Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Will Nadal ever win a Tour Finals title?
What do you like and dislike about OTF? EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:49 pm by Daniel2

» I Just Can't Help Believing!
What do you like and dislike about OTF? EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:18 pm by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
What do you like and dislike about OTF? EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
What do you like and dislike about OTF? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
What do you like and dislike about OTF? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
What do you like and dislike about OTF? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
What do you like and dislike about OTF? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
What do you like and dislike about OTF? EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
What do you like and dislike about OTF? EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

What do you like and dislike about OTF?

+6
N2D2L
mikeyM1000
Daniel
legendkillar
noleisthebest
Tenez
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What do you like and dislike about OTF? Empty What do you like and dislike about OTF?

Post by Tenez Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 am

Let's be frank. Criticism is often good to hear, can be helpful in improving the place while stating good things can of course be good to be reminded and encouraging.

Imo, I'd say this place is rather relax and cool despite discussing hot topics such as gamesmanship, doping, and being critcical of the way the sport is ran. There are some hot tempered posters but even those keep it rather controlled and I appreciate that (hopefully it can stay like that) The down side is that there is maybe not enough activity or rather enough posters to express different views. It is probably due to the fact we discuss sensitive subjects where some might feel uncomfortable. In a way it can certainly put off fans of players.

What's your view on OTF? speak your mind....that has always been my approach...especially on the web.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

What do you like and dislike about OTF? Empty Re: What do you like and dislike about OTF?

Post by noleisthebest Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:48 am

I must say one of the reasons I love OTF is that I can speak my mind freely.
I've always been straight talking, so felt quite suffocated on other forums.
I am passionate about tennis and think it's important to be oneself at all times.

After all, we all come here because we like tennis, the beauty of it all is everyone has different reasons, I respect them all, despite disagreeing with various viewpoints.

It does get hot here from time to time, and it's good that we all try our best to count to ten before we type things out.

I have always found it fascinating that when watching tennis live, how fans of all players there sit so peaceably next to each other.
I remember being a right pain waving my flag during last year's WTF final, but the two Italian guys supporting Fed sitting below me put up with me admirably!

I personally have learnt a lot here, and as a result enjoy tennis even more. I thought LK's thread Ask Tenez was fantastic!

My personal wish and dream would be if all could be more open and just say what's on their heart, esp on non player related topics, none of us know everything here, I try my best to express those thoughts on Is Tennis...? thread, and always secretly hope others would join and share their tennis reveries there.

Tennis is one of the nicest things in life and it would be good if we remembered it now and then, trying to bring the best out of each other smiley

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

What do you like and dislike about OTF? Empty Re: What do you like and dislike about OTF?

Post by legendkillar Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:59 am

I like the openess here to express opinions on all subjects related to tennis. I think that is OTF's strong selling point to tennis observers. It does have a community feel to as the regular posters do get on. It's a good place for those who wish to discuss things which are taboo on other forums.

I think what is required is new subjects to be discussed. As an outsider and rare contributor I believe this place can be viewed as a Nadal bashing forum and I think for that to change requires new subjects to be discussed. I grant that is difficult given the lack of young and new talent coming through making any inroads into the top 200 rankings and also with lack of changes to conditions have created a stagnant feel to the game. It would be good to have a discussion about doping which doesn't lead into a Nadal bashing/defending exercise between his detractors, but also his supporters. It requires a wider view across the game and how it's impact could be affecting the whole sport and not just the top end. I agree on a thread NITB said a whistle blower is required in tennis to put some meat on the bones and give the tennis world something to actually discuss. What we get is players testing positive and being given lenient punishment as a result. We see Troicki punished and rightfully so and yet we have Cillic who gets a joke of sentence given both scenario's were a poor judgment of error.

I have to admit my interest in tennis slightly died after watching Murray v Ferrer at Miami. As you know I am a Murray fan, but even that match had me cringing and that was supposed to be a final of a major tournament and the tennis in quality was lacking in buckets. Watching Wimbledon was emotional and pride seeing a Brit winning Wimbledon was amazing, but I am still not struck with the quality of tennis. The best thing this year was the emergence of Wawrikna as a potential candidate, until I saw his thighs and they were bigger than mine!!!!

Sorry to hijack my post here. But yes we need something more fresh to enhance the appeal and as posters we have a duty to do that. I see NITB is always posting news and going's on. I think it needs more enthusiasm to get things moving smiley

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:56 am

The problem is, people just love Nadal and can't help themselves, I think most forums would be dead without him Laugh 
As Tenez said, he helps us to formulate our views so well!

I don't know if you've had the time to have a look around here, but there are so many (in my opinion) really interesting threads and topics to discuss here, but they barely get commented on Sad
But if I was to start a thread:
"Nadal Sucks, discuss!"
bet it would take off like a space shuttle!

Now that it's off season, maybe we could go back to these:

https://ourtennisforum.forumotion.co.uk/t27-the-return-game
https://ourtennisforum.forumotion.co.uk/t254-which-h2h-is-really-interesting
https://ourtennisforum.forumotion.co.uk/t338-great-matches
https://ourtennisforum.forumotion.co.uk/t391-the-next-number-one

Personally, I would like to talk about sports memories.
Sports events that stayed with us or inspired us.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:19 am

I think it would be nice to touch on tennis of yesteryear because that for me does hold some special memories. There were some big personalities which I think are missing in today's game.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:50 am

Like you LK I am posting considerably less than a year essentially cause my interest in the game dropped and it's certainly got to do with Federer drop of form. Without him we see what tennis is all about nowadays. It's simply "professional" tennis without the art form. Not very pretty and that Murray Ferrer match sums it up in a way and the Nole v Nadal matches even more so.

Yes this site could do with more posters and more subjects but it suffers from being a spin out of v2 which in turn was a spin out of the BBC, so of course we are losing energy in the process. It's fair to say that the energy NITB and I put at the beginning in v2 made v2 what it was and they robbed it from us. V2 was the form/media (very easy to do as it took me 30mn to set up this one) but we were the content (essentially what people are interested about).

Here we can have pro Nadals we would never feel annoyed about it. I think at least 75% of us are also anti Djoko and Murray for very similar reasons yet we do not argue endlessly. Look at Amri trying to tease us with that "hypocrisy" thread. We can reply or ignore but none of us have escalated it in mean insults....so far anyway. It would have been so easy though.

Imagine me posting such a thing on a pro Rafa site. We'd be kicked out in a flash....actually we did!erm 

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:04 pm

I think tennis will rely more so on Nadal, Djokovic and Murray in the next few years which is why I don't anticipate any change in the game which is disappointing. I have posted less on forums because my interest has slowly died.

I feel the bans dished out by V2 were extremely harsh. I have to say things have changed on V2 since those days and there is a much more lenient approach. I would certainly welcome you back on there. I think V2 appeals to the diplomats whereas here you can get more stronger minded individuals who want to discuss the more sensitive issues in tennis and the world of sport. I would suggest maybe speaking with Julius and see if you can get your ban lifted because posting on 2 sites certainly helps me maintain the balance on tennis views. JA606 tennis section has died to death I think.

There are forums out there which are just chaos Laugh

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:21 pm

legendkillar wrote:
I feel the bans dished out by V2 were extremely harsh. I have to say things have changed on V2 since those days and there is a much more lenient approach. I would certainly welcome you back on there. I think V2 appeals to the diplomats whereas here you can get more stronger minded individuals who want to discuss the more sensitive issues in tennis and the world of sport. I would suggest maybe speaking with Julius and see if you can get your ban lifted because posting on 2 sites certainly helps me maintain the balance on tennis views. :
Sorry/thanks/no offence LK, but....

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!! Yikes

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:56 pm

legendkillar wrote:I think tennis will rely more so on Nadal, Djokovic and Murray in the next few years which is why I don't anticipate any change in the game which is disappointing. I have posted less on forums because my interest has slowly died.

I feel the bans dished out by V2 were extremely harsh. I have to say things have changed on V2 since those days and there is a much more lenient approach. I would certainly welcome you back on there. I think V2 appeals to the diplomats whereas here you can get more stronger minded individuals who want to discuss the more sensitive issues in tennis and the world of sport. I would suggest maybe speaking with Julius and see if you can get your ban lifted because posting on 2 sites certainly helps me maintain the balance on tennis views. JA606 tennis section has died to death I think.

There are forums out there which are just chaos Laugh
Thanks but I really do not wish to go back to v2. I have always said there are some good posters there and they know who they are....but gone are the days when I'll spend my days posting.

What has been of interest to me lately is the way a great sport did turn into a circus (like cycling has where you realise that corruption is again there from top to bottom)...something tennis fans in general do not wish to hear as it may tarnish the sport and players they love but which is a sore reality. Sure I may have been credulous to believe it was different in the past as sport has actually always been a circus designed to entertain the crowd or masses. But it has simply turned to some extremes lately and after giving up on track racing, swimming, cycling I will also give up when those players relying relying on talent will simply have zero chance to win a slam....which is actually about when Fed hangs his racquet.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:08 pm

This place beats v2 hands down.   V2, and most forums, are badly run and full to the brim of pally-pally moderators basking in a clique mentality.  Here, you are allowed to express your opinion without five users calling for you to be banned every two seconds and admins/moderators picking and choosing which parts of their own rule book to agree with.

I have to say things have changed on V2 since those days
Nonsense.  It's the same as ever because the same users and admins and moderators are there. The reason this forum may be seen as anti-Nadal is precisely because we were all banned for being anti-Nadal.  Don't blame us, blame v2.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Part of the stagnation of tennis forums is due to the stagnation of tennis. There are only so many ways to discuss the big 4 over and over again. As such, the subject matter, as others have alluded to, needs to be broader. I don't think the 'sensitive' subjects put people off, because those same subjects are discussed elsewhere (even on v2), but some posters will be put off if other posters are going to be allowed to personally insult and offend each other (even if they themselves don't get insulted - they will just stay away from a forum if they see an overall tone of hostility between posters) and a smaller number of posters, I think, will be put off by personal insults directed at players, which is just tough really IMO. There are, however, ways to make the same points and arguments, without resorting to the baser language.

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to run a forum. Some forums allows players to be called c*nts, some don't. Some forums allow posters to call each other morons, others don't. That's just the way it is, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's no doubt that the vitriol that can be thrown about on here will put some people off, even if some other people will join because they want that sort of thing allowed.

V2 benefits from having forums for all sports, so some posters cross-over from time to time, which helps. However, it also has a higher profile, which imposes limits on what can be said. OTF allows libellous statements, which V2 can't afford to have.

I can understand why Tenez and NITB have no wish to return to V2 - they've stated this before - even though things are different over there than at the time of their departure.

What you really need is a limerick thread like this one
http://www.606v2.com/t48640-the-make-your-own-limerick-up-thread

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:56 pm

FedererKing wrote:The reason this forum may be seen as anti-Nadal is precisely because we were all banned for being anti-Nadal.  Don't blame us, blame v2.
No, no, no.
NITB was banned for advertising another forum (which is given capital punishment on v2), while ROTLA, LS, Gallery Play are not banned for v2 at all.
Only Tenez and you as far as I'm aware have been banned for a reason connected to Nadal.
I mean the person who hates Nadal the most by a country mile, from the posters I have come across, not only posts there but also moderates.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Tenez wrote:Here we can have pro Nadals we would never feel annoyed about it.
What about ROTLA's 'rot in the river' comment?

Look at Amri trying to tease us with that "hypocrisy" thread.
Come on Tenez, surely even you can agree that what I said on that thread was absolutely spot on?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Julius,
I think you are quite aware that OTF posters are very happy here.
We don't make multiple IDs and post on v2, it's actually the other way round, you and a few others do and post here.

V2 has been pretty boring and uneventful since we left.
That's not arrogance, that's the truth.

You have a couple of oldies Nadal fans who know nothing about tennis, and a few others who pretend they do.

And then a few more who do but post once in a blue moon and sit on the fence in the process.

Here, it's pure quality diva

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:05 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
I mean the person who hates Nadal the most by a country mile, from the posters I have come across, not only posts there but also moderates.
If I don't deny this you'll only turn around at some point and say "You didn't deny it".
I deny it. Other than that, I will leave you to your illusion.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:06 pm

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:11 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Julius,
I think you are quite aware that OTF posters are very happy here.
We don't make multiple IDs and post on v2, it's actually the other way round, you and a few others do and post here.

V2 has been pretty boring and uneventful since we left.
That's not arrogance, that's the truth.

You have a couple of oldies Nadal fans who know nothing about tennis, and a few others who pretend they do.

And then a few more who do but post once in a blue moon and sit on the fence in the process.

Here, it's pure quality diva
It's neither arrogance, nor the truth - it's your opinion smiley

PS - you can change my ID, if you wish.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:18 pm

mikeyM1000 wrote:There's no doubt that the vitriol that can be thrown about on here will put some people off, even if some other people will join because they want that sort of thing allowed.
I don't think we throw vitriol here. Some tried to at the beginning and they were kicked out. We have no interest in being rude to each other. I remember having much harder arguments on V2 if anything.

V2 benefits from having forums for all sports, so some posters cross-over from time to time, which helps. However, it also has a higher profile, which imposes limits on what can be said. OTF allows libellous statements, which V2 can't afford to have.
That I can agree with but this is why I think V2 is actually a bit less mature....more part of the circus show than sports cause you simply cannot discuss the real problems of sport or certainly not in depth. Shame cause frankly the internet is a very free space so far and no-one has ever been sued for something written on the net. There V2 takes itself a bit too seriously imo.

What you really need is a limerick thread like this one
http://www.606v2.com/t48640-the-make-your-own-limerick-up-thread
Good one....who starts it?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:24 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
Tenez wrote:Here we can have pro Nadals we would never feel annoyed about it.
What about ROTLA's 'rot in the river' comment?
Sure Rotla can be hot tempered at times but always apologises if he feels he has been a bit too far. He is at the bottom very fair, honest and open minded as his views on players has constantly been moving...which I cannot even say of myself.

Look at Amri trying to tease us with that "hypocrisy" thread.
Come on Tenez, surely even you can agree that what I said on that thread was absolutely spot on?
[/quote] No I disagree. NITB suspects Djoko is on something..this is something which certainly is not hypocritical.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Anyone can start the limerick - the only rule is that you can only write one line at a time.

I do know of forum admins who have had to spend time dealing with the police (and pay for legal representation, I think) after some posts on their sites, which broke legal requirements. They were not sued afaik, but it cost time and money and threatened the existence of the site.

As such, issues can be discussed on V2 to the same extent as a newspaper or the old BBC 606.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Tenez wrote:No I disagree. NITB suspects Djoko is on something..this is something which certainly is not hypocritical.
Did you read the article thoroughly Tenez?
The argument was that NITB has said she thinks Djokovic is doping, but still supports him equal to players who aren't doping; despite hating doping.
In which way is that not hypocritical?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:06 pm

Tenez wrote:Sure Rotla can be hot tempered at times but always apologises if he feels he has been a bit too far.
He hasn't apologised for the remarks I talked about earlier.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:24 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
Tenez wrote:No I disagree. NITB suspects Djoko is on something..this is something which certainly is not hypocritical.
Did you read the article thoroughly Tenez?
The argument was that NITB has said she thinks Djokovic is doping, but still supports him equal to players who aren't doping; despite hating doping.
In which way is that not hypocritical?
I'll respond there...not here.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bluenose Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:10 pm

I was going to say that I appreciate that posters talk about playing, not only viewing, tennis, and that I like the general lack of pomposity and "gotcha" moments and silliness over contrived statistics - but now this has blown into the thread!

bluenose

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:30 pm

I must clearly say that concept of OTF as an open forum, i.e. without activism of moderators is only one, which is correct. Even in the best case if moderators are gods, their activism by means of postings affect posters's discussions and therefore that kind of forum can't be never independent and fair. We also know that v2 moderators are a bit far away from being gods. Therefore there has been emerged a big bunch of posters, who know very little about tennis, don't give any tennis perceptions and just focus to big up their favorite player. Most of discussions are empty, lack tennis views and analysis and are witless. Quantity can't never overcome quality. OTF is much more mature and ahead of v2.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:50 pm

paulcz wrote:I must clearly say that concept of OTF as an open forum, i.e. without activism of moderators is only one, which is correct. Even in the best case if moderators are gods, their activism by means of postings affect posters's discussions and therefore that kind of forum can't be never independent and fair. We also know that v2 moderators are a bit far away from being gods. Therefore there has been emerged a big bunch of posters, who know very little about tennis, don't give any tennis perceptions and just focus to big up their favorite player. Most of discussions are empty, lack tennis views and analysis and are witless. Quantity can't never overcome quality. OTF is much more mature and ahead of v2.
Send me your bank account details. Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Fair enough paulcz, although I not sure that your statement that v2 mods are a bit far away from being gods qualifies as a mature post Winking
I would have thought it self-evident.
Not every post/thread can (or should IMHO) delve deeply into the technical areas of tennis.
Tenez has expressed an opinion in the OP that OTF might not have enough posters to express different views. paul, if you're critical of 'witless' posters, presumably you would actively discourage some new posters from joining, if they didn't measure up to your standards (or ban the ones who joined but weren't good enough?).
This would go against the ethos of an open forum, accepting of all.
You can't have it both ways, surely?

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:05 pm

Julius,
I think there is a bit of misunderstanding on your behalf.
I don't think anyone here is desperate for new posters. Everyone is welcome, of course, and a lot of people have joined us and it's an ongoing process.
We don't have a 5 year plan and any deadlines or targets to meet.
I remember good old Gav and his real estate agent type of enthusiasm, poor thing probably thought he was going to float v2 and become an internet millionaire! Laugh 
We are about tennis and nothing else.
There are several people who have good understanding of it and it's a pleasure to read what they have to say.
Tennis is a huge subject and offers a wealth of different looks.
Feel free to start a limerick on OTF!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:18 pm

OK, maybe I've misunderstood. Tenez referred to it as a 'down side' but maybe, as I said before, it's simply a case of different people liking different things, and no single forum can cater for that.
I don't consider it as right or wrong, better or worse, or as some sort of competition - just different people with different preferences.
I will say that the enthusiasm for tennis is just as great across both forums.

My limericks are frequently offensive NITB - are you sure you want me to start one?

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:22 pm

Both OTF have v2tennis have relatively low numbers as tennis forums go.
MTF and tennis warehouse are both considerably bigger forums than OTF & v2, don't think anyone can deny that.

In terms of between OTF and v2, there is probably relatively equal if not mariginally more posts/views on both- but v2 have more posters while OTF has a few posters who post more often.
It's very different from earlier this year, where the number of posts and comments per week on v2 were nearly 5 times more than OTF, v2 has much less traffic compared to before while OTF has marginally more.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:43 pm

mikeyM1000 wrote:OK, maybe I've misunderstood. Tenez referred to it as a 'down side' but maybe, as I said before, it's simply a case of different people liking different things, and no single forum can cater for that.
I don't consider it as right or wrong, better or worse, or as some sort of competition - just different people with different preferences.
I will say that the enthusiasm for tennis is just as great across both forums.

My limericks are frequently offensive NITB - are you sure you want me to start one?
I do believe having more posters or even more posting would be good. At the beginning I was sneaking in V2 and could see many new threads created...I think that is good and would be good for this forum...though having said that I am less tempted to post as much and I also enjoy the quietness of OTF.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 pm

You're right Tenez, it's a double-edged sword. There are times when V2 is quieter and I quite enjoy that as well.

I'm not sure how anyone would go about getting new members on a forum, but I'm fairly sure that most Nadal fans would probably stay away from a forum that calls him the death of tennis, a doper and a cheating **** and the worse type of human being smiley But maybe that's the desired effect?

I once told NITB I'd post here more when Fed and Nadal had retired - because they're more trouble than they're worth, in terms of arguing about them. And as you once put it "Julius doesn't know much about tennis, but at least he doesn't pretend to." But who knows, you may still have to put up with the odd ill-informed post from me every now and then Winking

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:01 pm

To me, the key is to have all posters use their talent and weapons to the max Winking 
Because it has been so relaxed and unrushed here, I have had the space and freedom to articulate many thoughts.
I never felt liberated like that anywhere else.
So to me, that is very special.

It is always great to hear personal stories and experiences, too.
If people don't have that sense of freedom, which I didn't on v2, you end up with blandness and mediocrity.
People feel the pressure to "agree" , "congratulate" and worst of all, ingratiate!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:02 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
People feel the pressure to "agree" , "congratulate" and worst of all, ingratiate!
And we don't see people do that on here??

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:04 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
No.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:44 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
No.
Great post. Thumbs Up Smooch Applause Cheers 

Too much? Winking

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:03 am

mikeyM1000 wrote:You're right Tenez, it's a double-edged sword. There are times when V2 is quieter and I quite enjoy that as well.

I'm not sure how anyone would go about getting new members on a forum, but I'm fairly sure that most Nadal fans would probably stay away from a forum that calls him the death of tennis, a doper and a cheating **** and the worse type of human being smiley But maybe that's the desired effect?

I once told NITB I'd post here more when Fed and Nadal had retired - because they're more trouble than they're worth, in terms of arguing about them. And as you once put it "Julius doesn't know much about tennis, but at least he doesn't pretend to." But who knows, you may still have to put up with the odd ill-informed post from me every now and then Winking
What a memory! Laugh I had forgotten that one. It's not so much knowledge that matters, it's the new angle , perspective brought up by posters that matters and is of interest to me at least. I for instance would not mind Nadal fans if they were bringing some new interesting angles from their players. But the fact is Nadal's detractors know Nadal's game and purpose better than his fans which means we can hardly have constructive discussions. If they were admitting straightaway that Nadal's game is great cause it's very powerful, energised, and can last for ever then we could start a proper discussion from there...It's like posters supporting a player because of nationality. No problem I can easily understand but it should not make them blind on the plus and minuses of their player. I know what are Tsonga and Gasquet strengths and weaknesses. It does not affect me nor my patriotic sentiments.

Anyhow...good night all.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:21 pm

mikeyM1000 wrote:Fair enough paulcz, although I not sure that your statement that v2 mods are a bit far away from being gods qualifies as a mature post Winking
I would have thought it self-evident.
Not every post/thread can (or should IMHO) delve deeply into the technical areas of tennis.
Tenez has expressed an opinion in the OP that OTF might not have enough posters to express different views. paul, if you're critical of 'witless' posters, presumably you would actively discourage some new posters from joining, if they didn't measure up to your standards (or ban the ones who joined but weren't good enough?).
This would go against the ethos of an open forum, accepting of all.
You can't have it both ways, surely?
I don't mind different views, but I appreaciate when I can read at least something which include own tennis perceptions, or it is informative or funny. If there is nothing from that, then I just don't read it.
When I look at v2, the most frequent posters don't convey practically nothing. Only thing is that their player is great, but their biggest rival is zero. I don't mind their posting either, but they should fulfill at least elementary sensitivness in posting, like not to jump over each thread with an effort to negate success of biggest rival their favorite player and remind us last matches, which their favorite player won. That is childish, stupid and unworthy. To be honest, that kind of witless twadle just come from posters of the disgusting player.
I can say that except one poster here on OTF, who is famous forum jumper and the greatest “changer” of names ever, all others are ok. I also need to say that this jumper has showed a step up, when stopped jumping at least into threads, which are not suitable for having such a babbling.
So, I think that OTF also shows its educative role even if we have no moderators. It is just a natural self-purification process. OTF posters are in general noticeably by far more open-minded, honest and call the sickness right names, which is utterly opposite to v2, which makes an impression that everything is actually fine. Why? The reason which you won't like it is, that it is due to supervision by moderators. That is really bad.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:32 pm

paulcz wrote:
When I look at v2, the most frequent posters don't convey practically nothing. Only thing is that their player is great, but their biggest rival is zero.
Phew, lucky you've never done that yourself Paul.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Tenez wrote:
paulcz wrote:I must clearly say that concept of OTF as an open forum, i.e. without activism of moderators is only one, which is correct. Even in the best case if moderators are gods, their activism by means of postings affect posters's discussions and therefore that kind of forum can't be never independent and fair. We also know that v2 moderators are a bit far away from being gods. Therefore there has been emerged a big bunch of posters, who know very little about tennis, don't give any tennis perceptions and just focus to big up their favorite player. Most of discussions are empty, lack tennis views and analysis and are witless. Quantity can't never overcome quality. OTF is much more mature and ahead of v2.
Send me your bank account details. Winking
That was for free Winking

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:45 pm

Less player bashing, better appreciation for ALL brands/styles of Tennis, less focus on illegal substance discussions. Each player is unique, be it Paire, Fognini, Safin, Hewitt or Nalbandian, or thousands of others. Anyone ever heard of Jiro Satoh? (if not read this - http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1085241/index.htm)

There was Tennis before Federer and Djokovic, and there will be Tennis after these two retire.

If you discuss/diss other Tennis forums, it just exposes the lack of identity of this one. Run

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:06 pm

You sound a bit bitter LF, not sure why you kicked us out not the other way round.
Thanks for your view and feel free to write about tennis before and after Federer and Djokovic, would be fascinate to read it, just no graphs and charts please....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:25 pm

laverfan wrote:
If you discuss/diss other Tennis forums, it just exposes the lack of identity of this one. Run

LF, your last comment is funny and clearly show what the v2 moderators  are.

Why a discussion about forums as OTF and V2 shows a lack of identity? That is a total rubbish. It is quite opposite. We are not afraid of a critism but vice versa. We want to speak as open as possible. I personnaly appreciate any open critical comments if they are honest.

V2 moderators, where did you come from Doh

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:27 pm

paulcz wrote:We want to speak as open as possible. I personnaly appreciate any open critical comments if they are honest.
But then if anyone is critical, you can simply accuse them of being dishonest.
... so not very open then is it.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 pm

noleisthebest wrote:You sound a bit bitter LF, not sure why you kicked us out not the other way round.
Thanks for your view and feel free to write about tennis before and after Federer and Djokovic, would be fascinate to read it, just no graphs and charts please....
On v2, graphs and charts are allowed smiley

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:37 pm

mikeyM1000 wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:You sound a bit bitter LF, not sure why you kicked us out not the other way round.
Yes, I remember.
Anything but saying things that show up Nadal is allowed. How else do you explain Tenez being banned. I am still waiting an apology on his behalf, as I was very upset because of it.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:37 pm

Nitb, actually I appreciate LF's charts and graphs more than some statements.  But that can come from the fact that I work at finance Winking

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:41 pm

It is much nicer to express oneself with words than numbers. At least for me.
And that comes from a former high school maths champ Cool 

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:46 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
mikeyM1000 wrote:
Yes, I remember.
Anything but saying things that show up Nadal is allowed. How else do you explain Tenez being banned. I am still waiting an apology on his behalf, as I was very upset because of it.
I have no explanation for it. If I had been around at the time I like to think it would have been handled differently, but I don't actually know exactly what happened. Maybe I would have been able to change the outcome, I don't know.
Would an apology from me be worth anything, given that it didn't involve me?

Nadal gets plenty of criticism on v2.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:47 pm

noleisthebest wrote:It is much nicer to express oneself with words than numbers. At least for me.
And that comes from a former high school maths champ Cool 
I thought that your great observation ability must have a  base in superb logic, no surprise Big Grin

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum