Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Moral Dilemma EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Moral Dilemma EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Moral Dilemma EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Moral Dilemma EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Moral Dilemma EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Moral Dilemma EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Moral Dilemma EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Moral Dilemma EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Moral Dilemma EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Moral Dilemma

3 posters

Go down

Moral Dilemma Empty Moral Dilemma

Post by summerblues Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:47 pm

This happened yesterday on a quite full grandstand where the seating is first-come-first-served.

A family of three was watching the match when the mother and their young son left at a changeover (presumably restroom break or to grab some food?).  The father stayed put.  At a subsequent changeover – before they returned – a couple came in, saw the two seats, and wanted to sit there.  When the father told them the seats were taken, the man in the couple said that the seats could not be reserved and they seated themselves there anyway.

What is your view on this situation?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Moral Dilemma Empty Re: Moral Dilemma

Post by noleisthebest Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:50 pm

I don't know what it's like in USO, but in Wimbledon people (with ground passes) queue for hours to get in no-show courts, stewards let people in during changeovers, based on how many go out.
So there is no dilemma there - if you leave your seat - it's free to take.

That's the whole point of ground passes as. Opposed to seated, numbered tickets - to give everyone a chance.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:04 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I don't know what it's like in USO, but in Wimbledon people (with ground passes) queue for hours to get in no-show courts, stewards let people in during changeovers, based on how many go out.
So there is no dilemma there - if you leave your seat - it's free to take.

That's the whole point of ground passes as. Opposed to seated, numbered tickets - to give everyone a chance.
It is sort of similar here - and at some smaller courts it literally works out the way you describe - 5 people leave so stewards let 5 people in and all is clear.

But Grandstand is a bit too big for that and stewards usually do not literally count the number of people in and out.

I must say I was not quite sure what I thought of that interaction yesterday (it continued for a while and was at times entertaining as both sides made it very clear they felt they were right).  My thought was that both guys were jerks to some extent.  If I were to come in and someone told me they already had a wife and kid sitting there I would have probably made more effort to find another seat.  On the other hand, if I were the one who was holding the seats and someone claimed the right to sit there, I probably would not challenge it either - sort of on the same grounds you describe.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:06 pm

noleisthebest wrote:queue for hours to get in no-show courts
...except that in the USO the queuing for no-show courts is typically not in hours. Is it really hours at W?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:10 pm

summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:queue for hours to get in no-show courts
...except that in the USO the queuing for no-show courts is typically not in hours.  Is it really hours at W?
I queued over an hour to see Kyrgios vs Monaco on court 18.
In week two it's even worse.
But usually it's not that bad.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Ok, that sounds worse than the USO. For example I have pretty much never had to queue to get on court 17 (incl matches such as Nishikori vs Mayer last year or Anderson vs Thiem last night) - which is the fourth most important court after Ashe, Armstrong and Grandstand.

The queue on Armstrong can be 1hr+ if a really high profile match is going on.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:32 pm

summerblues wrote:This happened yesterday on a quite full grandstand where the seating is first-come-first-served.

A family of three was watching the match when the mother and their young son left at a changeover (presumably restroom break or to grab some food?).  The father stayed put.  At a subsequent changeover – before they returned – a couple came in, saw the two seats, and wanted to sit there.  When the father told them the seats were taken, the man in the couple said that the seats could not be reserved and they seated themselves there anyway.

What is your view on this situation?
Difficult. I think you go you lose your seats. When I watched the "longest match in history" (Isner/Mahut) I was craving for a drink. It was the 2nd day and start of the 5th, players were at 17/18 and we inside did not realise as much of the buzz going on outside though we coudl see the commentators queuing in to see it as well (McEnroe, Wilander, etc..). I finally gave up and went outside....to realise there were 100s of people queuing trying to get it. No chance I would have claimed my right to the seat, even if I was sitting next to my wife. You watch as long as you can and then...too bad. We are 7 billion on earth today. I wish it was different but that's how it is.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down