Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens - Page 6 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens

+10
gallery play
Tenez
Emancipator
bogbrush
Daniel
luvsports!
legendkillar
naxroy
barrystar
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
14 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens - Page 6 Empty Re: Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens

Post by Emancipator Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:21 pm

That was proper shite.

Getting bullied on the baseline by freaking Coric - a pusher.

I wouldn't wanna see what happens against Djokovic in week 2 of the slow W courts.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens - Page 6 Empty Re: Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens

Post by Emancipator Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:22 pm

He's had his serve broken so many times in the last 2 weeks.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:24 pm

I wouldn’t get too stressed, he’s played lengthy matches on successive days and two events in two weeks, so a week off and back to alternate days matches will be much better for him.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Only Djoko loss today, can compensate this loss  Laugh

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:26 pm

Coric is much improved from prior years, even from earlier this year.  He, unlike some other kids, also always looks quite focused - no temper tantrums.

I never thought of him as a grass court player, but he will be dangerous at Wimbledon if he can keep this up.

Fed was okish, not great.  I expect he will be better at Wimbledon, butt we shall see.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:29 pm

Fed won 97 points, Coric 89. Not even close. And yet it was not enough. Fed was too passive on many of the big points.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Emancipator wrote:Getting bullied on the baseline by freaking Coric - a pusher.
Coric has improved immensely though.  Would be interesting to see average pace of his ground strokes today compare to even IW/Miami.  I have never seen him hit with that much pace.

Also, let's face it, Djoko is also a bit of a pusher, and it got him 12 slams.  Coric can at least play at the net.

Coric was hitting a lot of solid deep shots today.  I am not quite with Tenez and am not going to suggest he was as good as peak Nole, but he was quite good.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:40 pm

This is the third painful loss this year: Delpotro, Kokkinakis and now Coric!!!!

They all sucked in their own way...but all had the same thing in common: Fed's tired legs.

Hopefully he'll be able to get away with his age in Wimbledon with day's rest(s).

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:43 pm

Ok lets agree, maybe as good as Andy's peek  Big Grin

Happy for Coric, his only second win in a Final. Looks like a quiet well-behaved guy.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Come on Cilicccc, crush himmmmmmmmm

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Fed looked really tired at the end. He is a bit like Nadal nowadays.....he has to win everything in 2 or in 3 in slams.

Bit unlucky! not to have won it in 2....but this showed his fragility over the distance again.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:48 pm

noleisthebest wrote:This is the third painful loss this year: Delpotro, Kokkinakis and now Coric!!!!

They all sucked in their own way...but all had the same thing in common: Fed's tired legs.

Hopefully he'll be able to get away with his age in Wimbledon with day's rest(s).
This is his third loss of the year too.  I think he will be fine at Wimbledon but maybe I was right that he should have tanked Halle.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:56 pm

It will be funny if Fed fails to win Halle but Djokovic wins Queens.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:34 pm

Becker in the crowd, came to suck a little money from Djoko to pay his bankruptcy debts.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:16 pm

nole's looking better on grass than he did on clay, less energy sapping for him.
Moves and returns quite well.
Title in Queens would be just what the doctor ordered for his confidence.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Wow, that was an amazing point for 40:00!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Stats confirming Cilic is pushed back on his service games.
I don't think he's ever beaten Nole.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:32 pm

Nole is looking pretty impressive.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Just like Fed, Nole throws his TB away.

I hope he crushes gorilla Cilic in the 3rd. He just gets on my nerves with his ugly faces and boring tennis.

All that in your face fistpumping and cried like a baby vs Fed last summer....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:13 pm

Cilic's mum must still be visiting that pharmacist.

Nole has made him run loads and Cilic still looking fresh despite the weight and size he is carrying around.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:14 pm

The court at Queens looks in a much better state than Halle.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Is that the camera angle or Coric was hitting harder than Nole?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Oh that was 2 very nervous shots from Djoko. It doesn;t matter how many slams you have won....when one lacks confidence, it s difficult to get it back.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Grr

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:45 pm

Good win for Cilic.

First 2 sets probably the worst of this year.

Third much better.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:45 pm

Tenez wrote:Is that the camera angle or Coric was hitting harder than Nole?

What you mean? Djoko shots had half the power that Coric had today.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:46 pm

Has Cilic finally become better than the RRunners? Now that he is 29 he seems able to have the confidence and knowledge to beat those guys.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Jahu wrote:

It looked to me to be the case but I would have liked to have the view of someones slightly less partial when it comes to Nole than you! Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:48 pm

So the 27+ is the age now where tennis players get real and mature.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Tenez wrote:
Jahu wrote:

It looked to me to be the case but I would have liked to have the view of someones slightly less partial when it comes to Nole than you! Winking

You're so modest  Laugh

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:36 pm

Tenez wrote:Has Cilic finally become better than the RRunners? Now that he is 29 he seems able to have the confidence and knowledge to beat those guys.

He was certainly the more clutch player today. 

No one can retrieve his best shots. He just needs to string those together at the right time. Like he did today.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:42 pm

Wow.  I could only watch midway through the second set.  Did not see this result coming.  Very much against the flow of play.  Cilic looked the better player in the first set but he lost it.  In the second set while I was watching, Nole looked better and Cilic was barely hanging on.

Still, this was the best I have seen Nole play in a while.  It was not sexy, but he was scampering around the baseline like in the bad old times.  He could be dangerous at Wimbledon.  Cilic may well be the 2nd best grass courter right now, and Nole almost beat him.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:43 pm

gallery play wrote:
Tenez wrote:Has Cilic finally become better than the RRunners? Now that he is 29 he seems able to have the confidence and knowledge to beat those guys.

No one can retrieve his best shots. He just needs to string those together at the right time. Like he did today.
Yeah.  Take Cilic's game and Delpo's nerves and you have some player.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:45 pm

Glad you notice because Marin's without a doubt the most underrated player on OTF

Last edited by gallery play on Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:45 pm

summerblues wrote:Croatia could have two winners today.  And their soccer team is doing well too.  Good times.
They did it.  This must be the first time ever Croats won two ATP titles the same week?  Now, while that is all fine, I hope we will not have Coric vs Cilic in the Wimbledon final.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:49 pm

gallery play wrote:Glad you notice because Marin's without a doubt the most underrated player on OTF
Oh, not with me.  I said last year that when Delpo and Cilic had first come out, I thought they were kind of similar but Cilic the better of the two (even though for a long time it did not pan out that way).  And I remember somebody (maybe even you?) agreeing with me.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:51 pm

noleisthebest wrote:ABC
I think I figured this out.  smiley  Really, should have been obvious to me right away.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:53 pm

gallery play wrote:Glad you notice because Marin's without a doubt the most underrated player on OTF
There must be a reason for that.

His game was not bad when he turned up, he had nice movement played all-court tennis.

Then he beefed up and started playing flairless percentage tennis entrenched on the baseline + making those ugly faces.

Now his timing has matured, he gained confidence in the absence of big 4 last two years and he is a dangerous player.

I just don't like watching him.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 pm

summerblues wrote:
Oh, not with me.  I said last year that when Delpo and Cilic had first come out, I thought they were kind of similar but Cilic the better of the two (even though for a long time it did not pan out that way).  And I remember somebody (maybe even you?) agreeing with me.
I think they are not that alike. Delpo is -despite his power- a point constructor. Marin can't wait to pull the trigger: it's his strength but also his weakness. 

They differ 6 days in age but to me Delpo is a player of the past and Marin a potential slam winner for upcoming years.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:32 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
There must be a reason for that.

His game was not bad when he turned up, he had nice movement played all-court tennis.

Then he beefed up and started playing flairless percentage tennis entrenched on the baseline + making those ugly faces.

Now his timing has matured, he gained confidence in the absence of big 4 last two years and he is a dangerous player.

I just don't like watching him.
no way! Marin certainly doesn't play percentage tennis. He always hits loads of winners/ue's

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:45 pm

gallery play wrote:
no way! Marin certainly doesn't play percentage tennis. He always hits loads of winners/ue's
I saw him beat Fabio in RG in 5 sets, from quite close up...and he looked percentage compared to Fabio... Cilic didn't outplay, but outmuscled him. In fact, some idiot yelled out during Fabio's both first and second serve when he was advantage down, so he double-faulted and lost.

Cilic's  game is now based on heavily physical safe-ish shots.
There is nothing subtle there, just raw spin. That's the missing link for me. I don't like any one of his shots in particular. His used to have a nice flat inside out FH in the early days.
Now, he is almost as physical as Nadal in a way.

He has obviously found a way to play like that within himself and win.

But not the kind of player I'd ever get up to watch in the middle of the night.

To me, he was a lot more watchable when he was young and just starting, moved like a panther.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:27 pm

well, fed tried to keep number one but he couldnt

we will soon see if this effort was for good or not

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:48 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
gallery play wrote:
I saw him beat Fabio in RG in 5 sets, from quite close up...and he looked percentage compared to Fabio... Cilic didn't outplay, but outmuscled him. In fact, some idiot yelled out during Fabio's both first and second serve when he was advantage down, so he double-faulted and lost.

Cilic's  game is now based on heavily physical safe-ish shots.
There is nothing subtle there, just raw spin. That's the missing link for me. I don't like any one of his shots in particular. His used to have a nice flat inside out FH in the early days.
Now, he is almost as physical as Nadal in a way.

He has obviously found a way to play like that within himself and win.

But not the kind of player I'd ever get up to watch in the middle of the night.

To me, he was a lot more watchable when he was young and just starting, moved like a panther.
I also think he lacks subtility and finesse. It's not a player with great variety,  nor is he aesthetically pleasing to the eye. His shot selection is quite edgy too.

But...he is one of the very very few players out there who can hit through the RR's and that's good enough for me.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:05 pm

I just saw the photo from presentation in Halle.
Fed with a bunch of flowers & plate, Coric with that big trophy.
The sight is unreal!

I can't believe it happened.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:16 pm

gallery play wrote:
I also think he lacks subtility and finesse. It's not a player with great variety,  nor is he aesthetically pleasing to the eye. His shot selection is quite edgy too.

But...he is one of the very very few players out there who can hit through the RR's and that's good enough for me.
ok then! Big Grin

Though it's more that RRs finally run themselves into ground...
Maybe today's match is the beginning of that trend.

So far, Delpo was always more dangerous for Nole than Cilic. He just has that FH that wreak havoc through Nole's defence.
I am more uncomfortable when Cilic plays Fed these days...

But I agree that Cilic is the future, strong and steady on both wings...didn't know they were only a week apart...like Nole and Murray.

Delpo stays behind in the old era...which I will miss for real weapons.

It's all Nadal's fault.

The king of spin and sweat really killed tennis.

I wonder what it would have been like today if he had stayed in that village of his playing football...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:28 pm

Nadal gave so much to tennis

both nadal and federer, so different, owe so much to the other one

without nadal, federer wouldnt have reached such heights

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:23 pm

Yep, and then Djoko came with his Nadal v2 and ruined tennis for all.

Will be remembered as someone who from holding 4GS to falling to 0, in less then a year.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Jahu wrote:So the 27+ is the age now where tennis players get real and mature.
I have been telling you this for the last 10 years!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:28 pm

gallery play wrote:

Well yes but that his problem the last 10 years. And I still think he is too emotional. It's palpable. I know that next time he will find himself in very intense situation he is more likely to collapse than most.

But again, if he proves me wrong fair enough. But last time he had a poor Federer, he did not make the most of it.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:33 pm

summerblues wrote:
https://www.atpworldtour.com/en/players/fedex-head-2-head/juan-martin-del-potro-vs-marin-cilic/d683/c977

And thus in spite of Delpo being injured most of the time.

Cilic impresed me only once....and that was when he beat Federer at the USO....but I am pretty sure that Fed made hi look better than he was.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next