Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 Empty Re: ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:42 pm

He didn't say much, but was certainly not in the fence. He is a very decent umpire.

He agreed with all I said, was nodding all the time and listened very intently and with approval.

He thought 20 sec between the points in the best of 3 was all they are thinking of atm.

Maybe it's not a bad idea, it will make players try and speed up even more, even if they don't get penalised all the time.

25 to be cut down to 20 is quite significant.

You could see he was gutted for Bernardes, whereas Nouni was kind of unhappy but not too bothered.

It's not easy for them.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 Empty Re: ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:27 pm

I'll have my chili con carne first and back to read all this. Thanks for the reporting N.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:51 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
In between sets I suggested they teach Rubi to volley and move inside the court more to which she gave me a confused look.
Laugh I bet she did!

But however talented he is,  it has to be said - he does not know what to do at the net and plays very cautious shots.
Yes that's true. But that's to do with confidence.

She tried to encourage him, but he didn't like it and signalled for her to be quiet, which she did.
But of course she being his mum couldn't so kept going and eventually left the court at 3:3 in the 3rd when his coach appeared on the opposite side of the court.

I thought that was quite interesting how they felt he needed this support, though he never looked at anyone much.
Must be a lonely place out there.....and that's how it should be actually.

His BH is pretty good, too.
Yes, it's not bad at all.

He has lovely big clever eyes and seems to be a good learner.
Today he lost on inexperience - had a set and a break and Dodig in the ropes...
What a shame. It's all about his footwork in my view, Once he sorts that out.....he is going to be deadly.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:53 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
This surely is tennis heaven!!!! love
It's great isn't it? When I mentioned to my club I went there, they were suprised it was my first time there and said it is well known to be "better than Wimbledon itself". Not sure about that but the free entry, proximity to the course and easy parking plus nice facilities without the crowd certainly gives it a close call.

I agree with you.

It cannot be compared to Wimbledon, but I absolutely loved it, especially that there weren't thousands of people thronging every court, it was lovely and relaxed with plenty of yesteryear's charm, all normal people, no attention seekers, no posers, no security guards and uniformed health and safety soul killers.

Definitely a must for me from now on, another tennis date in my budding tennis diary smiley
But also how easy it is to talk to the professionals there. They seem all keen to talk and share information with you.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:57 pm

noleisthebest wrote:He didn't say much, but was certainly not in the fence. He is a very decent umpire.

He agreed with all I said, was nodding all the time and listened very intently and with approval.

He thought 20 sec between the points in the best of 3 was all they are thinking of atm.

Maybe it's not a bad idea, it will make players try and speed up even more, even if they don't get penalised all the time.

25 to be cut down to 20 is quite significant.

You could see he was gutted for Bernardes, whereas Nouni was kind of unhappy but not too bothered.

It's not easy for them.

Very interesting!

I wish I had been there.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:31 am

Tenez wrote:
But however talented he is,  it has to be said - he does not know what to do at the net and plays very cautious shots.
Yes that's true. But that's to do with confidence.

Yes, that was quite obvious, he didn't mind volleying but just wasn't  good at it, clear lack of practice and technique, all easily fixed.

Tenez wrote:
He has lovely big clever eyes and seems to be a good learner.
Today he lost on inexperience - had a set and a break and Dodig in the ropes...
What a shame. It's all about his footwork in my view, Once he sorts that out.....he is going to be deadly.
Yes, I made the comment on his footwork in that clip you posted of him hitting with Rafa.
Yesterday, I was watching exclusively him, his footwork is so rudimentary, but I think part of it is in his junior circles he must've made others run with those big FHs and didn't need to move much.

Now that he's started playing with older and more experienced players he'll learn very fast as all the gaps will become glaring.

Yesterday, he should've won in straight sets with ease.

The potential is there and it's very exciting, though.

Although I was quite sad he lost yesterday, maybe it's better he didn't make it to the main draw this year.

He is quite hard on himself and we don't want his heart/belief to be broken & and that wonderful fire quenchedat this stage, like it seems to have happened with Pouille after that loss to Monfis.

Rubi has just got something and I am so glad I met him yesterday.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:37 am

It's cool isn't it to talk about someone and then see him a few weeks later in flesh.

I'll miss that the day I retire in France.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:14 am

Tenez wrote:It's cool isn't it to talk about someone and then see him a few weeks later in flesh.

Yes, especially when you like what you see. I caught him in an almost childlike playful mode on the grass away from courts.
You can never get such insight into a player from watching them on TV or just matches.
Tenez wrote:

For me it will be the other way round...
I'll just swap my two week holiday in France for England! Big Grin

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:23 am

Here's today's order of play for Boodles:

12.30pm
Fabio Fognini (ITA) v Robin Haase (NED)

2.30pm
Novak Djokovic (SRB) v Richard Gasquet (FRA)

followed by
John Isner (USA) v Thanasi Kokkinakis (AUS)

not before 5pm
Tommy Robredo (ESP) v Fernando Verdasco (ESP)

Should be good fun!
I wanted to see Nole -Gasquet match as soon as I saw both were playing there.
I am heartbroken I'll miss Rafa's caramel eyes, though Winking

And what a contrast it will be to yesterday.....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:27 am

In Nottingham:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2015/741/op.pdf

Dolgopolov-Lu
Simon-Querrey
Baghdatis-Bolleli

I am beginning to enjoy this year's grass season, because it's finally beginning to feel like one!

We tennis fans must fight for another week of it though!!!!!!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:53 am

And one final comment on Rublev...

About how he lost yesterday.

He was serving at 4:5. Dodig had been quite exhausted from all the bashing and looked more tired of the two.

Rubi was serving in the sun and missed a few first serves, going 00:40 down.

He then came back to 30:40, got the first serve in, exchanged Dodig's return and then unleashed a FHDTL.

In that split second it really looked the ball hit the line and I felt a rush of euphoria!
But it was called out and while I was still recovering from that micro time shock, Rubi walked to the net and shook hands with a relieved Dodig (who was a good sport all the match).

It was such a poignant moment to experience one shot as life and death in one second, but also a healthy and good way to lose a match.

He will be such a pleasure to support over the years.
I just hope he remains healthy.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 am

Yes I must say that though he was moaning all the time when I saw him. he behaved nicely to his opponent...however he took a long break at teh end of the second set.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:20 am

He did the same yesterday agter losing the second set.
Dodi also took an even longer break after losing the first, though.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:16 pm

I have just had a hit with pouille's coach on practice courts!!!ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 3755116760

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:19 pm

Forget about Carpe diem....Carpe momentum is my motto Bubbly

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:29 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I have just had a hit with pouille's coach on practice courts!!!ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 3755116760
The bearded guy? lucky you.....eh..I mean lucky him!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:29 pm

Awesome! Get pics!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:17 pm

I did videos, too Big Grin

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:22 pm

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I have just had a hit with pouille's coach on practice courts!!!ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 3755116760
Winking

Yes, though he doesn't have a beard, just lots of wild hair.
He was very nice, gave me all the practice balls, official Wimby 2015 ones..though I was only able to fit 10 in my bag Blush

The physio was such a charmer, old French school offered me a bottle of water...

Very nice, relaxed bunch.

I also saw Richie and he promised me a hit after his match as he had left the courts, I really want to get some tips for my SBH from him.

Will keep you posted, having a time of my life here smiley

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:40 pm

That was a nice match.
Richie's BH is just brilliant.
I'm pretty sure he could serve with it if he felt like it!

Nole's improved his sliced BH a lot, but still can't chip it.
He is timing the ball beautifully, shame he is playing counterpunching tennis.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:45 pm

who won?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Nole, in the champion's TB, but Richie was 7:3 up in it, I'm pretty sure he had to lose.
He can volley so well!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:40 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Nole, in the champion's TB, but Richie was 7:3 up in it, I'm pretty sure he had to lose.
He can volley so well!
Why? That's very much what I expect Richie to do. Lose from that position....whether an exho or a real match.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:57 pm

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Nole, in the champion's TB, but Richie was 7:3 up in it, I'm pretty sure he had to lose.
He can volley so well!
Why? That's very much what I expect Richie to do. Lose from that position....whether an exho or a real match.

You are cruel!

I seriously think he'd be a different player if he fixed that wretched FH, it's actually got worse from last time I saw him.

Look what wonders Norman did with Stan in uis BH....and Richie has a better BH and serve than Stan I think.

Why he hits it with so much loop and spin is a mistery to me.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:20 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:
Winking

Yes, though he doesn't have a beard, just lots of wild hair.
He was very nice, gave me all the practice balls, official Wimby 2015 ones..though I was only able to fit 10 in my bag  Blush
The physio was such a charmer, old French school offered me a bottle of water...
Very nice, relaxed bunch.
I also saw Richie and he promised me a hit after his match as he had left the courts, I really want to get some tips for my SBH from him.
Will keep you posted, having a time of my life here smiley

You know what!
I've just a had a look at videos a pictures I took and the guy not only has beard but moustache, too...I can't believe I didn't notice...I actually talked to him for about 10 minutes!!!!! Doh
He is quite tanned and dark in the face, maybe that's why Blush

Anyway...he was very laid back and friendly, quite a soft and gentle character, didn't reveal much, though...
Just said it's impossible to teach SBH these days because of returning...and he's got a point...

There were 4 matches today and I only saw two.

I missed Fognini-Haase as I was having fun with Pouille's team.
I also saw bits of his practice which I liked as he was mainly hitting inside the court FHs and BHs.

Then I watched Nole-Richie.

I must say not the greatest match, but it got better as it went on mainly as Gasquet relaxed.
He is such a gloomy, serious type.

Nole, as usual kept monkeying around, taking t-shirt off for screaming women, and then wanted Richie to do the same but poor thing did not have a spare T-shirt Laugh

That didn't stop Nole who gave him his own third spare one!!!!

But as I've seen it all before it was pretty boring for me (it was boring first time, as well...)

As for tennis, Nole is striking the ball very, very well. His timing is excellent and depth perfect...but he is nothing  more than a very good ball machine game wise.

He did hit some very good shots which he enjoyed, but they were an exception. He is capable of doing a lot of damage with his FH now if he chooses to, BH, as well, yet - he doesn't.
His thing is to send long balls of different speed until he gets a short one he can put away with ease. Efficient but dull.

Gasquet on the other hand, takes great pleasure in his BH. He even loves passing the ball to ballkids with it in the most elegant way.

I am pretty sure his BH is the love of his life.

Then it was Isner -Kokkinakis which I skipped for lunch and tried to take up Richie on his word for the little post-match hit, but he was of course gone...

I have noticed a negative change in Nole this year in Boodles. He looks emotionally hardened, and that is really sad.

Becker was there, too looking drunk and grumpy. I spoke  to Nole's masseur and fitness coach, and the masseur (the Serbian guy) didn't seem to like Becker at all.
He said he behaved like a celebrity and a diva. He would not comment on Vajda, but suggested he was not a lot different.

Money must have gone into their heads is all I can conclude...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:39 pm

The last match Verdasco-Robredo was excellent.

That was the first time I saw either live.

Verdasco's FH is really special, by far the best I've seen today.
His serve is good, too, BH decent.

I watched him carefully, the thing that let him down is the drop of focus.
He simply cannot  maintain it to save his life.
If he could, heaven would be his limit!

Robredo, a classy all-court player with lovely shots, but no stand-out weapons.

He hit one fantastic flat BH.

Also, both seemed nice and not egomaniacs, which was quite refreshing.

All in all, another lovely day.
The weather was sublime, too and I had my first ever hit on grass diva

I must say I enjoyed the low bounce and the soft ground under my bare feet.

Grass almost teases feet to dance on it, or maybe I was just so happy to finally get a chance to hit a ball on it. Big Grin

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:21 am

noleisthebest wrote:.....
He did hit some very good shots which he enjoyed, but they were an exception. He is capable of doing a lot of damage with his FH now if he chooses to, BH, as well, yet - he doesn't.
But it's doing it when it matters. That's where most players don't venture there....unless they have nothing else to lose.

Becker was there, too looking drunk and grumpy. I spoke  to Nole's masseur and fitness coach, and the masseur (the Serbian guy) didn't seem to like Becker at all.
He said he behaved like a celebrity and a diva. He would not comment on Vajda, but suggested he was not a lot different.
Interesting but not surprising.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:27 am

noleisthebest wrote:

I watched him carefully, the thing that let him down is the drop of focus.
He simply cannot  maintain it to save his life.
If he could, heaven would be his limit!
Yes but he goes for broke too much which means his mind is always going to be fluctuating with the success of his shots. Talent is about playing great within yourself. Not forcing it which is what Verdy and many do. Federer Nalby play great shots within themselves.

Robredo, a classy all-court player with lovely shots, but no stand-out weapons.
Yes I saw him live 4 years ago and he is a nice player. Just takes the ball too late most of the time.
He hit one fantastic flat BH.

I must say I enjoyed the low bounce and the soft ground under my bare feet.

Grass almost teases feet to dance on it, or maybe I was just so happy to finally get a chance to hit a ball on it. Big Grin

It's a great surface...just a shame it is wearing out too quickly..and too dependant on the weather.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:36 am

Yes, Robredo takes the ball late...so many do, unfortunately...no sense of adventure!

Interesting comment about playing great shots within oneself.
I suppose you've got to be talented for that, properly talented.
Verdasco doesn't have brilliant hands...he enjoys his power... almost in love with it in fact.

But I prefer that to anybody taking the ball late, it just feels right to play like that even if you lose. And today he won!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:03 am

noleisthebest wrote:Yes, Robredo takes the ball late...so many do, unfortunately...no sense of adventure!

Interesting comment about playing great shots within oneself.
I suppose you've got to be talented for that, properly talented.
Verdasco doesn't have brilliant hands...he enjoys his power... almost in love with it in fact.

But I prefer that to anybody taking the ball late, it just feels right to play like that even if you lose. And today he won!

They are professional tennis players. Thats what you realise when you see them live. Their shots are about technique and consistency. Not fun and flair....apart from federer really. He is the only one who plays loose.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:15 am

Tenez wrote: They are professional tennis players. Thats what you realise when you see them live. Their shots are about technique and consistency. Not fun and flair....apart from federer really. He is the only one who plays loose.

So true!
And that's fascinating because you can clearly see all their limitations and strengths and how they go about them.
When watching a match or only just a player live, you are right there in their dimension of real time humanity.
On TV,  it looks removed and the moment of vulnerability is twisted through close-ups and the way camera shows them.
Plus the sounds of shots and movement.

And yes...the big, key word - consistency!

Basically, you can measure talent by consistency of high-risk shots.
Herbert, Rublev, Verdasco, they go for their shots. About 70-80% of them. Herbert even plays with flair.

But those shots are heavily tested by those who can only keep the ball in play.
No,e for example only hits about 5% of them...when in the lead.
Which puts Federer on an untouchable pedeststal.

I'm thinking of going to Halle next year!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:02 am

...though having said all the above about Fed, he, too has unfortunately changed his game, mainly his FH.

He has started to use this loopy CC FH with loads of spin when he goes for the corner.
And strangely he misses it reasonably often.

He doesn't use it all the time, mainly to open the court, but still Sad.....
It's just not him!

I hope he flattens it in Wimbledon, that's the only way he'll win it!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:06 am

All those guys could try to pull a winner anytime. But they approach the game from a very different angle. It's about drills and finding the right balance between hurting and consistency....but first consistency. Consistency is based on mouvement.

Now someone like Verdy, Fed, Dolgo etc...can throw a punch any time, unsettling the mouvement and consistency of the opponent but that carries a risk...and when comes an important point very few can pull them consistently.

This is why I find it very hard to label retrievers as mentally strong cause their approach to the game is in fact based on trying to cash in from those crush moments by forcing the opposition to take more risk than them.

They are anything but mentally strong.....or rather they are inversely proportionally mentally strong to their fitness.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:09 am

noleisthebest wrote:...though having said all the above about Fed, he, too has unfortunately changed his game, mainly his FH.

He has started to use this loopy CC FH with loads of spin when he goes for the corner.
And strangely he misses it reasonably often.

He doesn't use it all the time, mainly to open the court, but still Sad.....
It's just not him!

I hope he flattens it in Wimbledon, that's the only way he'll win it!

He changed it because conditions changed. He is also a professional and has to win.

It's just a shame he did not change his racquet much earlier cause he woudl have found a way to use the power of those larger frames.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:13 am

Yes, I am well aware he changed it because of conditions.
But do you think it's not going to win him Wimbledon?

Remember last year?

With bigger frame, he should be more confident, not less.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:14 am

Tenez wrote:All those guys could try to pull a winner anytime. But they approach the game from a very different angle. It's about drills and finding the right balance between hurting and consistency....but first consistency. Consistency is based on mouvement.

Now someone like Verdy, Fed, Dolgo etc...can throw a punch any time, unsettling the mouvement and consistency of the opponent but that carries a risk...and when comes an important point very few can pull them consistently.

This is why I find it very hard to label retrievers as mentally strong cause their approach to the game is in fact based on trying to cash in from those crush moments by forcing the opposition to take more risk than them.

They are anything but mentally strong.....or rather they are inversely  proportionally mentally strong to their fitness.

Totally agree!

And even that fitness would not mean a lot if the conditions were faster.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:45 pm

Tenez wrote:It's cool isn't it to talk about someone and then see him a few weeks later in flesh.

It is!
And I am so sad I won't be able to follow him this Wimbledon.
Stupid Kudla & co got wildcards and he didn't - disgusting!

I have a really nice picture with him, he even put his arm around me, so sweet!
I just hope he continues to work and doesn't suffer any big disappointments too soon.

I know he looks like a fire-breathing monster on court, but he is so young and still a little boy inside. Rose

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:33 pm

Tomorrow I will probably go and see Isner...AND Pouille at West side tennis club. They are there from 1pm to promote Prince products.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:41 pm

Cool!!!
Please say a big hello to his team, esp the coach!!!
I actually used Pouille's racquet Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:22 pm

Istomin wins Nottingham. Wahooo...................  ATP 250: Nottingham, Wimbledon Qualifications, Boodles - Page 2 3919515806

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2