Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Wimbledon Draw - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Wimbledon Draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Wimbledon Draw - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Wimbledon Draw - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Wimbledon Draw - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Wimbledon Draw - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Wimbledon Draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Wimbledon Draw - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Wimbledon Draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Wimbledon Draw

+9
noleisthebest
Veejay
Emancipator
Daniel
Jahu
gallery play
Slippy
bogbrush
Tenez
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wimbledon Draw - Page 2 Empty Re: Wimbledon Draw

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:10 pm

Tenez wrote:
... wrote:His tennis is very much like Nole's in terms of the game, though he is very bad at the net and doesn't venture there much..not even in an exho!
Actually, there was nothing impressive about him.
So you mean he is really like Nole!
Nah, Nole is the daddy for Zverev in terms of flair...however crazy it may sound. Even at the net!!!

Zverev is so dull it's unbelievable!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:14 pm

Jahu wrote:
... wrote:
My kind friend once more gave me tennis tickets so I went to Boodles yesterday.

I stopped reading there, no friend gives tickets for free  Laugh

Glad you had a good day.

It was ok...I can't believe I'm saying it but I didn't want to go.

I stopped buying tickets  to go there a few years ago.

Now amd then I'd close my eyes and enjoyed listening to birdsong, it's a beautiful venue.

All you golf lovers should visit it.

You yahoo would LOVE it but for a different reason!

Loads of Annabells, overtanned, overgroomed middle aged tipsy ladies desperate for attention, loads of stuffy be and wannabe businessmen...I felt sick!

Even behind me there was a row of about 10 Russians who wouldn't stop blabbing and cracking stupid jokes non stop.

Last edited by ... on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:15 pm

You're so sensitive, actually one can not get a sense of what you like or enjoy, you're all so refussing of the world.

Settle down girl  Big Grin

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:15 am

Why isn't Chung playing Wimbledon? He is such a recreational player!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:34 am

Ankle injury unfortunately.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:04 pm

gallery play wrote:Route to the final

Djoko:
Klizan, Escobedo, Delpotro, Monfils or Lopez, Berdych, Fed

Fed: Dolgo , Lajo, M. Zverev, Dimi, Rao, Djoko

Murray: Quali, Brown, Foggi, Kyrgios, Tsonga/Waw/Verdy, Nadal

Nadal: Millman, Young, Khacha, Karlo/Muller, Nishi/Cilic, Murray
Looking at this, the draws are relatively even. 

Novak has the tougher of the early rounds, with both Klizan and DP being very tough for R1 and R3. However, he then has relatively good draws for R4/QF. Murray has a reasonably easy start but then has probably the toughest R4/QF opponents. Nadal has an easy start but then a bunch of giant servers from R3 onwards. Fed has an easy start (an out of sorts returning from injury Dolgo is not a tough draw on grass) but Zverev and Dimitrov are relatively tricky.

Overall, I think Rafa has slightly the worst draw and Novak slightly the best, however there isn't a complete imbalance as can sometimes be the case.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:25 pm

Slippy wrote:Overall, I think Rafa has slightly the worst draw and Novak slightly the best, however there isn't a complete imbalance as can sometimes be the case.
I agree with that. Delpo has not played for a while and he is a bit static for grass.

For me Djko is the favourite for the tournament. Had he played Fed in the early round no...but after 5 matches my money woudl be on him.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:30 pm

I think Fed is the clear favourite. Novak just got hammered by Thiem at the last slam and I can't see him turning that around on his worst surface. When he comes up against one of the top guys, I don't think he will be able to produce.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:34 pm

He has won it 3 times....i would not call that his worst surface....

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Me neither. Djokovic is a real threat this year.

Nadal draw isn't all that straightforward - he's got Khacha in R3 and Cilic potentially later.

R3 is his biggest risk what with the grass still present then.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:25 pm

I wonder whether Djokovic will have the confidence and intensity to win a tough match against one of the top players. Monbye doesn't count.

Hopefully not  Big Grin

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:27 pm

Emancipator wrote:I wonder whether Djokovic will have the confidence and intensity to win a tough match against one of the top players. Monbye doesn't count.

Hopefully not  Big Grin
Yeah, that's my view. I think it's hard to see him beating one of the top guys here.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:31 pm

Fair enough, I guess I'm just so stoked for Federer to claim #8 / #19 that I'd like him to get a seedless procession!

Sad fanboy, I know....

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Agree re draws - fairly well balanced this time.

I do not see Djokovic beating Federer if Fed plays anywhere near as well as he has been playing lately.  Fed is the favorite for me (crazy at almost 36, but here we are).  I can only see Fed lose in one of two ways:

1.  Fed himself is not playing well.  This could happen for variety of reasons (injury, tiredness, who-knows-what).

2.  Fed loses to Rafa.  Rafa is the only player where I do not feel certain that a well playing Fed would defo win.  After their match in Miami I thought their further matches would be boring, with Fed now having the answers, but having seen Rafa on clay I am no longer so certain.  Rafa played well at AO (which was an awfully close match) but nowhere near as well at IW/Miami.  He then upped his form starting somewhere around Barcelona.  It could be that in his current form he is difficult for Fed - even with Fed's new BH.  Also, I am not sure if Fed's new BH will be quite as game-changing on grass as it was on hard courts as he relies on taking the ball awfully early, and that is harder to do on grass.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:27 pm

I concur regarding Rafa's form and if he finds his grass court game he will be tougher to beat now than at IW/Miami.

However Fed 'should' beat him - in theory he should have too much game for Rafa on grass. In the past I felt the matchup + his mental demons made the task bigger than it needed to be. Hopefully this time around he won't come in with mental scars and the matchup aspect, albeit it might still be slightly problematic on grass, should not be as big a factor as in the past. So it should come down to who is the better grass court player. That 'should' be Federer every time.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:30 pm

With Djokovic it's nearly always been about who plays better on the day. One doesn't neutralise the other in the way that Rafa used to to do to Roger. In 2015 Federer just didn't turn up and in 2014, whilst he played a good match, it wasn't quite at his top level, whereas Djokovic played one of his best matches.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:39 pm

He was v v good vs Zverev though.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:40 pm

Call me crazy but I am not worried about Djokovic.  Rafa is the problem because of the match-up, but there is no match-up problem against Djokovic.  If anything, I feel that it is Djoko that needs to play at a higher level than Fed in order to beat him - i.e., if they both play "equally" well, Fed will take it.

Most of the losses that Fed accumulated against Djokovic in recent years came while Djokovic was far superior to Fed in terms of overall level of day-in-day-out performance.  And yet, Fed kept many of those matches quite close.

I just see zero reason to think Djokovic would be a major roadblock.  Sure, crazy things happen and he could win, but it is not something that keeps me awake at night.

Rafa, on the other hand...

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Yep you are crazy.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Tenez wrote:Yep you are crazy.
I knew someone would do that Sad

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:22 pm

Once again, Nadal is suddenly being made into a grass hero when he's lost the last 4 years to rank 100s.  It's frightening watching you guys discuss him like it's still 2008/.  The only good news for Nadal is his draw is pathetically easy again.  But he could still crash out early like the other times.

Federer has beaten Nadal the last 3 times (or is it 4?) - including at slow hard court Aussie Open.  Why would he be favourite to beat Federer on grass?  What planet are some of you on?  Nadal isn't even remotely favourite to make the final.

Federer's problem isn't Nadal.  It's his crushing draw that sees him play Dolgopolov first round (a player that can beat him), Raonic, Isner, Djokovic, Dimitrov, both zverevs.  All of those players are capable of beating Fed on grass and some have done in the past.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:40 pm

summerblues wrote:
Tenez wrote:Yep you are crazy.
I knew someone would do that Sad
i follow your analysis.

For Djoko to beat Fed a few trends must significantly change: Fed has an off day (not likely in a semi), Fed is injured (could be, but not relevant at this point) or exhausted (not likely, given how well-rested he starts the whole thing) OR Djoko comes up with some of the best tennis he played in a long time (could be, but even if he does: it's probably still on Fed's racquet).

Realistically: if (that's a big if) Federer brings his form and fitness of AO 17 to the grass, who's going to stop him?

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:49 pm

Daniel wrote:Once again, Nadal is suddenly being made into a grass hero when he's lost the last 4 years to rank 100s.  It's frightening watching you guys discuss him like it's still 2008/.  The only good news for Nadal is his draw is pathetically easy again.  But he could still crash out early like the other times.

Federer has beaten Nadal the last 3 times (or is it 4?) - including at slow hard court Aussie Open.  Why would he be favourite to beat Federer on grass?  What planet are some of you on?  Nadal isn't even remotely favourite to make the final.

Federer's problem isn't Nadal.  It's his crushing draw that sees him play Dolgopolov first round (a player that can beat him), Raonic, Isner, Djokovic, Dimitrov, both zverevs.  All of those players are capable of beating Fed on grass and some have done in the past.
Dolgo? Dimi? Isner? Zverev's? Come now, you're talking about huge upsets.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:42 am

gallery play wrote:....or exhausted (not likely, given how well-rested he starts the whole thing)....
It doesn't quite matter how long one rests....It's the 5 5setters in 10 days that are killing when one is 36 soon.
This is the very reason Fed lost in the 2 finals there v Djoko...now he is 3 years older. Sure with a better BH but....

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:52 am

Tenez wrote:
gallery play wrote:....or exhausted (not likely, given how well-rested he starts the whole thing)....
It doesn't quite matter how long one rests....It's the 5 5setters in 10 days that are killing when one is 36 soon.
This is the very reason Fed lost in the 2 finals there v Djoko...now he is 3 years older. Sure with a better BH but....

You do realize he played 3 5 set matches at the AO?  The break he had prior AO helped him a lot.  It's why cyclists who compete in the Giro Italia don't win the Tour de France, or cyclists who want to win the Tour don't compete in the Giro. Even though there's 5 weeks inbetween.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:56 am

gallery play wrote:
Tenez wrote:

You do realize he played 3 5 set matches at the AO?  The break he had prior AO helped him a lot.  It's why cyclists who compete in the Giro Italia don't win the Tour de France, or cyclists who want to win the Tour don't compete in the Giro. Even though there's 5 weeks inbetween.
And he didn't play a single 5 setter in either 2014 or 2015 - dropped one set on his way to the final in both years. Hard to blame fitness for his losses to Novak.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:06 am

gallery play wrote:
Tenez wrote:

Maybe you right. I just know that at his age every match hurts....they were hurting when he was 30.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:12 am

Slippy wrote:
gallery play wrote:
Tenez wrote:

And he didn't play a single 5 setter in either 2014 or 2015 - dropped one set on his way to the final in both years. Hard to blame fitness for his losses to Novak.
I still do. His level in that 2nd Wimby final was really down compared top the semi. versus Djoko you need 2 or 3 long rallies and all your edge goes away. And when those long rallies come at the end of a tournament.....much tougher.

It was Fed who said that playing him earlier in the tournament woudl probably be better than playing him for the last match. So already then he was aware of that. They all say that winning a slam is down to energy management. Somthing the youngsters don't know how to nowadays.

In the AO Fed was lucky to have Misha Zverer in the 1/4 (short sets of little rallies) and 2 day rest before the final! That's huge!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:26 pm

It wasn't fitness that cost Fed against Djok.  It's the fact he isn't as good as he was in 2006 coupled with nerves.  He was a bag of nerves esp on serve.  The service game cost him big.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Daniel wrote:It wasn't fitness that cost Fed against Djok.  It's the fact he isn't as good as he was in 2006 coupled with nerves.  He was a bag of nerves esp on serve.  The service game cost him big.
"Djok" was a beast in 2015 Wimbledon final. Saw it live.

He destroyed Fed physically in two sets, "battered"  his BH to death. Fed couldn't breathe.

He had no chance.

Now is different story with the neo bh.

I'd love to see them play the SF.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:44 am

seems like it will rain almost all second week... which means lots of indoor tenis in late rounds...

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:48 am

naxroy wrote:seems like it will rain almost all second week... which means lots of indoor tenis in late rounds...
Hello an welcome naxroy.

I suppose it's not bad news for good players, but it's going to be difficult to keep the schedule + pressure on organisers to have more matches on CC and it looking/playing horrible in the final rounds.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:51 am

Hello, yes, I am new. lurker in the last year.

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:52 am

naxroy wrote:Hello, yes, I am new. lurker in the last year.

So, who's going to win it?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:05 pm

wimbledon?

my wish: Nadal (I know he´s not the most popular around here)

my thought: its pretty open between murray, federer and djokovic, but nadal could well fit in second wagon of contenders.

if he manages to get through young, khachanov and muller, then he could be considered a candidate.

If grass is as slow as many claim here, then he has a good chance

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi Naxroy.....welcome here. You know us iy seems so an intro would be welcome.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:23 pm

naxroy wrote:wimbledon?

[b[my wish: Nadal (I know he´s not the most popular around here) [/b]
my thought: its pretty open between murray, federer and djokovic, but nadal could well fit in second wagon of contenders.
if he manages to get through young, khachanov and muller, then he could be considered a candidate.
If grass is as slow as many claim here, then he has a good chance
well done for braving it into the horn's nest! Cheers

We do have at least one die-hard Nadal fan here.

Do you like any other players?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi naxroy. Grass may not be what it used to be but some of the claims of its slowness are part of strategic jinxing.

Rafa vs Khachanov (if they both get there) should tell us where Rafa stands. Khachanov is the type of player who would have given Rafa trouble here the last few years. If Rafa beats him easily, then he will be dangerous in the second week.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Welcome Naxroy,

It's good to have fans of other players too so don't feel you have to temper your opinions. We like arguments and controversy here  Big Grin

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Yeah, vigorous debate is welcomed. Just ask Danel or Veejay who spend half their time arguing with the forum runner.

It's good to know more about new members. On that theme, what was it that first attracted you to butt-picking moonballers?

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:45 pm

bogbrush wrote:Yeah, vigorous debate is welcomed. Just ask Danel or Veejay who spend half their time arguing with the forum runner.

It's good to know more about new members. On that theme, what was it that first attracted you to butt-picking moonballers?
Laugh
I guess being Spanish helps!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:14 pm

bogbrush wrote:Yeah, vigorous debate is welcomed. Just ask Danel or Veejay who spend half their time arguing with the forum runner.

How dare you, did you just accuse Rafito of being a butt-picker?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:18 pm

DECIMA wrote:

Amei, do you acrually ever watch any tennis or do you spend all your time "defending" Nadal?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:23 pm

... wrote:
DECIMA wrote:

Amei, do you acrually ever watch any tennis or do you spend all your time "defending" Nadal?
Someone has to do the satanic rituals on his behalf.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:25 pm

DECIMA wrote:
... wrote:
DECIMA wrote:

Someone has to do the satanic rituals on his behalf.
Don't flatter yourself...Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:13 pm

I first started liking butt picking moonballers in 2004 davis cup final

theres a lot to enjoy about tennis, and rooting for nadal doesnt make me dislike his rivals.

I do enjoy reading anti-rafitos, its funny how excuses and theories blossom to explain his succes over the years

in the end the claycourt moonballer has reached 12 slam finals and 16 masters finals off clay.

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2