game during slams usually, and we had it for this RG, as well, I'm pretty sure you posted comments on those from time to time.
I used to be a bit funny and didn't want to play it for years, but then finally caved in, it's good fun, so long as you don't take it too seriously smiley

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueClay Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:44 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
BlueClay wrote:
Not sure what the prediction game is, it is a separate thread? I don't have the time to watch a lot of the matches especially matches bewteen complete mugs.

You don't have to watch any matches in order to make predictions. You just predict who is going to win them. We have the game during slams usually, and we had it for this RG, as well, I'm pretty sure you posted comments on those from time to time.I used to be a bit funny and didn't want to play it for years, but then finally caved in, it's good fun, so long as you don't take it too seriously smiley

If I did, I did not pay attention to the thread or predictions. I will check it out though for W.

BlueClay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Andy Murray has just grown in my eyes after this statement, I'm pretty sure Gulbis would approve, too:

"I know there will be a lot of interest in the draw this year as Rafael Nadal looks like being seeded fifth, but as a player you can't get too obsessed about the draw," Murray wrote in his BBC column. “I'd sign up to be in the quarterfinals against Rafa tomorrow if someone offered me that. You could say if I get through that match then the semifinal might not be as tough, but if you want to win the biggest tournaments you have to beat the best players in the world. It doesn't really matter where they are in the draw."

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Players talk about their faourite spot in Wimbledon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dTsFvtnmtMk

Mine is anywhere there with  the sunny sky above and  Pimms in my hand, really...bring it on!!!! smiley

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:41 pm

BlueClay wrote:
Tenez"]Thanks NITB.

I also said back then that Murray might win a slam or 2 but that would be due to favourable circumstances. I think his USO12 is just that

So, if you don't think Nadal is going to win any more slams and now you say Murray may not win any more slams, who does that leave? Do you honestly think Djokovic is going to win all the slams in the next two years or so?  No way, not going to happen imo.
One can only analyse the data of the time. Could I predict that Nadal would miss 7 months in a row? Could I predict he woudl come back stronger than before? All the best commentators were also surprised and apparently even Nadal was surprised. Could I have enevisaged that Djoko would blow that FO semi so close from the finishing line? Even if you predicted a Nadal win, does that make you a better predictor? Had Nadal won Djoko a bit more convincingly fine, but what conclusion can be drawn out of such match? Nothing really bar that we know now that even Djoko can blow matches away....until now he was the one snatching wins of matches considered lost.

With Federer often impaired by his back, things are opening up for Murray. Also another factor is the physicality of the game pushed by Nadal, Murray and Djoko has delayed the arrival of the new generation. The mature guys can afford to travel with a team of fiitness people and doctors while the yougsters just about can afford coaches which has also increased the gap and delayed the arrival of youngsters.

But I have said they will soon come into the scene and when I say soon I mean within 12 months. They will start to really get the better of those 3 physical players. For now they now they can get a set or 2 at best but lack the fitness to do better but in 12 months things can change very quickly.

Anyway...difficult to redict who's going to win the next 4 slams but certainly Djoko is the favourite for those next 4....though of course he is unlikely to win the 4 of them.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueClay Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:38 pm

Tenez wrote:One can only analyse the data of the time. Could I predict that Nadal would miss 7 months in a row? Could I predict he woudl come back stronger than before? All the best commentators were also surprised and apparently even Nadal was surprised. Could I have enevisaged that Djoko would blow that FO semi so close from the finishing line? Even if you predicted a Nadal win, does that make you a better predictor? Had Nadal won Djoko a bit more convincingly fine, but what conclusion can be drawn out of such match? Nothing really bar that we know now that even Djoko can blow matches away....until now he was the one snatching wins of matches considered lost. 
With Federer often impaired by his back, things are opening up for Murray. Also another factor is the physicality of the game pushed by Nadal, Murray and Djoko has delayed the arrival of the new generation. The mature guys can afford to travel with a team of fiitness people and doctors while the yougsters just about can afford coaches which has also increased the gap and delayed the arrival of youngsters. 
But I have said they will soon come into the scene and when I say soon I mean within 12 months. They will start to really get the better of those 3 physical players. For now they now they can get a set or 2 at best but lack the fitness to do better but in 12 months things can change very quickly.

Anyway...difficult to redict who's going to win the next 4 slams but certainly Djoko is the favourite for those next 4....though of course he is unlikely to win the 4 of them.

I was not surprised that Nadal would come back after his 7 month absence and be stronger than before because I never beleived he was badly injured to begin with. You can best believe he was not sitting on his ass during that 7 month absence and he was working on a plan to come back stronger.

Yes, I am going to bet you right now that I will be more successful with predictions than you will be. That does not mean I will always be correct but I will be more correct than you will be. I am confident about that. Winking

For me Djokovic has not been anywhere near his 2011 self since the USO 2011. I don't think he will repeat a year like 2011 and I suspect that may be his peak year. I think he will win more slams but not three in a year and the many other titles won like in 2011.

I also disagree with you about the physicality of the game being the factor that is keeping the youngsters at bay. My opinion is that the current group of youngsters is a weak group, not as talented as the young Borg's, Federer's, Sampras', Nadal's, etc. They should be having better results against the top four by now. Sure at some point they will eventually win slams because somebody has to win them but I don't see any true greats in this current bunch. Hopefully some more talented and even younger players will come onto the scene soon.

BlueClay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:42 am

Wimbledon seedings coming out today and McEnroe, as usual, talks for the sake of talking:
"In my opinion there is no doubt he should be in the top four.

I don't think anyone would be put out, whatsoever. Wimbledon is the only one of the four majors that can change the seedings.

I don't know how they do it exactly, apparently there's some kind of formula, but clearly he should be one of the top four seeds in my book.

If he ran into Ferrer in the quarter-finals it would be the same old, same old because Ferrer is used to running into one of the big four in the last eight.

But if Nadal played Djokovic in the quarters, or possibly Murray or Federer, that would be a big difference, and absolutely wrong for that to happen, in my opinion."

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:41 am

I don;t understand why people don;t like those big matches earlier than expected. That's what tennis is about. Like in the past we only had 16 seeds so you could have bigger matches early on.

Nowadays they not put 32 seeds, make sure that in the first rounds no-one get too high a ranked player (USO!!) and even change th econds to make sure the fav players get far! McEnroe has turned into a circus show salesrep. Sad.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Men's seedings announced for Wimbledon:

GENTLEMEN'S SINGLES

DJOKOVIC, Novak (SRB) [1]
MURRAY, Andy (GBR) [2]
FEDERER, Roger (SUI) [3]
FERRER, David (ESP) [4]
NADAL, Rafael (ESP) [5]
TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried (FRA) [6]
BERDYCH, Tomas (CZE) [7]
DEL POTRO, Juan Martin (ARG) [8]
GASQUET, Richard (FRA) [9]
CILIC, Marin (CRO) [10]
WAWRINKA, Stanislas (SUI) [11]
NISHIKORI, Kei (JPN) [12]
HAAS, Tommy (GER) [13]
TIPSAREVIC, Janko (SRB) [14]
ALMAGRO, Nicolas (ESP) [15]
KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp (GER) [16]
RAONIC, Milos (CAN) [17]
ISNER, John (USA) [18]
SIMON, Gilles (FRA) [19]
YOUZHNY, Mikhail (RUS) [20]
QUERREY, Sam (USA) [21]
MONACO, Juan (ARG) [22]
SEPPI, Andreas (ITA) [23]
JANOWICZ, Jerzy (POL) [24]
PAIRE, Benoit (FRA) [25]
DOLGOPOLOV, Alexandr (UKR) [26]
ANDERSON, Kevin (RSA) [27]
CHARDY, Jeremy (FRA) [28]
DIMITROV, Grigor (BUL) [29]
FOGNINI, Fabio (ITA) [30]
BENNETEAU, Julien (FRA) [31]
ROBREDO, Tommy (ESP) [32]

GO NOLEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!diva

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:04 pm

Ferrer seeded 4th?? I was not hoping for that. but its fine, I can enjoy watching some tennis on green turf.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Apparently 2 Wimby 1/4Fs (Ferrer) was better than a final and a second round (Nadal).....Fair enough I say.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:19 pm

I don't know why everyone is so upset with Nadal's seeding, nobody cared when Delpo had to come back from his legitimate wrist surgery after a year and defend his USO title.
I am so happy Nadal failed to push though that 2 year ranking and resigned from Players' Council in a strop like a big baby.
Incredible selfishness.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:34 pm

I am just interested to know how he is going to do in that second part of the year.

I bet he is going to give his all once again....but it might be all down to him.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:49 pm

I think a lot will depend on how well he does in Wimbledon.
Draw coming out on Friday, looking almost more interesting now that at RG.

I can't imagine him killing his precious knees on American hard-courts, although I still can't get my hear around his win in IW.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Well we will learn a lot of his knees soon.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueClay Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:37 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I think a lot will depend on how well he does in Wimbledon.
Draw coming out on Friday, looking almost more interesting now that at RG.

I can't imagine him killing his precious knees on American hard-courts, although I still can't get my hear around his win in IW.

There is nothing seriously wrong with his knees.

BlueClay

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueClay Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:38 pm

Tenez wrote:Well we will learn a lot of his knees soon.

What is there to learn? If you believe he was serving a silent provisional suspension then how can you possibly believe he has serious knee problems? Did it look like he had serious knee problems to you in the FO SF against Djokovic?

BlueClay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Unlike you I don't come up with you views without arguments and I also recognise that my views and opinions can be false.

yes I do believe there is a great chance he was banned. Can I be certain that he was banned and his knees are fine? no. Could he also have knee problem ? maybe. Can he have knee problems, yet be banned? yes possibly too.

This is why I say we will learn in the next few weeks and months. More data more analysis....for those who observe and think!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Tenez wrote:Unlike you I don't come up with you views without arguments and I also recognise that my views and opinions can be false.
Well I don't think I've ever seen you admit you've got anything wrong before.
For example, you talked about how Toni changed nadal from right to left handed when he was seven. I have shown you evidence about the fact that Nadal has played left handed tennis since he was young, and the only change when he was seven was from a double handed FH to a single handed FH. You just totally ignored that, somehow.

Also I haven't seen you admit that you got your prediction for FO wrong. Soon you will claim that you predicted Nadal to win, and everyone will back you up to cover your back.

I am still waiting to see if your prediction of a young player breaking through in a slam by the end of 2013 comes true or not, there is still time left in the season for you to prove me wrong in that- I am going to be fair.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueClay Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Tenez wrote:Unlike you I don't come up with you views without arguments and I also recognise that my views and opinions can be false.

yes I do believe there is a great chance he was banned. Can I be certain that he was banned and his knees are fine? no. Could he also have knee problem ? maybe. Can he have knee problems, yet be banned? yes possibly too.

This is why I say we will learn in the next few weeks and months. More data more analysis....for those who observe and think!

How can people "think" on this forum when you act like you are some kind of cult leader? You go on and on about "free thinking" but the truth is that is not what you really want on this forum, what you really want is for all members to be your sheep. Funny coming from somebody who was banned from another forum and did not like the fact that he could not offer his own opinions and think freely on that forum. Are you really any better here or are you being hypocritical? "Think" about that.

In terms of Nadal, I don't have to think about anything. I think he was serving a provisional suspension and that he does not have serious knee problems. The whole injury sequence after the W loss does not make any sense and is not in line with a person who claims to have those type of knee injuries. People with those type of knee injuries do not jet ski and jump off of boats.

BlueClay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:02 pm

BlueClay wrote:
How can people "think" on this forum when you act like you are some kind of cult leader? You go on and on about "free thinking" but the truth is that is not what you really want on this forum, what you really want is for all members to be your sheep. Funny coming from somebody who was banned from another forum and did not like the fact that he could not offer his own opinions and think freely on that forum. Are you really any better here or are you being hypocritical? "Think" about that.

In terms of Nadal, I don't have to think about anything. I think he was serving a provisional suspension and that he does not have serious knee problems. The whole injury sequence  after the W loss does not make any sense and is not in line with a person who claims to have those type of knee injuries. People with those type of knee injuries do not jet ski and jump off of boats.

I see it now, you just don't like the fact that there is somebody that knows more than you, just like Lydian&co on v2...

That's a shame, because smart people recognise those that are good at something and learn from them. None of us know everything. Why is that so hard to accept?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next