Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Indian Wells Thread  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Indian Wells Thread  - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Indian Wells Thread  - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Indian Wells Thread  - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Indian Wells Thread  - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Indian Wells Thread  - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Indian Wells Thread  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Indian Wells Thread  - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Indian Wells Thread  - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Indian Wells Thread

+5
summerblues
Daniel
Tenez
truffin1
N2D2L
9 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Indian Wells Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: Indian Wells Thread

Post by noleisthebest Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:06 pm

In fact former USSR, would now have Gulbis, Dolgopolov, Strakh...

I am very keen to see this young Austrian Diminic Thiem, SBH, very aggresive player, mot aure whether he is playing today or tomorrow.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:07 pm

FedererKing wrote:It's natural to want to see a cheat lose.  It's not natural to support one.
See I knew it, you just repeat the same lines and false clichés again and again; sometimes even twice on the same day.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:15 pm

Jiri Vesely...Is he another, maybe better version of JJ?

Did not see him play but looks like another talented giant running Murray close despite his young 20yo.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:20 pm

Monfils losing a match he served to win . 10DFs!!!!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:21 pm

Vesely is definitely not another JJ...

Last edited by Julia Santamaria on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:21 pm

Fognini is such a boss.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:21 pm

What's the difference?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:22 pm

Tenez, did you see what Bogbrush had to say about Federer on v2?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:23 pm

Tenez wrote:What's the difference?
Vesely likes rallying on the baseline, and doesn't randomly do drop shots every 10 seconds like JJ does.
Also JJ can generate serious power from nowhere, and Vesely can't do that.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:24 pm

Given their similarity in height, it's pretty surprising how different their games are.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:25 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Tenez, did you see what Bogbrush had to say about Federer on v2?

No. What does he say?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:27 pm

Tenez wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:Tenez, did you see what Bogbrush had to say about Federer on v2?

No. What does he say?

'It still amazes me how bad Federer is these days.'

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:27 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
Vesely likes rallying on the baseline, and doesn't randomly do drop shots every 10 seconds like JJ does.

I guess those extra 2 inch forces JJ to shorten rallies a bit more.

I have never seen JV play....but being 77 at 20....is really impressive nowadays. Though again cause built like tank.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:29 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
Tenez wrote:

No. What does he say?

Really? I did not see that first set but he was playing ok in that 2nd set.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:29 pm

Tenez wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:

I guess those extra 2 inch forces JJ to shorten rallies a bit more.

I have never seen JV play....but being 77 at 20....is really impressive nowadays. Though again cause built like tank.
Well I don't know about making JJ shorten rallies; more like they simply have different styles. Vesely likes trading, while Janowicz tries to dominate and keep things in his hand more.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:30 pm

Tenez wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:
Tenez wrote:

No. What does he say?

Really? I did not see that first set but he was playing ok in that 2nd set.
The quote was from his first match at Indian Wells, not this one. But I think he is talking about in general, hence 'these days', rather than one specific match.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:33 pm

Well. he can say that as federer often experiences a set when he is completely off timing and his serving is terrible....but then the next set or next match he can play superbly. Hope BB can see that too.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:50 pm

Tenez wrote:Well. he can say that as federer often experiences a set when he is completely off timing and his serving is terrible....but then the next set or next match he can play superbly. Hope BB can see that too.
Well he said 'these days', I don't know how to interpret that.

But yes I agree with you on the above line myself, it's clear he is more inconsistent and patchy due to age.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
Tenez wrote:Well. he can say that as federer often experiences a set when he is completely off timing and his serving is terrible....but then the next set or next match he can play superbly. Hope BB can see that too.

But yes I agree with you on the above line myself, it's clear he is more inconsistent and patchy due to age.

I am sure you will end up convincing yourself !

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:59 pm

Tenez wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:

I am sure you will end up convincing yourself !
Ok, I agree with myself that he's more inconsistent and patchy due to age.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:01 am

Again this is an issue where you know I am right, but you're just being stubborn.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:05 am

Seppi's playing awful!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 am

Aging cannot roll back the years. So the aging effect means you cannot do things you could do yesterday. That is aging by definition. Injury means you cannot do things you could do yesterday but might be able to do again.

Fed alternates from great tennis to crap and then great again. That is injury not age.

You are the one stubborn and wrong....as usual!

And remember you went on saying he is aging as his reflex and timing have gone down. That was your argument. Guess what we saw him play the most beautiful aggressive tennis with reflex volleys on the fastest court on the tour just last week...again 2 players on form. In fact he had most trouble with a 36yo man....and just2 days ago I posted a clip where he can execute 2 shots, 2 brilliant volleys in 0.8s!!!! slower reflexes?  Cool

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:15 am

I still believe his timing and reflexes are not as sharp as they were in his prime, and I stand by that.

Tenez wrote:Aging cannot roll back the years. So the aging effect means you cannot do things you could do yesterday.
Yes, and part of that is that Federer cannot play continuously and consistently at a high level as he did during his prime. That is both during matches (where his form can change between sets and periods) and more importantly during tournaments (form changes more dramatically from match to match).

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:17 am

Tenez wrote:You are the one stubborn and wrong....as usual!
Nope, once again it's the other way round.
I am not saying his back injury isn't a problem for him, and clearly it was last year, but this year from what he's said in his interviews is that his back is better. His new racket is to some extent negating the negative impact of his decline due to age, that much is also clear.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:23 am

Sharapova is another cheat....denying she called for HE....when she did.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bluenose Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:31 am

I'm just watching Stan play and this is what occurs to me.  He is a classic basso.  Roger is the perfect baritone, modestly late to find his voice but then sweet and true, equally capable of thrilling high and low notes.  Stan is the heavy voice, late to harden and hellish to learn to control but rare and wonderful.  If Stan truly has found control then he can do wonders.  I don't think there's another basso in the bunch - power plus gravitas.

Everyone has been crying for tenors and nobody has missed the bassi!  Having even one may change the tennis dynamic enormously.  I suppose we thought Del Potro would fill that role but he turned out to be a bass baritone at best.

Allez Stan!

bluenose

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:33 am

Julia Santamaria wrote:
Tenez wrote:

No. What does he say?

There are an awful lot of top players in their prime that would love to be as bad as Federer is at 32 "these days"

That being said- it's clear Federer is still hampered by something- assuming the back. You believe it to be age. I think a little of both. He can and does play at a high level, but the margin or difference from the other player is just not as great. Anyone who has watched Federer through the years can see he is stiffer, does not play as freely. Serve leaves him suddenly which is most indicative of the back.  Despite him saying he feels great again- you can see the tension in his demeanor on court.. IT's just not the Federer we have known.   He keeps seemingly running into players playing at a high level and able to keep it closer than ever- like today. What the typical lazy commentators don't mention is the reason these guys keep showing up and playing at such a high level and keeping it close is because Federer simply can't pull away and lets them play at a high level. Whereas before he was hyperagressive, taking the ball absurdly early and creating suffocating pressure on his opponent which resulted in the opponent playing at a lesser leverl-  the opponent now has less (even slightly) pressure and can raise their game and keep close. Federer's GOAT talent and his own avg level is still good enough to win most days as long as he isn't severely hampered by injury like last year.

This week- the courts aren't helping anything. Federer isn't even bothering to approach the net unless a gimme floater.  Normaly, I think he owns Stan, but doubt Fed gets past him, and certainly can't get past Nadal on this mud speed court.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:43 am

bluenose wrote:I'm just watching Stan play and this is what occurs to me.  He is a classic basso.  Roger is the perfect baritone, modestly late to find his voice but then sweet and true, equally capable of thrilling high and low notes.  Stan is the heavy voice, late to harden and hellish to learn to control but rare and wonderful.  If Stan truly has found control then he can do wonders.  I don't think there's another basso in the bunch - power plus gravitas.

Everyone has been crying for tenors and nobody has missed the bassi!  Having even one may change the tennis dynamic enormously.  I suppose we thought Del Potro would fill that role but he turned out to be a bass baritone at best.

Allez Stan!

I know who is the castrato!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:47 am

truffin wrote:There are an awful lot of top players in their prime that would love to be as bad as Federer is at 32 "these days"
That was a quote from BB, not me.
I think it was meant to be a comparison to what he was during his prime, rather than a degradation of all players ranked below him.

truffin wrote:That being said- it's clear Federer is still hampered by something- assuming the back. You believe it to be age. I think a little of both.
To make it clear, I am not saying the back is not an issue, I think both are issues.
This year though I think Federer is more positive about his back it seems, which is a good sign.

truffin wrote:Whereas before he was hyperagressive, taking the ball absurdly early and creating suffocating pressure on his opponent which resulted in the opponent playing at a lesser leverl- the opponent now has less (even slightly) pressure and can raise their game and keep close.
Do you think this is due to back or ageing, or something else altogether?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:48 am

Tenez wrote:
I know who is the castrato!
Who ?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:48 am

truffin1 wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:
Tenez wrote:

No. What does he say?

There are an awful lot of top players in their prime that would love to be as bad as Federer is at 32 "these days"

That being said- it's clear Federer is still hampered by something- assuming the back. You believe it to be age. I think a little of both. He can and does play at a high level, but the margin or difference from the other player is just not as great. Anyone who has watched Federer through the years can see he is stiffer, does not play as freely. Serve leaves him suddenly which is most indicative of the back.  Despite him saying he feels great again- you can see the tension in his demeanor on court.. IT's just not the Federer we have known.   He keeps seemingly running into players playing at a high level and able to keep it closer than ever- like today. What the typical lazy commentators don't mention is the reason these guys keep showing up and playing at such a high level and keeping it close is because Federer simply can't pull away and lets them play at a high level. Whereas before he was hyperagressive, taking the ball absurdly early and creating suffocating pressure on his opponent which resulted in the opponent playing at a lesser leverl-  the opponent now has less (even slightly) pressure and can raise their game and keep close. Federer's GOAT talent and his own avg level is still good enough to win most days as long as he isn't severely hampered by injury like last year.

This week- the courts aren't helping anything. Federer isn't even bothering to approach the net unless a gimme floater.  Normaly, I think he owns Stan, but doubt Fed gets past him, and certainly can't get past Nadal on this mud speed court.

Margins are always bound to be thinner for a few reasons:

1 - The rest of the field also catches up. See Nadal and Djoko.
2 - He is unlikely to give his all on every match. Does not play with the same intensity.
3 - You woudl be surprised to see the number of sets he lost in 2006 and 2007 v complete unknown. Not as lates as 2010/2011 and 2012 he was crushing all the top players at WTF...bar that 2012 final where he was certainly tired.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:50 am

I just woke up, has castrato started his match yet?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:51 am

noleisthebest wrote:The one I really look forward to is tomorrow, Dimitrov - Gulbis, both playing well, Earnie surely relishing a chance for a rematch after the last week's loss in Acapulco.
I think they also played a week (or two?) before then, with Gulbis winning.  So this is their third match this year, having split the first two.  I hope Dimi can take it, the draw - not the most difficult one to start with - has opened up even more in the bottom half, so I would like to see him take advantage of that.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:52 am

noleisthebest wrote:I just woke up, has castrato started his match yet?
Not sure if I prefer castrato or Nadull.  erm 

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:52 am

No they are looking for balls!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 am

Tenez wrote:

Look this is really mean to Dolgopolov.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 am

Are you guys not supposed to be asleep all?  Everyone seems to be here still.  So unusual.  Usually the place is mostly empty by the time I get in.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 am

Tenez wrote:

Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:54 am

summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:The one I really look forward to is tomorrow, Dimitrov - Gulbis, both playing well, Earnie surely relishing a chance for a rematch after the last week's loss in Acapulco.
I think they also played a week (or two?) before then, with Gulbis winning.  So this is their third match this year, having split the first two.  I hope Dimi can take it, the draw - not the most difficult one to start with - has opened up even more in the bottom half, so I would like to see him take advantage of that.

I didn't know they played the 3rd match, so they are even now...Even more interesting!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:54 am

summerblues wrote:Are you guys not supposed to be asleep all?  Everyone seems to be here still.  So unusual.  Usually the place is mostly empty by the time I get in.
Please... Rafito is playing.
X factor player, everyone wants to see him.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:56 am

Julia Santamaria wrote:
summerblues wrote:Are you guys not supposed to be asleep all?  Everyone seems to be here still.  So unusual.  Usually the place is mostly empty by the time I get in.

.....lose!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:57 am

Has anyone seen the clip of Nadal accidentally dropping orange juice (or Fanta or something) on his shorts, and then he gets really embarrassed because it looks like he wet himself?  Run 

Last edited by Julia Santamaria on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:57 am

Or maybe he really pissed himself and tried to cover it up by dropping orange juice on purpose?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:58 am

noleisthebest wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:

.....lose!
If you want to see him lose why on earth are people staying up to watch him slay Dolgo?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:59 am

This is shaping up to be very exciting. Sad

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:02 am

Julia Santamaria wrote:
Yeah, you do end up being around some crazy times here and there.  How do you do that?  I imagine you are still in high school (?).  Do you not need to go to school tomorrow?  Or maybe at your age it is all easy to handle?  I know that I find it pretty rough going during the AO (late night matches here) trying to catch some tennis while also having to earn living.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:02 am

Oh ffs, his back must be hurting, he is double faulting again.
Against Stepanek he hit tonnes of DFs.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:02 am

I wish I could stay up.....Enjoy...and good night from me.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:03 am

Did anyone see Stan?  Was he that good or was Seppi that bad?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next