Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Will Nadal ever win a Tour Finals title?
Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:49 pm by Daniel2

» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:18 pm by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost.

+5
noleisthebest
luvsports!
Tenez
N2D2L
SayonaRa
9 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 Empty Re: Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost.

Post by Daniel Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:15 pm

I have to agree with Julia, oddly...  I don't think Djokovic was making any statement about doping.  It was clearly intended to refer to the way Troicki had been treated and his punishment.  I also don't think Nadal is a serial doper.  He MAY have done it, but he is not stupid enough to just willy nilly carry on doing it at all times.  And he may not have done it at all.

In my view, the likelihood is, Nadal does not dope... he is just an ignoramus who makes excuses for losses, lies about the extent of injuries, uses small niggles for tactical time outs and damaged ego, and is a complete hypochondriac.  In fact, I'd say the latter is certainly very likely, given all of his other mental problems like severe OCD.  He's a shitty person who uses shitty tactics, and that's certainly lead to a deluge of doping accusations.  It's his fault for making a big deal out of every injury and taking time off here there and everywhere, but I don't think he dopes.  Peace Dove

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 Empty Re: Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost.

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:14 pm

FedererKing wrote:I have to agree with Julia, oddly...  I don't think Djokovic was making any statement about doping.  It was clearly intended to refer to the way Troicki had been treated and his punishment.  I also don't think Nadal is a serial doper.  He MAY have done it, but he is not stupid enough to just willy nilly carry on doing it at all times.  And he may not have done it at all.

So why do you dislike him so much? I'd have lots of respect for him if I knew he was clean and winning the way he does without having been particularly talented. I would mind much less his time taking and coaching on court cause he has given a real opposition to Fed as while "being clean". Hats off then.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:25 pm

Because he cheats the rules.  Time outs, breaking the time rule completely, coaching, arrogant fist pumping, false humility, barging opponents.  He is a disgusting player. The worst I have seen in any sport aside from maybe Mike Tyson. smiley He does cheat, just maybe not from doping.  Certainly through blatant rule breaches. And let's not forget his boring and unimaginative style of play that he is succeeding with because of dumbed down tennis. I can only appreciate him for his mental strength and physicality . That's it.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:46 pm

Tenez wrote:
Truffin wrote:Problem is- nadal is like the others- can get to a certain point but has limits that block him from the top of the mountain- what is the choice? Peds
I see it differently. I don't think PED gives just the extra bit that takes close-to-be-champion to champion. PED in sport if really well done, can make an average racer to a super athlete/champion.

Ben Johnson, LA and Nadal would have been pretty average (and for 2 of them were) before taking drugs. Nadal would have been even worse off as without that extra power, we see most players able to beat him. Having that extra bite on the ball makes so much difference. It turns a ball any top 100 player could whack past him into a ball that is so difficult to handle that Nadal gets tons of UEs from.

We don't know though for Johnson. If all the best are on the hot sauce, we can never know how well they would do without peds can we?
LA was deemed as a classics rider not a grand tour rider but again we don't know how well he would have been if everyone was clean. He started taking drugs in '95, 2 years after he won the world champs aged 21. So he deffo had talent. He wasn't a sprinter, climber or TT, more an all rounder.
Course they were average before they took drugs but that is only because those ahead of them were taking them.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:51 pm

FedererKing wrote:I have to agree with Julia, oddly...  I don't think Djokovic was making any statement about doping.  It was clearly intended to refer to the way Troicki had been treated and his punishment.  I also don't think Nadal is a serial doper.  He MAY have done it, but he is not stupid enough to just willy nilly carry on doing it at all times.  And he may not have done it at all.

In my view, the likelihood is, Nadal does not dope... he is just an ignoramus who makes excuses for losses, lies about the extent of injuries, uses small niggles for tactical time outs and damaged ego, and is a complete hypochondriac.  In fact, I'd say the latter is certainly very likely, given all of his other mental problems like severe OCD.  He's a shitty person who uses shitty tactics, and that's certainly lead to a deluge of doping accusations.  It's his fault for making a big deal out of every injury and taking time off here there and everywhere, but I don't think he dopes.  Peace Dove

When the testing facilities are so woeful and the likelihood of getting caught is so minuscule (especially when nadal is a huge asset financially to tennis), if you can keep beating the system adn reap the rewards of success, how is that stupid to carry it on?

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:01 pm

luvsports! wrote:
We don't know though for Johnson. If all the best are on the hot sauce, we can never know how well they would do without peds can we?
LA was deemed as a classics rider not a grand tour rider but again we don't know how well he would have been if everyone was clean. He started taking drugs in '95, 2 years after he won the world champs aged 21. So he deffo had talent. He wasn't a sprinter, climber or TT, more an all rounder.
Course they were average before they took drugs but that is only because those ahead of them were taking them.

I know! Not the shadow of a doubt for me! The guy was the worst natural runner I could think off....pure muscles and stamina! Fredericks was much better but came second each time!

Reg LA - I have read for years that he was no particular talent when young. Now when he started to take the drugs is a real mystery for ALL of us!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:10 pm

FedererKing wrote:Because he cheats the rules.  Time outs, breaking the time rule completely, coaching, arrogant fist pumping, false humility, barging opponents.  He is a disgusting player. The worst I have seen in any sport aside from maybe Mike Tyson. smiley He does cheat, just maybe not from doping.  Certainly through blatant rule breaches. And let's not forget his boring and unimaginative style of play that he is succeeding with because of dumbed down tennis.  I can only appreciate him for his mental strength and physicality .  That's it.
So he has no problem cheating for things that would not give him a great advantage but would not dare for things that are essential to his game?

How do you explain results like Federer thrashing him 63 60 in London and 2 months later, Federer losing convincingly in the AO? with clearly Nadal sending a much more spiny ball and able to run everything down?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:16 pm

I would send everyone who doesn't believe Nadal dopes to a tennis court, give them a racquet, make them play without stopping, chain them to the court and come back in 6 hours Winking.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:42 pm

Tenez wrote:
luvsports! wrote:

I know! Not the shadow of a doubt for me! The guy was the worst natural runner I could think off....pure muscles and stamina! Fredericks was much better but came second each time!

Reg LA - I have read for years that he was no particular talent when young. Now when he started to take the drugs is a real mystery for ALL of us!

It's not true re LA. He was a very promising junior and won the world champs, as i said above, at 21! He started taking drugs at '95, which led to the cancer a year or so later.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:54 pm

FedererKing wrote:
In my view, the likelihood is, Nadal does not dope...

FK, I have no problem with whatever view you hold. That's your choice.

Just wondering if you would have believed that Agassi failed a drug test that the authorities NEVER made public to this day, if Andre himself didn't confess to having doped in his autobiography?

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:32 pm

luvsports! wrote:It's not true re LA. He was a very promising junior and won the world champs, as i said above, at 21! He started taking drugs at '95, which led to the cancer a year or so later.

Where do you get that info from? LA himself?  Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:11 pm

Yup at a swingers convention in Texas!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:34 pm

I meant I would not trust what LA says and yet that's the most "reliable" source you could have! In short we don't know when he started to dope!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bluenose Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:43 pm

I don't know much about energy physiology, but I've always thought that loading up on red blood cells is a dangerous thing for prolonged high heart rate exercise because the blood gets sludgy.  There probably are better ways to enhance ATP production than simply increasing RBCs, but I have no clue what they are.

Poor Ben, he was so childlike and trusting and so used.  The evil Carl Lewis never got trashed and ruined.  And I disagree about him being a poor natural runner, he was amazing in school.

I think the best evidence for Federer being clean is his stated wish for samples to be frozen for later testing.  Let's see what comes of the Turin tests now completed - apparently the outcome is being withheld until after Sochi.  The next summer olympics will see the re-test results of the former 2.  This new regime surely applies pressure to all sports federations to back-test, and just the possibility of this could have a big effect.

Obviously Federer is a highly competitive individual, but it really looks like he gets his thrills from playing the ball not from thrashing an opponent.  He's like a cat with a toy, pouncing on it and not so much aware of the controller of it except that he wants a superior controller to provide challenge and he does get bored and annoyed with routine or repetitive challenges.

I'm happy to see Switzerland go 2 up but sorry to hear Stan is maybe injured.  Arghh.  Was it that heavy spinny ball from Nadal in the final that affected his wrist do you think?

bluenose

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:56 pm

bluenose wrote: And I disagree about him being a poor natural runner, he was amazing in school....
It's one thing to shine at school and another to shine on the world stage. I read that he was a top 50 racer before taking drugs. However I agree that Lewis got away with doping too but I think he was still a better athlete than Ben....yet Ben appears more friendly and human, and even more honest than Lewis ever was.

Obviously Federer is a highly competitive individual, but it really looks like he gets his thrills from playing the ball not from thrashing an opponent.  He's like a cat with a toy, pouncing on it and not so much aware of the controller of it except that he wants a superior controller to provide challenge and he does get bored and annoyed with routine or repetitive challenges.
yes very true.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:07 pm

It's funny to see James Ward play tennis. he looks like he got stuck in the 90s. I am sure Murray would not be bulkier than him without his special training.

It seems Ward clearly does not wish to go that route.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bluenose Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:55 am

What you have read about Ben is very different from the actual experience of Ben.  Despite nitb's claim to understand Canada because she has an uncle in Vancouver, the reality is that Ben was trashed by the American machine.  It still amazes me that Donovan escaped vilification (beyond the "we didn't lose, we just didn't win" from the relay team).  Look at the horrible behaviour of the American short track speed skaters versus Canada.  They think we are their pigeons.

I am over the moon to see Ward down Querry.

bluenose

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:01 am

bluenose wrote:What you have read about Ben is very different from the actual experience of Ben.  Despite nitb's claim to understand Canada because she has an uncle in Vancouver, the reality is that Ben was trashed by the American machine.  It still amazes me that Donovan escaped vilification (beyond the "we didn't lose, we just didn't win" from the relay team).  Look at the horrible behaviour of the American short track speed skaters versus Canada.  They think we are their pigeons.

I am over the moon to see Ward down Querry.

My ignorant step uncle aside, you/Canada can count your blessings you didn't have to be bombed by Americans and their uranium depleted bombs like Serbia in 99.
My dearest friend died disfigured beyond recognition.
Novi Sad, the town Davis Cup match is being played in this weekend, had all its bridges across the Danube destroyed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_NATO_bombing_of_Novi_Sad
Nole, who chose to rest and skip this DC match visited the place he started playing tennis in and tweeted this photo of a bullet ridden  tennis wall he hit his first balls against:

Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 498654_320x320

Yet, when the Yanks came to Belgrade in 2010 to play DC match against Serbia, nobody booed them.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:15 am

From Wiki:
The CBC radio documentary, Rewind, "Ben Johnson: A Hero Disgraced" broadcast on Sept. 19, 2013, for the 25th Anniversary of the race, revealed 20 athletes tested positive for drugs but were cleared by the IOC at this 1988 Seoul Olympics, and an IOC official told CBC endocrine profiles done at those games indicated 80 percent of the track and field athletes tested showed evidence of long-term steroid use although few were banned or had their medals stripped.

It was Johnson's endocrine profile taken at those games that was used by the IOC to deny his appeal, even when evidence presented by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and others stated it may be possible that a substance consumed less than 45 minutes prior (a beer given to Johnson by André A. Jackson) could have metabolized and contaminated his urine sample.

In addition, CBC Radio was told by its sources that NBC had threatened to withhold its second rights payment to the IOC due on completion of these 1988 Seoul Olympics games stating, "if these games collapse in scandal, we're out and that money's gone."

Information FK could find interesting!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Yeah but that was 1988 Olympics. I agree there is a big drugs problem still (Armstrong for eg.), but the 'evidence' against Nadal is all circumstantial with nothing concrete. There simply isn't any proof. I find it unlikely. They have taken samples from him last year, surely?  And if he was doping, those would have come back positive.  So then you would have to come up with a conspiracy theory to explain things, and then you're in the realm of picking and choosing what to believe and rearranging the evidence to suit.

At the present time, all we can say for sure is, there is a possibility and nothing more.  If he is guilty, then rest assured, sooner or later he will be found out.  

What's not in question is his cheating behaviour on court.  It isn't surprising to me that many believe he dopes... he hardly makes it easy for people to believe him.  What galls me is how he escapes punishment for cheating that we can prove. I hate the guy intensely already, but if he was found to be doping too, I'd want him stripping of every Slam.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:46 pm

Fk did you not see what I said about the woeful testing? So many drugs to mask ped use as well are used across all sports.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Nothing concrete I agree. ....except unworldly physical performances!

Do you still believe in anti-doping tests? I certainly don't!

I did not wait for the LA scandal to make up my mind on LA, his unworldly performances were enough proof for me....like most of those super athletes nowadays.

Unworldly talent like Federer is quite different however...and the reason I still watch tennis.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:54 pm

Tenez wrote:Nothing concrete I agree. ....except unworldly physical performances!

That's not concrete evidence.  I am a big fan of Bruce Lee, and he makes Nadal look like a little boy.  He certainly didn't do steroids or anything other drug of that nature.  He had a physique that is unmatched.

Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 Leelats

It's quite possible to perform like Nadal without doping (you always get a one-off freak who has the right approach).  I agree that some of the timing of his injuries and other things are suspicious, but that alone isn't good enough to label someone a drugs cheat.

I will be watching the future unfold with a keen eye, though.  Thumbs Up

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:10 pm

Nadal is a better sportsman than Federer. 

Nadal takes time between points because of the fact he has OCD (which even you said). He is of course more likely to take MTOs, as he gets injured more frequently than most due to his style (still managed to have a successful career though...). With modern science and the fast progress in impact medicine, it's not surprising that MTOs can make an immediate difference to his performance. On court coaching is much rarer than Nadal haters think, and it's normally Toni just becoming over-enthusiastic and shouting encouragement. Truffin's analysis of his signals are wrong, I've been to Nadal matches and Toni is always fidgeting, even before Nadal has come on court. I once kept an eye on Toni and the Nadal camp for a short while during the match, and even during the point Toni is fidgeting, I think reading into that as some sort of secret signal is far fetched.

Federer meanwhile has sworn at the umpire before, as well as swearing at his opponent. I think this sort of thing is quite intimidating, the sort of thing you expect on a football pitch rather than tennis. 
In terms of pure cheating, look no further than Federer trying to con the umpire by pointing to totally the wrong mark against Nadal. I've discussed this with Tenez a few months ago, and I remember he had a few more examples of Federer doing that (which is bizarre coming from Tenez who loves Federer... but there you go). 
If we're talking injury excuses, Federer has talked a lot about his back especially at the end of the 2013 season, pretty much blaming many bad performances due to that. Now it may be a valid excuse, but he's still talking about injuries which is so so bad when Nadal does it, no? See his comments after the Berdych defeat in Wimbledon 2010... pretty much directly blames his injury. 

Last summer during work experience at Vitalise I was talking to someone with MND (wheelchair bound), and he told me about how a support group had done a deal with Wimbledon for him to be able to meet the players en-route from the entrance to Centre Court and the changing room for the first few days of the tournament, in a special area with access for disabled. He said many players waved and smiled, but Nadal was the only one to keep his bags down, and sign his autograph on his diary (which he showed me). This is after his Darcis loss. Federer apparently did look towards him (and the others who were with him) and smile after the Hanescu match, but apparently when he lost he just turned towards them and looked away seeming to be in a rush. You see, when Nadal does something like this, his PR team do not contact espn and make a big thing about it.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:22 pm

OCD is not an excuse for cheating or taking time between points or coaching or barging opponents.  A better sportsman than Fed?  Oh dear....

Also much of your post is hearsay. Completely.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:22 am

lol nadal is a better sportsman!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:54 am

Julia Santamaria wrote:Nadal is a better sportsman than Federer. 

Nadal takes time between points because of the fact he has OCD (which even you said). He is of course more likely to take MTOs, as he gets injured more frequently than most due to his style (still managed to have a successful career though...). With modern science and the fast progress in impact medicine, it's not surprising that MTOs can make an immediate difference to his performance. On court coaching is much rarer than Nadal haters think, and it's normally Toni just becoming over-enthusiastic and shouting encouragement. Truffin's analysis of his signals are wrong, I've been to Nadal matches and Toni is always fidgeting, even before Nadal has come on court. I once kept an eye on Toni and the Nadal camp for a short while during the match, and even during the point Toni is fidgeting, I think reading into that as some sort of secret signal is far fetched.

Federer meanwhile has sworn at the umpire before, as well as swearing at his opponent. I think this sort of thing is quite intimidating, the sort of thing you expect on a football pitch rather than tennis. 
In terms of pure cheating, look no further than Federer trying to con the umpire by pointing to totally the wrong mark against Nadal. I've discussed this with Tenez a few months ago, and I remember he had a few more examples of Federer doing that (which is bizarre coming from Tenez who loves Federer... but there you go). 
If we're talking injury excuses, Federer has talked a lot about his back especially at the end of the 2013 season, pretty much blaming many bad performances due to that. Now it may be a valid excuse, but he's still talking about injuries which is so so bad when Nadal does it, no? See his comments after the Berdych defeat in Wimbledon 2010... pretty much directly blames his injury. 

Last summer during work experience at Vitalise I was talking to someone with MND (wheelchair bound), and he told me about how a support group had done a deal with Wimbledon for him to be able to meet the players en-route from the entrance to Centre Court and the changing room for the first few days of the tournament, in a special area with access for disabled. He said many players waved and smiled, but Nadal was the only one to keep his bags down, and sign his autograph on his diary (which he showed me). This is after his Darcis loss. Federer apparently did look towards him (and the others who were with him) and smile after the Hanescu match, but apparently when he lost he just turned towards them and looked away seeming to be in a rush. You see, when Nadal does something like this, his PR team do not contact espn and make a big thing about it.
 Doh muppet.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:56 am

Amri, you did it!
You finally got it off your chest in a non"imitating" way, well done!
See, nothing happened, the Earth is still going round (only just....).

The next phase is to try and see Nadal for what he is - just an average tennis player whose uncle has managed to do an amazing job with, but also in a way he can't be  proud of in his conscience.
You try and portray Nadal as a naughty little scoundrel who gets away with eating jam in the larder when his mum is not looking and minimise the true scale of the damage he has done by refusing to see it in proper light.
At the same time you blow up minor aspects of undesirable behaviour from Federer making him somehow worse than Nadal.
Unfortunately, he does a bit more damage than that...all well documented in this forum many times over...so much so that I call him the death of tennis.
I wish he wasn't, but he is.

As for Federer (and Nole and others), it's also good to see them for who and what they are and not idolise them as they, like the rest of us, are far from perfect. Even the best of men are just men at best!

I find players' off-the court charity work overly PR-ed. It is their private thing which in my opinion is publicised too much. I would like to hope they would all share their last piece of bread with a poor man in the street if the opportunity presented itself.

Federer, despite your well documented series of incidents, respects the game a lot more than Nadal. He lets his racquet do the talking, as the game should be played.
No time between the points taken, no "waiting" mind games at the net, no attempts to steal the momentum from the opponent.
These are all HUGE things when you play tennis.

I couldn't care less whether my opponents shake hands with people in the wheelchair when I play them.
What I do care very much about is that I can play freely knowing they won't be cheating and polluting the flow of the game, using every trick in the book to trip you, watch you fall and don't offer the hand, giving you a good kicking while you're down for good measure...
Because that's how it feels to play Nadal.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:33 pm

Wow, Federer 9: Nadal 1 in the ATP Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award. I didn't realise nadal hasn't even come close versus Fed in the sportsmanship contest.

Furthermore Fed also won the International Clubs Jean Borotra CQS Sportsmanship Award 2013: http://www.itftennis.com/about/news/articles/federer-wins-sportsmanship-award.aspx

“….The award is only made periodically to a player who has shown throughout his or her playing career the outstanding standard of sportsmanship commensurate with the objects of the International Clubs.

The objective of the ICs is to “develop, encourage and maintain the highest standards of sportsmanship and understanding among players of all nations and among young players in particular”. Past winners are Stefan Edberg, Chris Evert, Todd Martin, Maria Bueno, Pat Rafter, Kim Clijsters, Gustavo Kuerten and Mats Wilander….”

Where is nadal if he's just a good sportsman?  Laugh  

Poor Amri, dreaming is easy to do. It's not anonymous forum posters you've to convince. It's the Stefan Edberg, the IC Sportsmanship Award committees and the relevant Press that you need to convince to validate your wishful thinking "nadal is a better sportsman than federer." Fact remains, it's such an embarrassment to the sport  that nadal hasn't  even proven he's a better sportsman than Rosol.

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:03 pm

I think the way the winner of the Sportsmanship award is fundamentally flawed.

For example Nadal has been the only person to win it in recent year apart from Federer... but is he the second best sportsman? No, Tsonga I think is better... and how do we know there aren't loads ranked between 100-400 etc.?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:05 pm

You can't have it both ways, either the sportsmanship award is valid in the way it works, in which case you must all admit that Nadal is currently the best sportsman in recent years apart from Roger; or you agree with me that the process is flawed.
With the evidence I've given against Roger, despite being in general a good ambassador for the sport, there's no chance he's the best sportsman out on tour. He's the only person I've seen in the past decade swearing at an umpire.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:22 pm

Agree re the sportsmanship award, but no way is nadal a better sportsman than feds.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:44 pm

That's your opinion; I'm not going to insult you or call you a muppet (as ROTLA did) for it.
Certainly I watch the Challenger events quite regularly, and from what I've seen there are better sportsmen than Nadal- ie even without Hawkeye they don't complain to the umpire when getting a poor decision.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:43 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:That's your opinion; I'm not going to insult you or call you a muppet (as ROTLA did) for it.
Certainly I watch the Challenger events quite regularly, and from what I've seen there are better sportsmen than Nadal- ie even without Hawkeye they don't complain to the umpire when getting a poor decision.

Amitia does it ever occur to your that it is possible that Fed actually could  make a mistake about the ball mark. Every single match numerous times linesmen miss the spot and call it wrongly. I've seen many times even on clay umpires getting it wrong about the ball mark. They are all cheating isn't it?

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Federer had a pretty clear view when he was hitting the ball (you can see from the footage his eye is on it), and then he points to a mark nowhere near where the ball is landed... even though these is a clear mark exactly where the ball just landed.

It is true though that it is impossible to prove 100% unless we can read Federer's mind.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:You can't have it both ways, either the sportsmanship award is valid in the way it works, in which case you must all admit that Nadal is currently the best sportsman in recent years apart from Roger; or you agree with me that the process is flawed.
With the evidence I've given against Roger, despite being in general a good ambassador for the sport, there's no chance he's the best sportsman out on tour. He's the only person I've seen in the past decade swearing at an umpire.

Hot air galore!  Laugh You're not making sense. You purposefully getting it backwards? No, we must all admit that nadal is currently the best cheat.

Of course Roger can have it both ways. He's proven it. You’re just too thick and envious to see it. All you're doing is blowing hot air because the official and established records of Fed being THE sportsman spoil your nadal worship.

Too bad. Since when do you have more credibility than the Sportsmanship Award committees and all the people who voted for Fed and Mandela as the 2 most honest and respected public figures?

And while you’re up there on your high horse, you’ve yet to answer my question why nadal needs to break all the rules in order for him to win, IF it is true that he's as good as you claim?

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:57 pm

It's true. Basically, Julia discards or excuses any evidence that doesn't fit the result she/he wants. This is precisely what conspiracy theorists do. Facts support Federer being the better sportsman and facts support Nadal being a lying cheat. Facts also showed that he barged into his opponent during a match.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:04 pm

SR, it's pretty clear what I'm saying, just calm down with the smileys and try to think.
I will take you through step by step.

-Nadal is the only player apart from Federer to have won the Sportsmanshp award in the past few years.
-Thus if you are using the Sportsmanship title as an indicator, Nadal would be the second best sportsman in the last few years.
-If you disagree with that, you are doubting the validity of the sportsmanship award.  

-I believe the sportsmanship award is fundamentally flawed
-This is because it is a popular vote, which gives a clear bias to players who are more well known and have a lot of positive publicity.
-This is accentuated further by the fact if a legend like Federer comes to any tennis player and says 'Hi, how was your day' they will be ecstatic; but if the world number 150 did the same thing in a nicer tone, players would be nonchalant.
-It may be possible that there are players lower down the circuit, who are playing under huge pressure to even financially cope with the tennis tour, with better sportsmanship. Infact I watched Challenger events quite regularly, and from what I see there are many players who show great sportsmanship.
-Thus I believe that the best sportsman is probably not even in the top 100, so thus any award is superficial, unless people are hired to study closely the behaviour of all the tennis players.

-As for your last question, I have reviewed the evidence and come to the conclusion that Nadal is a better sportsman than Federer, so I could simply throw the same question back at you. Of course you do not have to agree with me on this judgement, you are welcome to disagree and I will not call you names (and hopefully from now on you will reciprocate that).

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:02 pm

FEDERER=BEST SPORTSMAN; NADAL=BEST CHEAT
History says so, simple as that. 

Let Nadal himself do the work and prove his worth accordingly, if he wants to change/overturn history. It's not up to you. Who needs more bogus claims, wishful thinking and a bunch of sour grapes? You can do better than that.

CASE CLOSE. .

Last edited by SR on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:05 pm

But for your tireless defense of the indefensible Amri, you definitely deserve an A+++.

Congrats, I hereby present you the very special OTF SOUR LEMON AWARD + a bonus photo of your idol, Raphael Nadal: Best Pin-up Sportsman 

Decoding Amri's Jinxes: Nobody saw it coming but Nadal did, that's why he lost. - Page 3 HRpWBTOsvARQcKleWrEMt

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Right, how about instead of responding with an explicit photo which fills the page, or writing sentences with wrong grammar in capital letters, you actually attempt to address the points I've made?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:34 am

Here's Nadal in full flow after his loss to Soderling at the French Open

“Well sure, he did well, he did very well. But I think I didn’t play my best tennis.”

and on the chanting of “Ro-bin,” not “Ra-fa.”

“It’s too bad really — at a tournament that means so much to me and is so beautiful — that the public has never made such a gesture to me,” Nadal said. “But I’m not going to use that as an excuse. I have lots of years to come back here. I hope one year, the public will do that for me.”

You see, Amri, Nadal is as clueless as you when it comes to why he doesn't get any respect :P

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:39 am

It wasn't helped when i think a comment he made, praising feds, was misinterpreted and made nadal look bad. Think it was when he beat feds in 06 FO final.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:50 am

I think Nadal is probably right- he didn't play his best tennis in that match; but bringing your best to the Grand Slams is very much part of the game. Nadal recognised this, and hence said Robin played well and deserved the win.

Funny how you didn't mention this though, from the BBC Sport:

BBC wrote:
Federer went on to reveal that he was suffering from back and thigh problems picked up while contesting the pre-Wimbledon grass-court event in Halle, Germany.

Federer blames back trouble for defeat

"I'm unhappy with the way I'm playing, I couldn't play the way I wanted to," added the Swiss, who needed five sets to overcome Alejandro Fall in the first round and four to oust Ilija Bozoljac in the second. "I'm struggling with a little bit of a back and a leg issue. They don't allow me to play the way I would like to.
"The leg issue came in the final of Halle and returned a little bit after my first-round match here. It went away again but just kept creeping back during the matches.
"For the last five or six days the back has been really bad. It's normal that the back tends to get stiff in the grass-court season but it's just not nice when it doesn't go away and you can't play freely. That's what I was missing today."

As for the second quote, Nadal has certainly got a better reception from the crowd in recent years- the semi against Djokovic last year he got fantastic crowd support. Nadal is the second most popular player in the world, although his fan base is getting bigger every day.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:53 am

And no one has yet addressed my post yesterday at 11:04, ignoring it I'm afraid doesn't help.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:55 am

I have a ticket for this year's RG final, cough-cough, so Nole is going to get some proper support there diva
When I went there last year I admit I was a bit apprehensive about the RG crowd, but we got along beautifully!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:00 am

I remember the crowd booing him against Tsonga in 2012 for basically no reason, the French crowd haven't yet taken to him.
However I have a feeling he will start to become more popular there with time.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:08 am

Wishful thinking. The french crowd know him too well.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:15 am

I was talking about Djokovic.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:19 am

I admit, the Frenchies really know their tennis, and that crowd will always pick a better ball striker.
I used to think they were biased, but they are not, they just love tennis and unlike Wimbledon crowd don't hold their emotions back, my kind of atmosphere Winking
I don't think they dislike Nole at all in fact, but it's a bit ridiculous to expect they'd cheer for him over Federer.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next