Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Will Nadal ever win a Tour Finals title?
Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:49 pm by Daniel2

» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:18 pm by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby

3 posters

Go down

Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby Empty Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby

Post by luvsports! Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:01 pm

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby Empty Re: Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:19 pm

Nice piece, LS!

You've managed to turn a one liner bit of news into an informative read.
Love the Boggo example.

So many tennis writers don't have a clue, let alone the passion for it.

Keep up the good work! smiley

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby Empty Re: Little piece I did on the new lta wild card reforms for wimby

Post by luvsports! Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:57 pm

Haha ta.
It involved me spamming the entire tennisphere on twitter. 
Got a tweet from Navaratilova!..... But she hadn't seen it, said send link.... and didn't respond. 

My editor took out this line grrr.

"Andy Murray’s former coach Brad Gilbert, described as the ‘greatest coach of all time’ by protégée Andre Agassi for coaching him to win six of his eight majors, neither condoned nor condemned the new system."

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:02 pm

yep well done. You made the most of what you had. You coudl have spoken of who those WCs would go instead.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:03 pm

luvsports! wrote:Haha ta.
Got a tweet from Navaratilova!..... But she hadn't seen it, said send link.... and didn't respond. 

"Andy Murray’s former coach Brad Gilbert, described as the ‘greatest coach of all time’ by protégée Andre Agassi for coaching him to win six of his eight majors, neither condoned nor condemned the new system."
Your editor was right! Winking I know you said it tongue in cheek.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:09 pm

Haha I did no such thing!

Thoughts on the reforms otf?

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:37 pm

I agree WCs shouldn't be wasted...one pair to be reserved for junior champions from the previous year, and one for the tennis nutter of the year...I nominate myself for 2015 smiley
They could even run a competition...imagine the list of Dreamers...
Entertainment guaranteed! diva

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:45 pm

luvsports! wrote:Haha ta.

Tweet Steve Tignor from tennis.com....you'll get plenty of visibility.
Give my regards Cool

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:00 pm

It would be odd to ask a journalist though!
Puttign the thoughts of a journo in an aspiring ones piece.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Naaah, he's fine, one of "us"..

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:14 pm

I have no strong views on WCs. Even if Alex B did not do well in 8 years at Wimbledon, the fact that he was in the first round as the next best UK player was good for the UK crowd.

I don't think it makes sense to set tagets...they simply have to give a fixed amount to the UK players.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:24 pm

I think it's just because they geared their whole year to it and rely soly on it.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:12 pm

That's bizarre.....as you (through Goodall parent's) say, it is very expensive to do the tour...and £25k is a good way to sponsor some of them who are struggling to finance their adventure.

I'd say in general WCs should be given to youngsters or former past players.....but I believe this is what is being done currently and the LTA should benefit the UK players.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:16 pm

I quite liked Goodall's idea with the age groups. 
I really wanted to speak to Richard Bloomfield who has a lot of beef with the LTA but he isn't on twitter.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:55 pm

The thing is there is not much difference between a player ranked 400 and a 120 one. Often down to how much money you have to afford travelling, physio, coaches etc.....

If you look at the satellite results, you 'd be surprised how many upsets there are ranking wise.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:04 pm

look at this tournament which happened just 2 weeks ago. Look at the seeds and names only, make 2 picks for 2 wild cards....and check who won at the end to see whether you picked the right players for the WC!

http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/men's-tournament/info.aspx?tournamentid=1100033784

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:38 am

Here's a nice article that gives a little insight in how much players struggle financially at the start of their career:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2015/02/payday-delray-college-star-eric-quigley-and-financial-realities-pro-grind/54087/#.VOLsCGIgGSM

And this is just one of the more successful stories...so many get injured badly along the way and never get to compete...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:36 am

Good find NITB. 
Really is polar opposites to the top of the game. Hope he makes it!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:06 am

luvsports! wrote:Good find NITB. 
Really is polar opposites to the top of the game. Hope he makes it!
You mean versus other players who struggle even more?

That's the name of the game in sport. That's why taking a pill to get a bit of help is so rampant.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:06 am

After just reading that article my thoughts were on his plight compared to the big boys, so no I didn't mean that.

But yes 100% agree on the hot sauce.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down