Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
The Vets tour EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
The Vets tour EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
The Vets tour EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
The Vets tour EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
The Vets tour EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
The Vets tour EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
The Vets tour EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
The Vets tour EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
The Vets tour EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

The Vets tour

2 posters

Go down

The Vets tour Empty The Vets tour

Post by Tenez Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Out of curiosity I was watching a live link of McEnroe Leconte match. Leconte completely out of shape, McEnroe looking like a very old man while still playing the moody teenager emulating his best outburst. Pathetique!!!! Ok I watched it 10mn cause there was a free link but I really don;t see the points of entertaining those kind of "spectacles".

However I am old enough to remember a 17 yo McEnroe with his long curly hair, very childish face and body even. It really hit me that a whole generation had come and gone. It's accentuated by the very white hair of McEnroe who makes him look more like a 70yo than a 54.

Time flies. That's all I can say.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

The Vets tour Empty Re: The Vets tour

Post by noleisthebest Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:31 pm

I am a bit less judgemental towards the oldies, mainly because I have learnt that with age maturity does not come as a norm, on the contrary - it's a rarity these days.
People refuse to age gracefully and it seems it's a shame to be old. Pump those faces with botox until it freezes so you can't crack a smile, pop hormone pills in so you can fill the thrill one more time....

I love watching older people and have had an opportunity to experience that aspect in tennis when I visited Royal Albert Hall to see Nole receive the humanitarian award from Prince William as well as a few exhibition matches from the Champions' tour (Vets): Goran, Tim, Wilander, Cash, Becker, Borg, Leconte, Bahrami....

Firstly, the venue was a total shocker for a tennis match: I was not used to watching tennis in a concert hall, so that added to the special, classic frame of gilt and splendour to the occasion.

The crowd and "oldies" were there for a nostalgia trip. Yet, the glamorous setting was not able to comprehend and conquer the wild spirit all those players still carry about them. That was a nice surprise and I liked it. No pretense. No dinner jackets and bow ties, no full stomachs from the gala dinner they had just had could stop Becker and Borg from leaving their comfortable premier seats and answering the call of joy and promise tennis ball and have a hit with Nole, also dressed in a suit.
There they all were, leaping about the court like in the old days, happy to be alive in that locked up capsule of time that stopped for a while for them. And us watching them.
The next day they all probably woke up sore headed from the good dinner and wine and heavy hearted from the mundane reality they had to face like the rest of us.
Johnny Mac was not throwing any tantrums, but there again, he was in his beloved London, saying that that tournament is now their Wimbledon, there was a photo of him standing outside RAH all smiles.
And that really touched me.
Yes time flies, hair grows grey, but so what....some still have the spark about them and refuse to wear the long face in public.
I haven't seen him throw those "teenage tantrums" in whatever link you saw, but did see him do it in some other tournament. I found it funny, never took it seriously, he was just putting on a show, probably asked by the organisers to do it. Same as they used to hassle Nole to imitate or dance at trophy presentations.

Tennis allows you to remain young in spirit all your life.
Almost every time I go to my club I see these 70 and 80 year olds running about in their super old gear chasing the ball, so happy and it's a sweet sight.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:45 pm

I like it when they do tricks a la Barhami...the rest is hopeless I find.

And this forced humour and acting really irritates me. I like some of the players but I feel I'd be doing them a favour watching them....a charitable gesture. The Vets tour 2998105013

They are addicted to being on centre stage and need an audience. Not me.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:02 am

Again, I don't judge whether they are addicted to the centre stage or not.
At the end of the day that was their "job" for years, so they come back to it like retired actors for another rappor with the audience.

I don't think any of them started playing tennis because they wanted the centre stage. That came to the very few because of their talent, hard work and excellence.

Even if they do, again, so what? They don't need to be branded with the usual diagnosis of egomaniacal urge for recognition, maybe just an escape from the everyday self and jumping into a wonderland of joyful play.

I found it refreshing to see them try their best to sweat out one last drop of magic their ageing bodies could perform, the crowd recognises, appreciates and enjoys it.
I don't think anyone came for and expected a dash and flash of Federer-style dazzle, although they produced some beautiful touches you can't see on pro tour now.

I don't know....I don't slave to junk in the house and throw away anything I don't need with pleasure.
But with these "hopeless and irritating", obsolete "objects" that can't play "proper" tennis any more, I think I'll keep them. I'll find a little drawer for them somewhere in my heart and open it to have a look now and then. Just to see if they are still giggling and winking The Vets tour 1071211947

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:26 am

noleisthebest wrote:Even if they do, again, so what? They don't need to be branded with the usual diagnosis of egomaniacal urge for recognition, maybe just an escape from the everyday self and jumping into a wonderland of joyful play.
No different than us then but we don't need the crowd. I am just surprised there is a market for it. I told you I took my son to RAH and it was fun...but he was 10 or so....and he still prefered then the real Wimby.

I found it refreshing to see them try their best to sweat out one last drop of magic their ageing bodies could perform, the crowd recognises, appreciates and enjoys it.
Opposite for me...
I don't know....I don't slave to junk in the house and throw away anything I don't need with pleasure.
But with these "hopeless and irritating", obsolete "objects" that can't play "proper" tennis any more, I think I'll keep them. I'll find a little drawer for them somewhere in my heart and open it to have a look now and then. Just to see if they are still giggling and winking The Vets tour 1071211947
Sure. And though I don't quite understand how they manage to get an audience....I m happy they have one....it makes both sides happy.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down