Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Will Nadal ever win a Tour Finals title?
Roland Garros - 2019 - Page 10 EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:49 pm by Daniel2

» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Roland Garros - 2019 - Page 10 EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:18 pm by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Roland Garros - 2019 - Page 10 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Roland Garros - 2019 - Page 10 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Roland Garros - 2019 - Page 10 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Roland Garros - 2019 - Page 10 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Roland Garros - 2019 - Page 10 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Roland Garros - 2019 - Page 10 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Roland Garros - 2019 - Page 10 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Roland Garros - 2019

+12
legendkillar
N2D2L
barrystar
Slippy
Emancipator
noleisthebest
bogbrush
naxroy
Tenez
summerblues
sphairistike
Jahu
16 posters

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

Roland Garros - 2019 - Page 10 Empty Re: Roland Garros - 2019

Post by summerblues Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:14 am

noleisthebest wrote:All the beauty [...] is in Nole's corner.
:headscratch:

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:15 am

Top 4 all in SF. And these are also the best four clay courters currently. Should be a good day of tennis. Hopefully not two blowouts.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:18 am

I just had to take a day off tomorrow to watch this.  Fed-Rafa scheduled to start 6:50am my time.  Told my boss that if Fed loses the first set 6:1 in 30 mins, or by some such margin, I will probably end up coming to work after all.  I don't think I am interested in watching another 2008 RG final.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:37 am

So the Konta match has been moved to an outside court. 

The FO organisers are nothing short of totally fucking useless. Now I am not a Konta fan, but crikey they've opened up a whole can of worms that will bring the whole sexism debate back to the fort. That aside, why wasn't this done with Nishikori/Paire match? Just from a scheduling perspective they knew the match was never getting on the show court to be completed within the day. 

Their level of incompetence is quite bewildering.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:07 am

Tenez wrote:
naxroy wrote:It is funny how somebody in a tennis forum can even think that the number one player in the world has no talent.

If they were using talent they would be much less consistent....a la Stan.

Talent is about making something difficult look easy....Nadal and Djoko are all about sweat. Nadal even more than Djoko.

Unfortunately, you are the one who doesn't know much about tennis....that's not a big deal...but don;t pretend.

as you take this debate to a matter of tennis knowledge, and you consider that I dont know much on the subject...

do you consider Brad Gilbert to know about tennis? he more or less shares my opinion

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:09 am

Bottom line is that people have bought tickets and the organisers are giving them what they want. If meeting customer demand is sexist, then so be it (it isn't, it's giving people what they paid for).

But alternatively we could be really even handed, put one of the women semis on Chatrier and move Fedal or Djoko/Thiem to wherever because after all, equality. I mean, if I'd bought tickets for Chatrier I'd be furious but I'm only a paying customer so who do I think I am standing in the way of womens rights to bore the f*ck out of me? That makes me basically Hitler so I probably need punching.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:13 am

legendkillar wrote:

Their level of incompetence is quite bewildering.

I do agree with this

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:16 am

bogbrush wrote:Bottom line is that people have bought tickets and the organisers are giving them what they want. If meeting customer demand is sexist, then so be it (it isn't, it's giving people what they paid for).

But alternatively we could be really even handed, put one of the women semis on Chatrier and move Fedal or Djoko/Thiem to wherever because after all, equality. I mean, if I'd bought tickets for Chatrier I'd be furious but I'm only a paying customer so who do I think I am standing in the way of womens rights to bore the f*ck out of me? That makes me basically Hitler so I probably need punching.

it is a sexist decision, no doubt about that

but above all is a total disaster of an organisation

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:41 am

bogbrush wrote:Bottom line is that people have bought tickets and the organisers are giving them what they want. If meeting customer demand is sexist, then so be it (it isn't, it's giving people what they paid for).

Not so sure. I mean mixed doubles over a womens singles? You'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that is more appetising. 

I don't believe for a second it's a decision driven by sexism given a) the chaos of the scheduling on a dry day when there was carryover from Sunday to Monday and b) The weather. 

Like you I agree the paying customer expects the best showing, but again they have to manage expectations too. Even big names bore the shit out of me. 

My gripe with this fucking doubles taking priority on a show court? They've created a shitstorm with a somewhat bizarre decision.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:41 am

Tenez wrote:Djoko Zverev match was the perfect demonstration of how fitness plays such an important role in tennis. Djoko who was trying to win quick with risky shots found himself with no choice but to extend rallies when a break down. He played that game running all balls down and put pressure on Zverev to go for too much.

Under pressure, it is always harder to pull winners as Zverev once again found out.

I told my son Djoko would win the next 2 sets 62 62 which he did.

This is what some don't understand here. Sheer talent plays no role in tennis unless you have enough like Fed and Stan...it's all about fitness.

(NB not that Zverev has talent but versus Djoko he had no choice but to be the risk taker).

Zverev lacks fighting spirit. He often gives up the match like he did yesterday. The moment he was unable to serve for the 1st set, the match was done for him.

For now Zverev doesn't have the game to beat Djoko in b05. He plays like Murray but doesn't have Murray's fitness to back that kind of play. No wonder his bo3 and bo5 stats are so different.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:52 am

DEC1M7 wrote:I want everyone who doubted Tenez on his peak at 35 theory, to pledge to apologise to him if Federer either beats Nadal or takes him to 5 sets.
NITB as you have stood by him so loyally you will be the only one not required to apologise.

I'd go a step further and suggest you don't need to apologise, but rather act as Tenez's cup bearer for all of eternity Winking

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:01 am

Just wow. Konta 5-3 up 2 BP's and manages to the go on to lose the set. 

The true spirit of a bottlejob.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:14 am

legendkillar wrote:

Not so sure. I mean mixed doubles over a womens singles? You'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that is more appetising. 

I don't believe for a second it's a decision driven by sexism given a) the chaos of the scheduling on a dry day when there was carryover from Sunday to Monday and b) The weather. 

Like you I agree the paying customer expects the best showing, but again they have to manage expectations too. Even big names bore the shit out of me. 

My gripe with this fucking doubles taking priority on a show court? They've created a shitstorm with a somewhat bizarre decision.
Couldn't agree more, doubles should be pushed out. Hell, it's only short matches, can't see why they don't give them 3 matches.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:18 am

If you look at the crowd on Simonne-Mathieu for a SF, RG's scheduling makes sense from bb's perspective of giving the punters what they want, but I suspect that another reason was sporting fairness.  

It would be unfair to put the women's SF's one after the other if they are expecting rain delays today but hope to get the final done tomorrow, so you want them played at the same time.  It would also be unfair for one SF to be on Chatrier, where the F will be played, and the other on Lenglen - so to get them both played at the same time it makes sense that you need to be away from Chatrier.

Also, putting Federer v. Nadal on anything but Chatrier would be an absurdity - and for those who say it's unfair, I think that both players have somewhat earned their status, haven't they?

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:21 am

But RG is a poorly organised shitshow - does anyone else find it oddly difficult to get live scores from their cruddy website?

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:21 am

bogbrush wrote:
legendkillar wrote:

Couldn't agree more, doubles should be pushed out. Hell, it's only short matches, can't see why they don't give them 3 matches.

I wish I knew. Granted not the most star studied line up on the Women's side, but putting doubles above it was always going to be a red rag to the WTA and every SJW in the galaxy.

Just random.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:23 am

barrystar wrote:But RG is a poorly organised shitshow - does anyone else find it oddly difficult to get live scores from their cruddy website?

I find it difficult to get to any page without them trying to flog me a frigging towel!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:25 am

barrystar wrote:If you look at the crowd on Simonne-Mathieu for a SF, RG's scheduling makes sense from bb's perspective of giving the punters what they want, but I suspect that another reason was sporting fairness.  

It would be unfair to put the women's SF's one after the other if they are expecting rain delays today but hope to get the final done tomorrow, so you want them played at the same time.  It would also be unfair for one SF to be on Chatrier, where the F will be played, and the other on Lenglen - so to get them both played at the same time it makes sense that you need to be away from Chatrier.

Also, putting Federer v. Nadal on anything but Chatrier would be an absurdity - and for those who say it's unfair, I think that both players have somewhat earned their status, haven't they?

I would agree if the punters truly wanted mixed doubles over a singles SF. I'd be amazed if the majority would want that. 

Last point I agree. Don't think anyone bemoans such a decision. 

It's an odd decision with the Womens SF, more so at the back end of the tournament.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:29 am

legendkillar wrote:Just wow. Konta 5-3 up 2 BP's and manages to the go on to lose the set. 

Could be worse. Barty had two set points in the first set with Anisimova serving at 0-5 15-40 and she still lost the set.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:29 am

Can you fill me in on this mixed doubles thing - did that happen a day or so ago I've been pretty busy and missed this tournament.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:37 am

barrystar wrote:Can you fill me in on this mixed doubles thing - did that happen a day or so ago I've been pretty busy and missed this tournament.

Apologies it's womens doubles. They moved Konta match stating it will give all the singles matches the opportunity to be completed. I am not so convinced by that logic, however I am not of the belief it was a decision driven by sexism either. 

Just piss poor scheduling.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:38 am

summerblues wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Just wow. Konta 5-3 up 2 BP's and manages to the go on to lose the set. 

Could be worse.  Barty had two set points in the first set with Anisimova serving at 0-5 15-40 and she still lost the set.

Don't know about that. Watch the 15-40 point Konta had. Went for a FH drive volley (when she didn't need to) made a hash of it and went on to lose the set.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 am

naxroy wrote:
Tenez wrote:
naxroy wrote:It is funny how somebody in a tennis forum can even think that the number one player in the world has no talent.

Talent is about making something difficult look easy....Nadal and Djoko are all about sweat. Nadal even more than Djoko.

Unfortunately, you are the one who doesn't know much about tennis....that's not a big deal...but don;t pretend.

as you take this debate to a matter of tennis knowledge, and you consider that I dont know much on the subject...

do you consider Brad Gilbert to know about tennis? he more or less shares my opinion
Indeed it confirms it... He is the most useless commentator....he was also the least talented player.... Winning ugly sums him up quite well...

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:42 am

legendkillar wrote:
barrystar wrote:Can you fill me in on this mixed doubles thing - did that happen a day or so ago I've been pretty busy and missed this tournament.

Apologies it's womens doubles. They moved Konta match stating it will give all the singles matches the opportunity to be completed. I am not so convinced by that logic, however I am not of the belief it was a decision driven by sexism either. 

You mean they moved it from Lenglen today?  That seems to me to be completely logical for the reasons I gave, which seem to mirror what RG has said.  There's no major advantage/disadvantage between Lenglen and Simonne-Mathieu given that the final is on Chatrier.  

I think that the real problem is this stupid thing that all the slams bar Wimbledon do of not having distinct Men's and Women's SF and QF days.  They might gain on the TV, but it invariably creates unfairness between different sides of the draw, and those are exacerbated when conditions interfere with the schedule.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:43 am

Konta gifts the break back with a DF. 

Someone get her a bottle of Covonia.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:48 am

barrystar wrote:
legendkillar wrote:

You mean they moved it from Lenglen today?  That seems to me to be completely logical for the reasons I gave, which seem to mirror what RG has said.  There's no major advantage/disadvantage between Lenglen and Simonne-Mathieu given that the final is on Chatrier.  

I think that the real problem is this stupid thing that all the slams bar Wimbledon do of not having distinct Men's and Women's SF and QF days.  They might gain on the TV, but it invariably creates unfairness between different sides of the draw, and those are exacerbated when conditions interfere with the schedule.

Did it yesterday I believe. 

I still don't see the logic given that the duration of matches won't surpass the Mens SF and there is still the risk their matches won't be completed today. I would've agreed if either of the mens were on Lenglen and Chatrier respectively. 

Giving priority to a doubles match? Lunacy. 

Also don't get why the men are not on already. Surely you want as much time as the day can afford.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:52 am

Tenez wrote:
naxroy wrote:
Tenez wrote:

Indeed it confirms it... He is the most useless commentator....he was also the least talented player.... Winning ugly sums him up quite well...

yeah he was a shit coach too
Tenez, you keep on mistaking talent with your own personal taste

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:55 am

Konta what a choker. She won't get a better chance to reach a Slam final. 

Kudos to Vondrousova.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:55 am

Ooof - there goes Konta.  What a shame that familiar frailties get a grip of her when the draw had (relatively speaking) opened up.  She won't get a chance like that again.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:56 am

Love Inverdale "That was a painful watch for 1 hour and 49 minutes"

Laugh Laugh

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:04 pm

About the scheduling.  To me the most problematic part is scheduling mens' matches consecutively rather than side-by-side.  With the weather forecast as is, it is conceivable that Rafa/Fed will finish today but Nole/Thiem may have to play at least a portion of their match tomorrow.

But I suppose, from the organizers' perspective, that will be ok, as that will not ruin their tournament schedule and they will be able to play the final on Sunday.  But as a player, I would not be too thrilled.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:05 pm

Good luck Roger!

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:09 pm

Come on Fed, crush himmmmm

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:14 pm

Fed starting to fuck around with BPs.

Why is he hitting the ball so soft

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:19 pm

That's a shame - I expected the match to last longer than 13mins.

At least one doesn't have to go through the agony of hope.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:19 pm

Don't kill yourself Jahu, Federer has no chance in this match.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:19 pm

With this wind, it looks like a junior match,, balls and players moving and runing and turning like they shiuldnt.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Dear Sad

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:21 pm

bogbrush wrote:Don't kill yourself Jahu, Federer has no chance in this match.

You're right chief, happy to see Fed in SF, good enough if he takes Halle and W smiley

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:22 pm

The wind has affected Federer negatively

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:22 pm

summerblues wrote:Dear Sad

Go back to.work SB, suckssss

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Bit of a shame to have such ugly conditions for such an important match.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:31 pm

Keep it uppp, take 1st set!!!

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:32 pm

Yeah baby smiley

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:32 pm

All easy holds downwind, all struggles again the wind.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:37 pm

Ffs no ball is going where the players want it.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Focus Fed focus, no need to rush, could of hit another easy FH there.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Man it’s a struggle against the wind

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:42 pm

This is pretty awesome stuff in these conditions

Emancipator

Back to top Go down