Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final! EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final! EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final! EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final! EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final! EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final! EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final! EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final! EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final! EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final!

4 posters

Go down

Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final! Empty Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final!

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:07 pm

It's sad! I have just returned from Court 1 and Center court, I have also watched matches sitting next to the line judge on the smaller courts and I am sorry to say but the conds are still dead slow. The balls again! They are big(ger), fluffy(ier), pressureless(er) and probably light(er). The shuttlecock effect has never been so obvious. The amount of balls you'd expect to see out which slow down dramatically at the baseline and fall in, the number of great serves returned and the amount of balls returned has never been as high. It's simply terrible.

I was hoping that things woudl change this year and the organisers would learn from the previous years mistakes but no, they are making things as bad as ever.

Let's not forget this is the first week, the first day even, in that second week, it's going to get worse!

My interest in tennis is dropping fast!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final! Empty Re: Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final!

Post by Tenez Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:59 pm

From Federer :“You do realise the moment you walk onto the court that it is a different place here than any other,” Federer said. “Just the respectful clap, and no music. The whole thing is very much focussed on the players and on the sport, which is beautiful.

“Today, the court played perfectly. It was virtually brand new in terms of the way the grass was. That felt special in its own way. I love playing on Monday. We had a great atmosphere on Court 1.”

I confirm the atmosphere was good.

BTW, considering Ruffin's points about Federer's serve, do we know how fast he usually serves on grass? THose are today's stats.

126 MPHFastest serve
113 MPHAverage 1st serve speed
98 MPHAverage 2nd serve speed

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final! Empty Re: Push Forward to the Next Nadal v Djoko final!

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:16 am

Last edited by noleisthebest on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:11 am

Yes the WImbledon atmosphere is so stiff. BUt as Federer says, it's just about tennis, nothing else. And that is what I like very much. Of course there was no drama so people were even more restrained than usual...but as soon as it heats up and pimms and beers go down people can suddenly unleash all their emotions like they do for finals or when a great match is played.

It's just great....different in its own way and that is good.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Tenez wrote:From Federer :“You do realise the moment you walk onto the court that it is a different place here than any other,” Federer said. “Just the respectful clap, and no music. The whole thing is very much focussed on the players and on the sport, which is beautiful.

“Today, the court played perfectly. It was virtually brand new in terms of the way the grass was. That felt special in its own way. I love playing on Monday. We had a great atmosphere on Court 1.”

I confirm the atmosphere was good.

BTW, considering Ruffin's points about Federer's serve, do we know how fast he usually serves on grass? THose are today's stats.

126 MPHFastest serve
113 MPHAverage 1st serve speed
98 MPHAverage 2nd serve speed

What's your take on the serve speed Tenez? Did you notice anything with Fed? Could be lingering affects of back issues.

I'm going to go back and look but I would think his typical 1st serve avg at Wimby should be about 120........... I just saw Nadal who is having a poor match for the most part is serving 119mph avg and fastest of 130..............

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by TimRuffin Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:32 pm

I couldn't find stats myself, but it looks like his fans on Fed's official website forum have picked up on it. Lots of discussion there.. Here's some stats one person posted:

"HIs AVG. OVERALL serve speed in most Wimbledon matches from 2006 onwards has been about 117-120. His AVG. speed for the one down the T on deuce court has been 123-126. His AVG. out wide on the AD side has been 116-119. Over the past five years, he has been able to crank up literally a hundred + serves down the T on the deuce to 128+. He has served a dozens of bombs out wide on the AD at 120+. The screwdriver up the T on the AD is very difficult to hit as hard.

The fact that he couldn't hit one faster than 120 at all today is worrying (I'm hoping he is conserving energy), but I saw a lot of the same thing at Halle and RG. "

Considering he was down to 113 overall 1st serve avg does make you wonder. Of course, he didn't NEED to serve faster. It looks like in the past though- it's about what I thought it should be- 120mph range.

TimRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:44 pm

An interesting discussion about court pace at Wimbledon from JA606:

I don't knwo if you watched last night's six love six, but it was Mac who was opposing Henman's and Cash's view that the grass has slowed down.
-----------------------------------------------
No I did not but Mc was saying exactly that when arguing with Woodford 4 or 5 years ago...if not more.

McEnroe can really come up with absurd comments....but strangely enough he was saying earlier while commenting that they purposedly slowed down the surface after Pete and Goran.

I am so glad Henman agrees with me (If I can say it that way around) regarding the 2001/2002 years.

Cause I have argued a 1000 times with Lydian that 2001 grass was fast and that 2002 was slow. Lydian's point was that 100% reye grass implemented in 2001 slowed down the conds. I completely disagreed saying that if anything extended the pace of and quality of grass till later in the second week. However I have always mentioned that 2002 was the introduction of bigger balls and that is what many players complained....including Henman and this is why we had for the first time in decades baseliners in the final.

So..once again I confirm I was right in just another argument against comical Lydian!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:06 pm

You should rub it in her face Tenez,lets see what BS excuse she comes up with for being wrong

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:07 pm

She (Or He) would threaten to leave the forum again. Winking

As you know I cannot post there anymore.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Tenez wrote:She (Or He) would threaten to leave the forum again. Winking

As you know I cannot post there anymore.

Precisely,maybe she'll come here... Big Grin
Ruffin and Common sense can still comment there,they should post it there in your defence to wind her up lol

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Yep, though I suspect he will find a way out again of some sorts.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum