Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Will Nadal ever win a Tour Finals title?
Andymania & Andymoania EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:49 pm by Daniel2

» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Andymania & Andymoania EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:18 pm by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Andymania & Andymoania EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Andymania & Andymoania EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Andymania & Andymoania EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Andymania & Andymoania EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Andymania & Andymoania EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Andymania & Andymoania EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Andymania & Andymoania EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Andymania & Andymoania

5 posters

Go down

Andymania & Andymoania Empty Andymania & Andymoania

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:11 pm

With Wimbledon just around the corner, tennis fans in the UK are bracing themselves for another wave of Andymania: pages and pages of hyped up hopes for the first British player after Fred Perry to blah, blah, blah..... until it all flops flat on its face as usual.
The way Scotland seems eager and set to separate from Britain, journalist may need to change their lines soon.
Pundits will be rehearsing their well used phrases, taking a deep breath before telling the British media how he is number one favourite.

I look forward to the puns in headlines.

IN the meantime, Murray is only the second favourite with the bookies, from the man himself:

"I saw that with the bookies Djokovic is the favorite, I’m second favorite, then Rafa third, then Roger. But who knows with the way Rafa played at the French Open? He can beat anyone playing like that. But it’s a completely different surface and he hasn’t played on the grass for a year, so there will be some doubts there. He played incredibly well at the end of the tournament, especially against Djokovic, so physically he is in very good shape.”

And while Andimania lasts only a few weeks during Wimbledon, Andimoania is a constant undertone of AM tennis news. 

This time Andy Murray moans about Nadal being 5th ranked and calls for the two year ranking:

"That is unfortunately the way the ranking system works in tennis. It’s a one-year ranking whereas with golf it is a two-year ranking, so even if one of the best golfers in the world gets injured, they can still maintain their ranking. In tennis, if you miss four or five months it is almost impossible to maintain your ranking. So Rafa will be seeded five for Wimbledon, which is tough as he is better than that. Unfortunately, that is how our ranking system works…"

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Andymania & Andymoania Empty Re: Andymania & Andymoania

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:15 pm

noleisthebest wrote: "In tennis, if you miss four or five months it is almost impossible to maintain your ranking. So Rafa will be seeded five for Wimbledon, which is tough as he is better than that. Unfortunately, that is how our ranking system works…"

Very selfish way of thinking.
I bet he'd think very differently if he was 18-19 and ranked 200.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:22 pm

For Nadal fans who are hoping that Wimbledon unique ranking system scoring may up his ranking, Nadal has zero chance to do it:

"Had Nadal not pulled out of Halle this week, he would have had a chance to be seeded No. 4 at Wimbledon. Under Wimbledon’s seeding formula, it appears that Nadal doesn’t have a chance to surpass Ferrer.

The formula, which rewards grass-court performance, is as follows: Take all points at the end of this week (June 17), add 100 percent of points earned for all grass-court tournaments in the past 12 months, and add 75 percent of points earned for the best grass-court tournament in the 12 months before that. Under that formula, Nadal will be behind Ferrer."

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:32 pm

"He is better than that (nber 5)". Actually I think the first week he is much worse than 5th. It's only when the grass dries up that he becomes better.

I am really looking forward to that Wimbledon now...and teh draw shoudl be interesting too.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:15 pm

The press loves it and eats up as does Andy himself. I don't think it is much of a barrier to his performances on court. It annoys the hell out of me that the fareweather fans come out from their couch slumber and try support tennis by just watching Murray matches!

I am not impressed with his views on rankings. Another one of those I should be protected because I am special or worked hard for my ranking and why should illness or injury overthrow me. C'est La Vie Andy. If your good enough you can work your way back.

I am hoping for Queens like conditions.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:17 pm

legendkillar wrote:I am not impressed with his views on rankings. Another one of those I should be protected because I am special or worked hard for my ranking and why should illness or injury overthrow me. C'est La Vie Andy. If your good enough you can work your way back.

Completely agree cause injuries in sport often happen for a reason. It's only normal and fair in a way that players banking too much on fitness pay the bill one way or another.

And also why 2 years and not 3, 5? Finally a ranking over one year gives a pretty good pictire of the current state of the game. Take the example of Djoko losing to Nadal in that FO final. Very close indeed....According to Nadal and Murray, Djoko missing that easy match turning the match around should be on his shoulders for 2 years and not one? as if paying the price for a whole year was not bad enough. Luck does play a role in tennis like in most other sports, Let's not make it count 2 years....one is enough.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:01 am

Andimania is taking a new direction from the BBC this year. 
Penny for Gulbis's thoughts Winking

"BBC director Jo McCusker, who made a forthcoming BBC1 documentary about Andy Murray, says the U.S. Open champion isn’t exactly Mr. Excitement off-court.

“You don’t see anything flash because he doesn’t do anything flash. He doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t go out. And it all comes back to one word, mentioned by everyone we spoke to: ordinary.”

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:54 am

Well his game is even less flashy to me than his personality. In fact his personality raises strong feelings one way or another and that is a good thing.

One can like someone to win as mush as someone to lose. It's tennis, sport, a kind of modern roman circus.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Murray received an OBE from Prince William today. Nearly got late as testers knocked on the door this morning Laugh 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/index.html

Andymania & Andymoania Murray-obe-medal_2705004b

Poor Andy, still not a Sir despite winning Wimbledon....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Isn;t it hilarious how thoise testers alwats come after the battle....Murray is retiring from tennis for the rest of the year but they really expect him to cycle up now?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Now that you mentioned it, it actually comfirms that they are not only not interested in catching dopers, but also want to make themselves look good by testing Murray on the day he was receiving his
OBE, knowing they were going to deliberately make him late and thus get a mention/coverage in the media making themselves look as if they are doing their job and being really keen to catch dopers.
Do they really think we are all that stupid.....pathetic!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:29 pm

Exactly. It's all media comm!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:44 pm

They do think we are that stupid unfortunately. On this issue, most are.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:50 pm

The doping testers are a disgrace, how dare they make Murray's appointment with Prince William late.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Right on cue! The clients defender.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:06 pm

I wasn't being serious ski 

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:39 pm

The plot is thickening, maybe even deja vu-ing Winking
Murray likely to miss AO:

"I hope so, but I’m not going to come back unless I’m 100 percent fit. I’ve got a long way to go yet,” he said. “I’ve been in the swimming pool and on the bike a little bit but it’s still going to be four or five weeks until I’m back on the tennis court hitting some balls. The rehab process is pretty tedious and long and I don’t want to come back too soon and have to start that process all over again. I’ll only come back when I’m 100 percent fit and I hope that’s at the beginning of the year.”

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/10/murray-unsure-about-2014-australian-open/49499/#.UmGNtZSYC04

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:57 pm

yes...interesting.His back problem goes back to the clay season, yet wins Wimby but is injured again after that.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum